Tony 74, What's up with Billings?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tony 74, What's up with Billings?

magnifisaint wrote:Looks like Tony 74 is withholding sensitive information.
How do you figure that?

#1 Ryder fan
saynta
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:Impatient Saints is not even a member. All he does is pot our players.

Buy a membership <edited by mods>

Not a supporter in my opinion.
Bunk it is well known the club has up to 700k supporters with 37k members, so really that is a dumb comment. You dont have to be a financial member to support the club. I have been a member for a lot of years but I just got sick of the off field disasters our club seems to find itself in and made a statement.

I have never lived in Melbourne so I dont get the value of the membership that most do and the club has never seemed to value interstate members, for what they are 'donors'. You know if they sent you a team poster or even some decent memorabilia it would make you feel valued, but they dont.

On potting players - I have criticised Jack because I think he is cruising and not delivering on his potential. I want more for him and the club which I think he can deliver but he needs to put his nose down and fully commit. As is the case for any other player that gets critiqued.
My brother lives in Adelaide and is lucky to get here for one match a year but still supports the club with a membership.
My personal opinion is that only club members should be able to post on saintsational.
Yep, I would go along with that.

Been a member through think and the thin.. Fair weather supporters we can do without.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote: I have criticised Jack because I think he is cruising and not delivering on his potential
Well he is cruising alongside two of the best rated youngsters in the land in Bontempelli and Josh Kelly

At a quick look his stats are also extremely comaparable against Luke Ball And Dal Santo in their 3rd years

So shove that up your critique
Luke Ball's career amounted to zip and Dal Santo was and still is soft as butter. Great reference Devilhead you win....
anyone who refers to Nick Dal Santo as soft as butter is a complete fool and knows absolutely bugger all about footy. Dal has averages 8.89 contested possessions per game over his entire career, Lenny Hayes who is undoubtedly one of the hardest blokes ever to play the game averaged 9 contested possessions per game.
both players averaged a total of 22 disposals per game.

And Luke Ball played 221 AFL games, won a B&F, came second twice, was All Australian, Captained an AFL team and won a premiership so to say his career amounted to zip is just ridiculous. You are just making yourself look stupid
You can rest your case there. I can smell troll.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote: I have criticised Jack because I think he is cruising and not delivering on his potential
Well he is cruising alongside two of the best rated youngsters in the land in Bontempelli and Josh Kelly

At a quick look his stats are also extremely comaparable against Luke Ball And Dal Santo in their 3rd years

Luke Ball's career amounted to zip and Dal Santo was and still is soft as butter. Great reference Devilhead you win....
anyone who refers to Nick Dal Santo as soft as butter is a complete fool and knows absolutely bugger all about footy. Dal has averages 8.89 contested possessions per game over his entire career, Lenny Hayes who is undoubtedly one of the hardest blokes ever to play the game averaged 9 contested possessions per game.

And Luke Ball played 221 AFL games, won a B&F, came second twice, was All Australian, Captained an AFL team and won a premiership so to say his career amounted to zip is just ridiculous. You are just making yourself look stupid
Yes the guy only pots our players and is not rven a member. Trolling here and BF.

You are garbage - Enough said
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saynta wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Yes the guy only pots our players and is not rven a member. Trolling here and BF.
Hey Bunk do you have an adult membership yet? I would think not because you carry on like a 14 y /o prat!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Looks like Tony 74 is withholding sensitive information.
How do you figure that?
Wild guess. Just trying to flesh out some info

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Pretty harsh - I don't think there was anything sinister in what he was saying or what he 'was not' saying.

I, like most here, greatly appreciate Tony's opinion and understand that in some cases there is privileged information not appropriate for a web forum. In this instance I don't think that was the case!

#1 Ryder fan
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Isn't Billings only 20?
Too early for a 'where is he at' thread?
We will know when he is 22 and that wont be until 2018.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

My personal opinion is that only club members should be able to post on saintsational. (Posted by Long Time Sainter)
What a load of crap!
I will be 76 shortly. My parents always bought me a Junior membership. They never had one Dad having played cricket for St.Kilda was always a Cricket Club member which entitled him and Mum to all matches. As a young Constable I performed d dont buy membershipsuty at St.Kilda matches at St.Kilda oval, and as a Sergeant I performed duty at Waverley. I held membership from time to time, but now I am on the aged pension and live over 300 kms away and my mobility is now poor, my days of buying club memberships are over.
I am sure there are plenty like myself, who supported the Saints through all the lean years, but for one reason or other dont have club memberships now.
But never mind any of that, just ban us from Saintsational.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

And Long Time Sainter, what do you call a long time for being a Sainter? How many gases did you attend at the Junction Oval?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:My personal opinion is that only club members should be able to post on saintsational. (Posted by Long Time Sainter)
What a load of crap!
I will be 76 shortly. My parents always bought me a Junior membership. They never had one Dad having played cricket for St.Kilda was always a Cricket Club member which entitled him and Mum to all matches. As a young Constable I performed d dont buy membershipsuty at St.Kilda matches at St.Kilda oval, and as a Sergeant I performed duty at Waverley. I held membership from time to time, but now I am on the aged pension and live over 300 kms away and my mobility is now poor, my days of buying club memberships are over.
I am sure there are plenty like myself, who supported the Saints through all the lean years, but for one reason or other dont have club memberships now.
But never mind any of that, just ban us from Saintsational.
Zero chance of that happening.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Impatient Sainter wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saynta wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Hey Bunk do you have an adult membership yet? I would think not because you carry on like a 14 y /o prat!
Wow.Coming from someone who blames the club for being blindsided by Carlisle as an excuse not to buy a membership.

BWT. Paid up member for 25 years. SC member for 15. Reserved seat holder for 15 and pay for my daughters mrmbership and seat.

You are not a real supporter so you and your opinions are irrelevant.

You are garbage - Enough said
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Get off your high horse

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Isn't Billings only 20?
Too early for a 'where is he at' thread?
We will know when he is 22 and that wont be until 2018.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

There's a some big flaws in Billings' game.

That's not to say he is no good, and won't get better.

But he needs to improve if he's going to be an A-grader.

devil saint
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:There's a some big flaws in Billings' game.

Can you please elaborate on these "big flaws". I haven't noticed anything particularly significant. In fact, I feel that he reads the play noticeably better than most, he (usually) directs his kick to the right teammate with great accuracy and generally makes good choices around the packs. All players need to continue to improve but I think to say he has "big flaws" is overstated and unfair.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The ankle injury obviously affected his kicking

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:The ankle injury obviously affected his kicking
And, I would suggest, quite possibly his movement.

Being a glass half full type, particularly when it comes to athletes I regard as as supremely talented (using basic relativities), I tend to recall how JB performed against C'wood, when we were down to 20 before half time.

Cos, ya know, when someone's only played 30 odd games, picking last week's as defining, either their progress, or their potential, and ignoring a game only a few weeks earlier, says more about the critic than the player.

And, Marto, if that reference to the "arrogant' poster was directed at me, too f'n right I'm arrogant.

And, you're a sook. My argument was built around supporting a fellow poster (Devilhead) who had bothered to look beyond simplistic, archaic, suburban football based 'expertise', to suggest a 20 y.o. was on a reasonable path (as has been acknowledged by all his coaches, and his team mates).

To resort to such nonsense as "arrogant" poster is to condemn your own unwillingness to engage in the actual debate. I thought D'head was right, said so in emphatic terms, suggested those who disagreed were "off", as an OPINION, and you come up with mere "arrogance" as a way to try and dismiss what you don't agree with.

Well, harden the f*** up. To suggest anything I said was to decry anyone else's right to say what they like is beyond disingenuous. People can say what they like, and, oddly, so can I.

Argue on the merits.

And, if I've erroneously concluded your arrogant reference was directed at me, apologies, I made a mistake.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:The ankle injury obviously affected his kicking
And, I would suggest, quite possibly his movement.

Being a glass half full type, particularly when it comes to athletes I regard as as supremely talented (using basic relativities), I tend to recall how JB performed against C'wood, when we were down to 20 before half time.

Cos, ya know, when someone's only played 30 odd games, picking last week's as defining, either their progress, or their potential, and ignoring a game only a few weeks earlier, says more about the critic than the player.

And, Marto, if that reference to the "arrogant' poster was directed at me, too f'n right I'm arrogant.

And, you're a sook. My argument was built around supporting a fellow poster (Devilhead) who had bothered to look beyond simplistic, archaic, suburban football based 'expertise', to suggest a 20 y.o. was on a reasonable path (as has been acknowledged by all his coaches, and his team mates).

To resort to such nonsense as "arrogant" poster is to condemn your own unwillingness to engage in the actual debate. I thought D'head was right, said so in emphatic terms, suggested those who disagreed were "off", as an OPINION, and you come up with mere "arrogance" as a way to try and dismiss what you don't agree with.

Well, harden the f*** up. To suggest anything I said was to decry anyone else's right to say what they like is beyond disingenuous. People can say what they like, and, oddly, so can I.

Argue on the merits.

And, if I've erroneously concluded your arrogant reference was directed at me, apologies, I made a mistake.
I wouldn't waste my breadth on him. He's too dogmatic with his views

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Good comments from TheOtherThommo as usual.
Quality, well-constructed logic, well-written.
And I agree with him.
I wonder whether some folks who call JB "lazy", understand that AFL is the opposite of on-line gaming.
In AFL, those with talent are targeted, and if their numbers are down a little, perhaps their oppponents have put extra hard pressure on them.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

devil saint wrote:

Can you please elaborate on these "big flaws". I haven't noticed anything particularly significant. In fact, I feel that he reads the play noticeably better than most, he (usually) directs his kick to the right teammate with great accuracy and generally makes good choices around the packs. All players need to continue to improve but I think to say he has "big flaws" is overstated and unfair.
He's not fast.

His intensity isn't great.

Not hard at the contest.

His kicking is average.

And of course, his body isn't holding up thus far.

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:
devil saint wrote:

He's not fast.

Not hard at the contest.

His kicking is average.

Billings' kicking so far in his career is far far above average, uses both sides as well. Still has plenty to learn (who doesn't at that age?) but shown enough for me to be excited about the prospect of watching his career as a Saint unfurl...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
devil saint wrote:

He's not fast.

Not hard at the contest.

His kicking is average.

Crikey. Another young bloke not yet 21 with less then 40 games under his belt having his commitment, skill and intensity questioned. Billing's kicking is awesome. Quality finisher. He's playing in a comp against mature hard bodied blokes. Give him another couple of years and then see where he's at. Am very pleased with the way he's tracking. Reckon he's a beauty.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

TOThommo no Wasn't directed at you

Perhaps ask the question first?

Not sure whether or care whether you're arrogant... Although not a trait to spruke about methinks? ... Not sure I'm a sook either. I just don't support blindly... Some do, that's ok?

Exactly what do I sook about...

I know every time I criticise another poor decision/result/outcome by the club... Which is basically tragic in its history of stuff ups
People go crazy, like I've slapped one of their children in the face... I find that interesting?!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:TOThommo no Wasn't directed at you

Perhaps ask the question first?

Not sure whether or care whether you're arrogant... Although not a trait to spruke about methinks? ... Not sure I'm a sook either. I just don't support blindly... Some do, that's ok?

Exactly what do I sook about...

I know every time I criticise another poor decision/result/outcome by the club... Which is basically tragic in its history of stuff ups
People go crazy, like I've slapped one of their children in the face... I find that interesting?!
Is that you P66???

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!