Ok experts how do we beat the pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ok experts how do we beat the pies

B.M wrote: Wed 12 Apr 2023 9:08pm Is Dougal Howard SA?
He’s from the Riverina, but was drafted to Port

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re how to beat the Pies…

We know that Lyon maintains his structure almost at all costs. So I don’t expect to see a lot of man on man defending. Windhager has gone to specific opponents in past games, so I expect him to do this again. Perhaps to De Goey: I doubt that it will be to Nick Daicos. But only Windy: everyone else will play zone.

Membrey to come in: either as sub or in place of Phillipou (who becomes the sub).

I think Ross will go with changing almost nothing and trying to provide more of the same from Rounds 1-4. And I think this is very much the right way to go.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saintmike65
Club Player

diddley wrote: Wed 12 Apr 2023 8:56pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 12 Apr 2023 2:29pm
How about picking Tom Highmore this week!

Why my brilliant Shane?

Because he is keen and firing, and mostly because we will have an all-SA back line playing in front of their own - proving a point !
The only issue with your plan here is, that Tom Highmore is from Canberra, not SA. He played 1 year in the SANFL, and was drafted from there. He only went there for better exposure, with the hope to get drafted. It worked.

Either way, don’t put Highmore in. Don’t change the backline. It’s the best backline in the league. Don’t mess with it.

There’s a lot of love for Highmore it seems..highly likely he won’t be on the list at seasons end.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The zone defense we have been playing, and Marshall dropping into the forward line to act as tall forward when not rucking.

Their Achilles heel is the same as the Suns was last week - no ruckman.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Rubyjo
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 13 Apr 2023 8:32am
diddley wrote: Wed 12 Apr 2023 8:56pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 12 Apr 2023 2:29pm
How about picking Tom Highmore this week!

Why my brilliant Shane?

Because he is keen and firing, and mostly because we will have an all-SA back line playing in front of their own - proving a point !
The only issue with your plan here is, that Tom Highmore is from Canberra, not SA. He played 1 year in the SANFL, and was drafted from there. He only went there for better exposure, with the hope to get drafted. It worked.

Either way, don’t put Highmore in. Don’t change the backline. It’s the best backline in the league. Don’t mess with it.

There’s a lot of love for Highmore it seems..highly likely he won’t be on the list at seasons end.
Highmore is the new Sharman.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

One thing for sure

Collingwood are alive and awake to idea that they have no recognizable Ruckman and that their strategy last week to cover that didn’t work

So we can expect them to have a new set of plans

We must keep doing what we are doing, despite the pressure and the prospect of a muddy and soggy ground which might be an ankle masher

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

One thing for sure

Collingwood are alive and awake to idea that they have no recognizable Ruckman and that their strategy last week to cover that didn’t work

So we can expect them to have a new set of plans

We must keep doing what we are doing, despite the pressure and the prospect of a muddy and soggy ground which might be an ankle masher

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!