Dermie Suggesting Senior Players Running Club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dermie Suggesting Senior Players Running Club

I have heard from an external source that the players are definitely happier.-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:Brearaton is an arsehole, I've had no respect for him since his cowardly act of 'king hitting' Danny Frawley from behind and 100 metres behind the play. He's a gutless arsehole.

If this problem did really exist, why not raise it the Monday after we beat Essendon? Any gutless jerk can throw sh1t after a terrible loss...

If there are really senior players 'running the club' or 'calling the shots', then now is the time to kick their arses right out of the club.

List Clogger is a cheap throw-away line. Fact is there are insufficient A Grade players to go around now we have 18 teams. Sure, we have a few guys toward the end of their careers, and some battlers. But for the most part, I'm delighted in the way the selectors are introducing the kids.

Yep, Dermie is a tool...
+1

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
bigred wrote:I heard most of it.

Of course, with his mateship with SW along with Derm's general dismissive hatred of all things Saints, you can really take it for what its worth....f*** all.

Brereton DOES have a point. Some of these guys have been around for a while and lets be frank, they are not the future.

If we are going to lose by ONE HUNDRED AND FOURTY FIVE POINTS then why the hell does Clint Jones get a game ahead of Seb Ross? Schneider a go ahead of Spencer White? Roberton ahead of Gwilt? etc etc. Shane Savage is disrespecting that number 5. And if the tail is wagging the dog as he says, then the players mentioned should be shown the door. It is that simple.

On the back of the Hawthorn loss, we have some guys that really should not be getting a game. We have some injuries, long term ones so you can excuse some scorelines to a level. But this weeks team selection should show us exactly who holds the reigns.

Play the kids ffs. Play the guys like #2 and give him a job to do. Markworth, Newnes, White, Curren, Webster, Murdoch, Saunders, Milera, Acres, Dunell...Who will step up and own a spot on the list and who will fail? Play them and see who has the ability and who does not. Are they good enough? If not, piss them off and get someone who is. Make the most of the downturn in onfield success and utilise the draft while we can.

Losses like we just had are disrespectful to all of us. And that is not just aimed at the players, but the coaches, board and bloody everyone. Its not acceptable. If you want to be a witches hat, go and get three hunjie a week playing for Melton or similar. But don't bring that effort and expect to get away with it.

I honestly do not believe that we are 145 points worse than Hawthorn. So that rests on the group and the coaches.....Why and how did we lose like that?

6 changes this week. Should not be any less. Some guys should be getting a rocket and not coming back until they are in the best for Sandy for a MONTH....

Richardson needs to be a hard bugger here or we are going nowhere.
Yeah agree bigred, that's my (reluctant) view too.

Nobody wants to agree with Derm, but he has a point.

I find it amusing that he tries to deliver a clear summation of the saints, but a "you sacked my bestie" overtone tinges it a bit. Still a relevant point is exactly that, relevant.

I will also be disappointed if Acres makes way for Dunstan.
Two excellent posts in my opinion. I'm sure I'll get shouted down by the masses but I really appreciated the well thought out logic. Thanks - definitely my two fave posts in a long time.

I seem to recall quite a few similarly sized pastings in the early 2000's & it didn't really seem to hurt the guns that formed the nucleus of the 09 & 10 GF teams. It's horrible to bear but I'd rather watch developing kids who're learning rather than the old blokes getting hammered (which achieves nothing mid/long term)

Go you red, black & white warriors
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I don't think he has a point at all…

We played 11 guys with under 50 games experience on Saturday, how could that possibly be considered sticking with senior guys who are running the club? If Wright & Dunstan were available they would have played too.

The only slightly senior guy brought in this week was Schneider who was a match winner against Essendon 2 weeks ago.

The rest were:
Acres - 0 games
Weller - 33 games
Simpkin - 27 games
Longer - 11 games

The theory doesn't add up at all. I'm sure Gwilt & Jones will be out of the side soon enough if they don't perform. Derm just reeks of bitterness…

Goldy

Who gives a tinker's curse what this bloke thinks?!? His footy analysis is ordinary at best and is more a "media personality" than footy analyst/legitimate commentator.

I'll tell you what though, if gents of the calibre of Riewoldt, Hayes and Montagna are running our footy club, we are in good hands. I couldn't think of three better, genuine gentlemen to do the job.

Fortious bloody Quo Fidelius!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Its a chicken and egg.
People want youngsters to 'knock the old players out of the team' but they cant improve without senior footy under their belt.

Forget Dermie for a bit -

- Savage is getting games because he has a long contract on big cash and is Pelchen's pet - this is unfair on others.
- CJ and Gwilt are genuine list cloggers I'm afraid.
Good servants etc etc etc - but we aren't contenders so all they are doing is holding up someone else getting an opportunity.
The best CJ or Gwilt could do by playing each week is get us from say 16th to 15th. That has to be traded off with keeping a young kid out of the side.
- Ray, Schneider and Dempster are required players - but do they have to play each and every week?
- Roo and Joey - our two best so players so play every week if fit.
-Gilbo should play when fit which is pretty much never.
- Lenny and Fisher - retired.

saint-stu
Club Player

Great insight Tony74, thanks.

Gwilts form hasn't been that bad. And you can't only play kids. Surely we need some experienced leadership in the backline to help organise Bruce, Delaney, Wright, Webster, Newnes, etc.

Savage is the one I don't understand. How can he be ahead of Ross or even Milera. Both have shown much more than he has and have been with the club longer.

1ac46a38
saint-stu
Club Player

Russell Holmesby's response on SEN:

https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/st-kildas-list-cloggers

1ac46a38
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:Great insight Tony74, thanks.

Gwilts form hasn't been that bad. And you can't only play kids. Surely we need some experienced leadership in the backline to help organise Bruce, Delaney, Wright, Webster, Newnes, etc.
Gwilt is keeping Bruce out of the side and from getting games.
Arent we trying to get blokes to the 50 game mark?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So Jones is getting games every week because hes 'popular' ?

Sounds like same old same old saints.

I appreciate Tony is an insider has bona fide credentials and genuinely has 'privileged information' BUT that doesn't mean every single thing the club does or is doing is perfect and correct and they are completely all knowing, all wise and omniscient.

1 flag in 120 years tells us this simply isn't the case.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 05 May 2014 10:25pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Amazing that there is this amount of discussion about the comments of a nobody with the ego of The Derm. He was a brilliant footballer and thug in his day. The game has passed him by and he now makes his living by talking rubbish on radio and playing the fool with that other fool on Foxtel.

We have an excellent coach, an excellent captain, a couple of excellent senior players in Lenny and Joey, and between them this club is moving forward.
We've already won more games than most so called experts predicted for the whole year.
To suggest the senior players are running the club is ludicrous!

I look forward to the development of the Saints in the next few years, and I think some people here take the game just a tad to seriously. It is just a game after all.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Arguing that the club is happier doesn't prove anything though?

If anything, it backs up his point...

They loathed Scott, nobody is denying that, are they happy now that he is gone and their standing has been restored?

People jump at this for some reason.

Nobody is saying that its their fault, or that its even conscious behaviour on their part.

They are used to be treated in a certain way, and it didn't happen under Scott.

Clearly Alan has "won them back" but their place still needs to be justified.

The seniors in the side, I assume, are to prevent big smashings and to give leadership?

We have to honestly analyse if they should be ahead of others given two massive beltings.

And before anyone argues about the kids not being up to it, Derm clearly mentioned Ross and Siposs (not from the latest crop) Terry, Bruce & Lee (mature age recruits)

He wasn't talking kids, he was asking the question about those others that need to be given a run to see if they are good enough.

But it's derm, and he's clearly an idiot and bitter, and can't have a point. ;)

saint-stu
Club Player

Actually Bruce was replaced by Simpkin. Can't have all stopping defenders.

1ac46a38
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

How is Gwilt keeping Bruce out, didn't Bruce play against Essendon and Brisbane next to Gwilt?
Personally, I don't know why he was dropped this week, my gut feeling maybe they were worried about the weather and thought an extra running player maybe better than another tall in wet conditions.
It amazes me that when things go bad, some like to believe all the bad news bears out there in football land who have absolutely no connection to the club who come up with wild theories about what might be wrong.
I mean we have won 3 games, that's better than Carlton, Richmond, Bulldogs, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane.
Obviously they must have more list cloggers than we do.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:So Jones is getting games every week because hes 'popular'?

You know sometimes I wonder why I bother. Come down to training. Ask the club for a pass to the pre game warmup. Get to the rooms after the game and see the mood. Get down on the fence and listen to the players during a game. Go to Sandy and see if the " chosen ones " are there supporting the plebs. We are a club and if they are chosen to play on the weekend there is a reason. And it's the right reason.

saint-stu
Club Player

SainterK wrote:We have to honestly analyse if they should be ahead of others given two massive beltings.

And before anyone argues about the kids not being up to it, Derm clearly mentioned Ross and Siposs (not from the latest crop) Terry, Bruce & Lee (mature age recruits)
We are playing quite a few young players. Does he expect us to play 22 youngsters with no experience/leadership at all?

1ac46a38
mullet
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:So Jones is getting games every week because hes 'popular'?

You know sometimes I wonder why I bother. Come down to training. Ask the club for a pass to the pre game warmup. Get to the rooms after the game and see the mood. Get down on the fence and listen to the players during a game. Go to Sandy and see if the " chosen ones " are there supporting the plebs. We are a club and if they are chosen to play on the weekend there is a reason. And it's the right reason.
Tony there are a lot of people on here who value your posts. Please keep bothering. I love your insight

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I said similar last year.

Roo and Joey IMO, gave the club a "him or me" stance with Watters.

They acted on that, and there is no coming back from it....

Ross gave the seniors too much love, Scott not enough, now Richo probably too much again.

What's irrelevant though, is derms motive, clearly stil bitter on his mates behalf.
Virtually the whole football dept would have walked if Watters stayed.

The bit about the senior players is just rubbish

Bit about dermie and bitter spot on

saint4life
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
SainterK wrote:We have to honestly analyse if they should be ahead of others given two massive beltings.

We are playing quite a few young players. Does he expect us to play 22 youngsters with no experience/leadership at all?
Experience leadership hasn't prevented 2 massive beltings.

Look, I'm not arguing that Derm isn't a self pretentious egotist.

He is.

However there was some truth buried amongst the poison.

IMO.

Peace :)

saint-stu
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Experience leadership hasn't prevented 2 massive beltings.
Maybe it would have been worse? But I'm pretty sure it's helpful for the young guys to have Lenny, Roo, Monty and others show them how it's done.

1ac46a38
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The most senior players have earned the right to have their say - they got us to the top for a few years, but that doesn't mean that they are running the Club.

We need to run young players through with consecutive games and if that means that some guys such as Jones and Gwilt have to make way at times, so be it. Schneider and Ray are still more than paying their way each week in my opinion.

There needs to be a mix of experience kept on the field, but the 2 drubbings that we have had doesn't point to it making much of a difference.

saint-stu
Club Player

It's not just about the result. We need some senior guys to help the young players develop.

1ac46a38
Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Just finished watching Open Mike on Foxtel featuring Justin Koshitzke. One thing that Kosi spoke about at the very end of the interview sums up what an absolute a...hole scott waters was. According to Kosi, Watters had to be 'leaned on' to play him in his 200th and last game for the club.
Regardless of where we finish on the ladder this year, we are a better club for having sacked that a....hole!!!!!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Dermot Brereton has a right to express an opinion, however bitter and twisted. I choose to ignore it.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
SainterK wrote:Experience leadership hasn't prevented 2 massive beltings.
Maybe it would have been worse? But I'm pretty sure it's helpful for the young guys to have Lenny, Roo, Monty and others show them how it's done.
Absolutely agree on Len, Roo and Joey, all definite ins.