Who is going to win the Brownlow.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who is going to win the Brownlow.

Sainter_Dad wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 11:30am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 11:23am
Dunstan polled the same amount of votes as Dusty.

The fact the bloke who (easily) polled second in our brownlow count can't even get offered a contract is laughable.
Hang on - do we definitively know he was NOT offered a contract

We assume that because at the start of the year he was told he would not be part of the future

Things change

Maybe he was offered 1 year - but wants 4

Also - if it is felt that He and Crouch play the same type of role and that we could perhaps get a different player for Dunstan then maybe that was the thinking

If you think that Dunstan is the equivalent of Dusty - I am afraid I do not share your opinion.

This is one area that a narrow vision is not a great tool - 5 great games - and then the rest shockers - does not assist in our quest for EXCELLENCE

Maybe the difference between his best and worst is greater than other players.
I don't think he is as good as Dusty, of course not.

But the poster above thinks Dusty is the best player since Leigh Matthews, and Dunstan is no good.

Just making the observation.

And I think the coaches made their stance at the start of the season and it's only been egg on their face since then, so now just like the Fonz they are unable to say they were wrong.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Wines IMO is a mediocre winner from a mediocre team.

Martin, Petracca, Bont, Neale, Oliver are players opposing teams spend a lot of time working out how to stop. Wines not so much IMO.

Infantry level.

Good luck to him. Seems like a nice guy. But…

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

There was a betting plunge on Wines around the start of finals

Must have been around the time that word was getting out…and I’d say there would have been some big money for Wines to have firmed into favouritism in front of Clayton Oliver, Marcus Bontempelli and others

Not sure if the AFL and other sports in Australia are water tight with security or integrity when it comes to betting

There’s a saying in the sharemarket and in betting circles that it’s wise to ‘follow the money’

I think Ollie let slip that his team mates had ‘jumped on board’. I told my Mrs that they certainly loaded up on him…but she reckons (naively) that he just meant that they were cheering for him to win!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 1:22pm There was a betting plunge on Wines around the start of finals

Must have been around the time that word was getting out…and I’d say there would have been some big money for Wines to have firmed into favouritism in front of Clayton Oliver, Marcus Bontempelli and others

Not sure if the AFL and other sports in Australia are water tight with security or integrity when it comes to betting

There’s a saying in the sharemarket and in betting circles that it’s wise to ‘follow the money’

I think Ollie let slip that his team mates had ‘jumped on board’. I told my Mrs that they said certainly loaded up on him…but she reckons (naively) that he just meant that they were cheering for him to win!
Woodward and Bernstein were told to "follow the money", led them to the Oval Office.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
B.M
Saintsational Legend

So Luke got the same amount of Votes as Dustin?! With 11!

How about Career
Luke 17
Dusty 202

Justin Koschitzke got 11 votes in 4 games

More than Reiwoldt got for that year!!!

Must mean he was a better player?!

Being good, means more than a 6 game stretch

Let’s not draw silly conclusions!!!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

tony74 wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 11:50pm
Toy Saint wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 11:19pm
axcellence wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 11:05pm
ausfatcat wrote: Sun 19 Sep 2021 11:00pm And we delisted our second placed person in the brownlow
Well… whoever he was, he didn’t make it to the B&F’s top 10!
It's pretty clear that Rattan's not a fan......a bit of a slur on our coaching staff really.
Doesn’t follow team rules.
What was bewildering was Sincs not polling a vote. Umpires usually appreciate silky skills.
That first sentence speaks volumes.
If everyone's on board and on the same page, it's easier to play well.

One glaring memory I have is when he was at half-back and took on 3 opponents, when there were about 3 saints nearby for a quick handpass, and he got pinged.
He had plenty of prior opp.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan was told he wouldn’t get a game this year because the club had just recruited Brad Crouch

They’re virtually the same player, except one kicks with his right and the other his left

I think Dunny got games because of injuries to Jones and Clark, and when Sebby decided to be with his wife and children. We had some poor form as a team and his outstanding games in the VFL pushed the selectors hand

Dunny deserved his spot in the team, but you can’t play 3 or 4 of the same types and Crouch, Steele and Ross were always going to be selected first.

Maybe with the knowledge that he wasn’t going to get another contract, it was better for the coach and assistant coaches to be focusing on the players that we were going to have to rely on in 2022

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s interesting to hear Ratts day he had a good month

But then in his last few games couldn’t get the job done?!

His raw numbers were fine, so I think it was about who his direct opponents were and how they played.

I remember 2 seasons ago, he seemed to have a good game (2 Brownlow votes) but was dropped for the next game (albeit a month or so later!)

That was maybe because Cunnington ran riot after half time?!!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The fact that we're not even giving a contract to a bloke who has polled brownlow votes in half the games he's played the last 2 years is a joke.

He has clearly not been given the same opportunity as others to earn his spot under Ratts, most obviously illustrated by them telling him he won't get a game this year no matter how well he goes in the 2s (they obviously didn't see the injuries coming!).

Seems like they made up their mind months ago and no amount of evidence will sway them, not a great look for our coaching staff!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If I was a forward and I saw Dunstan collect the ball about 80m out from goal I would just groan in the knowledge that there was only a 10% chance the kick would be to my advantage. For all the gripes about Brad Hill I'd be delighted with him delivering the ball, knowing that there'd be at least an 80% chance it would be to my advantage.

That's the main issue with Dunstan and it will never change. Racking up possessions is one thing, but making them count is another

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 3:40pm If I was a forward and I saw Dunstan collect the ball about 80m out from goal I would just groan in the knowledge that there was only a 10% chance the kick would be to my advantage. For all the gripes about Brad Hill I'd be delighted with him delivering the ball, knowing that there'd be at least an 80% chance it would be to my advantage.

That's the main issue with Dunstan and it will never change. Racking up possessions is one thing, but making them count is another
I totally agree with what you just said

Now…Can you…or anyone…please explain why Hill doesn’t line up on the wing or even in fact hasn’t been considered as a regular at centre square bounce?

Richmond use Shai Bolton and Shane Edwards and most teams have a fast break type who plays as an outside mid. They are invaluable around the middle or starting on the wing. We have tried Jack Billings at times, but I can’t recall Hill starting in the centre

We had Gresh and Jones injured for most of the year. Why is Hill starting in the backline if we all agree he’s one of the best players to deliver the footy inside 50?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 3:40pm If I was a forward and I saw Dunstan collect the ball about 80m out from goal I would just groan in the knowledge that there was only a 10% chance the kick would be to my advantage. For all the gripes about Brad Hill I'd be delighted with him delivering the ball, knowing that there'd be at least an 80% chance it would be to my advantage.

You could say the same for about 80% of our mids

saynta
Saintsational Legend

It's either keep playing Dunston and not Bytel thereby risking losing him

What would you do.?
Last edited by saynta on Mon 20 Sep 2021 8:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 2:45pm The fact that we're not even giving a contract to a bloke who has polled brownlow votes in half the games he's played the last 2 years is a joke.

Or at least try and trade before delisting

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 8:02pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 2:45pm The fact that we're not even giving a contract to a bloke who has polled brownlow votes in half the games he's played the last 2 years is a joke.

That's what the are doing.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 8:07pm

Haven't offered a contract so can just sign a delisted free agent

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 8:17pm
saynta wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 8:07pm

Haven't offered a contract so can just sign a delisted free agent
Correct.That's how the system works

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/20/ ... eated-him/

Seems like it’s pretty much as I suspected, the coaches had written him off before the first bounce of the season.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He wants to go to Essendon. He won't get a game there. He needs to be more realistic

B.M
Saintsational Legend

That’s a whack on the way out the door!!!

You could tell in post match interviews he was sour!!!

Not sure you’d see Seb dissing the club that he’s been at for 8 years!!!

Dunstan can f*** off to Essendon and play seconds there!!!

asiu
Saintsational Legend

that was a sad listen

good luck Dunny
+ thanx for your efforts

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

You can't blame him for being jacked off. Unfortunately his disposal was crap and he's probably about 10% off being a good midfielder.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Luke had plenty of opportunities over the journey. Poor kick, can hardly argue he is ahead of our other mids, can't play anywhere else, has let us down often in tight games, won't play to team rules. Bit rich to play the victim. Wants to be valued; what's 8 years and 116 games. Coaches are paid to have opinions on players not be blind to serious flaws. Good luck Luke, brave but limited. Should have chosen League.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 20 Sep 2021 11:21am And the number of umpires that go on to higher roles (not that umps are not important) is ????

Do they become talent scouts? Agents, Administrators. Not so much? strange then that their opinion is so revered (by some) in the Brownlow.

More than often great players win but that's to be expected. Nevertheless I doubt an umpire has ever played on a Tom Hawkins or a Mick Martyn to pick up the nuances of other than mid field roles. Love the form of Dangers and Joel though, soft/uncontroversial vote casting......

In his heart of hearts I reckon Hinckley if he had one choice of two would pick the Bont. Wines is very very good, but Bont this year has been better and has had to play in Ballarat and Tassie to losing rucks not Adelaide Oval to Lycett. Wines is a worthy winner and I wish he played for us but the Melbourne guys cannibalised themselves vote wise and as I say Bont was better. IMO.
The award is unique in that it prioritises fair play. Might be old fashioned - but so am I!

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Re Luke, I can't help but sympathise. I'm sure he's right about the coaches - if he'd been lucky with one of them they'd have found a role for him. Look at Kent!