Supporters need perspective

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Supporters need perspective

Scollop wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 3:54am
Teflon wrote: Tue 08 Aug 2023 9:21pm
Steele isn’t a creative mid - he’s not Petracca Bont or Cripps…he’s more Crouch…this game style should suit his second to the footy tackle style
Has Brad Crouch polled more votes than Bont, Oliver, Cripps and Perracca in the Brownlow?

https://www.saints.com.au/news/828310/s ... nlow-medal

You need a little more talent than just being a ‘second to the footy tackle style’ player to get a podium finish at the Brownlow.

Also…let’s not forget…Ryan Crowley…Clint Jones and Brad Crouch have never worn an All Australian jacket

Jack’s earnt AA honours twice. Anyhoo….thanks for your insight Mr Football

Labelling Steele as not creative is wrong. It’s ignoring the fact that at times he’s asked to perform a role.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/25/ ... lian-team/
Your Brownlow votes prove squat about his mid style
He’s a defensive midfielder- how often does he burst from a stoppage and score????
**** all
He’s on the bottom dishing it out and very often second to the ball - tackling an opponent to win possession
No shame in that it’s what he is
He wouldn’t have issues with that
Unlike you who can’t get your head around basic footy it appears
Keep up

“Yeah….nah””
takeaway
Club Player

Steele isn’t a creative mid - he’s not Petracca Bont or Cripps…he’s more Crouch…this game style should suit his second to the footy tackle style
Has Brad Crouch polled more votes than Bont, Oliver, Cripps and Perracca in the Brownlow?

You need a little more talent than just being a ‘second to the footy tackle style’ player to get a podium finish at the Brownlow.

Also…let’s not forget…Ryan Crowley…Clint Jones and Brad Crouch have never worn an All Australian jacket

Labelling Steele as not creative is wrong. It’s ignoring the fact that at times he’s asked to perform a role.

I didn't realise Brownlows and AA were based on creativity. I wouldn't peg Steele as a creative mid, more tough, hard working, uncompromising, effective, great tackler - those attributes get votes as well. Steele is just not having the year he was hoping for. Saints don't have a creative mid - as yet. Owens in the future, maybe. Sinclair can be creative, but does that better off half back.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

RTB mid week presser today.

Cut and paste video and transcript and other gospel below this line.

—————————————————————————————++++++

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

'What!' said the master at length, in a faint voice.
'Please, sir,' replied Oliver, 'I want some more.'
The master aimed a blow at Oliver's head with the ladle; pinioned him in his arm; and shrieked aloud for the beadle.
The board were sitting in solemn conclave, when Mr Bumble rushed into the room in great excitement, and addressing the gentleman in the high chair, said,
'Mr Limbkins, I beg your pardon, sir! a fan has asked for more!'
There was a general start. Horror was depicted on every countenance.
'For MORE!' said Mr Limbkins. 'Compose yourself, Bumble, and answer me distinctly. Do I understand that he asked for more, after he had been told the list was not good enough to give more?'
'He did, sir,' replied Bumble.
'That fan will be hung,' said the gentleman in the white waistcoat. 'I know that fan will be hung.'

with apologies to Charles Dickens.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 10:38am RTB mid week presser today.

Cut and paste video and transcript and other gospel below this line.

—————————————————————————————++++++
I’m with you much prefer Brett’s…
“Gday saints fans….gee whizz we just let that 10 goal hiding slip a bit…”

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 10:55am 'What!' said the master at length, in a faint voice.
'Please, sir,' replied Oliver, 'I want some more.'
The master aimed a blow at Oliver's head with the ladle; pinioned him in his arm; and shrieked aloud for the beadle.
The board were sitting in solemn conclave, when Mr Bumble rushed into the room in great excitement, and addressing the gentleman in the high chair, said,
'Mr Limbkins, I beg your pardon, sir! a fan has asked for more!'
There was a general start. Horror was depicted on every countenance.
'For MORE!' said Mr Limbkins. 'Compose yourself, Bumble, and answer me distinctly. Do I understand that he asked for more, after he had been told the list was not good enough to give more?'
'He did, sir,' replied Bumble.
'That fan will be hung,' said the gentleman in the white waistcoat. 'I know that fan will be hung.'

with apologies to Charles Dickens.
I’d see yourself out..

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Fair points

Steele isn't creative etc.,

But what can explain his fall-off?

Maybe he is just 'off-the-pace' due to injuries that have happened at the wrong time

The list of players who have 'fallen a peg or two' on the list of damaging players is long

Gresham
Steele
Howard
Membrey
Higgins
dare I say - King
Hunter
JB
Windy
Bytel
Byrnes

So I wonder, was it that these players had a 'best-and-worst' portfolio that has now been 'evened out' by the accountable style of play that RTB and his staff have enforced? NOtwithstanding Gresham's petulance and want o ignore his team mates..(which looks like that he isn't (on the team bus' so to speak)

Players who are really going well have also made a lot of errors..even Wood kicked straight to oppo 10 times and cost us goals...Hill one too. BUt that I can't put down to team plans,

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

All of those players are either

Ruined due to injury
Or
Struggle with new coaching/game plan

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 2:30pm All of those players are either

Ruined due to injury
Or
Or
Just horribly out of form that they need to work through as every athlete does

You’re an athlete…you know this

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 2:32pm
B.M wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 2:30pm All of those players are either

Ruined due to injury
Or
Or
Just horribly out of form that they need to work through as every athlete does

You’re an athlete…you know this
Mmm

Some maybe, we’re not as good as we first thought. Paton, Bytel, Coffield, Connolly, ?

Then first honeymoons quickly petered out…
Caminiti, Pou, Sharman

Perhaps some have played at less than 100% fitness

Membrey was rancid pre-latest-injury..and I wonder whether he and Ross are closer to the end..
But Members has finished seasons off strongly in the past, including those when he was infuriatingly disappointing mid-season.

Owens has been a bright but flickering star…but even he has gone behind clouds some games, as expected of young players finding their way, and coaches learning about how to use/not use them.?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s funny

If they were shooting the lights out, you’d be crediting the coach

But alas, if they are struggling

It is form?!

Maybe players were just out of form under other coaches?

Personally
I don’t believe in form, I believe in working hard, and playing each game as a separate situation. If you play poorly it’s to do with work ethic and decision making

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

:lol:
Teflon wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 8:37am

He’s a defensive midfielder- how often does he burst from a stoppage and score????
**** all
He’s on the bottom dishing it out and very often second to the ball - tackling an opponent to win possession
Keep up
You said he wasn’t like Cripps… didn’t you Mr Football? You obviously think Cripps is more creative.

You think that simply because you write down a bunch of words that they actually have any truth or carry any weight. Your words are just an opinion from a pleb. Maybe your memory is faded, but the last full year that Steele had injury free was 2021.

You said he is like Brad Crouch. Brad is certainly having an amazing year this year. Try comparing Steele’s 2021 year with Brad’s stats for this year. Steele has double Brad’s average for goals and dominates in most areas (that perhaps would be construed as being creative) including inside 50 entries, marks i50, and Frees for. I’ve already gone through this earlier this year so I won’t do it here. It’s available on footywire.

Here is Steele’s 2021 season averages versus Cripps season averages in 2021.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... fopt2=2021

Oh…and if that’s not sufficient. How about stats for both career wise. Pleb!

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C :shock: Revealing isn’t it

Maybe if Rossy wasn’t so fixated on defence, then possibly some of our more creative midfielders in our team could help us score more goals

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 4:53pm It’s funny

If they were shooting the lights out, you’d be crediting the coach

But alas, if they are struggling

It is form?!

Maybe players were just out of form under other coaches?

Personally
I don’t believe in form, I believe in working hard, and playing each game as a separate situation. If you play poorly it’s to do with work ethic and decision making
So it’s not coaching then?
Glad that’s sorted you stop bashing Lyon now

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 4:54pm :lol:
Teflon wrote: Wed 09 Aug 2023 8:37am

**** all
Keep up
You said he wasn’t like Cripps… didn’t you Mr Football? You obviously think Cripps is more creative.

You think that simply because you write down a bunch of words that they actually have any truth or carry any weight. Your words are just an opinion from a pleb. Maybe your memory is faded, but the last full year that Steele had injury free was 2021.

You said he is like Brad Crouch. Brad is certainly having an amazing year this year. Try comparing Steele’s 2021 year with Brad’s stats for this year. Steele has double Brad’s average for goals and dominates in most areas (that perhaps would be construed as being creative) including inside 50 entries, marks i50, and Frees for. I’ve already gone through this earlier this year so I won’t do it here. It’s available on footywire.

Here is Steele’s 2021 season averages versus Cripps season averages in 2021.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... fopt2=2021

Oh…and if that’s not sufficient. How about stats for both career wise. Pleb!

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=C&fid2=C :shock: Revealing isn’t it

Maybe if Rossy wasn’t so fixated on defence, then possibly some of our more creative midfielders in our team could help us score more goals
Again
Brownlow votes don’t prove creativity
You’re reaching
And it’s Mrs Football to you I am actually female if you care to notice

“Yeah….nah””