Should Gwilt Keep Goose Out?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rexy
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:What player could come in and provide a foil for the big two that the opposition rebounder would have to respect...
Not sure, not Goose though, with Goose in they would need to or want to throw another Tall back which would make high marking harder for the forwards. Goose would also be to slow to chase the rebounder out of the 50. The 3rd fwd or the foil needs to be the type of medium sized player who is agile and quick enough to become part of the midfield rotation. Hird and Hamil could do this, as can Chapman and Medhurst currently.

Would like to say Raph but I dont think he gets involved enough when he plays fwd of the ball, Gwilt looks to be our best option at the moment, obviously Gilbert is or was fancied by the coaching staff but I think we lose to much for to little return. Lynch could be the future of this role if his aerobic capacity is good enough?

Maybe this year?
HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Given Goose's 5 goal bag with the Zebs last week which turned the game around by switching him forward, surely Kosi's the guy that needs to step aside and get some form to make way for Goose, if he's ready

rexy
SS Life Member

HardSaint wrote:Given Goose's 5 goal bag with the Zebs last week which turned the game around by switching him forward, surely Kosi's the guy that needs to step aside and get some form to make way for Goose, if he's ready
Wouldnt have thought so, Kosi is a genuine game breaker, is kicking beautifully, hits packs hard, takes contested marks sorry pack marks and is a very good tackler. He is also a competent ruck man and a rising star winning CHB.

When Roo was quiet early, Kosi was the difference. Now roo is on fire and Kos is taking his man away from the contest and providing an option for the long kick forward when we have no shorter options.

Would have to play more than a couple of quiet ones to be even considered for omission.

Maybe this year?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:kosi is a genuine game breaker, is kicking beautifully, hits packs hard, takes contested marks sorry pack marks and is a very good tackler. He is also a competent ruck man and a rising star winning CHB.

When Roo was quiet early, Kosi was the difference. Now roo is on fire and Kos is taking his man away from the contest and providing an option for the long kick forward when we have no shorter options.

Would have to play more than a couple of quiet ones to be even considered for omission.
agree. kosi's been very good this season.

saint vince
Club Player

HardSaint wrote:Given Goose's 5 goal bag with the Zebs last week which turned the game around by switching him forward, surely Kosi's the guy that needs to step aside and get some form to make way for Goose, if he's ready
You are obviously just taking the piss here and are not serious are you???

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

saint vince wrote:
You are obviously just taking the piss here and are not serious are you???
Not entirely.
Look, I'm all for keeping it as it is, and the question is about dropping Gwilt for Goose which I think the arguments have shown, and in my opinion, not a good fit. If Goose is raring and ready to go, where do you put him? for arguments sake.... Kosi's been better this year, and we all want to see him fulfil his potential, but I still think he's patchy and needs consistency and improvement.
I'm not sure dropping him to the 2's is the way to go, but hey its all conjecture.
Earlier Rossy experimented with Sam Gilbert as a forward option and perhaps Goose could fill that role at some time

TassieJones
Club Player

Should definitely come in, for Gwilt... maybe. 1 or 2 others might be on the chopping block first though.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No, I do not believe that Kosi, Goose and Kosi could.......

if Kosi was the #2 Ruckman resting fwd......maybe

but Goose is probably back up for and of our KPP's (back or fwd atm)
Armo is our back up mid.....
Eddy, Begley, L.Fisher are back up runners
Gwilt should be a back up utility
Dawson back up FB

I believe Raph when fit, is better than Gwilt.......can play HB/W/HF......he is cleaner, more creative and put simply - a better player....up and about. atm Gwilt is a better option as Raph is not match fit

I also think Goddard should be the third tall fwd........push into the midfield....and across HB when needed....

rexy
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:No, I do not believe that Kosi, Goose and Kosi could.......

if Kosi was the #2 Ruckman resting fwd......maybe

Dawson back up FB

I believe Raph when fit, is better than Gwilt.......can play HB/W/HF......he is cleaner, more creative and put simply - a better player....up and about. atm Gwilt is a better option as Raph is not match fit

I also think Goddard should be the third tall fwd........push into the midfield....and across HB when needed....
I have always said no but maybe you are right on the money here. Perhaps Raph goes into the back half, BJ into the front half and Gwilt goes out. Think it is a waste of BJs foot skills but It strengthens the whole team across the board.

Maybe this year?
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No, I do not believe that Kosi, Goose and Roo could...(all play forward)

if Kosi was the #2 Ruckman resting fwd ... maybe

Dawson back up FB

agree with all of that, though i think that dawson is going to take some dislodging.

i love max and am in awe of the service he's given the club, but dawson has hardly put a foot wrong.

i think that max will have to play at least a couple for sandy to gain some match fitness.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 13 May 2009 12:01am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Think it is a waste of BJs foot skills. (to play forward)
i know what you mean, but the value of goals on the board shouldn't be underestimated either. riewoldt kicked well on monday, but it hasn't always been the case.

Brooksy_Babe_24
Club Player

Keep Goose in sandy until 3 weeks before the geelong match same with maxi

Brooksy I'll never Forget you

AKA Austinn's_Honey & Troy's_Gal
NEVER EVER BAG YOUR OWN PLAYERS

http://blog.myspace.com/sexc_saz
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:RL usually doesnt change winning sides unless a star is coming back or there is an injury. Apologies to Eddy and Big Ben this week.
that change was made for structure, i think.

ross explained at his press conference that he prefers two dedicated ruckmen and two dedicated key forwards.

he said we'd got away without it for a couple of weeks, but that is his preferred structure.

Broodruff
Club Player

No.

Once Goose is fully fit, proven himself in the seconds and has a bit of match fitness and form under his belt, he should be bought in.

All this talk of playing him forward:
Maybe, You could throw him forward in a pinch at some stage of the game, but he should always, ALWAYS be named down back. Its what he does best.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

barring injury or a dramatic loss of form from the incumbents he'll have trouble breaking into our back six ... the best-performed defensive unit in the competiton.

so i think it makes sense to explore other possibilities of how we might get this potentially very good player into the team.

he's aerially very strong, can split packs and, going on last week's performance for sandy, can kick goals.

imo, good players are often a lot more versatile than many think and can play both ends. it's still football. you've still got to win the ball and do something with it.

i think that marto is right and he can slot into a key position, either forward or back, if and when one become available.