What Happened to the Dot in "St.Kilda"?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Re: What Happened to the Dot in "St.Kilda"?

Drives me to distraction how people call it Saint Kilda

The St is not an abbreviation of Saint

The name of the footy club, suburb, beach, pier etc is ST Kilda and should be pronounced as such

If the commentators can make an effort to pronounce a player's name correctly then at the very least get the club's name correct

fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Playon
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:
Playon wrote:Argus newspaper 1877
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/5938506...
" Mr. Power, of Carlton, officiated as central umpire, with his wonted impartiality and his utter indifference to the comments of inconsiderate onlookers."

Those "onlookers" haven't got any more considerate over the years. The word "wonted" means usual or habitual. I can just remember it being used by old timers in my youth, but not in the last 50 years.
Sounds like we were complaining about the umpires back then, glad we don't have any complaints these days :)

Playon
Club Player

Its not until recent times that the dot has gone missing. The more old photos, maps drawings etc that I see have dots in them. Whether its correct or not, is it any wonder we had a dot? Thanks St Kilda council

Playon
Club Player

Playon
Club Player

The Australasian newspaper 1873

A word from a footballist

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/artic ... e|||sortby

avid
Club Player

Just because there was no actual saint called Kilda doesn't mean we shouldn't write the name as though there were.
People a long time before us made the mistake of assuming the place was named after a saint.
We inherited the name with the mistake embedded in it.
So we should be writing it and pronouncing it as though it's a saint's name.
(Therefore I don't think "Saint Kilda" as a pronunciation is necessarily a wrong, just irritating. "Snt" is how we normally refer to saints, churches, organisations, places.)
How we actually punctuate it as a saint's name, though, -- that's another argument.... well discussed in several posts above.