Petracca

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Petracca

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 8:59am Again, a flawed choice. A Top 10 player should not be decided on a "needs" base. In this case, a panicking "needs" base. It should be on best available. Petracca was #1, clearly. Don't take my word, take the word of other AFL clubs who would have taken Petracca #1.

We also needed an elite midfielder but there's some perception these are a "dime a dozen". Just shows the Saints finances are so bad, we don't even have a dime.

Worst #1 selection this century. Thankfully we'll only have our noses rubbed in it for another decade & by bloody Melbourne supporters.
Cal Thomey had McCartin at 1 and Pettracca at 3. He gets his info from recruiters and talent scouts. It want as if McCartin was rated a late 20’s pick

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 9:04am
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 8:59am Again, a flawed choice. A Top 10 player should not be decided on a "needs" base. In this case, a panicking "needs" base. It should be on best available. Petracca was #1, clearly. Don't take my word, take the word of other AFL clubs who would have taken Petracca #1.

We also needed an elite midfielder but there's some perception these are a "dime a dozen". Just shows the Saints finances are so bad, we don't even have a dime.

Worst #1 selection this century. Thankfully we'll only have our noses rubbed in it for another decade & by bloody Melbourne supporters.
Cal Thomey had McCartin at 1 and Pettracca at 3. He gets his info from recruiters and talent scouts. It want as if McCartin was rated a late 20’s pick
In which one of his dozen phantom drafts over the year? I never said he was a late 20's pick but I'm also not taking any comfort in the belief it was concussions that stopped him from realising / proving his mantle of #1.

Weren't Clubs polled after the draft about who they would have taken #1? Isn't that unusual unless there was an obvious curveball thrown by the club with the #1 pick?

Out of interest, who did Twomey have as #2 in that version?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 9:18am

In which one of his dozen phantom drafts over the year? I never said he was a late 20's pick but I'm also not taking any comfort in the belief it was concussions that stopped him from realising / proving his mantle of #1.

Weren't Clubs polled after the draft about who they would have taken #1? Isn't that unusual unless there was an obvious curveball thrown by the club with the #1 pick?

Out of interest, who did Twomey have as #2 in that version?

Brayshaw.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Geez, after so many attempts at his phantom draft he got those rankings horribly wrong. Unusual for him.

Hey, you think we picked the right player, I don't. History is going to make our worse with each game, each final, each season.

The only bonus is we now have Max King, a correction, meaning we are only a few years behind. Sliding doors, who knows how it will turn out?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 9:28am Geez, after so many attempts at his phantom draft he got those rankings horribly wrong. Unusual for him.

Hey, you think we picked the right player, I don't. History is going to make our worse with each game, each final, each season.

The only bonus is we now have Max King, a correction, meaning we are only a few years behind. Sliding doors, who knows how it will turn out?

Yeah it’s hard to cop especially watching Pettracca running around while McCartins concussions have halted his AFL ambitions. I still think McCartin would have been Tex Walker type key forward if was on the field.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Paddy was the obvious choice based on him being a monster key forward that you could build a team around. 17 other teams were lining up to use their first pick on him if we didn't. Concussion is what stopped him from fulfilling his potential.

And so if you don't agree then you must believe we did not learn our lesson when we selected Max King?

Who was responsible for recruiting Max King? And who will be to blame if Max has dodgy knees and becomes so injury prone he can't get on the park?

Who was the best midfielder we should have recruited instead of Max?

Why do it to yourself and make yours feel sick with envy everytime Petracca has a good game.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 9:34am
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 9:28am Geez, after so many attempts at his phantom draft he got those rankings horribly wrong. Unusual for him.

Yeah it’s hard to cop especially watching Pettracca running around while McCartins concussions have halted his AFL ambitions. I still think McCartin would have been Tex Walker type key forward if was on the field.
I like your enthusiasm there with your reference to Tex but I never saw the attack or the mongrel Tex has in Paddy. I also never saw Tex's love of the bench press in Paddy.

Just researched your Twomey phantom draft. He miraculously had Paddy as #1 on Nov 25 but two weeks earlier had Petracca as #1. Seems Trout leaked who we were going to select or someone did.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 9:39am
CURLY wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 9:34am

I like your enthusiasm there with your reference to Tex but I never saw the attack or the mongrel Tex has in Paddy. I also never saw Tex's love of the bench press in Paddy.

Just researched your Twomey phantom draft. He miraculously had Paddy as #1 on Nov 25 but two weeks earlier had Petracca as #1. Seems Trout leaked who we were going to select or someone did.

People had Peter Wright at one then Sam Durdin one and two for a lot of the year.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I agree that it was a horrendous decision - and it is not McCartins fault - however - that was a very average Draft Class compared to other years - And of course - the Football Gods gave it to us:
PickPlayerGames
1Paddy McCartin35
2Christian Petracca124
3Angus Brayshaw116
4Jarrod Pickett17
5Jordan De Goey118
6Caleb Marchbank48
7Paul Ahern24
8Peter Wright86
10Nakia Cockatoo39
11Liam Duggan116
12Corey Ellis31
13Lachie Weller116
14Jake Lever114
15Jarrod Garlett30
16Sam Durdin22
17Kyle Langford98
19Blaine Boekhorst25
20Jayden Laverde68
21Hugh Goddard12
22Daniel McKenzie61
---
9*Darcy Moore102
18*Isaac Heeney128
And the previous year:
Pick 1 was Tom Boyd over:
Patrick Cripps (13)
Marcus Bontempelli (4)
Josk Kelly (2)
Ben Brown (47)
James Sicily (56)
Zach Merrett (26)
Charlie Cameron (RD)
Dom Sheed (11)
Matt Crouch (23)
Tom Barrass (43)

The following Year - Jacob Weitering probably deserves the call of the #1 - but not sure Schache wear the #2 pick well.

It is an inexact science - and who is to say that if we picked Petracca he would have been developed into the player he became - and additionally - who is to say that McCartin at say Geelong playing second fiddle to Hawkins would not have developed into a prodigious talent?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

It wasn’t as if pick 1 and 2 were a coin flip, it was Petracca by a mile.

Sharman has shown as much in a handful of games than Paddy ever did.

But I suppose if you rate players like Geary as best 22 in 2022 then by comparison Paddy must look like a superstar!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 10:29am It wasn’t as if pick 1 and 2 were a coin flip, it was Petracca by a mile.

But I suppose if you rate players like Geary as best 22 in 2022 then by comparison Paddy must look like a superstar!
Again what your posting is pure garbage. In fact just lies.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 10:36am
The_Dud wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 10:29am It wasn’t as if pick 1 and 2 were a coin flip, it was Petracca by a mile.

Aside from the fact that you both believe that the other cannot have a reasonable opinion ......

It is recency bias that affect the view of Sharman - Paddy had some handy games

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
damienc
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 8:17am
CURLY wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 7:48am I love the comments that no one in the industry would have taken McCsrtin that everyone.

Every phantom draft every draft profile in that year had McCartin 1-2.

Yes in hindsight it was a bad pick as McCartin suffered from concussion but he was always either 1 or 2.
Hindsight is the Billings v Bontempelli selection.

Stupidity is the McCartin v Petracca selection.
Yep

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 9:38am Paddy was the obvious choice based on him being a monster key forward that you could build a team around. 17 other teams were lining up to use their first pick on him if we didn't. Concussion is what stopped him from fulfilling his potential.

And so if you don't agree then you must believe we did not learn our lesson when we selected Max King?

Who was responsible for recruiting Max King? And who will be to blame if Max has dodgy knees and becomes so injury prone he can't get on the park?

Who was the best midfielder we should have recruited instead of Max?

Why do it to yourself and make yours feel sick with envy everytime Petracca has a good game.
17 were lining up to take McCartin as #1 were they? I don't remember reading that anywhere. You've made that up. Did you want McCartin?

A desperation pick and as always, desperation breeds desperation. Do you think Max King was the wrong selection?

Max King was best available at that pick. I wanted Smith but thankfully they did not go for need, they went best available. That's the simplicity of choosing a Top 10 pick when everything has been laid out, it can only be messed up by recruiters getting too smart & ultimately justifying it with family values & a perceived attitude. He was also chosen because Paddy was a bust.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne were always going to take Petracca/Brayshaw as they didn't need a KPF - they sold the farm the year earlier to get Hogan. Who was it they gave away to get him?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 10:42am

Aside from the fact that you both believe that the other cannot have a reasonable opinion ......

Sharman has 10 goals after 4 games, Paddy had 2.

Paddy’s best game was 3 goals once in his career, and 34 goals in 35 games.

Take away Paddy’s draft price and just judge him by what he did on field. Sharman looks a much more natural player, better judge of flight and much better kick for goal.

Let’s hope we don’t ruin him!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 8:21am
Wayne42 wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 12:59am It's still the history of drafting, it may have improved but it's still an inexact science, it's why reputations are destroyed.
The science is relatively exact. It is the interviews and pseudo psych assessments that are flawed, in this case, fatally & embarrassingly.
Interesting comment, the first part tells me it's an exact science, the 2nd part tells me why it can be inexact, i thought it was all inclusive.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 12:08pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 8:21am
Wayne42 wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 12:59am It's still the history of drafting, it may have improved but it's still an inexact science, it's why reputations are destroyed.
The science is relatively exact. It is the interviews and pseudo psych assessments that are flawed, in this case, fatally & embarrassingly.
Interesting comment, the first part tells me it's an exact science, the 2nd part tells me why it can be inexact, i thought it was all inclusive.
I see what you mean Wayne.

I was getting at the physical science. The measuring of fitness, growth, speed, strength, aerobic capabilities, statistics etc which are all objective and are far more accurate than those used in the 80's & 90's.

Psych testing is still incredibly flawed. Interviewing 18 year old kids that just want to play football, I'm not sure gives a great insight unless you are looking for validation of a pre conceived idea.

I guess it is two parts: objective assessments, the physical aspects & the subjective, psych & interviews which brings in the bias of the interviewers.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s not whether a No 1 is the best player in the draft

Can’t control how well others develop

It’s whether they turn out to be very good players, therefore a worthy pick

Pick one doesn’t assure you a star, but it should get you at minimum a elite talent and good player

They should be the best player in there draft year, it’s that simple!
Whether they turn out the best is moot

Ie/ I would have drafted Petracca every day of the week
And I would have drafted Billings also in his draft year.

And
Saying we needed a forward, that is breaking the cardinal rule of drafting
Never draft for position, ALWAYS draft BEST player available.

You don’t know what will be available in trade in the future, you can’t forecast the shape of your list over 12 years - and that’s what you draft a player for, a career - not the next 3 or 4 years.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

One flag from that draft list - won by my cousin Liam😂👍🏻👍🏻

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 11:51am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 10:42am

Sharman has 10 goals after 4 games, Paddy had 2.

Paddy’s best game was 3 goals once in his career, and 34 goals in 35 games.

Take away Paddy’s draft price and just judge him by what he did on field. Sharman looks a much more natural player, better judge of flight and much better kick for goal.

Let’s hope we don’t ruin him!
Sharman 21.

Also everyone is well aware that Paddy had numerous collusion injuries in those games including one early in a game v Collingwood when he was in great nick.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 12:31pm
Psych testing is still incredibly flawed. Interviewing 18 year old kids that just want to play football, I'm not sure gives a great insight unless you are looking for validation of a pre conceived idea.
100%, especially if you don’t know what you’re looking for which IMO is an industry wide problem

I’ve worked in mental health for 17 years, hospitals, community and Forensic. When I sit down to down a 60min assessment…
I will tell you categorically, the least useful information is the content of what an individual says:
People lie, bend/twist/manipulate to either what they think you want to here or what they want you to do

Even attitude is almost wholly irrelevant as it is changeable and ppl can be influenced

The true value is establishing how people think e.g. the thought processes behind decision making and establishing behavioural patterns

Everything I’ve read about AFL psych testing/interviews focuses on attitude and goals
Waste of time

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Oh My God!

Did we really pick McCartin over Petracca?

I never knew! Maybe we should bang on about it for another 50 years because that is what us fans do.... not let go of something.

WHO CARES?!?!

It was done, it was a mistake, the people involved are no longer at the club.

Some of you probably aren't over your first girlfriend either.

MOVE ON

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote: Sun 29 Aug 2021 2:38pm Oh My God!

Did we really pick McCartin over Petracca?

I never knew! Maybe we should bang on about it for another 50 years because that is what us fans do.... not let go of something.

WHO CARES?!?!

It was done, it was a mistake, the people involved are no longer at the club.

Some of you probably aren't over your first girlfriend either.

MOVE ON
If I got to watch my first satisfying thousands whilst the one I chose went celibate, it would frustrate me 🥺

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Toby Greene

While we are on the subject of opposition players, what did you guys make of the Toby Greene incident yesterday?

Does he get weeks for attempting to intimated the judiciary? Alternatively, does he get to play under the Barry Hall Rule … we want to see the best players playing finals.

Pretty sure that would get weeks in the regular season. I’m torn. He’s a wonderful player but I sense he is none too bright.