Sydney Stack ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Templar
Club Player

Re: Sydney Stack ?

The Stack "indiscretions" come across as a beat up. Actually looks like a good kid.

So he got into a dancing one on one brief fist fight with some other kid and got videoed. Virtually a non event. And who knows the actual scenario. Havent seen any reports of drug prob.

(How about the now senior AFL coach caught on video outside the prince of wales when he king hit a staggering bloke from behind. Looked 10 times worse. Club captain at the time no less. All was forgiven by most all and sundry pretty quick. Was a total dog act.)

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 4:03am The Stack "indiscretions" come across as a beat up. Actually looks like a good kid.

So he got into a dancing one on one brief fist fight with some other kid and got videoed. Virtually a non event. And who knows the actual scenario. Havent seen any reports of drug prob.

(How about the now senior AFL coach caught on video outside the prince of wales when he king hit a staggering bloke from behind. Looked 10 times worse. Club captain at the time no less. All was forgiven by most all and sundry pretty quick. Was a total dog act.)
I can't agree more. We should be aiming to fill every spot and get the list compliment back to pre pandemic numbers and then keep turning it over rapidly and ruthlessly.

Also players like Bytel, he should have already been told this is his last year on the list unless be establishes himself as a premiership type player.

It's now the era of uncompromising brutality.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 7:53am
Templar wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 4:03am The Stack "indiscretions" come across as a beat up. Actually looks like a good kid.

I can't agree more. We should be aiming to fill every spot and get the list compliment back to pre pandemic numbers and then keep turning it over rapidly and ruthlessly.

Also players like Bytel, he should have already been told this is his last year on the list unless be establishes himself as a premiership type player.

I’m pretty sure Bytel is more than aware his career is on the line..they left him out of contract until after the trade period then only gave him a year!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 8:33am

I’m pretty sure Bytel is more than aware his career is on the line..they left him out of contract until after the trade period then only gave him a year!
It's area where I'd like to see our new ruthlessness and and uncompromising standards applied the hardest, no more having players on the list for 5 to 7 years without proving you are a premiership type. 2 years max for new recruits.

And for players like Stack who have have been in the AFL for multiple years, 12 months maximum and then your cut if you don't make it straight away.

If our strategy for list building is going to be via the draft then 2 years tops and out the door if you can't prove you can play the last 2 weeks of September in that time.

No more project players

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 8:46am

It's area where I'd like to see our new ruthlessness and and uncompromising standards applied the hardest, no more having players on the list for 5 to 7 years without proving you are a premiership type. 2 years max for new recruits.

And for players like Stack who have have been in the AFL for multiple years, 12 months maximum and then your cut if you don't make it straight away.

If our strategy for list building is going to be via the draft then 2 years tops and out the door if you can't prove you can play the last 2 weeks of September in that time.

No more project players
I heard you the first time.

older saint
SS Life Member

Warning lights on this one to me.
Players where talent isn't the question players let go by a currently successful club (who therefore have a greater ability to carry a talented non committed player) is a big red flag.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 8:45am

No more project players

Tough to put a definitive time line players worth..DMac for example took 6 years or so to become an AFL standard player..they do tend to mature at different rates!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Stack is a soup sandwich with an attitude. Apparently he would complain bitterly to Hardwick whenever he wasn’t selected.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

older saint wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 11:18am Warning lights on this one to me.
Players where talent isn't the question players let go by a currently successful club (who therefore have a greater ability to carry a talented non committed player) is a big red flag.
Agree. The only thing I would say is that usually they do grow up a bit around 24-26.
Look at Dusty Martin...just held it together long enough, same with Buddy.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
ace
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 10 Dec 2022 3:26pm
Saints58 wrote: Sat 10 Dec 2022 1:23pm If we have only 2 list spots and ask stack to train does that mean we would probably cut the 198cm Aye from Essendon who we asked to train and retain stocker and stack or is there any way we could keep all 3 of them?
Yep. If they put King on the long term injury list
But then King can't come back mid season unless someone else can go on the long term injured list in his place.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
happy feet
Club Player

No more project players
What an idiotic statement. I’m glad you have nothing to do with the Club. On the basis of your 2 year rule we can kiss goodbye developing any young ruckmen who typically take longer to develop. On the basis of your rules it’s goodbye Max Heath.

I think you may be suited more to be an Essendon supporter, so off you go, you will not be missed.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Killa
Club Player

Drafted at 18 years of age, from the under age Competition and relocating (in some instances) from their homes in a different State

And de-listed at age 20

Makes sense, noting that sense is in short supply from some on this forum

So players such as Steele and Membrey who came to St Kilda seeking opportunity should not have been recruited because they were not “stars” at GWS and Sydney respectively

And we would not have Sinclair on our List - because he took over 2 years to establish at the level

Given this “ruthless” approach promoted, with players moved on after 2 years, exactly what would the List look like?

And what would the culture of the Club be?

The AFL competition is brutal - look at those delisted at all Clubs (before you look at Coaches being sacked)

And then you get those moving on to seek greater opportunity

Arbitrary does not work

That is not to say you do not seek to improve your List because all Clubs seek to improve their Lists, by drafting and recruiting

Hence players being de-listed

So how many players do you de-list at any one time?

And who do you replace them with?

Draft Pick 101?

There are 18 sides in the Competition

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Thu 15 Dec 2022 9:48pm

No more project players
What an idiotic statement. I’m glad you have nothing to do with the Club. On the basis of your 2 year rule we can kiss goodbye developing any young ruckmen who typically take longer to develop. On the basis of your rules it’s goodbye Max Heath.

I think you may be suited more to be an Essendon supporter, so off you go, you will not be missed.
He’s adding Stack I think after sacking Cooper Sharman after 7 games
Your quite brilliant Vort..

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

No more project players

It's an old cliche thrown out a lot as an excuse for the spud ruckman, have a look at the elite ruckman in the comp, they didn't take 5 to 7 years to develop.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Our indiscretion will be not to recruit him.

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 8:05am

No more project players

It's an old cliche thrown out a lot as an excuse for the spud ruckman, have a look at the elite ruckman in the comp, they didn't take 5 to 7 years to develop.
Name them, time to put up or shut up. Also analyse our list and present us with the names of the players tat would have been cut under your 2 year rule. Look back a few posts, Teffers has done some of the work for you.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 8:13am

No more project players

Name them, time to put up or shut up. Also analyse our list and present us with the names of the players tat would have been cut under your 2 year rule. Look back a few posts, Teffers has done some of the work for you.
Bytel
Byrnes
Heath
Allison
Peris
Connolly

No more project players.

Under my one year rule Sharman and Campbell would be cut

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 8:05am It's an old cliche thrown out a lot as an excuse for the spud ruckman, have a look at the elite ruckman in the comp, they didn't take 5 to 7 years to develop.
Max Gawn was drafted in 2009 (pick 34). He didn't establish himself in the Melbourne team until half way through 2015. That's smack bang in the middle of the 5-7 year window!
Dean Cox was a drafted in 2000 as a 19yo rookie and not getting a game until Gardiner got injured. In 2005, he became the dominant ruckman for West Coast. Again in the 5-7 year window.
Grundy established himself as a dominant ruckman in 4 years.
We drafted Marshall as a 22yo mature age rookie after plying his trade in the VFL. It took two years on the list to become a genuine ruckman.

I could go on, but who has the time?

There are a few exceptions...Nic Nat is an athletic freak, but it took him a long time to resemble a natural footballer that could read the play like he can now.

wally
Club Player

Development is aligned to opportunity Marshall only got a game because he was last man standing and took the opportunity and had a go, Grundy same at Collingwood,some aren’t able to impose themselves straight off

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 8:32am

No more project players

Bytel
Byrnes
Heath
Allison
Peris
Connolly

No more project players.

Oh FFS I f you are going to bag young players, at least get it right.

Peris has only been on the list for one season.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 8:46am
Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 8:05am It's an old cliche thrown out a lot as an excuse for the spud ruckman, have a look at the elite ruckman in the comp, they didn't take 5 to 7 years to develop.
Max Gawn was drafted in 2009 (pick 34). He didn't establish himself in the Melbourne team until half way through 2015. That's smack bang in the middle of the 5-7 year window!
Dean Cox was a drafted in 2000 as a 19yo rookie and not getting a game until Gardiner got injured. In 2005, he became the dominant ruckman for West Coast. Again in the 5-7 year window.
We drafted Marshall as a 22yo mature age rookie after plying his trade in the VFL. It took two years on the list to become a genuine ruckman.

There are a few exceptions...Nic Nat is an athletic freak, but it took him a long time to resemble a natural footballer that could read the play like he can now.
Clearly you don't have the time, if you did you would turn up a few more names that proved they could make it within 2 years.

5 to 7 years on a list to prove you can make it is too long.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 9:46am
Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 16 Dec 2022 8:46am

Clearly you don't have the time, if you did you would turn up a few more names that proved they could make it within 2 years.

5 to 7 years on a list to prove you can make it is too long.
There are many that didn't make it.
There are not many ruckmen that proved they could make it inside 2 years.
You want another elite ruckmen that took longer than 2 years? Jarrod Witts.
That's Gawn, Grundy, and Witts...Probably the three best in the league.

In fact, let me turn this around. With the exception of West Coast, name one team whose starting ruckman made it to that position inside 2 years.

happy feet
Club Player

No more project players

Bytel
Byrnes
Heath
Allison
Peris
Connolly

No more project players.

You are not getting off that easy. Name for me the successful rucks that have developed to a premiership quality player in 2 years.

Also while you are at it pleas justify where the replacement players are coming from.

happy feet
Club Player

No more project players

Bytel
Byrnes
Heath
Allison
Peris
Connolly

No more project players.

You are not getting off that easy. Name for me the successful rucks that have developed to a premiership quality player in 2 years.

Also while you are at it pleas justify where the replacement players are coming from.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Like many debates, the correct answer is usually somewhere towards the middle.

I understand what Vortex is trying to say but he’s chosen just a horrible list of examples that have IMO muddied his post.

100% there are a lot of players on the list that show promise but dont establish themselves in 2 years that need more time.
The listed players like Coops, Bytel, Byrnes, Connolly isn’t necessarily where I’d swing the axe immediately as all have shown a bit of promise… and let’s face it amongst the player that took more than two years to make, the names Armitage, Steven, Goddard, Montagna, McEvoy all come to mind.

I don’t remember Marshall exactly kicking the door down too early either… only got a good shot at it after the 3 rucks ahead of him all went down.

Alternatively however, there are a number of players in recent times that many forumites could see after a few games or a season or two that weren’t up to it but stayed on the list for 5+ years.

I mean Darragh Joyce stayed on our list for 7 years despite being incapable of punching from behind and to the day he was delisted had his supporters on here. IMO one of the worst long term players to hang around for so long… never got close to it.

Dean Kent is another… quite literally played the role of a space finding finisher that was too slow to find space, and missed more shots then he kicked. Absolutely embarrassing that he got extended after his mediocre first term ended… yet he was inexplicably selected in rd 1 to be given one more opportunity to lose us a critical game with just his usual ineptitude under pressure… harsh I know but any objective person looking at performance could see he wasn’t up to it.

Dunstan, Newnes, Longer and Weller to a lesser degree are all names that come to mind as 5+ year players that were largely terrible for the majority of their runs despite the odd good moment.

So again… yeah need to be more decisive but yes… need to do it right.