Fixture

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Can of worms maybe, but do you think the 'killing the spectacle' stuff has come back to bite?
Yep our fixture next year is also RL fault.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Can of worms maybe, but do you think the 'killing the spectacle' stuff has come back to bite?
I disagree.

The media went over the top about it, it wasn't pretty at times, but no were as big a deal as they made it

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 5860855366

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news ... 1dr0c.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/r ... 5861078663

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/h ... 6032213004
Last edited by SainterK on Tue 25 Oct 2011 4:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

you mean those 55 Vs 50 point games?

YES,

from what I can tell, no-one wants to watch the Saints apart from us…

Saints/Port is probably about the least interesting fixture for many footy fans.

noddy04
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:
saintbrat wrote: BUt thank goodness it's school holidays.. ( March 30th last dayof term 1)
yeah but still....Holidays or not i dont want to sleep there.

Dools every time you come to Adelaide you try to run it down. Have you had any bad experiences over here or is it just the stupid us v them mentality that seems to be rife between a lot of victorian and south australians? That mentality sh its me to tears. Did any south aussies or victorians worry where they came from when they were getting shot at in any of the wars? No they were just thankful that they were Aussies backing them up. If it wasnt for players from interstate there wouldnt be a AFL for you to follow. I have always found our city easy to get around and very clean unlike Melbourne but hey do i ever say ohhh i dont want to sleep in that city? Get over it mate and enjoy the thought of catching up with me again :)

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

noddy04 wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
saintbrat wrote: BUt thank goodness it's school holidays.. ( March 30th last dayof term 1)

Dools every time you come to Adelaide you try to run it down. Have you had any bad experiences over here or is it just the stupid us v them mentality that seems to be rife between a lot of victorian and south australians? That mentality sh its me to tears. Did any south aussies or victorians worry where they came from when they were getting shot at in any of the wars? No they were just thankful that they were Aussies backing them up. If it wasnt for players from interstate there wouldnt be a AFL for you to follow. I have always found our city easy to get around and very clean unlike Melbourne but hey do i ever say ohhh i dont want to sleep in that city? Get over it mate and enjoy the thought of catching up with me again :)
Adelaide LOL

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

noddy04 wrote:
saintdooley wrote:

ohh Nods you personally are a great bloke and if Adelaide were made up of 1.28 million of you, it would be a wonderful place.
But coming over from Melbourne there is such a difference. There is no real night life in the city; we have a very poor record at that stadium so that makes the trip over worse knowing theres a good chance we will lose...no matter where we are on the ladder or our recent form; more than not it is raining; Its just about always a low scoring game either v crows or port; The stadium could not possibly be any furthur away from the city (on that note will webe playing at the Adelaide Oval round 1???) I have to pay the cab driver and extra $2 to get out of the airport; my flights always seem to get delayed leaving that airport; and i just do not like Port or the Crows all together.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I disagree.

The media went over the top about it, it wasn't pretty at times, but no were as big a deal as they made it

I could barely care less what it was like for neutrals, it was winning games and we got plenty of exposure by winning. I can't cop any Saints fans complaining about ugly, winning footy.

Take a look at the 80s. Not much good kicking 17 goals if the other side is kicking 25.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dragit
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I disagree.

I could barely care less what it was like for neutrals, it was winning games and we got plenty of exposure by winning. I can't cop any Saints fans complaining about ugly, winning footy.

Take a look at the 80s. Not much good kicking 17 goals if the other side is kicking 25.
That's fine, as Saints fans we can deal very easily with winning ugly, but if the general public doesn't like watching us, we won't get the good TV fixtures and exposure.

noddy04
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:
noddy04 wrote:
saintdooley wrote:

ohh Nods you personally are a great bloke and if Adelaide were made up of 1.28 million of you, it would be a wonderful place.
But coming over from Melbourne there is such a difference. There is no real night life in the city; we have a very poor record at that stadium so that makes the trip over worse knowing theres a good chance we will lose...no matter where we are on the ladder or our recent form; more than not it is raining; Its just about always a low scoring game either v crows or port; The stadium could not possibly be any furthur away from the city (on that note will webe playing at the Adelaide Oval round 1???) I have to pay the cab driver and extra $2 to get out of the airport; my flights always seem to get delayed leaving that airport; and i just do not like Port or the Crows all together.

Fair enough mate :D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I disagree.

That's fine, as Saints fans we can deal very easily with winning ugly, but if the general public doesn't like watching us, we won't get the good TV fixtures and exposure.
That's the point I was trying to make thanks dragit, also may explain the struggle to sell stadium signage and the like if nobody is watching.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

swarta wrote:as nice as that sounds it completely ruins finals, st kilda and essendon would've missed out on finals last year to north and freo, and would have also had played collingwood, geelong, carlton, hawthorn twice with teams like WCE only playing all of them once leaving them unprepared for finals
Swings and roundabouts!
In the early-mid part of the 2000's the finals were dominated by the non-Vics. Sydney, WCE, Adelaide and Port all doing well. It will come to pass where the finals are dominated by non-Vics again. You can't judge a system with a sample size of one season.

Also, it proved to be that neither Essendon nor us deserved to make the finals as both were beaten fairly easily in the first week.

For years teams have made the finals when they have clearly not been ready or deserved it. This will be no different. AS long as the four best teams end up in the Prelims then all is OK.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

there are ways around that $2 tax :wink:

and you can get to AAMI for much less than $30 IF you arrive on a week day :wink:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

a couple of easy ones near the end sounds cherry ripe to me.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Carlton, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, Richmond and St Kilda will have the bye in Round 13.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6176663053

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
swarta wrote:as nice as that sounds it completely ruins finals, st kilda and essendon would've missed out on finals last year to north and freo, and would have also had played collingwood, geelong, carlton, hawthorn twice with teams like WCE only playing all of them once leaving them unprepared for finals
Swings and roundabouts!
In the early-mid part of the 2000's the finals were dominated by the non-Vics. Sydney, WCE, Adelaide and Port all doing well. It will come to pass where the finals are dominated by non-Vics again. You can't judge a system with a sample size of one season.

Also, it proved to be that neither Essendon nor us deserved to make the finals as both were beaten fairly easily in the first week.

For years teams have made the finals when they have clearly not been ready or deserved it. This will be no different. AS long as the four best teams end up in the Prelims then all is OK.
Yep, we didn't deserve to make the finals even though we finished 6th. I reckon that North deserved to make the finals instead of us even though we beat them twice during the year and finished 2 and a half games clear of them.

GF result also proved that the Pies didn't deserve to make the GF either.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ThePunter
Club Player

Geelong & Sydney round robin Round 1 NAB Cup Feb 24 @ Etihad.

Essendon Round 2 @ Wangaratta.

West Coast Round 3 @ Paterson Stadium.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

toughen up dools ffs

softcock :D 8-) 8-)

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Hun says none of the top 5 from 2011 will get to play GC or GWS twice, and that no teams will play both of them twice. So 5 teams will play GWS twice, and 5 different teams will play GC twice, out of 11 sides.

We already know we only get GWS once, which means we should play GC both at home and away. Or will we be the one single side outside the top 5 that doesn't??

ThePunter
Club Player

Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and North Melbourne are getting GWS twice.

Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast and St Kilda are not.

Brisbane will get GC twice.

Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, North Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn & West Coast will not.

That means four out of Essendon, Fremantle, GWS, Richmond, Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs and St Kilda will get GC twice.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Hun says none of the top 5 from 2011 will get to play GC or GWS twice, and that no teams will play both of them twice. So 5 teams will play GWS twice, and 5 different teams will play GC twice, out of 11 sides.

We already know we only get GWS once, which means we should play GC both at home and away. Or will we be the one single side outside the top 5 that doesn't??
bank on it.
and to answer whether or not or fixture will see a lot of unpopular scheduling - most likely - we have the reputation of being a very dull team to watch - hell, we are (were?) a terrible team to watch. hence fewer blockbuster games.
is this ross lyon's fault?
depends on whether we blame the man who developed the gameplan or the men who appointed him. most were satisfied with the gameplan when we were winning - but it certainly didn't appeal to the neutral spectator.
we risked a lot under the lyon reign, it almost came off, now we are seeing the consequences.
but it was worth the risk imo - so bloody close. but ross's time was done. thank god he walked. now we repair the damage.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
ThePunter
Club Player

You can guarantee one thing about a home game against the Gold Coast (or any of the teams from the Northern states): it won't be a Sunday twilight game.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and North Melbourne are getting GWS twice.

Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast and St Kilda are not.

Brisbane will get GC twice.

Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, North Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn & West Coast will not.

That means four out of Essendon, Fremantle, GWS, Richmond, Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs and St Kilda will get GC twice.
GC were reported to play GWS twice. So it's 3 out of Ess, Fre, Rich, PA, WB and StK. WB played them twice this year so perhaps slightly less likely.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:toughen up dools ffs

softcock :D 8-) 8-)
But i have to work an extra 4.5 minutes just to pay to get out of the airport. Its just not worth it.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah ya right
melbs is much better for things that are actually open
we actually say that every time we get there

but traffic?
forget it
i lose the plot

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:yeah ya right
melbs is much better for things that are actually open
we actually say that every time we get there

but traffic?
forget it
i lose the plot
Just turn nocturnal like me and you will never have put up with traffic ever again.