One finally went our way

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supersaints
Club Player

I may be wrong (as usual) but wasn't Lenny Hayes knocked back by Sydney?

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:I may be wrong (as usual) but wasn't Lenny Hayes knocked back by Sydney?
Well it depends. He was knocked back by about 7 sides its just the Swans had 3 picks before we got him. They had no rights on him though.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:I may be wrong (as usual) but wasn't Lenny Hayes knocked back by Sydney?
Yeah they overlooked him in the draft I believe.

Think they preferred the drongo from Big Brother.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He was a local lad and right under their noses the morrish medallist.....

What they'd give to have the 99 draft back....mcveigh and Hayes from pennant hills........450 plus afl games

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He was a local lad and right under their noses the morrish medallist.....

What they'd give to have the 99 draft back....mcveigh and Hayes from pennant hills........450 plus afl games
They did get handy player in Bolton. Anyway the point is they had no rights on him. Both those players werent taken by about 7 other clubs either. He isnt really like someone who actually was tied to the club.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:He was a local lad and right under their noses the morrish medallist.....

They did get handy player in Bolton. Anyway the point is they had no rights on him. Both those players werent taken by about 7 other clubs either. He isnt really like someone who actually was tied to the club.
Wonder if we would have got Jude? He was a keen St Kilda supporter.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
supersaints
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

I think you are wrong he played one game with Sydney reserves in 1998
I think that means he had somewhat of a tie to the club. 

Go Sainters !!!!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Me thinks the Lenny Hayes question is confused slightly by the fact that IIRC, Sydney reported around draft time that Lenny was too slow to make it - as they took mostly Sydney boys, that made him somewhat of a turned down proposistion

however they didn't have any official ownership on him

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They had the right to everyone with pick 3 (fosdike) 4 (Fitzgerald) and 8 (Bolton) .... And yes other teams did too....

Point was, the overlooked two kids from their backyard who went on to play 200plus afl games...in Lenny s case a bonafide champion who was the morrish medallist leading into that draft.....they got it wrong...in hindsight..

supersaints
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Me thinks the Lenny Hayes question is confused slightly by the fact that IIRC, Sydney reported around draft time that Lenny was too slow to make it - as they took mostly Sydney boys, that made him somewhat of a turned down proposistion

I would have thought that the fact he played one game with the swans reserves (1998) that they had some connection to him. I am not sure but would think that the swans would have to have put in some sort of paperwork with the afl to allow player to play even one reserves game. My memory tells me that the swans considered him too slow. Lenny has to be one that went our way..... Probably the best one!!!
Don't see how anyone would disagree, but then again when has logic played any bearing on saintsational.....

Go Sainters !!!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
skeptic wrote:Me thinks the Lenny Hayes question is confused slightly by the fact that IIRC, Sydney reported around draft time that Lenny was too slow to make it - as they took mostly Sydney boys, that made him somewhat of a turned down proposistion

I would have thought that the fact he played one game with the swans reserves (1998) that they had some connection to him. I am not sure but would think that the swans would have to have put in some sort of paperwork with the afl to allow player to play even one reserves game. My memory tells me that the swans considered him too slow. Lenny has to be one that went our way..... Probably the best one!!!
Don't see how anyone would disagree, but then again when has logic played any bearing on saintsational.....

Logic also suggests they had no more right to him than any other side no matter what paperwork was given to the AFL. Sensational has nothing to do with it, it is more about fact. He certainly was given no indication that they would draft him.