All time greatest Saints players - by number

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Glenn Elliott > Max Hudghton

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
gurubob101
Club Player

skeptic wrote:I refuse to believe that Farren Ray and Beetham could make this list
Jim Read #21 played in the 1966 premiership side on a wing and played 70+ games for the club. He should be included on this instead of Beetham.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:You cannot leave the Doc out. Plugger won his Brownlow in the #14, and he was a much better #14 than Luke Ball.
Agree. Seems a reasonable way around the problem.
Leave doc at 4 and plugger at 14.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

What number was russel jeffrey? 36 maybe ? Get him in.
Gun player and arguably the toughest saint ever. He was just a scary unit.

What abour rod keogh ?

supersaints
Club Player

As much as I love the G train, he was not a patch on john Macintosh. JM was an absolutely brilliant player who played wary 70s but was cut down after 50 or so games with. Knee injury ( in the days when it ended your career). He would have been our best player behind Ian Stewart at his time with us

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints
Club Player

I'm told Bill Cubbins was easily the best number 11 ever for the saints. He played around the twenties was considered the best full back of the era, he won about 4 best and fairests, captained the club for several years and was captain/ coach at one stage.
I loved Burnsy as a player but I think he's gotta be demoted ( sadly)

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints
Club Player

I'm told Bill Cubbins was easily the best number 11 ever for the saints. He played around the twenties was considered the best full back of the era, he won about 4 best and fairests, captained the club for several years and was captain/ coach at one stage.
I loved Burnsy as a player but I think he's gotta be demoted ( sadly)

Go Sainters !!!!!
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

supersaints wrote:As much as I love the G train, he was not a patch on john Macintosh. JM was an absolutely brilliant player who played wary 70s but was cut down after 50 or so games with. Knee injury ( in the days when it ended your career). He would have been our best player behind Ian Stewart at his time with us
so hundred goals in a season counts for nothing!!!

24 g.gellie over heatley

gurubob101
Club Player

supersaints wrote:As much as I love the G train, he was not a patch on john Macintosh. JM was an absolutely brilliant player who played wary 70s but was cut down after 50 or so games with. Knee injury ( in the days when it ended your career). He would have been our best player behind Ian Stewart at his time with us
He was a brilliant player. Tall, fast, could find the footy and was a beautiful kick but only played 51 games for us. His son was not even half the player that JM was. THere's no doubt McIntosh was one of our best imports from the West.

The G train played 145 games with us and kicked 390 goals. Before he came to us he was a wingman at the Drug Crazed Eagles. Tall, fast,could find the footy and was a beautiful kick.

Having seen both play I'd give The G Train the nod based on his superior career record and his outstanding mullet weighed against the balding superstar from the West's unrealised potential.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Glenn Elliott > Max Hudghton

In the stats rleague site it has both Glenn Elliott and his brother Rob Elliott wearing number 8 from 73-77 which of course could not happen

For some reason I thought Glenn wore number 5 or 6 during this period - however this also clashes with some other players (Barry Lawrence in 5 and Bob Murray / Mark Greene in 6

Can anyone clarify??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

Devilhead wrote:

In the stats rleague site it has both Glenn Elliott and his brother Rob Elliott wearing number 8 from 73-77 which of course could not happen

For some reason I thought Glenn wore number 5 or 6 during this period - however this also clashes with some other players (Barry Lawrence in 5 and Bob Murray / Mark Greene in 6

Can anyone clarify??
Robbie wore number 13, Glenn was definitely 8.

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

Cmon now Cayden Beetham? Darren Bourke was heaps better even though he was never setting the world on fire.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

On the Bench wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Can anyone clarify??
Actually just read that somehwere - that said on the stats site they have down Phil Stevens wearing number 13 (though I am sure he was 19) and also a guy called Peter Bell wearing 13 from 75 to 77

Anyone remember Peter Bell in the 70's - played 33 games and kicked 33 goals??

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

ImageImage

G Elliott - 8 & R. Elliott - 13 8-)

From the famous yet horrifying Western Oval '78 match

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
On the Bench wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Can anyone clarify??
Actually just read that somehwere - that said on the stats site they have down Phil Stevens wearing number 13 (though I am sure he was 19) and also a guy called Peter Bell wearing 13 from 75 to 77

Anyone remember Peter Bell in the 70's - played 33 games and kicked 33 goals??
Yeah I remember Peter Bell.

Bit of a rangy half forward type with the non descript haircut and moustache combo that was popular in the day - Robbie Elliott being another example of that look :)

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:ImageImage

not a bad reserves side

Butterss and Thomas hatching plans and dreams in the 2s

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:From the famous yet horrifying Western Oval '78 match
i never knew about that one. templeton 15.9! and who was ian dunstan for the dogs - had 36 possessions and kicked 7.3?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Devilhead wrote:From the famous yet horrifying Western Oval '78 match
i never knew about that one. templeton 15.9! and who was ian dunstan for the dogs - had 36 possessions and kicked 7.3?
Templeton was unstoppable that day, although by the end of it the umps were awarding him marks for simply getting a hand on the ball.

The Saints actually started to walk off the ground early thinking the siren had gone, but unfortuantely there was still a bit more pain to endure.

Horrible day. :(

Furphy
Club Player

HardSaint wrote:
Devilhead wrote:ImageImage

not a bad reserves side

Butterss and Thomas hatching plans and dreams in the 2s

Back in those days, the footy record used to name players who were injured/unavailable in the reserves for some strange reason.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:What number was russel jeffrey? 36 maybe ? Get him in.

What abour rod keogh ?
Scary? You obviously never saw Eric Guy play.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
iremember66
Club Player

C'mon hungry -
Having perused the Coghlan post (and me being Bill Cannon) surely 24 is the greatest - (he played 1 game, but what a blinder - kicked 2 points (I'm sure it was 3 last time I looked - maybe give it another couple of days and your pick will be correct).

Anyone who gets to pull on a Saints jumper (and plays, I mean), is a champ.

Love 'em all.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:What number was russel jeffrey? 36 maybe ? Get him in.

What abour rod keogh ?
Scary? You obviously never saw Eric Guy play.
And neither did Bobby Skilton see much of him play that day Ecca shirt fronted Skilts :twisted: It was like the Christchurch earth tremmors resounding around the ground, the crunch was so brutal.

Yep Eric was the toughest Sainter I have ever seen............... none of the behind the ball stuff from Eric. He would just run in a straight line, with a very low centre of gravity for a big man, with those bandy legs pumping hard and it was look out anyone who got in the way of him and the ball.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Anyone remember that Carlton game, when a Carlton player was taking a long run with many bounces down the field, and Eric shirtfronted him. You could see it coming when they were 30 yards apart. The poor bloke was stretchered off. and he was really black and blue. Was it Laurie Kerr?

loris
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Anyone remember that Carlton game, when a Carlton player was taking a long run with many bounces down the field, and Eric shirtfronted him. You could see it coming when they were 30 yards apart. The poor bloke was stretchered off. and he was really black and blue. Was it Laurie Kerr?
It was like lambs to the slaughter for "The Tank". He would be minding his man on the half back flank and one of those flashy players aka Laurie Kerr would start running and bouncing the ball along the wing and Eric would take off, leave his opponent and run in a direct line for the on-coming player. It was as if Guy had a magnet under his guernsey, they would make no attempt to run around him, the idiots would run straight into him. Then out would come the stretcher. Ho Hum!! It was noticeable that the opposing team never had the courage to remonstrate with Eric though. They would usually try and take Neil Roberts out in retaliation.

Guy was a bricklayer by trade and was built like the proverbial brick dunny sh1t house. Those bandy legs couldnt stop a pig running through them. And the thatch of straw blonde hair that would flop up and down when he run with that funny gait he had was a sight to be seen

A comment Allan Jeans made about Eric has always remained with me. Jeans said, "Eric is as tough as a St Kilda boarding house steak". And for those who can recall the boarding houses around St Kilda in them there days they weren't salubrious places that served high cuisine by any stretch of the imagination.

Bad Co.
Club Player

Classic Devilhead. How's the ressies with Thomas, Butterss, Colin Carter and Geischen. Not to mention Brian Wilson and a top bloke in Mark Sarau. Speaking of top blokes, have to nominate Simon Meehan for #28 over O'Brien. Still a passionate Saints man and kicked nearly 2 a game in an ave. side.