Is Billings a part of the club’s future?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

Re: Is Billings a part of the club’s future?

Didn't miss Billings tonight ..time to move him along whilst the media think he is a star ...

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I thought we did miss him

Who else got 20 across HF?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Didn't miss alot of things tonight, unless we count our ability to miss targets, run under the ball, miss tackles and effective inside 50's.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

We would not get a decent trade for him better off keeping him IMO

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think he has lost so much value he’ll be in a Ross situation..unless he retires due to injury …he could stay with the Saints and have a Mason Wood like career….
Otherwise, start wearing sunglasses like Mason Cox and develop a niche.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think he has lost so much value he’ll be in a Ross situation..unless he retires due to injury …he could stay with the Saints and have a Mason Wood like career….

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 30 Jul 2022 9:37pm I think he has lost so much value he’ll be in a Ross situation..unless he retires due to injury …he could stay with the Saints and have a Mason Wood like career….
Who the f*** said Seb wanted to be traded and there were no takers ?

I am sick of bulls*** being peddled on this forum peddled as fact. :roll:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Seb was last years whipping boy

He’s made MOST posters on here look stupid!!! And they would not admit the crap they peddled pre season either

Now it’s JBs turn

I look at the numbers, the evidence

Not some dickheads opinion that has no idea

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 30 Jul 2022 9:27pm I thought we did miss him

Who else got 20 across HF?
Who cares about 'possessions' if they are meaningless.

Some players get 20 possessions and cough up the footy or turn it over for half of those possessions

I don't rate possessions and cheap handball receives if it means the player hasn't directly assisted in a scoring chain or clearing the back half

I rate 20 possessions if some or most are contested. Did they inspire their team mates?

Have they fulfilled their role and have they done the 1%ers? Have they brought their team mates into the game or rattled the opposition?

Did they work hard? Did they stick a few tackles or take contested marks to win those possessions?
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 31 Jul 2022 5:42am, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Possessions are what footy is about - if you have the footy - the opposition does not

Would you really rather a 5-10 possession game from a HF over a 20-25?

Why do you thin Zac Jones was highlighted and dropped?!

Not enough of the ball

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Also

What half forward wins a lot of contested possessions and take contested marks???

Not really a part of the job description

JB is NOT an inside mid
He is not a key forward
He is not a running back

Understand the role

BTW
He is a very good mark for a 6 footer

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

double post
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 31 Jul 2022 6:55am, edited 1 time in total.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 5:23am Possessions are what footy is about - if you have the footy - the opposition does not

Not enough of the ball
You mentioned Jones and why he got dropped. Can you tell us why Billings got dropped for Mitch Owens even though he got 21 possessions against Adelaide or why Billings had to play 3 or 4 games at Sandringham before Ratts put him back in? If you don't believe that he got dropped for Owens...here's the link

https://www.afl.com.au/news/768241/team ... -tall-call

Like I said...20 possessions sounds good, but what's the context? What happened with those possessions and how were they earned?

He needs to put in a huge preseason like he did at the end of 2018. JB had one of his best years in 2019. He is yet to emulate that form.

The last 2 years he coughs it up when he gets tackled and doesn't fight hard enough to retain possession. He dishes the football off too early when there is heat and his handballs or kicks are turnovers.
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 31 Jul 2022 7:32am, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Billings is struggling

Coming back from a long term injury and having zero preseason

His season never really got started.

If you think he’s soft - maybe check out a mark he took running with the flight of the ball vs Geelong

He is an outside HF/Winger - do you expect him to be a contested beast like Jack Steele

Does NWM and Brad Hill or even Sinclair play bruise free footy - because their contested numbers are really low?!

Just have a think about his role

B.M
Saintsational Legend

BTW

How long did Billings spend out of the team and how long was Owens in the team?

I can’t recall

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

This thread isn't about an 18 year old kid who has played 5 games

Why did Billings get dropped after getting 20 possessions?

Saints58
Club Player

NO

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 7:34am BTW

How long did Billings spend out of the team and how long was Owens in the team?

I can’t recall
Owens got injured didn’t he?? Concussion against Brisbane I thought.

Ross hasn’t made anyone look stupid. He was making himself look stupid by constantly turning the ball over and being an ineffective AFL player. This year he is playing far better footy, the best in years for him.

I laugh at the excuses you make for Billings. There is always an excuse for him it appears. For a 10 year player or thereabouts, he’s disappointing. I look at Luke Bruests career and Billings and know which player I’d prefer. The one who impacts in big moments, who nails the set shots. Sure, bruest was quiet yesterday, but as you rightfully have stated, it’s a difficult position to impact every week. Getting 20 possessions isn’t impacting unless you’re part of scoring chains

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 6:54am
B.M wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 5:23am Possessions are what footy is about - if you have the footy - the opposition does not

Not enough of the ball
You mentioned Jones and why he got dropped. Can you tell us why Billings got dropped for Mitch Owens even though he got 21 possessions against Adelaide or why Billings had to play 3 or 4 games at Sandringham before Ratts put him back in? If you don't believe that he got dropped for Owens...here's the link

https://www.afl.com.au/news/768241/team ... -tall-call

Like I said...20 possessions sounds good, but what's the context? What happened with those possessions and how were they earned?

He needs to put in a huge preseason like he did at the end of 2018. JB had one of his best years in 2019. He is yet to emulate that form.

The last 2 years he coughs it up when he gets tackled and doesn't fight hard enough to retain possession. He dishes the football off too early when there is heat and his handballs or kicks are turnovers.
Billings didn't play "3 or 4" games at Sandringham. He played 2 before he was back in the firsts. You don't keep best 22 players like Billings running around in the 2nds for too long, usually a couple of weeks. Same happened with Hannerbery, 2 weeks with Sandi, then in. He also didn't get "21" disposals v Adelaide, he only got 12, probably why he was dropped, because possessions matter?

Billing's hasn't really been fully match fit since he tore his plantar fascia in a few weeks into 2021, he played on but probably should not have. Would have been better to miss games and get back to full fitness. Hamstring and back issues in 2022 have wrecked the year for him, might even be related to his 2021 injury.

You are right, needs a good preseason, get back to full match fitness, and Jack will be back. Saints need him.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

If the club are able to jag De Goey I'd be off-loading Billings to free up some cash, he signed a 4 year deal at the end of 2021. I'd then move Gresh out of the midfield into Billings HF position.

As a side note it's interesting the club gave Billings a 4 year deal last year and after Hanners showing us what we are missing yesterday it's time to free up some cash and throw a war chest at an elite midfielder.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 12:53pm If the club are able to jag De Goey I'd be off-loading Billings to free up some cash, he signed a 4 year deal at the end of 2021. I'd then move Gresh out of the midfield into Billings HF position.

As a side note it's interesting the club gave Billings a 4 year deal last year and after Hanners showing us what we are missing yesterday it's time to free up some cash and throw a war chest at an elite midfielder.
Not happening and the tigers are into De Goey anyway.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 1:01pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 12:53pm If the club are able to jag De Goey I'd be off-loading Billings to free up some cash, he signed a 4 year deal at the end of 2021. I'd then move Gresh out of the midfield into Billings HF position.

IMO you don't replace players like Billings, you add to the list and retain them.
The more class you have the harder it is for opposition players to cover a guy like Billings.
He is a guy that can get 20 possessions and kick a couple of goals from HF.

Billings is not A grade or elite, but he is a good to very good B grade AFL player who can be elite on his day.
If we trade him we'd probably get a mid second round pick.
Are we going to get better than Billings with that pick?

How did we go moving out McEvoy, Dal, Goddard & Stanley for picks?

Keep Billings, use our first round picks and go hard at FA when we can is what I would like to see happen.
Hannebery, Geary & Kent retiring should free up some FA cash.

I'd like to see Billings & Gresh playing that high half forward role with Gresh also having small runs at centre bounces as his impact clearance work is pretty good.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 1:12pm

IMO you don't replace players like Billings, you add to the list and retain them.
The more class you have the harder it is for opposition players to cover a guy like Billings.
He is a guy that can get 20 possessions and kick a couple of goals from HF.

Billings is not A grade or elite, but he is a good to very good B grade AFL player who can be elite on his day.
If we trade him we'd probably get a mid second round pick.
Are we going to get better than Billings with that pick?

How did we go moving out McEvoy, Dal, Goddard & Stanley for picks?

Keep Billings, use our first round picks and go hard at FA when we can is what I would like to see happen.
Hannebery, Geary & Kent retiring should free up some FA cash.

I'd like to see Billings & Gresh playing that high half forward role with Gresh also having small runs at centre bounces as his impact clearance work is pretty good.
Good sensible post.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

We may need to free up the cap so don't rule it out because he is the obvious choice to let go in that regard and it's a lot easier to replace a vanilla type player and right now the side is screaming out for some urgent needs that Billing will never be capable of providing.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

We may need to free up the cap so don't rule it out because he is the obvious choice to let go in that regard and it's a lot easier to replace a vanilla type player and right now the side is screaming out for some urgent needs that Billing will never be capable of providing.