25 man squad named

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

realdeal
Club Player

Re: 25 man squad named

I feel that, as fans, we can definitely hang our hat on our team being great at consistently putting in a 100% effort in most games over the past couple of years.
However, I think that we've often started behind the eight ball with our unbalanced team selection. We never mastered the art of picking a sub, we picked one ruckman when we required two and vice versa, we'd pick too many small forwards and not enough on ballers etc..

I feel this is happening again for round 1. Unless we figure on just running and gunning, you'd have to say that we're somewhat undersized both fwd and back..

If Roo plays up the ground, who plays tall up fwd to help out Bruce? Who pinch hits in the ruck when Hickey needs a rest? Did we notice they have three dangerous tall fwds that we must cover.. Has Dempster grown 15cm over the summer?

Am I wrong to be concerned? Hopefully it means we'll be attacking and creating lots of run and carry and my queries are proved unfounded.

Cheers, carn Saints..

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Well nothing against Templeton but we have gone very small as we must be worried about run.

Rooey has to play forward.

Injuries to a tall at either end will mean that Gilbert steps in and we lose a tall inside midfielder.

Bruce will have to pinch hit in the ruck.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:I feel that, as fans, we can definitely hang our hat on our team being great at consistently putting in a 100% effort in most games over the past couple of years.
However, I think that we've often started behind the eight ball with our unbalanced team selection. We never mastered the art of picking a sub, we picked one ruckman when we required two and vice versa, we'd pick too many small forwards and not enough on ballers etc..

I feel this is happening again for round 1. Unless we figure on just running and gunning, you'd have to say that we're somewhat undersized both fwd and back..

If Roo plays up the ground, who plays tall up fwd to help out Bruce? Who pinch hits in the ruck when Hickey needs a rest? Did we notice they have three dangerous tall fwds that we must cover.. Has Dempster grown 15cm over the summer?

Am I wrong to be concerned? Hopefully it means we'll be attacking and creating lots of run and carry and my queries are proved unfounded.

Cheers, carn Saints..
Spot on.

We better out run them given the number of smalls picked.

Are we banking on 90 rotations meaning we can out run the opposition if they are too top heavy?

Going to be killed in the air down back if we can't get it to ground.

Maybe they have worked on a new defensive strategy that we shall all marvel at come Sunday night.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
realdeal
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:
realdeal wrote:I feel that, as fans, we can definitely hang our hat on our team being great at consistently putting in a 100% effort in most games over the past couple of years.

Cheers, carn Saints..
Spot on.

We better out run them given the number of smalls picked.

Are we banking on 90 rotations meaning we can out run the opposition if they are too top heavy?

Going to be killed in the air down back if we can't get it to ground.

Maybe they have worked on a new defensive strategy that we shall all marvel at come Sunday night.
I like to marvel.

StPeter
Club Player

I can't believe that Templeton or Acres are picked before Sinclair.

Sinclair has done more in any one of his games than either of these have done in their careers!!

He would always be in my best team.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Richo's second cousin probably has Port at +60pts.

I don't rate Acres or Eli and Sinclair is marginally better option. Also I'd give Lee a run.

Anyway, it's probably all academic and just shuffling the deck chairs this week.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

StPeter wrote:I can't believe that Templeton or Acres are picked before Sinclair.

Sinclair has done more in any one of his games than either of these have done in their careers!!

Jack is a touch of class, but watch what his opponent does. He knows what he has to work on, he's a young lad. Blake is very good in close and can read the oppositions tap outs. It's going to be needed. Eli as I said before is absolutely flying, will be running on at the end of each quarter.

saint-stu
Club Player

tony74 wrote:
StPeter wrote:I can't believe that Templeton or Acres are picked before Sinclair.

Jack is a touch of class, but watch what his opponent does. He knows what he has to work on, he's a young lad. Blake is very good in close and can read the oppositions tap outs. It's going to be needed. Eli as I said before is absolutely flying, will be running on at the end of each quarter.

Based on the VFL practise game, I agree about Eli. He looked to be the pick of the bunch that day.

1ac46a38
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Would love to see Eli show that dash and confidence he showed in his first 5 games. Hope You're on the money Tony74. Would be a real bonus for us if Eli can blossom.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I don't want to dampen peoples memory of what Templeton delivered in his early days but it was 6 matches in 2014 at an average of 8.2 disposals and 0.7 goals.
Then last year 6 games of 8.7 disposals and 0.2 goals.
Sinclair far more productive.
That said I'm glad he is flying ATM and can't wait to see him contribute.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Final team

St Kilda Round 1 Premiership Team v Port Adelaide

Sunday 27 March
Adelaide Oval, 2.50pm

B: J. Geary, S. Dempster, D. Roberton
HB: J. Newnes, S. Fisher, J. Webster
C: S. Savage, D. Armitage, N. Riewoldt
HF: L. Montagna, J. Bruce, M. Weller
F: J. Lonie, J. Billings, J. Gresham
R: T. Hickey, S. Gilbert, J. Steven
Interchange: E. Templeton, S. Ross, L. Dunstan, B. Acres

NEW: Jade Gresham (Northern Knights)

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-03-2 ... t-adelaide
Roo will need to play forward. Ining up like this the team looks a lot less small.

C: S. Savage, D. Armitage, L. Montagna
HF: J. Billings, N. Riewoldt, M. Weller
F: J. Lonie, J. Bruce, J. Gresham

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Roo will need to play forward. Ining up like this the team looks a lot less small.

Roberton is 194 cm which is a great size for that third tall back. I think he is a good candidate to be Fishers replacement. I think both Fish and Demps should retire at the end of the year. We need to start making more room in our back half for the next gen. We'll have Carlisle who's got a lot of experience, Goddard will have two years and three preseason under his belt and we also have Geary with lots of experience so we'll still have enough experience.

I would like to see Roberton have a go at playing on a tall sometimes this year, rather than that free floating role, to transition into a key role and see if he's upto it. Him and Lee could be fighting for that spot. Yes Roberton provides good rebound but he can still some of that (like Fisher always did) and we have lots of other guys we want to have coming out of our backhalf and breaking the lines - Savage, Webster, Rice, White, McKenzie.

Freebird
Club Player

tony74 wrote:

Jack is a touch of class, but watch what his opponent does. He knows what he has to work on, he's a young lad.
This is my concern on Ross..opposition just lose him quickly when they move the ball forward. He has to dominate offensively to make up for lack of yards and opponents dominance going forward.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I wouldnt pay much attention to the team sheet. The only logical conclusion is that Roo will play the whole game fwd and Gilbert the whole game back.
We will then rely on Armo, Steven, Weller, Ross, Dunstan. Acres to hold their own in the midfield rotations.
Who plays 2nd ruck is a real concern and we may get smashed in the clearances as Hickey isnt really a strongman in any case.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
tony74 wrote:

Jack is a touch of class, but watch what his opponent does. He knows what he has to work on, he's a young lad.
This is my concern on Ross..opposition just lose him quickly when they move the ball forward. He has to dominate offensively to make up for lack of yards and opponents dominance going forward.
I tend to agree. Ross is tough in the clinches and the coach loves him but if I was an opposition mid Id love to play on Ross. As soon as the ball is in the clear you know the contest is over and he wont be anywhere near you. Absolute crab on outside defence.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Roberton is listed at 194, he's not taller than Nick Riewoldt or 194.... And he's built like a wafer... He's a hbf

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Curren was the best Saint mid for Sandy by a fair

Eli was OK

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Final team

St Kilda Round 1 Premiership Team v Port Adelaide

Sunday 27 March
Adelaide Oval, 2.50pm

C: S. Savage, D. Armitage, N. Riewoldt
HF: L. Montagna, J. Bruce, M. Weller
F: J. Lonie, J. Billings, J. Gresham

NEW: Jade Gresham (Northern Knights)

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-03-2 ... t-adelaide
We look a tad small. No Paddy, no Carlisle, no Longer. Small.
No Goddard, no Lee.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Roberton is listed at 194, he's not taller than Nick Riewoldt or 194.... And he's built like a wafer... He's a hbf
Roberton's a good size http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Sean+Demps ... 3wR5LoRHHO

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Te ... 863_nl.jpg

He will probably need to put a bit more weight on to hold a permanent defender role but that will happen naturally anyway. I had the same build as him - up to age 25 I could not put on any weight no matter how much I ate. AT 26-27 your metabolism changes and you start to hold a bit more weight. I see his transition very much like Dempster. Dempster was a utility player - mid/hbf/wing/tagger. In the latter half of his career he put a bit more weight on that let him stand his ground and hit packs harder and his experience reading the play lead him to become a full time defender.

Next year it should become Carlisle, Geary and Robertons backline. They will all need to step up in responsibility that Fisher and Dempster have had. Roberton should be close to 100 games so he'll have the game reading required. He's a good mark, can play tall or small, good when the balls on the deck, and can run the ball out well. His kicking is pretty good so can move the ball around the backline safely. The likes of McKenzie, White, Rice, Webster, Savage will be the real attacking weapons from the back. Roberton looks perfect to mature into that permanent 3rd defender role to backup Carlisle and Goddard who will play on the gorilla forwards. Lee is only an outside chance to make it lets be honest.
Last edited by Bluthy on Fri 25 Mar 2016 11:53pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
We look a tad small. No Paddy, no Carlisle, no Longer. Small.
No Goddard, no Lee.[/quote]

Don't forget about Gilbo. He's a flexible dude who can provide a lot of cover on the backline if it starts getting out of control. Roberton as well.

Gershwin
Club Player

Hate to think what happens if Hickey does a hammy in the first 10 minutes.

summertime and the living is easy ........
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Is big Billy Longer playing for the Zebras this weekend?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:Hate to think what happens if Hickey does a hammy in the first 10 minutes.
Eh. You make do. Roo could ruck, Bruce could ruck, jesus even Gilbo could go up in that sort of worst case incident. In finals yeah becomes an issue. Another reason for pursuing the two ruck (one a fwd/ruck) set up.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

Roberton is 194 cm which is a great size for that third tall back. I think he is a good candidate to be Fishers replacement. I think both Fish and Demps should retire at the end of the year. We need to start making more room in our back half for the next gen. We'll have Carlisle who's got a lot of experience, Goddard will have two years and three preseason under his belt and we also have Geary with lots of experience so we'll still have enough experience.

I would like to see Roberton have a go at playing on a tall sometimes this year, rather than that free floating role, to transition into a key role and see if he's upto it. Him and Lee could be fighting for that spot. Yes Roberton provides good rebound but he can still some of that (like Fisher always did) and we have lots of other guys we want to have coming out of our backhalf and breaking the lines - Savage, Webster, Rice, White, McKenzie.

Lee will never be fit to tie Robbo's boot laces imho.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Mark my words.... Templeton is back to the form you saw in those very early days. Absolutely flying.
you are being very facetious

Posting 20 years of holey crap!