McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin

Toy Saint wrote:Agree with Mathews, but not convinced about Ablett. I don't recall Ablett 'tearing up' St Kilda too many times, from memory he never did much in the Geelong B&F, and I've often suspected his performance may have been artificially assisted. Admittedly he did look impressive on the TV highlights.
Geez, I do, unfortunately.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
As an indication of how much the scoring patterns have evolved (e.g. greater spread away from dominant key forwards), here's the list of leading goalkickers, by year, up to 2014:

http://footystats.freeservers.com/Footy ... dGoal.html

Compare, say, the last 10 years, with the 10 years of the '90's when most of your list were underway. Kennedy kicked what, 80+ last year? In a year his side played off, and he turned 27 last year. Given Kennedy doesn't feature anywhere else in that list prior to last year, and the list shows the top 3 minimum by year, let's suggest Kennedy had a break out year last year - at 27.

80 odd goals seems to be around the modern game ceiling for the leading goalscorer, and even that looks statistically generous (given the last bloke to kick over 73 was Fevola in '09).

Of the players I wondered about, Franklin started the furthest back, in '05, so 11 years ago.

Franklin kicked 21 from 20 games in his 1st year, 31 from 14 games in his 2nd and 73 from 22 games in his 3rd. He's the last bloke to kick 100, in '08, in his 4th year (and 8 years ago, assuming no-one does it this year, which they won't).

While Franklin started in spots other than as a key forward, I'd suggest his first 2 seasons, 34 game, average of ~ 11 disposals a game (7K/4H) show the Dorks were willing to be patient.

And, again, how much has the game changed in those 11 years? I reckon one way to tell is to look at Franklin since he kicked the ton in '08. By that list, his season high since '08 is 71 goals (missing last year's numbers, as noted earlier).

Further to what you wrote yesterday ToT about goalkicking trends, this article with stats from Robert Nguyen, 'The Numbers Guy', in today's Age :

"On Sunday, on a windy day in the Apple Isle, Brent Harvey, shortly to turn 38, kicked six goals as North Melbourne edged past Melbourne.

It was Boomer's first bag of five or more goals in 6,498 days (or more than 17 years). In 1998, the year of his last five-goal game (and when John Howard was in his first term as PM), that feat was achieved 138 times across the league.

Last season, it happened just 67 times.

Five-goal hauls peaked well above the 150-mark in the early to mid-1990s and have basically declined ever since."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... z45mI9gm5Q
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Griggsy
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:
As an indication of how much the scoring patterns have evolved (e.g. greater spread away from dominant key forwards), here's the list of leading goalkickers, by year, up to 2014:

Compare, say, the last 10 years, with the 10 years of the '90's when most of your list were underway. Kennedy kicked what, 80+ last year? In a year his side played off, and he turned 27 last year. Given Kennedy doesn't feature anywhere else in that list prior to last year, and the list shows the top 3 minimum by year, let's suggest Kennedy had a break out year last year - at 27.

80 odd goals seems to be around the modern game ceiling for the leading goalscorer, and even that looks statistically generous (given the last bloke to kick over 73 was Fevola in '09).

Of the players I wondered about, Franklin started the furthest back, in '05, so 11 years ago.

Franklin kicked 21 from 20 games in his 1st year, 31 from 14 games in his 2nd and 73 from 22 games in his 3rd. He's the last bloke to kick 100, in '08, in his 4th year (and 8 years ago, assuming no-one does it this year, which they won't).

While Franklin started in spots other than as a key forward, I'd suggest his first 2 seasons, 34 game, average of ~ 11 disposals a game (7K/4H) show the Dorks were willing to be patient.

And, again, how much has the game changed in those 11 years? I reckon one way to tell is to look at Franklin since he kicked the ton in '08. By that list, his season high since '08 is 71 goals (missing last year's numbers, as noted earlier).

Further to what you wrote yesterday ToT about goalkicking trends, this article with stats from Robert Nguyen, 'The Numbers Guy', in today's Age :

"On Sunday, on a windy day in the Apple Isle, Brent Harvey, shortly to turn 38, kicked six goals as North Melbourne edged past Melbourne.

It was Boomer's first bag of five or more goals in 6,498 days (or more than 17 years). In 1998, the year of his last five-goal game (and when John Howard was in his first term as PM), that feat was achieved 138 times across the league.

Five-goal hauls peaked well above the 150-mark in the early to mid-1990s and have basically declined ever since."

attribute to the death of 1v1. Roo could have kicked 100 if it wasn't for defensive floods, zones, loose defenders, defenders dropping into the hole etc.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:

Tis representative of much change, St.B.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Paddy will bag a five goal game before the year is out.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
supersaints
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:Agree with Mathews, but not convinced about Ablett. I don't recall Ablett 'tearing up' St Kilda too many times, from memory he never did much in the Geelong B&F, and I've often suspected his performance may have been artificially assisted. Admittedly he did look impressive on the TV highlights.
StKilda was one of the few teams that Ablett did not run amok against most games.

I remember one game at Moorabbin where Winmar was matched up against him and Nicky beat him keeping Ablett on the quiet side while being damaging himself.
Lucky for us Frawley had the wood on Gabblet, I recall one game at Geelong Danny kept him to zero disposals ( could have made one handball but I don't think so) Gablett was reported for striking Frawley, that was the year he was supposed to be a Briownlow favourite.
There have been many great players unable to beat certain apponents... Carey never beat the West Coast center half back ( forget his name... Jackovitch?)
Lowe always struggled against the dogs center half back. Plugger was teamed by up to 3 players by Essendon to curtail him
Gablett was very very good, but there's only "one Tony Lockett"

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:. Carey never beat the West Coast center half back ( forget his name... Jackovitch?)
Glen Jakovich

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I just hope that during Paddy's development the club doesn't have to send him to Jenny Craig.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
StKilda was one of the few teams that Ablett did not run amok against most games.

I remember one game at Moorabbin where Winmar was matched up against him and Nicky beat him keeping Ablett on the quiet side while being damaging himself.
Lucky for us Frawley had the wood on Gabblet, I recall one game at Geelong Danny kept him to zero disposals ( could have made one handball but I don't think so) Gablett was reported for striking Frawley, that was the year he was supposed to be a Briownlow favourite.
There have been many great players unable to beat certain apponents... Carey never beat the West Coast center half back ( forget his name... Jackovitch?)
Lowe always struggled against the dogs center half back. Plugger was teamed by up to 3 players by Essendon to curtail him
Gablett was very very good, but there's only "one Tony Lockett"
I don't think he was ever kept to one disposal.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He wasn't

And Carey got the better of Jako occasionally

stonecold
SS Life Member

In the words of the 'CouldhavebeenChampions', theres only one Paddy MaCartin!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Rosco
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: I don't think he was ever kept to one disposal.
Not 1, but plenty of single digits against spud including 6 in the 1991 elimination final that we lost
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/19 ... 10908.html

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Rosco wrote:
Not 1, but plenty of single digits against spud including 6 in the 1991 elimination final that we lost
From memory didn't Bairstow Stoneham and Couch have the wood on us

spert
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
Rosco wrote:
I was at the game, and I think once D Grant got clobbered and N Burke got injured, then was where we lost the edge, and I think we were doing OK up to then.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:
Rosco wrote:
I was at the game, and I think once D Grant got clobbered and N Burke got injured, then was where we lost the edge, and I think we were doing OK up to then.
Brownless smashed us in that game and for once Plugger forgot his kicking boots. Kicked 9.7 or 9.5 or something like that. I think Brownless may have kicked 8 or 9 as well.

#gosaintas
Club Player

My memory is that altough Ablett was quiet in that game, he flattened Grant and Burke, taking them ot of the game. And yes, I thihnk Brownless 9 and Lockett 8, or something like that. Winmar and McAdam were great too. Long time ago for my memory.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Back to Paddy.
A bag of 5 today would shut any knocker up.
Looking forward to watching him play a full game.
Injured in first nab challenge and last week.
Played the full game against dogs but ball movement didn't make things easy and it even started the other thread.

Rosco
Club Player

It was brown less 8-3 and plugger 9-5 as per the link

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately Plugger had his 9 at 3/4 time and was goalless in the last qtr. One of the great games. First final I had seen us in after following them all my life. I was 22. The wait was far too long.

BigMart wrote:He wasn't

And Carey got the better of Jako occasionally
I was at the game ... I am positive.. Would appreciate if you could show me the stats on possessions by game, it was at Kardiina park, I had a beer with him after the match.l I can't prove it but I will try to search

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

his big grab had me jumping araound like a crazy man.

Saint_J
Club Player

Kids coming on great to see what a grab... Paddy's a keeper!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint_J wrote:Kids coming on great to see what a grab... Paddy's a keeper!
I would've wet and shat myself then cried with jubilation had that goal gone through and we won.

And possibly have bought a Paddy poster for my bedroom. Still might.

Almost lost my voice yelling "Paddy"!
Last edited by saintspremiers on Sat 16 Apr 2016 6:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:his big grab had me jumping araound like a crazy man.
Same! Was amazing - and he kicked it beautifully given the breeze - just unlucky

#1 Ryder fan
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah that grab had me off my seat