Dylan Roberton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dylan Roberton

plugger66 wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Do we really want to draft a sook who wants to come home?
Given the popularity of guys like Caddy and Jacobs around here, I think most people just want a name they're familiar with.

Hickey wanted to be close to his girlfriend. Not sure that much better.

I was joking. Just thought cripps got treated unfairly for the same thing.

But he rejected us so he's a dog not like that nice Fraser Gherig.

saintjake
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:This is the kind of bloke Sydney snap up and turn into a very solid B-grader. Freo wanted to keep him, but he wanted to come home, I hope we have a really good look at him, fits our missing age profile… Same age as Markworth, Siposs, Stanley, Winmar, Simpkin… but played more senior footy than any of them, so he must be doing something right.

Do we really want to draft a sook who wants to come home?

Came home because he has had a baby I think you'll find Plugger

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:This is the kind of bloke Sydney snap up and turn into a very solid B-grader. Freo wanted to keep him, but he wanted to come home, I hope we have a really good look at him, fits our missing age profile… Same age as Markworth, Siposs, Stanley, Winmar, Simpkin… but played more senior footy than any of them, so he must be doing something right.

Yes that is what I read elsewhere.

Fair enough to come home, legit reason.

Have a good feeling about this kid actually.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saintjake wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes that is what I read elsewhere.

Fair enough to come home, legit reason.

Have a good feeling about this kid actually.

I like him to. Hope we dont draft him though.

Jiminy Wagga
Club Player

Who would you like to draft , plugger?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jiminy Wagga wrote:Who would you like to draft , plugger?

5 unknows so we may get a star. We may not also but i dont want 70 players from other AFL clubs. This happens on this board every year and luckily for us we dont usually take the players mentioned and neither do most clubs.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

5 unknows so we may get a star. We may not also but i dont want 70 players from other AFL clubs. This happens on this board every year and luckily for us we dont usually take the players mentioned and neither do most clubs.

under Lyon we went to far with recycling but we should be looking at all sources for players not just the draft. I will be very happy if we get another mature tall as at least a stop gap FB.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

under Lyon we went to far with recycling but we should be looking at all sources for players not just the draft. I will be very happy if we get another mature tall as at least a stop gap FB.

Not sure if you noticed but we have already picked 3 under your criteria. A stop gap FB is for sides challenging. I dont think we are, you obviously think differently which is fine. I dont want a stop gap and you do.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Not sure if you noticed but we have already picked 3 under your criteria. A stop gap FB is for sides challenging. I dont think we are, you obviously think differently which is fine. I dont want a stop gap and you do.

Unless we get a Rodda sized kid he will be broken after a season as FB -we need someone to do it. A guy like Hardy might be better than Rodda in 5 years anyway who knows. Stop gaps can sometimes end up as solid citizens. Zac Dawson was a back up forward in case Roo or Kosi went down when we got him. jpod was always a good VFL player and was nearly a coleman medalist but it took years to get a second chance.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Unless we get a Rodda sized kid he will be broken after a season as FB -we need someone to do it. A guy like Hardy might be better than Rodda in 5 years anyway who knows. Stop gaps can sometimes end up as solid citizens. Zac Dawson was a back up forward in case Roo or Kosi went down when we got him. jpod was always a good VFL player and was nearly a coleman medalist but it took years to get a second chance.

Zac was a FB. No idea why you think he was recruited for any other reason. I dont class him as a stop gap or anyone else we recuit 24 or under as long as they can eventually be regulars and not in and out like a Wilkes or a gamble type. Depth players are wasted picks for a side in our position.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Zac could have easily ended up a Gamble or Wilkes, he was taken for his form at Box Hill. In fact it was an 8 goal haul from Dawson in 2008 that made some people sit up and take notice, or even consider him.... Remember, he was a flop early doors.....

Nothing wrong with some insurance policies if they have a specific purpose......

I reckon Wilkes did well last year

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: I reckon Wilkes did well last year
I agree, he did well at Sandy. Hope he never pulls on the red white and black again.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Kicked 3 a couple of times, 5 once... I think got Brownlow/coaches votes in one game.... Far from terrible

He ain't a world beater, but as a back up key fwd, very serviceable.... Cannot have a good AFL footballer sitting at Sandy waiting for an injury... Especially KPP's

Jiminy Wagga
Club Player

I would say the reason for roberton( 20 yr old) would enable someone like Gilbert to move up onto the wing perhaps.. plus we have dempster who's 29 yrs old and Blake over 30 so we need to look for the future.. if the recruiters rate roberton better than an 18 yr old who is the same player type in the draft then I have no issue with that

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jiminy Wagga wrote:I would say the reason for roberton( 20 yr old) would enable someone like Gilbert to move up onto the wing perhaps.. plus we have dempster who's 29 yrs old and Blake over 30 so we need to look for the future.. if the recruiters rate roberton better than an 18 yr old who is the same player type in the draft then I have no issue with that
Agree - Gilbo can be a very dangerous wingman.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Zac was a FB. No idea why you think he was recruited for any other reason. I dont class him as a stop gap or anyone else we recuit 24 or under as long as they can eventually be regulars and not in and out like a Wilkes or a gamble type. Depth players are wasted picks for a side in our position.

No we got him as a forward because the hawks sent him to BH where he established himself as a forward, Clarko played him as a junior FB and he was so shot by having himself torn apart by the gorillas that he never played back too often even at the BHH.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Jiminy Wagga wrote:I would say the reason for roberton( 20 yr old) would enable someone like Gilbert to move up onto the wing perhaps.. plus we have dempster who's 29 yrs old and Blake over 30 so we need to look for the future.. if the recruiters rate roberton better than an 18 yr old who is the same player type in the draft then I have no issue with that
Gees I hope we dont pick up Roberton on our main list - to me he is a complete gumby who was fortunate to have been on Freo's list let alone deserve another chance!
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Wed 21 Nov 2012 2:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think we will still need to bring in several mature players in the next couple of drafts just to cover the missing age bracket. When our over 30s retire we will be very exposed. I'm happy for the club to evaluate Roberton if they think he is the best option. I love Shenton but if we ditched someone like Shenton or Staley we could give a go to a 20 yo with AFL experience who at worst could be a handy depth player and I see as a bit like Farren Ray, a solid citizen with a little too few tricks in his bag to be a champ. I hope we can get a mature defender in for the KPB role and we probably need at least one of Gram and goddards spot covered, Farren can fill one and long term probably Newnes, Dunnel or even Milera could do it but a back up plan would be nice.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

No we got him as a forward because the hawks sent him to BH where he established himself as a forward, Clarko played him as a junior FB and he was so shot by having himself torn apart by the gorillas that he never played back too often even at the BHH.

We got him to play FB. It is that simple.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: No we got him as a forward because the hawks sent him to BH where he established himself as a forward, Clarko played him as a junior FB and he was so shot by having himself torn apart by the gorillas that he never played back too often even at the BHH.

We got him to play FB. It is that simple.[/quote]

Not according to someone I believe over you.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote: No we got him as a forward because the hawks sent him to BH where he established himself as a forward, Clarko played him as a junior FB and he was so shot by having himself torn apart by the gorillas that he never played back too often even at the BHH.

We got him to play FB. It is that simple.

Not according to someone I believe over you.[/quote]

Well he is lying. Pretty simple really.

Gershwin
Club Player

I would like us to get Roberton but only for one of our 40's pick's. Hope we don't panic and take him earlier.

summertime and the living is easy ........
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:I would like us to get Roberton but only for one of our 40's pick's. Hope we don't panic and take him earlier.
I can't imagine any need for panic when it comes to being able to draft Roberton....

He'll still be there at Pick 75....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Quixote
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:
Gershwin wrote:I would like us to get Roberton but only for one of our 40's pick's. Hope we don't panic and take him earlier.
I can't imagine any need for panic when it comes to being able to draft Roberton....

He'll still be there at Pick 75....
Exactly. He's nearly a PSD pick if we were really risking it.

To suggest one of our picks in the 20's.

If that were to happen I would outright - lose my s***!

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I think its between him and Cockie, I think Cockie gets the nod but I'm warming towards Roberton. Then again we could sneak in and steal Hine from North, who has more potential than both of them.

Either way, its with a 75, rookie or PSD pick.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!