Roos/Lyon owe football an apology.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The aspect of Sat Nights game that dissapointed me was our apparent lack of confidence is backing our key forwards, mainly Kosi, one out.

Time and again we'd have the ball around 60-70 out...yes with a wall of swans confronting them..but behind that wall? Often Kosi or Roo or Gardy one-out against their opponent. Would we roost it long to them though? Noo..we'd play chippalotto for 15 posessions until a leading target appeared..generally wayyyy out wide on the boundary line.

C'mon, kick it OVER the flood and back your key forwards one-out!!!! Not every mark inside 50 has to be a bloke 10m out in front of his opponent. Its not gonna happen that often with 18 Sydney blokes clogging up the defensive 50

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:kick it OVER the flood and back your key forwards one-out! Not every mark inside 50 has to be a bloke 10m out in front of his opponent.
well said. nothing wrong with kicking to a contest, especially if it is kosi against an undersized opponent.

that's why he is in the forward line ... because he can take a contested mark.

so go long and give him a chance to do his thing.

if it spills to ground then hopefully milne or schneider or someone else is there to capitalise

spert
Saintsational Legend

You need someone to break the game open and take a few risks..generally the midfielders and onballers need to to do this, but our guys seem happy playing within themselves a bit too much -blokes like NDS pick up lots of easy possessions, but just don't seem to step on the accelerator enough. BUT we won, though a low scoring effort like that is a disgrace in modern footy on a fine day on a good ground and I'm sure the AFL are not too wrapped to see rubbish like that.

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

BUT we won, though a low scoring effort like that is a disgrace in modern footy on a fine day on a good ground and I'm sure the AFL are not too wrapped to see rubbish like that.
It wasn't a fine day or even night, it was a muggy humid 26 degrees. There was rarely an opportunity given to break the lines and kick it long. Gram was well held by O'Keefe and really the only ones who broke free and gave us run were the Clarkes. The one opportunity taken was when Kosi took his big mark. it was only low scoring because we couldn't kick straight.

luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

aww.. Bit Harsh guys....

That was nowhere near as bad as the Hawthorn game last year at the G.
At least this was a close WIN and not a LOSS as was the outcome last year...

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Before we start crapping on about how great the Swans are, please let's not forget they only won 12 games last year (only 1 more than us) and from that team, are now missing about 5 players.

They are ordinary.

My greatest fear appears to be coming to fruition - we've been sucked in by Sydney's flag and this myth that they are a great side. Their flag was the Steven Bradbury of flags - yet we've been sucked into copying their style. A style which couldn't get them to within 40 points of anyone (us included) when they didn't have their entire list to choose from.

Duggie
Club Player

It reminded me of the time we beat the Swines at the Dome about four seasons ago when after the game I became embroiled in an argument with one of their fanatics who was telling the whole world that the 4 points should have been taken from us because of flooding.
We will have to expect it to continue now that there are two coaches of the same geneology at the helm.
What Lyon must do quickly this week is purge the memory of a shocking exhibition of our famous game from players' minds otherwise we will create the major upheaval of the year by going down to the Blues. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
mischa
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:My greatest fear appears to be coming to fruition - we've been sucked in by Sydney's flag and this myth that they are a great side. Their flag was the Steven Bradbury of flags
Yeh. And they probably wouldn't even have that if Hall hadn't been playing :roll: :roll: Good old Andy. How Roos can say that there being hard done by is anybody's guess :?:

hAyES
Club Player

:lol:

I like the thread title. Totally agree. If next week the game isn't free-flowing like some of the stuff I've seen from the other clubs then I don't think we'll make the finals.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roos/Lyon owe football an apology.

Spinner wrote:
chook23 wrote:Ok 4pts is 4pts.....Win is a win etc etc

But that was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen.
Just imagine if we lost

later in the year the 4pts will be valuable...

:wink:
Agreed. Worst game ever....And yes I was at the Sydney Draw & Hawthorn Game....

Last night was deplorable.
and yet I saw several of our supporters clap to the club song after the game, as if to say "well done".

They didn't deserve that. I just sat still arms crossed stunned at the crap dished out.

We led all night and deserved to win, no question, but it was no great achievment.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roos/Lyon owe football an apology.

saintspremiers wrote:
Spinner wrote:
chook23 wrote:Ok 4pts is 4pts.....Win is a win etc etc

But that was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen.
Just imagine if we lost

later in the year the 4pts will be valuable...

:wink:
Agreed. Worst game ever....And yes I was at the Sydney Draw & Hawthorn Game....

Last night was deplorable.
and yet I saw several of our supporters clap to the club song after the game, as if to say "well done".

They didn't deserve that. I just sat still arms crossed stunned at the crap dished out.

We led all night and deserved to win, no question, but it was no great achievment.
Wanna hand the points back then cos we didnt put on a showpiece ornament of a game??

Maybe we were clapping because we had won a danger game against one of last years finalists? I'll be the first to admit it wasnt an awesome standard game, but..when those 4 points get us a Top 4 spot in 21 weeks time, I'm tipping we'll forget all about how we got them

Whilst RL gave em a dressing down afterwards..I reckon they still sang the song

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
jill
Club Player

I sang and clapped ! We deserved to win - yes got sucked in but last year we would have panicked & probably lost!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I was glad to win, but I have never been flatter after a win!!!

No way I was clapping and cheering after watching 2 hours of that absolute schoolboy crapfest. Keep that up and watch crowds shrink faster than you believe.

Absolute crap. I expect ALOT different/better effort next week.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:I was glad to win, but I have never been flatter after a win!!!
I was flat because that game - win, lose or draw, suggested we won't have another flag for at least another 3 years.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I wouldnt go that far rodger :D But s*** needs to change quickly, god forbid we play like that every second week. Its happened enough times against other sides beside sydney for it to be a concern.

But otoh, you win flags playing like geelong. ESPECIALLY with a foward line like ours!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
But otoh, you win flags playing like geelong. ESPECIALLY with a foward line like ours!
You mean like we used to?