Changes v Hawks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Kernal75
Club Player

Re: Changes v Hawks

I don't understand all the love for Lee. The guy is undersized for KPD and too light. On top of that he's been a defender for a month. He's learning his craft as much as Goodard is. At least Goddard has the size and weight to play on the Hawks FWD's if required. IMO Lee's best shot at a long term position in defence is taking over from Fisher when he gives it away. No harm in him having to grind away in the 2's this year with a view to having a real crack next year in defence. FWIW I think Roberton will get the job on Gunston.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:I don't understand all the love for Lee. The guy is undersized for KPD and too light. On top of that he's been a defender for a month. He's learning his craft as much as Goodard is.
Lee is a cm taller than Roo. Other than our rucks, only White, Bruce and Goddard are taller. He's had at least one full year of state level footy as a key defender as well. I'm very surprised that we haven't given him a crack this week. He deserves it on form and we could really use some decent ball use coming out of defence with Fisher out.

FQF
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if we don't bring in height, why now?

A lot of hand wringing over Lee that I don't get personally.
Why now? Because Hawthorn have two elite key forwards (Roughead and Gunston) and Hale who can be very effective as a third. We have one (one!) bona fide key back (Delaney). Goddard would have be close to a certainty to play on Hale and then good luck controlling Gunston with Dempster/Webster/Roberton.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:

Why now? Because Hawthorn have two elite key forwards (Roughead and Gunston) and Hale who can be very effective as a third. We have one (one!) bona fide key back (Delaney). Goddard would have be close to a certainty to play on Hale and then good luck controlling Gunston with Dempster/Webster/Roberton.
Um Gunston is 193 and 94 and Roberton is 194 and 88, would have thought a perfect match up

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
FQF
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote:
FQF wrote:

Um Gunston is 193 and 94 and Roberton is 194 and 88, would have thought a perfect match up
It might work, but perfect?

First, that is a 6 kg advantage to Gunston. Second, when does Roberton ever play on KPF? He plays small and is more like an oversized flanker. Gunston plays tall (and small- which is why he's good).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
FQF wrote:

First, that is a 6 kg advantage to Gunston. Second, when does Roberton ever play on KPF? He plays small and is more like an oversized flanker. Gunston plays tall (and small- which is why he's good).

Lets be totally honest about this. The game will be won in the midfield. If there outside runners play well then it matters little who is on their forwards. We need to win in the midfield to be a chance. Im more worried about a guy like Smith who can really run.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:
FQF wrote:

Lets be totally honest about this. The game will be won in the midfield. If there outside runners play well then it matters little who is on their forwards. We need to win in the midfield to be a chance. Im more worried about a guy like Smith who can really run.
Not sure anyone here would argue about that. But it's irrelevant. We still need to get the match ups right and its an interesting discussion.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:I don't understand all the love for Lee. The guy is undersized for KPD and too light. On top of that he's been a defender for a month. He's learning his craft as much as Goodard is. At least Goddard has the size and weight to play on the Hawks FWD's if required. IMO Lee's best shot at a long term position in defence is taking over from Fisher when he gives it away. No harm in him having to grind away in the 2's this year with a view to having a real crack next year in defence. FWIW I think Roberton will get the job on Gunston.
Dunno if it is love for Lee but recognition of good VFL form for the season in a new position. He is 194cm. Taller than Ted Richards and Luke McPharlin. Im not sure he is undersized. He is good in the air and can kick it. But agree his best shot is as a replacement for Dempster/Fisher.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

@AFL_PKeane: St K v Haw;
Int; Savage, Ross, Roberton, Sinclair.
Emerg; Curren, Goddard, Minchington.
Ray, Savage, Ross in for Weller, Dunstan, McKenzie.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:@AFL_PKeane: St K v Haw;
Like for like changes. Cant really argue. The coach is clearly a big fan of Ross, and Ray and Savage provide some added run.
Roberton will be asked to play a more defensive role you would reckon. I also much refer Gears playing a purely defensive role (like last week) and leave the kicking to Webster and Savage who can look for Roo for the transition. Seems like a balanced side.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 05 Jun 2015 6:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Like for like changes. Cant really argue. The coach is clearly a big fan of Ross and Ray and Savage provide some run.
Roberton will be asked to play a more defensive role you would reckon. I also much refer Gears playing a purely defensive role (like last week) and leave the kicking to Webster and Savage. Seems like a balanced side.

Agree. The only way you beat the Hawks is with run.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Happy Goddard has been protected against the might of the Hawks and not selected.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
realdeal
Club Player

So the key defensive match ups are what exactly?

Has Dempster grown 12cm and 15kg in the past week?

Lions didn't really have any tall forwards so replacing Fisher wasn't as important but this week is a different story. Yes we want run but the ball will only have to be kicked in the vicinity of their tall forwards for them to use their height advantage.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:So the key defensive match ups are what exactly?

Has Dempster grown 12cm and 15kg in the past week?

Lions didn't really have any tall forwards so replacing Fisher wasn't as important but this week is a different story. Yes we want run but the ball will only have to be kicked in the vicinity of their tall forwards for them to use their height advantage.
'Team defence' will be the motto.

Breust - Shenton/Webster?
Roughie - Delaney
Gunston - Roberton/Dempster?
Cyril - Geary/Savage?

Maybe even play someone defensive (Ray?) on Smith as well.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I always knew that Ross would be one of the ins.

He would always get a game before Curran

realdeal
Club Player

FF Hale- ?

Saint wagga
Club Player

Surprised ray and Ross comes in before curren or Minchi...not exactly solid with the whole rewarding vfl form line, but that's the biggest throwaway line in the coaching caper. I'm not unhappy with Ross coming in, just think he may have benefitted from another 2 weeks in the vfl before having a really good crack at the 2nd half of the season. He has come back well and I hope the coaches have made an excellent call.

Savage is an interesting one, sounds as if he was almost rested from the lions game, because how else does he come back in on vfl form? Again, I don't the call, thought he was stiff to be left out against the lions, but the public logic of the decisions don't always add up...guess that's what we get for being in the outer.

Richter
SS Life Member

Seems ok for mine. Only extra I would have done would have been Lee for Shenton. Lee might not cope with one of their Talls but IMO would have been worth a shot. Anyhow, presumably Savage has served his penalty for whatever off-field misdemeanour he committed, so glad he is back. I'm also chomping to see how Seb is with another pre-season under his belt. Ray - good solid citizen.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

realdeal wrote:FF Hale- ?
Omitted - as per SEN

You are garbage - Enough said
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:Seems ok for mine. Only extra I would have done would have been Lee for Shenton. Lee might not cope with one of their Talls but IMO would have been worth a shot. Anyhow, presumably Savage has served his penalty for whatever off-field misdemeanour he committed, so glad he is back. I'm also chomping to see how Seb is with another pre-season under his belt. Ray - good solid citizen.
Think whatever benefit Ross got from a preseason has been lost with the terrible injury he has recovered from.

Maybe best to have a look in 2016 to judge if he has an injury free pre season

You are garbage - Enough said