The Pelchen Legacy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Pelchen Legacy

I am curious WW and thank you for the insight but what exactly do you credit pelican with while at the club ?

“Yeah….nah””
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Pelchen Legac

There's no doubt he brought in different ideas about list management, especially around trading aggressively and rebuilding from the ground up. Some of this was on the agenda when he got there, but I believe he did put some structures in place and some discipline in the process. The acquisition of a number of first and second round picks, for example. The focus on a longer term strategy, rather than the shorter term focus of the recent past.

The aggressive trading out of players he deemed not part of the future, but had value at the trade table. He was unsentimental in this. He certainly was part of the famous "excel spreadsheet" which really was a more complex database that considered multiple aspects and put it into a co-ordinated format. It wasn't rocket science, but it was a step in the right direction.

My point is, he's not a"clueless dud", which some have accused me of calling him. I acknowledge his expertise and knowledge. I have issue as to what is ascribed to, and claimed by him. The easing of salary cap problems is one that has been widely attributed to him in the media. I think Ameet might have something to say about that. Even the things I have mentioned here were not exclusively due to him. Elshaug brought in some of his advisors, and was given far more resources. Bains is a genius who really must take the bulk of the credit, with Matt Finnis the real driver behind many of the changes to structures which have led to our revival. In the end, there was no room for The Pelican. I think Finnis pulled the right rein. My final thought is if he was as good as he and others would tell you, he'd still be there, or others would've been chopped. He was part of a team. I think he might disagree with that last bit.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I am determined to blame Pelchen for every single recruiting mistake we made and simultaneously retract all credit from anything good that happened whilst he was with us...

Just like Ross Lyon...

Btw Richo is an absolute genius*... TBC

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

This is interesting reading, but is it really relevant to the club's current situation?
Pelican came in, brought in some changes, assisted in building a better, improved structure, stepped on a few toes, and was shown the door.

The folks now at the club in positions of authority are, as in all organisations,
fully accountable for their actions, and have their own KPI's and targets to achieve.
Pelican has no further influence at the club, and should be a part of the past.

By a strange coincidence, a lady friend spoke to me today, a little upset-
A unit/villa she purchased a few years ago, her first house, is for sale, and together we looked at pictures on the net-
the owners had removed 4 small trees from the backyard, trees which took about 10 years or more to develop; the grass is removed and replaced with paving.
Colourbond roofing patio has been erected in the yard, shutting all natural light to the kitchen; the patio covers the entire small rear yard.
I was very sad with the changes, just like she is. But things change and the owners have a right to change things. It's not her unit any more.

Seaford is not Pelican's club now.
He is gone, disappeared, just a footnote, a paragraph in the history books.
When our guys hold the cup soon, Pelican won't be in the rooms, he won't be spoken of by the media, he is irrelevant. He is a distant memory.
Move on.
Last edited by WellardSaint on Sat 29 Oct 2016 8:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:There's no doubt he brought in different ideas about list management, especially around trading aggressively and rebuilding from the ground up. Some of this was on the agenda when he got there, but I believe he did put some structures in place and some discipline in the process. The acquisition of a number of first and second round picks, for example. The focus on a longer term strategy, rather than the shorter term focus of the recent past.

The aggressive trading out of players he deemed not part of the future, but had value at the trade table. He was unsentimental in this. He certainly was part of the famous "excel spreadsheet" which really was a more complex database that considered multiple aspects and put it into a co-ordinated format. It wasn't rocket science, but it was a step in the right direction.

My point is, he's not a"clueless dud", which some have accused me of calling him. I acknowledge his expertise and knowledge. I have issue as to what is ascribed to, and claimed by him. The easing of salary cap problems is one that has been widely attributed to him in the media. I think Ameet might have something to say about that. Even the things I have mentioned here were not exclusively due to him. Elshaug brought in some of his advisors, and was given far more resources. Bains is a genius who really must take the bulk of the credit, with Matt Finnis the real driver behind many of the changes to structures which have led to our revival. In the end, there was no room for The Pelican. I think Finnis pulled the right rein. My final thought is if he was as good as he and others would tell you, he'd still be there, or others would've been chopped. He was part of a team. I think he might disagree with that last bit.
So summarising.

- He was good for us and helped to get our recruiting, which was previously dismal, going in a lot better, logical and systematic direction with also log-term thinking.
- His services were made redundant by us building up our expertise with a number of new appointments
- You are worried that he claims too much credit

Personally I would be a lot more concerned if the first point had not have happened, and that instead he was a "nice" selfless bloke who was still at the club.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Remember the Apollo space project?
Saturn V rocket- the first stage ignited violently, launched the whole thing into the upper atmosphere, it detached and fell into the Atlantic Ocean;
second stage fired up and pushed the guys into Low Earth Orbit, detached and fell and burned up; the third stage pushed the capsule towards the moon and detached when it was empty.

Pelican is like the second stage. Took over after someone else had launched the changes.When his job was done, he detached. Bye bye.
No longer useful, and in fact hanging around will just hold everything back. Just go, thanks for what you achieved, now just go. We'll take it from here.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
White Winmar wrote:There's no doubt he brought in different ideas about list management, especially around trading aggressively and rebuilding from the ground up. Some of this was on the agenda when he got there, but I believe he did put some structures in place and some discipline in the process. The acquisition of a number of first and second round picks, for example. The focus on a longer term strategy, rather than the shorter term focus of the recent past.

So summarising.

- He was good for us and helped to get our recruiting, which was previously dismal, going in a lot better, logical and systematic direction with also log-term thinking.
- His services were made redundant by us building up our expertise with a number of new appointments
- You are worried that he claims too much credit

Personally I would be a lot more concerned if the first point had not have happened, and that instead he was a "nice" selfless bloke who was still at the club.
Not a bad summation. I don't think our recruitment was dismal, but needed improvement, better resourcing and a new direction. Needs and goals had changed. I am not worried about it, just stated my case as I saw it and asked others for their opinions. I thought I set the facts out pretty plainly in my first post.

My main point is we could've been so much better with less ego and more co operation. The story of the club in many ways, but that is in the past. The new, current crew deserves great credit and is doing better without him. I think that might be the CEO's take on it as well.The future looks bright because it appears the saints are harmonious at last.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Pelican Brief

there have been a few headaches along the way... GT and Butterss going from best mates since childhood, to cold-shoulder dislike...
getting Watters in a move which backfired badly, and we had to pay him out...
At last the important folk seem to have a valid plan, and are singing from the same hymn book.

Somebody realised Pelican was not a good fit and they did a Survivor on him and got him to walk.

Everyone working together for the betterment of the club, we are seeing the birth of a golden era.

Good times.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Pelican Brief

WellardSaint wrote:there have been a few headaches along the way... GT and Butterss going from best mates since childhood, to cold-shoulder dislike...
getting Watters in a move which backfired badly, and we had to pay him out...
At last the important folk seem to have a valid plan, and are singing from the same hymn book.

Somebody realised Pelican was not a good fit and they did a Survivor on him and got him to walk.

Everyone working together for the betterment of the club, we are seeing the birth of a golden era.

Good times.
Hear, hear, WS.

supersaints
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:Remember the Apollo space project?
Saturn V rocket- the first stage ignited violently, launched the whole thing into the upper atmosphere, it detached and fell into the Atlantic Ocean;
second stage fired up and pushed the guys into Low Earth Orbit, detached and fell and burned up; the third stage pushed the capsule towards the moon and detached when it was empty.

Pelican is like the second stage. Took over after someone else had launched the changes.When his job was done, he detached. Bye bye.
No longer useful, and in fact hanging around will just hold everything back. Just go, thanks for what you achieved, now just go. We'll take it from here.
Now I'm totally confused ....White Winmar said it wasn't rocket science?

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:Remember the Apollo space project?

Now I'm totally confused ....White Winmar said it wasn't rocket science?
Not even rocket science, is rocket science, super saints! :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:The story of the club in many ways, but that is in the past. The new, current crew deserves great credit and is doing better without him. I think that might be the CEO's take on it as well.The future looks bright because it appears the saints are harmonious at last.
Well we are in violent agreement there.

From the outside it appears that we have the best off-field team since the sixties, if they can keep it together and if they can keep all pulling in the one direction. At the start of the Butters-GT-Kellet-Ryan-Waldron era it was all going fabulous, but after setting us up for great success they fractured.

I know many want to dish Lyon for his time with us, but his offield team was pretty much a joke and Wastaway would have to go down as one of our worst President's ever. existant. GF appearances by an AFL team with such an inpept offield team would be rare if not non-existant. The Doggies snatched a flag this year and great credit goes to Bevo. But they were also kicking goals off-field including their recruiting team.

Finnis is also very good as he clearly understands too that it is not just the "football" side that you need to get right, but also the "members' and fan;s side of things.

And YES this is why I am so excited and enthused about the Saints at present as we seem to be doing all things well. And yes members also seem to not just just be numbers to our Admin any more.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 30 Oct 2016 9:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
White Winmar wrote:The story of the club in many ways, but that is in the past. The new, current crew deserves great credit and is doing better without him. I think that might be the CEO's take on it as well.The future looks bright because it appears the saints are harmonious at last.

From the outside it appears that we have the best off-field team since the sixties, if they can keep it together and if they can keep all pulling in the one direction. At the start of the Butters-GT-Kellet-Ryan-Waldron era it was all going fabulous, but after setting us up for great success they fractured.

I know many want to dish Lyon for his time with us, but his offield team was pretty much a joke and Wastaway would have to go down as one of our worst President's ever. existant. GF appearances by an AFL team with such an inpept offield team would be rare if not non-existant. The Doggies snatched a flag this year and great credit goes to Bevo. But they were also kicking goals off-field including their recruiting team.

Finnis is also very good as he clearly understands too that it is not just the "football" side that you need to get right, but also the "members' and fans side of things.

And YES this is why I am so exited and enthused about the Saints at present as we seem to be doing all things well. And yes members also seem to not just just be numbers to our Admin any more.
I live in Perth, and I got an email from the club for my printable e-ticket, about 8-10 days before the Eagles game.
I didn't print it off straight away.
The day before the game, I got a phone call from somebody from the club-
asking me whether I get the email ok, did I need assistance, etc.

Shocked, I asked them to confirm some details about me, which they did.
Unbelievable, and is an example of the caring attitude to members.
(There's 666 folks on the Western Saints facebook page, so I suppose there's up to 1,000 WA members.)
There could be some people with incorrect email addresses, or who are unable to print off a ticket. How's that for "members first"? :D :mrgreen:
Good on the club for being proactive, well done and I am impressed

loris
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Finnis is also very good as he clearly understands too that it is not just the "football" side that you need to get right, but also the "members' and fans side of things.

And YES this is why I am so exited and enthused about the Saints at present as we seem to be doing all things well. And yes members also seem to not just just be numbers to our Admin any more.
I live in Perth, and I got an email from the club for my printable e-ticket, about 8-10 days before the Eagles game.
I didn't print it off straight away.
The day before the game, I got a phone call from somebody from the club-
asking me whether I get the email ok, did I need assistance, etc.

Shocked, I asked them to confirm some details about me, which they did.
Unbelievable, and is an example of the caring attitude to members.
(There's 666 folks on the Western Saints facebook page, so I suppose there's up to 1,000 WA members.)
There could be some people with incorrect email addresses, or who are unable to print off a ticket. How's that for "members first"? :D :mrgreen:
Good on the club for being proactive, well done and I am impressed
Same with me Wellard Saint when I received my E-ticket. Thought I wouldn't print it off until a few days before the game. Club also phoned me, stating they saw I hadn't as yet actioned my ticket, did I need assistance in accessing it & printing it.
I was rather chuffed by this follow up by the Club.