Pick 4 Adelaide and Port

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 4 Adelaide and Port

which is why pick 6 plus bonus would be the best option (other than holding 4)
I'd personally (on 3 mins of highlight packages admittedly), take Smith anyway....we would be odds on to get him at 6, and then still get the bonus pick

Nee!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I really don't think we can afford to settle though.

If these teams want to deal, f*** me I would be bending them over the table.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

it could be we make murmurs about accepting Adelaide bid, and Port rush in with a #6 and #10 bid?

Nee!
Saintnickyroo

We should hang on to this pick or look to trade up to try and get Izak Rankine. He’d be the most exciting player for us since Nicky Winmar.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I do get the feeling that Rankine would want to go home in a couple of years though.

Money, money, money.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Or Rankine goes at pick 3 and we are left with Rozee, Smith or King......this is the most likely scenario, hence our power is now , not on draft day, unless GC do the King brothers .....can't they just tell us??

Maybe Carlton take Lukosius and have a real forward line....something no-one seems to consider, in which case the Kings might go to GCS and we might have the choice of Walsh and Smith and Rankine???

Nee!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

4 and Dunstan/Newnes/Lonie/Armo for 6 and 10 would be a steal. That's a stupid trade for Port though so we should really just keep the pick and take Smith who will be a 250 game onballer for us. We have such an easy decision in front of us (taking the skillful, high production, hard running, quick, strong midfielder) but I have a feeling we're either going to trade away pick 4 for multiple picks or take the ruckman sized teenage key forward coming off an ACL who can't kick straight when we already have 5 young key forwards fighting for a spot in the side.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 1:59pm Or Rankine goes at pick 3 and we are left with Rozee, Smith or King......this is the most likely scenario, hence our power is now , not on draft day, unless GC do the King brothers .....can't they just tell us??

Maybe Carlton take Lukosius and have a real forward line....something no-one seems to consider, in which case the Kings might go to GCS and we might have the choice of Walsh and Smith and Rankine???
A lot people rank Smith over Rankine...

Knight mare on BF reckons he’ll be better than Walsh though Walsh will go first

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Slight surprise given Lukosious and Rankine considered "generational", seems there is a standout top 3, and excellent top 7, very good top 15-20
[/quote]

Imagine if you could have picked up a generational player and traded it away. You would feel like such a fool.

We are years away from finals get a gun in now and look ti the future, we have enough OK players now lets get the star that will not only lift our team but attract other guns to St Kilda.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

We should deploy the 10 foot pole to the SA kids, particularly Lukotious and Rankine. The risk of them demanding to go home in two years is way too high. The Adelaide Clubs will be into them from day 1 and be on a mission to get them.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 1:59pm Or Rankine goes at pick 3 and we are left with Rozee, Smith or King......this is the most likely scenario, hence our power is now , not on draft day, unless GC do the King brothers .....can't they just tell us??

You actually have the advantage NOW and on draft night as all of the speculation over whom gets drafted before pick 4 is just that - speculation.

But - if on draft night - Walsh and both Kings are gone leaving both Rankine and Lukocious - then I can absolutely see PA or Adl throwing the world to us to guarantee getting one of them. It's like Freo and Hogan - it's all there for the taking ... you just have to pay the price.

Right now - if we were to trade 4, we'd likely get 6 and 15 (via the Dawks) from PA. But come draft night - if Rankine and Lukocious are both there - that's when the Saints bend either of them over in a one-sided horse trade for the best combo of picks. PA and Adl know it and so do the Saints.

That's why I don't care whether we take 4 to the draft (so long as we take the best mid and not a King) as if we don't, we're going to do a seriously one-sided trade with PA or Adl that will still get us a jet midfielder + a free 1st round pick.

Go you red, black & white warriors
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Just as an aside, I noted an article on afl.com.au stating that if the Suns were to trade May they were certain to be awarded an EARLY first round compensation pick. :o

I thought it would be an END of first round compensation pick, surely!?! Of course, this would absolutely reek of the AFL's leg up they gave Melbourne with a #3 compensation pick for Frawley, so it's not out of the question. I have my doubts there will be a trade for May this trade period, but if it happens, could we be going into the draft with...

...PICK #5???

I'd say we'd have no chance of landing Rankine or Walsh from that position, possibly missing either Smith or Rozee too. :(

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Tue 16 Oct 2018 8:37am Just as an aside, I noted an article on afl.com.au stating that if the Suns were to trade May they were certain to be awarded an EARLY first round compensation pick. :o

I thought it would be an END of first round compensation pick, surely!?! Of course, this would absolutely reek of the AFL's leg up they gave Melbourne with a #3 compensation pick for Frawley, so it's not out of the question. I have my doubts there will be a trade for May this trade period, but if it happens, could we be going into the draft with...

...PICK #5???

I'd say we'd have no chance of landing Rankine or Walsh from that position, possibly missing either Smith or Rozee too. :(
I was of the understanding that the compensation pick in the first round is a cumulative thing - ie if you give and get Free Agents you will be downgraded in your compansation, if you give up two then the total value of the two that you give up would determine the compensation pick, ie two 2nd round equivalent FAs might equate to 1 end of first round pick etc

I also dont think May is a Free Agent - so that is irrelevant - I think the article is meaning if they do not trade him this year and wait for a compo pick when he is a free agent.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 16 Oct 2018 8:45am I also dont think May is a Free Agent - so that is irrelevant - I think the article is meaning if they do not trade him this year and wait for a compo pick when he is a free agent.
Ah, you're right...got a year left on his contract, so they must have been talking about 2019. I've now called off the winged monkey attack on AFL House.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It is all about pick #5 and who holds it and the player they believe best suits their club. If it is Brisbane (& they lose Beams) they will want a mid. If it is the Suns, perhaps they snaffle all the Adelaide boys, keep them together & hope the chance of being a part of history (a good Suns history) is more important than heading back home.
We cannot afford to draft King IMO. Smith could be our Cripps without a go home factor lurking.
Port I believe would deal, so would Adelaide, but Smith will be gone if we deal with Adelaide because Port would take him.
Fingers crossed we don't get smart by half as we tried to do with Ball & Judd. Our recruiters need some awareness.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I like Rankine... however, I could live with taking Smith at 4 if both are there.

They are pbly both gone at 6... would have to be a hell of an offer