Jimmy Webster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint-stu
Club Player

Re: Jimmy Webster

jaxons wrote:
lintonstreet wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 9:31pm Jaxons clearly hasnt been watching JW this season.
He's not only beaten his opponents he's been our best defender.
He's strong overhead and fearless in the contest.
hang on what am I doing - arguing with an idiot.....

Strong overhead hey....how many contested marks do you think he has taken this year?
I know the answer!
Isn't it amazing how when people disagree with your opinion they have to get personal.
Would respect you more if you disagreed with some good reasoning rather than insulting personally.
You're speaking about a person when say he's one of the most average players you've seen and he's "a plodder".

1ac46a38
jaxons
Club Player

saint-stu wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 11:30pm
jaxons wrote:
lintonstreet wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 9:31pm Jaxons clearly hasnt been watching JW this season.

Strong overhead hey....how many contested marks do you think he has taken this year?
I know the answer!
Isn't it amazing how when people disagree with your opinion they have to get personal.
Would respect you more if you disagreed with some good reasoning rather than insulting personally.
You're speaking about a person when say he's one of the most average players you've seen and he's "a plodder".
I am speaking about his football ability.

saint-stu
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
saint-stu wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 11:30pm
jaxons wrote:

I know the answer!
I am speaking about his football ability.
Maybe Linton is speaking about your posting ability.

1ac46a38
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018 11:54pm Watch the game closely people.
When he hits a kick well it all looks ok, but he hits 5 to 6 out of 10.
Also falls over a lot and gets beaten one on one a lot, and panics with the footy, its like a hot potato in his hands.
I do not dispute he has had his best year personally and he is courageous, but I think he is highly overrated, and will never be elite.
I am looking at our side 2-3 years from now and in the long term I prefer McKenzie, Coffield, White and Rice, my view is they all will be better players than he is now.
Sorry for having an opinion.
Agree that Webster is not calm under pressure and goes to ground in contests too often.

Agree that in 1-2 years those 4 players SHOULD be better options down back.

I would prefer to see Webster as an outside midfielder using his speed and elite kicking in some space and hitting leads in the forward 50. Have been saying so all year.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saint-stu
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:
Also falls over a lot and gets beaten one on one a lot, and panics with the footy, its like a hot potato in his hands.
I do not dispute he has had his best year personally and he is courageous, but I think he is highly overrated, and will never be elite.
I am looking at our side 2-3 years from now and in the long term I prefer McKenzie, Coffield, White and Rice, my view is they all will be better players than he is now.
Agree that Webster is not calm under pressure and goes to ground in contests too often.
Not calm under pressure? He has been one of the only players to stand up and fight when the team is getting smashed.

1ac46a38
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 11:58pm
BackFromUSA wrote:
Not calm under pressure? He has been one of the only players to stand up and fight when the team is getting smashed.
When he has ball in hand and under pressure he doesn’t assess options well and distribute to the best option. He definitely gives effort, fight and hardness AND has pace to burn. Would love him on a wing giving lace out passes to the leading forwards. I think he is the wingman we need.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Must admit this thread caught me by surprise.
I thought jimmy has stepped up this year and has progressed.
I haven't noticed him fall over that much.
I also see him take the tough kick to have us rebound aggressively.
He is not elite, but with more support could be for mine.
I agree stats can be misleading.
He has great closing speed in a marking contest and often spoils when others couldn't.
I agree on white and rice needing to be developed, I like both of them. Not sold on Mckenzie, takes a great contested mark and is courageous as the come but his disposal is too scrappy.
Coffield moves like Lenny for mine, different player.
Both savage and geary have had very average years for mine. Savage especially has had the opportunity of a lifetime this year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote: Mon 09 Jul 2018 6:57am Must admit this thread caught me by surprise.
He has great closing speed in a marking contest and often spoils when others couldn't.
I agree on white and rice needing to be developed, I like both of them. Not sold on Mckenzie, takes a great contested mark and is courageous as the come but his disposal is too scrappy.
Both savage and geary have had very average years for mine. Savage especially has had the opportunity of a lifetime this year.
Good post.

derby Street
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 09 Jul 2018 10:48am
maverick wrote: Mon 09 Jul 2018 6:57am Must admit this thread caught me by surprise.
Good post.
Agree - Savage is the one that has escaped scrutiny for some reason. A soft defender who cannot contain a player and just about bombs it long every time down the line where it comes back with interest

spert
Saintsational Legend

One of our big problems this season is the lack of players willing to go for the hard option in winning the ball. One of a few we have who really contests hard with his body is Webster, and DMac..trouble is, we need 18 players on the field willing to put their heads in and get the hard ball.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I don't understand all this criticism of Webster.

saint-stu
Club Player

saynta wrote:I don't understand all this criticism of Webster.
We got him for pick 42 and he is performing better than most of our players. He is the least of our problems.

1ac46a38
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Mon 09 Jul 2018 12:30pm I don't understand all this criticism of Webster.
s*** stirring its called!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Mon 09 Jul 2018 11:14am One of our big problems this season is the lack of players willing to go for the hard option in winning the ball. One of a few we have who really contests hard with his body is Webster, and DMac..trouble is, we need 18 players on the field willing to put their heads in and get the hard ball.
I think I disagree.

I think Richo's mantra about being 'strong' and 'pressure' is a bit of a furphy.

I actually think we give pretty good pressure. There's plenty of guys that are hard as nails - Armitage, Webster, McCartin, Steven, Carlisle, Stevens and more that consistently stand in front of packs and or put their head over the ball (literally).

The problem is execution and method behind the 'pressure' that is lacking. We lost Contested Ball against Melbourne, lost Inside 50s, lost the Tackle count, lost Contested Marks and had less Tackles Inside 50 - and let them score 117 Points!

If that's what Richo means when he talks about being 'strong' and 'pressure' - then I'm completely confused! What would the stats look like if weren't 'strong' and hadn't have brought 'pressure'!!

But we moved the ball well. We were efficient with our Inside 50s. We had some strategy and some method to the way we played which was what won us the game.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Webster is not a star and for the life of me I can't see how anyone who watches the game thinks he has pace to burn is is elite or A grade.

The fact he would be high in the B&F this year shows how much time the ball spends in our defensive half and how poor our top end talent is.

Webster is however IMO - super courageous, good user on his left side, good overhead for his size, reasonable decision maker in that he usually uses first option well, reasonable one on one player, has few deficiencies and has improved in areas he was deficient such as going to ground in a contest.

I think he is a solid B+ player who would get picked up by another club in a heartbeat should he leave the saints, while many players getting a game would not. Only Roberton (if playing) of the current HBF on our list would be ahead of him right now and I find it difficult to understand how Jaxons who is normally quite reserved has this opinion. Maybe he sees how much Webster gets pumped up internally or maybe he's Jack Billings dad, who knows?

We are a much better team with Jimmy playing and I'm a lot more confident when he has ball in hand than many of his team mates.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
stonecold
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote: Sun 08 Jul 2018 9:47pm

I know the answer!
Jimmy is NOT strong overhead what so ever!!!!!

Has many other strengths, however is not strong overhead, I don't think Jaxons is running Jimmy down, just pointing out a few obvious weaknesses!!!!!

Not speaking for Jax, just airing my take on Jaxons thoughts!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

derby Street wrote: Mon 09 Jul 2018 11:06am
saynta wrote: Mon 09 Jul 2018 10:48am
Good post.
Agree - Savage is the one that has escaped scrutiny for some reason. A soft defender who cannot contain a player and just about bombs it long every time down the line where it comes back with interest
Savage has been a very overrated player on this forum for about 2 years...
Had a minor good patch after returning from being dropped last year... other than that he has largely been mediocre

takeaway
Club Player

I disagree with Jaxons. "One of the most average players he has seen at the Saints" ??? Now that is over the top. Makes skill errors but that is because he is having a go, often starts attacks and defends desperately. Having a great year, up around the top in the B & F. Not as good last week but just back. His passing has also improved markedly.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

jaxons wrote: Sat 07 Jul 2018 9:06pm Not sure what the fuss is about this bloke.
One of the most average players I have ever seen at the Saints.
Falls over at the wrong time always, and also turns it over often.
Everyone has fallen in love with him.
We have so many half back flankers who will be better than him.
McKenzie, Coffield, White, Rice, Savage, Newnes, Roberton.
Webster, just a plodder for mine.
You have no frigging idea, this post just proves it. He is the best kick at the club by miles, courageous quick, good overhead, doesn't get beaten in a one on one contest and would've won the best and fairest if he hadn't go injured.
Comparing Dmac, Savage and Newnes to him is just plain stupid

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Extracting the urine? A very weird post from someone who's normally more measured

barneyboyz
Club Player

I don't totally disagree. He can look pretty good or pretty ordinary, but mostly looks uncoordinated. I think the problem is in having him and the captain in the same side, both can butcher it, add Sammy and...

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Vazelos
Club Player

Jaxons and USA's opinion had relevance in years gone by but this year he has stepped up significantly.
Its been mentioned in main media this year its generally accepted he has become a good player this season.
Can someone do a better job? Potentially possibly but its still potential not reality.
Rice, White & players of that ilk have only started to break through and they are in their early 20s.
Savage for mine is not a better player, he is a good player in a middle of the road team but in a finals team he is too soft defensively.
Next season Webster will show his level, will he build from 2018 form or go back to years previously when he did turn the ball over and go to ground at crucial times.
Time will tell but for mine he is in our best 18 at this stage.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If we had a list full of Jimmy Websters we'd be in the finals. All players make errors, but Jimmy has had a very good year imo

The kid has a go and he has performed his role. He is first and foremost a defender, and he does this better than Savage, or most of the other half back flankers. I never see Jimmy hanging out the back to receive and bomb it to no-one or looking for cheap possessions like some of our mids or some of our back flankers.

If more of our players would concentrate their energy on creating opportunities for running the footy through the centre instead of getting cheapies and then just bombing it up the line to a contest we would be higher up the ladder. Jimmy is damaging by foot and he at least has a go and tries to penetrate zones with his run or with his bullet passes.

The Barometer
Club Player

Is hardly the issue with our backline. Newnes, Geary, Gilbert on the other hand...

barneyboyz
Club Player

The Barometer wrote: Fri 13 Jul 2018 8:57am Is hardly the issue with our backline. Newnes, Geary, Gilbert on the other hand...
I was pretty harsh on Jimmy, I have to admit, and I've been impressed with him too, but I suppose it's the collective of those players down back. It's a butchers picnic at times (include some mids here too).

I would like to see Jimmy play forward of the ball, given the time to set himself he can kick beautifully

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink: