I don't get it....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: I don't get it....

We have to finish bottom 4.

Just have to.

So as hard as it is to wrench defeat from the jaws of victory as I feel we did last night, we simply can't win more than 5-6 games this year.

We're rooted for the next decade if we don't get another serious dip at the draft this year.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I'm with you Teffers

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
SaintPav wrote:There's plenty of other games to lose.

It didn't have to be tonight against them.

Daniel Merrett. What a f****** hero.
Exactly. Winning in NZ is important. We don't want after 5 years to have lost every outing here and for it to become another Tassie debacle.
Agree NZ is probably where you want to win..... although I think the bigger issue is only 13k turning up... winning/losing might be irrelevant if they don't buy in

We need to play bigger drawing teams tbh
Hmm. I'm thinking similar.

Maybe we need to play a mid ranking Melbourne based team.

One big issue is flights and Welly's really short runway that only allows 737-800's and no higher capacity wide body aircraft to get the fans into the city.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

There are games we just have to win whatever posi we are on the ladder.

You know who I'm talking about.

Hint: Monday night.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Well every single team - including Melbourne and Carlton had won at least one game - leaving the Lions stone cold bottom.

They were very desperate for that win. In hindsight it was always on the cards.
And the St Kilda players were NOT desperate to win in the first half.
That is why they lost.
The kids still need to learn desparation from the likes of Lenny Hayes.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:We have to finish bottom 4.

Just have to.

So as hard as it is to wrench defeat from the jaws of victory as I feel we did last night, we simply can't win more than 5-6 games this year.

We're rooted for the next decade if we don't get another serious dip at the draft this year.
Yes we need to keep losing but we need our players to be always despearately trying to win.
Coaching moves and team selection must be the only means used to ensure the loses.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Just have to.

Spot on Johnny - we NEED that next big draft drink

All those on about "we'll turn into Melbourne or we'll develop a losing culture" - stop panicking. We don't have Garry Lyon picking coaches and we haven't sold off all our leaders so that comparison is dribble

For some suggesting Carlton have 3 no 1 picks - yes, they do....... we also did very well out of a number 1 draft pick some years ago...... 10 year jet we built a club around??????? (Got Goddard for a song too which was nice...). Point is, nothing is guaranteed we know this - the ONLY thing that is guaranteed is: the lower you finish, the higher up the pecking order is your pick. A small advantage but it's the system the AFL give us. Use it.

I'm not calling Hickey A grade by any means yet - I do not think we have a Riewokdt replacement and we have a massive hole to fill coming. Take the pain, fill it now and let the "new Roo" play alongside the old one for a season or two

We still need super trading late in the draft. We still need to offload some favourite sons (has to be done because we need more picks than 1 high one and Pelican has already started this).

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:There are games we just have to win whatever posi we are on the ladder.

You know who I'm talking about.

Hint: Monday night.
Yes fwiw I'd like to win

Bombers
Pies
Blues
Freo

“Yeah….nah””
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

All those who think that getting another 2 or 3 top 3 draft picks is the answer are kidding themselves . If Pelchen and co are as good as some would have us beleive then they should be able to do just as well with 2 or 3 picks in the 5- 10'range. There is no way we are going to have as many first round picks as GWS or GC so it's going to need smart recruiting, good coaching and building a winning culture. If we just wanted eaRly picks we could have got a better result by keeping Watters.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:All those who think that getting another 2 or 3 top 3 draft picks is the answer are kidding themselves . If Pelchen and co are as good as some would have us beleive then they should be able to do just as well with 2 or 3 picks in the 5- 10'range. There is no way we are going to have as many first round picks as GWS or GC so it's going to need smart recruiting, good coaching and building a winning culture. If we just wanted eaRly picks we could have got a better result by keeping Watters.
Simplistic Zed and no ones said that

What is indisputable fact is that a higher pick gives you an advantage at draft time over many other clubs. It's why we've been trading players and picks to get up the order in last few drafts - recruiters know this.

Guarantees?? None in life. It's about positioning yourself to take advantage of opportunity - that's what I'm interested in, not finishing 9th so I can feel all warm and fuzzy cause we over performed 1 year (draw has helped us enormously thus far must also be said.... think so e have forgotten that).

“Yeah….nah””
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Just have to.

I agree, 2 picks inside the 20 and we go again.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Just have to.

Spot on Johnny - we NEED that next big draft drink

All those on about "we'll turn into Melbourne or we'll develop a losing culture" - stop panicking. We don't have Garry Lyon picking coaches and we haven't sold off all our leaders so that comparison is dribble

For some suggesting Carlton have 3 no 1 picks - yes, they do....... we also did very well out of a number 1 draft pick some years ago...... 10 year jet we built a club around??????? (Got Goddard for a song too which was nice...). Point is, nothing is guaranteed we know this - the ONLY thing that is guaranteed is: the lower you finish, the higher up the pecking order is your pick. A small advantage but it's the system the AFL give us. Use it.

I'm not calling Hickey A grade by any means yet - I do not think we have a Riewokdt replacement and we have a massive hole to fill coming. Take the pain, fill it now and let the "new Roo" play alongside the old one for a season or two

We still need super trading late in the draft. We still need to offload some favourite sons (has to be done because we need more picks than 1 high one and Pelican has already started this).
Yes, we had two number 1 picks, two number twos and a number 5 over three years. But they don't hand out priority picks anymore so we would need five years of pain to get any where near that haul. Do you think the club would survive 18th, 18th, 17th and 17th over the next four years?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

No Kosi I don't

I do think 2014/2015 on or near bottom is survivable....but that's not the point if your argument

You argued no guarantees getting high draft picks, I agree
I argued only guarantee is you get an earlier pick and a better opportunity at the best talent than clubs who finish higher. I don't think that's controversial.

Now what could be controversial is how we get this high picks - I want those players busting their guts every week they pull on that jumper and if Roo, Lenny, Joey, et al have the slightest sniffle I want them cheering their hardest from the stands....

“Yeah….nah””
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:No Kosi I don't

I do think 2014/2015 on or near bottom is survivable....but that's not the point if your argument

I argued only guarantee is you get an earlier pick and a better opportunity at the best talent than clubs who finish higher. I don't think that's controversial.

Now what could be controversial is how we get this high picks - I want those players busting their guts every week they pull on that jumper and if Roo, Lenny, Joey, et al have the slightest sniffle I want them cheering their hardest from the stands....
Bottom line is you want us to lose games. That, I will never understand.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Teflon wrote:No Kosi I don't

Bottom line is you want us to lose games. That, I will never understand.
Not at all - i want competitiveness right now and some good wins in that too cause I'm a realist but more than that I want development first with an eye firmly on the future - short term wins over Brisbane now do squat for me

I don't understand those wanting us to overachieve now and somehow supposedly snag the next Nick Riewoldt finishing 9th...... system isn't set up that way and I don't want to pay a Buddy 10m in FA to plug the gaping hole that way either....

The games so skewed by the draw - look at Crows a few seasons ago..... top 4???? We all knew they weren't and had been gifted a draw from heaven........ that can happen to sides an right now that does u no favours in future.... IMO

“Yeah….nah””
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

You keep saying you don't want us to lose but you want us to finish on the bottom. You know how the ladder works don't you?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:You keep saying you don't want us to lose but you want us to finish on the bottom. You know how the ladder works don't you?
Fair enough.
Do you know how to build a list?

noob
Club Player

They were saying the other week that Joel Selwood pick #7 was their highest pick for years. It's development.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:You keep saying you don't want us to lose but you want us to finish on the bottom. You know how the ladder works don't you?
Which ladder - the 2018 one the club has officially acknowledged as our closest next genuine hope?

Yes, I know how that works: we finish top 2, pre lim win , straight through and our top DRAFT pick from a few years earlier J Billings coolly slots the GF sealer as quality does...

This years ladder probably won't work like that and that's ok ..... 1 swallow does not a summer.....and all that

Still like to see good showings as we did against Bombers

Will you be happy for us to finish 9th or 10th this year??

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:They were saying the other week that Joel Selwood pick #7 was their highest pick for years. It's development.
Please do not use Cats with 28 father sons and ridiculous G Ablett compensation (when they only had to use pick 40 odd to get him in the first place due to shyte father son rules) as an example

I think Nathan Burke has all girls yeah??

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Fair enough.
Do you know how to build a list?
I think the plan is keep finishing as high as we can - hopefully bottom end 8 or 9th (cause this list ain't getting higher than that) and somehow get top end talent in to replace Riewoldt in 2 years IF his knee holds that long...... gonna be an interesting ride

Ironically, for those lamenting Melbourne, IF we wallow mid table for some years I suspect that'll surely hasten our fall into Richmond mediocrity quicker than anything.....

“Yeah….nah””
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
noob wrote:They were saying the other week that Joel Selwood pick #7 was their highest pick for years. It's development.
Please do not use Cats with 28 father sons and ridiculous G Ablett compensation (when they only had to use pick 40 odd to get him in the first place due to shyte father son rules) as an example

I think Nathan Burke has all girls yeah??
Yep quoting the Geelong model is the classic sucker punch.
Let's see
Scarlett
Ablett
Blake
Hawkins

Spread out nicely as well.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Let's wait and see what the Pelican and his crew have in mind post season, they have a strategy that will be played out over multiple drafts, this they have made known and as they have shown re the past 2 drafts, they'll put up the least expected senior player as draft bait to see what they can get at the draft table.

it will be an interesting post season, as long as Carlscum don't poach anyone from our current set up.

We should convince them to get Peake from Geelong :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Will you be happy for us to finish 9th or 10th this year??
I'll be extremely happy to win the flag. Happiness drops off proportionally with ladder position from 2 - 18.

Reasonably happy at 9th. Devastated at 18th.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

My ideal scenario is first beat the Blues. .....

Win 6 for the year and get picks 4 and 21.

Try and get Trealor with pick 4 .

If not possible then just best available tall fwd at both 4 and 21 in the draft.