TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Killa
Club Player

Re: TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

IIRC, we came back against Collingwood in Round 1 (Hayes kicking goals) to hit the front but got outlasted

Collingwood’s form was confirmed as 2022 evolved

From there we went 8-2, beating the eventual Premiers in the process (at Docklands)

To me we came under pressure from Ryder’s suspension v Hawthorn then his Achilles problems along with other injuries

We just did not have the depth to cover what we were confronted with

Which is why the development of our youth, starting with Heath and Adams is of such importance

Not all of these kids will be hits, because that is the history at all Clubs, but we need our share to impact on the competition

I note the lad who has pulled up stumps with Adelaide is from Sandringham - and is returning home

He may be worth keeping an eye on in respect of what he does next

He has some size and given where he was Drafted, some ability at least

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 11 Jan 2023 2:21pm
Cordy has presented in terrible condition - he needs to be held accountable by the leadership group
For a senior player and recruit- disgrace!
Fully agree.

At the session I went to pre-Christmas Cordy was way off the pace fitness wise from ALL other players. Was unbelievably bad. I think that his 3 year deal has made him too cosy and he does not at this stage appear hungry enough to be a first 23 player.

He should be working his arse of to impress, but instead he is not just at the back of the back fitness wise, he is way off the pack.

At 26 he should be in his prime physically.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintmike65
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 12:58am
Cordy has presented in terrible condition - he needs to be held accountable by the leadership group
Fully agree.

At the session I went to pre-Christmas Cordy was way off the pace fitness wise from ALL other players. Was unbelievably bad. I think that his 3 year deal has made him too cosy and he does not at this stage appear hungry enough to be a first 23 player.

He should be working his arse of to impress, but instead he is not just at the back of the back fitness wise, he is way off the pack.

That would’ve been the session I went to, repeat 400 metre runs saw Cordy not only consistently last but trailed by a good 50 metres!
One run he gave up & didn’t finish..I was appalled, so imagine how the boss felt!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 9:06am
Fully agree.

That would’ve been the session I went to, repeat 400 metre runs saw Cordy not only consistently last but trailed by a good 50 metres!
One run he gave up & didn’t finish..I was appalled, so imagine how the boss felt!
Maybe he's currently looking at real estate around Sandringham huh?

realdeal
Club Player

Could anyone let us know when the next open training is on? Is it this Friday or next week?

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 1:07pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 8:37am
Saintmike65 wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 8:28am

Also strategic set ups for centre bounces which I didn’t see last year.

Can you put some meat on the bone?

Can you describe the comparison in strategies? What does RLs CB set-ups look ike and how do they compare to Ratts?

You say you didn't see Ratts employ any CB set-ups it, so it would fascinating to know specifics and why you think the set-ups will perform better? Do you see similarities to other teams CB set-ups?
I’m talking about centre bounce drills, whereby mids practice reading the ruckman’s taps & forming a synergy between each midfielder.
I didn’t see this under Ratten & McGlynn but Lenny & BJ run this every week.
If you guys get a chance, come down to training & see for yourselves, reckon you’ll like what you see!!
Interesting points you make Saintmike:

Out league stats rankings from season 2022...
Clearances: 15th
Rebound from defensive 50: 14th
Contested Possession: 13th
Goals: 15th
1% ers: 14th
Tackles: 14th

These stats are poorer if you look at them head to head verses our direct opponents.

on the flip side...
Uncontested possession: 8th
Kicks: 5th

Obviously the extra emphasis on centre bounce and clearance work is desperately needed based on the 2022 results.

Will be interesting to see who ends up in the back half as rebound players, obviously NWM looks an early candidate, along with Sincs and possibly???

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Interesting article on Saints.com

McKenzie, Billings, Gresh, Battle, Hayes and Adams back to full training

Coffield, Campbell, Jones and Keeler on modified programs with slight boggles affecting their return to full trainin. Progressing well
Coffield apparently had a hamstring strain that required light surgery sometime in December

King progressing as expected
Hotton out for a while with stress fractures in the back. Looking like a longer lay off due to getting the recovery right to ensure it doesn’t reoccur

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Fully agree.

It says a lot about our forward scouting of listed players. Surely if we are interested in a player from another club we watch their training and get a feel of their application etc. Im yet to be convinced he will be an upgrade on Darragh Joyce.

Cordy's signing has all the signs of a desperate list manager trying to get someone/anyone through the door to save his job?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Early call but you could be right.

Saintmike65
Club Player

realdeal wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 9:46am Could anyone let us know when the next open training is on? Is it this Friday or next week?
At this stage all training is open to the public..Monday, Wednesday & Friday around 9.30.
Main training days tend to be Monday and Friday.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

As far as Cordy goes, let him languish at Sandy if he wants to waste an opportunity. If he does wake up to himself then he will be better than Joyce. In the meantime give those who seek improvement an opportunity, they are where we will improve as a list and a club.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Fully agree.

So the guy signs a 3 year deal after not being a walk up best 22 at WB and shows up in poor condition?

Perhaps he is just a poor runner?
Did he come on an injury?

Sounds like he would not have endeared himself to the senior players or the coaching group.

Lenny, Banger, BJ and Enright would probably all still take him comfortably in running drills.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Can we at least give Cordy to the middle of the season to prove his worth?

If he hasn't improved by then .......

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Saintmike65
Club Player

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 12 Jan 2023 12:06pm
Saintmike65 wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 1:07pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 8:37am
Saintmike65 wrote: Tue 10 Jan 2023 8:28am

Also strategic set ups for centre bounces which I didn’t see last year.

Can you put some meat on the bone?

Can you describe the comparison in strategies? What does RLs CB set-ups look ike and how do they compare to Ratts?

You say you didn't see Ratts employ any CB set-ups it, so it would fascinating to know specifics and why you think the set-ups will perform better? Do you see similarities to other teams CB set-ups?
I’m talking about centre bounce drills, whereby mids practice reading the ruckman’s taps & forming a synergy between each midfielder.
I didn’t see this under Ratten & McGlynn but Lenny & BJ run this every week.
If you guys get a chance, come down to training & see for yourselves, reckon you’ll like what you see!!
Interesting points you make Saintmike:

Out league stats rankings from season 2022...
Clearances: 15th
Rebound from defensive 50: 14th
Contested Possession: 13th
Goals: 15th
1% ers: 14th
Tackles: 14th

These stats are poorer if you look at them head to head verses our direct opponents.

on the flip side...
Uncontested possession: 8th
Kicks: 5th

Obviously the extra emphasis on centre bounce and clearance work is desperately needed based on the 2022 results.

Will be interesting to see who ends up in the back half as rebound players, obviously NWM looks an early candidate, along with Sincs and possibly???
If you look at those stats D.B, the positive is we’re coming from a low base yet only just missed out on finals..quite extraordinary!
I’ve tipped us to win 13 games with a decent percentage..I honestly believe we’ll surprise a lot of scribes this season…time will tell!!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 12:35am Can we at least give Cordy to the middle of the season to prove his worth?

January is when we sought all this out, it's the month for claiming kids who have never played a game remind us of Bontemplelli and players who have played in a premiership should languish at Sandy permanently.

We should strike some awards:

An award for the kid who hasn't debuted yet but has been anointed best 23, we can call this the Sharman award.

An award for the player who has played 200 games and won multiple club B&Fs but has been anointed backup player at Sandy, we can call this the Sebby Award.

Just need a voting system now

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Is there any precedent to end a contract early if the player is not fully committed to training? I wonder what the AFLPA's stance would be.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 8:42am An award for the kid who hasn't debuted yet but has been anointed best 23, we can call this the Sharman award.
I think the award for someone who plays 4 good games in a row. It can be called the Sharman-Koschitzke award. (With all due respect to Kosi).

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 8:42am
Devilhead wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 12:35am Can we at least give Cordy to the middle of the season to prove his worth?

January is when we sought all this out, it's the month for claiming kids who have never played a game remind us of Bontemplelli and players who have played in a premiership should languish at Sandy permanently.

An award for the kid who hasn't debuted yet but has been anointed best 23, we can call this the Sharman award.

An award for the player who has played 200 games and won multiple club B&Fs but has been anointed backup player at Sandy, we can call this the Sebby Award.
Only by posters who know SFA about footballers and what it takes to win a best and fairest.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Every preseason seems to be full of promise and expectations of improvements and changes to come. I remember last season the Saints looked full of run in the preseason games and observers were saying how fit the group looked. Here we go again.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 9:26am
Vortex wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 8:42am An award for the kid who hasn't debuted yet but has been anointed best 23, we can call this the Sharman award.
I think the award for someone who plays 4 good games in a row. It can be called the Sharman-Koschitzke award. (With all due respect to Kosi).

He'd probably have a laugh at what you just wrote...but how dare you try and stain the career of one of our best players... seriously...you think someone lasts that long if they're sh!t

Kosi is a 200 game great of our football club. An integral part of the team and a contributor in Grand Finals

Kosi was a fan favourite for a reason. At his best he was a match winner and a huge part of our most recent successful era of finals

He was a star of the whole competition prior to his head injury. Undervalued by people who have nfi

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 9:24am Is there any precedent to end a contract early if the player is not fully committed to training? I wonder what the AFLPA's stance would be.
Yep, it's called the Lovett clause.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Any reports from today?

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Matt Allison has improved 200%. Will know when the practice matches start mid to late Feb. And early info- will be at Moorabbin Friday evenings

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 8:42am

Just need a voting system now
Post deleted by responsible poster in the interest of board sanity.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 2:41pm Matt Allison has improved 200%. Will know when the practice matches start mid to late Feb. And early info- will be at Moorabbin Friday evenings
Awesome Tony thank you
I had heard he was cracking in big time like he’s realising it’s time to step up
Good to hear re practice games also
Cheers

“Yeah….nah””