Round 2 Side

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 2 Side

Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Mar 2023 6:54pm I've got a feeling the win against Freo will say more about them and how poorly they played.

Freo stuffed up a lot especially when they got on the outside and their F50 entries.

I think the Dogs will open us up this week, hopefully it isn't ugly.
The reality is we are probably missing nine of our starting 22, or 8 of our best on field 18, but at least it will mean that we as a club are going to get a good look at all of the players on the list. As RL said, all of the players currently in the senior side have done a full preseason and are match fit. So, the way I see it, it is a great opportunity for those players to start playing seniors straight after completing their first or second preseason, rather than going back to the reserves for half a season at least.

I don't know anything about human physiology or sports science or any of that, but I think it is going to be terribly hard for players listed as being more than six weeks away at this stage to come back and make a meaningful impact this season now. That goes double for those who were injured before doing much of a pre season. They could come in mid season and reinjure themselves again.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 25 Mar 2023 10:30am
Vortex wrote: Fri 24 Mar 2023 6:54pm I've got a feeling the win against Freo will say more about them and how poorly they played.

Freo stuffed up a lot especially when they got on the outside and their F50 entries.

The reality is we are probably missing nine of our starting 22, or 8 of our best on field 18, but at least it will mean that we as a club are going to get a good look at all of the players on the list. As RL said, all of the players currently in the senior side have done a full preseason and are match fit. So, the way I see it, it is a great opportunity for those players to start playing seniors straight after completing their first or second preseason, rather than going back to the reserves for half a season at least.

I don't know anything about human physiology or sports science or any of that, but I think it is going to be terribly hard for players listed as being more than six weeks away at this stage to come back and make a meaningful impact this season now. That goes double for those who were injured before doing much of a pre season. They could come in mid season and reinjure themselves again.
What I'll be looking for tonight irrespective of the result, is for Byrnes to back up his performance from last week which will amount for zero if he puts in a shocker tonight.

I'll also be looking for Carminati to get involved in the game and show a little, he was ok last week in terms of he didn't embarrass himself as he would have been like most debutants and would have been nervous as hell but needs to really crack in and put some more savings in the bank this week.

Be also looking at NAS closely, he was ok (ish) last week but needs to grow in confidence and keep improving.

Hopefully Windy's hand is good enough to allow him to hit the deck running when he comes on.

And finally I'll be all eyes for Mattaes as will everyone else, what our club really needs is for him to look at the likes as Daicos and Ashcroft and believe he can match them, if we get a player like those two then our list development finally gets a really boost with some steroids. I was drooling watching Ashcroft last night, I want Mattaes to make me drool.

But Byrnes is my big watch tonight, if he puts in a shocker I will spew up.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

nine?
definitely - king, membrey, windhager ...

then billings - probably, at who's expense? coffield - on 21 form definitely, but... hayes - not enough games to judge, jones - inconsistent and expendable, mackenzie - possibly, webster - paton on par.
aside from the top three and coffield if he can be resurrected, i'd be happy with the rest as depth - continue to play our youth and rest as needed.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 24 Mar 2023 4:19pm Is sub announced only just before the ball is bounced?
One hour before the bounce

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sat 25 Mar 2023 10:52am nine?
definitely - king, membrey, windhager ...

then billings - probably, at who's expense? coffield - on 21 form definitely, but... hayes - not enough games to judge, jones - inconsistent and expendable, mackenzie - possibly, webster - paton on par.
aside from the top three and coffield if he can be resurrected, i'd be happy with the rest as depth - continue to play our youth and rest as needed.
Agree with your points except of course that we now don't have the option to play any of those players you have mentioned. And I think for all of them bar a couple, we probably won't see them play this season. That is a long time for first or second year players to have to front up every week.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sadly agree

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 25 Mar 2023 4:10pm

Sadly agree
just want to see how a few of our 2nd year players have a go, want to see them be the ones that are the most competitive, definitely want to see Byrnes back up from last week. Caminiti getting involved would also make me content.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 25 Mar 2023 4:38pm

Sadly agree
just want to see how a few of our 2nd year players have a go, want to see them be the ones that are the most competitive, definitely want to see Byrnes back up from last week. Caminiti getting involved would also make me content.
I agree Caminiti was ok last week - no better than Sharman IMO so he’ll need to impact a little more
I’d like to see our mids really stand up this gane they pants us often here
Score will be tough and hope Marshall can back up
A loss by less than 5 goals abd I’m happy
If we leak like we did under Brett to 112 points level ….not so much
Can we at least bring the effort 2 weeks in a row?
I thought we tried hard last week but I felt Freo were really ordinary…Fyfe looked old.

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 25 Mar 2023 5:23pm

Sadly agree
I agree Caminiti was ok last week - no better than Sharman IMO so he’ll need to impact a little more
I thought we tried hard last week but I felt Freo were really ordinary…Fyfe looked old.
Definitely no better than Sharman. Just wish we wouldn't give 2 year contracts to these highly speculative types, don't know why we do that.
The Dogs mids on paper carve us up so that's where we need to completely strong arm them to get almost double F50 entries, pipe dream aye...but strange things happen.
Can we bring effort 2 weeks in a row?...isn't that why we have the master coach?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 25 Mar 2023 5:29pm

Sadly agree
Definitely no better than Sharman. Just wish we wouldn't give 2 year contracts to these highly speculative types, don't know why we do that.
The Dogs mids on paper carve us up so that's where we need to completely strong arm them to get almost double F50 entries, pipe dream aye...but strange things happen.
Can we bring effort 2 weeks in a row?...isn't that why we have the master coach?
A blow out would be interesting…still early days but they definitely defensively looked far better last week
But Freo in Melb was hard to gauge

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 25 Mar 2023 5:31pm

Sadly agree
A blow out would be interesting…still early days but they definitely defensively looked far better last week
But Freo in Melb was hard to gauge
totally agree

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Could you two just have this convo from the same couch. 😉

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 23 Mar 2023 8:56pm Easy win coming up
As soon as vortex sold us short I knew we were in And as far as Caminiti is concerned, I knew he was gonna be a ripper all along and said it so many times before hand

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sadly agree
This is exactly why we have the master coach
Your snide digs are becoming tiresome.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

"Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Post by Teflon » Sat 25 Mar 4:10 pm

Vortex wrote: ↑Fri 24 Mar 6:54 pm
I've got a feeling the win against Freo will say more about them and how poorly they played.

Sadly agree"

:D :) :lol: 8-) :wink:

Oh, ye of little faith.