Long on playing forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Long on playing forward

Scollop wrote: Wed 28 Jul 2021 6:44pm
sunsaint wrote: Wed 28 Jul 2021 4:45pm fair to say im not overly a fan - especially if we are to improve the list
but I think there is one way to settle this argument once and for ever

If you had a choice between B Long and N Hind who would you choose to improve our list?
and yes I know someone is going to chime in and say they play different positions but Nick has kicked as many goals this year as Ben has
and no where else does Bens' stats come close or better unless you are talking clangers or frees against
So apart from ranking Hind as a better player… you’re also saying we need a new list manager and new football operations manager for letting him go to Essendon
Hind is is a half back. long is plying as a forward.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon stated last night

The key to beating Essendon was to tag one of their key ball winners and stop Hind

Not bad for someone who we let go for nought

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 29 Jul 2021 12:01pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 29 Jul 2021 4:39am
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 28 Jul 2021 9:45pm
But with Maxy, I could see the scope. With Longy, I just don't.

…etc., as i said earlier, I just don't see where Long's development can go...I haven't noticed anything yet. I love the effort. And as I say, it's all relative.
Did you watch the last quarter against West Coast? Long was probably our second most effective player after King.

You probably don’t have access to all the quarter by quarter stats and you won’t get the data the club has, but that’s ok…just watch the footy and pay attention next time
So Longy got quite a few of his 9 disposals in the last quarter did he? What was he doing in the first 3 quarters? He did have a total of one metre gained - was that his shot for goal from one metre out?

It's OK executing a few bone crunching tackles (as long as they are legal), but he needs to have more consistent impact for me.

He is well behind Higgins and Butler (who has improved in recent weeks) in the HF stakes, and probably ahead of Kent and Lonie, so the next month is very important for him to consolidate his position.

As we get injured players back, and add Gresham & Paton next year, it will be difficult for him to retain a spot in the best 22. I doubt that he will, but happy for him to prove me wrong.
Did you look at a stat sheet to tell you if Ben played well for his team?

The drama queens on Foxfooty like to add some spice to their commentating so ….what do all the nuff nuffs do? They look at 1 piece of play that wasn’t executed and miss 15 bits of play that helped his team…including those disposals you talk of

Long isn’t just a receiver. He wins contested footy. When he’s free and in space he’s also a very good distributor so his team mates will be looking to get the footy to him a little more than they have been

What makes you think that Ratts only wants to develop Long as a forward? Ben will probably take over from Dunny, or Ross or Crouch.

I’m glad that we have competent people coaching and not nuff nuffs.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 29 Jul 2021 1:28pm

…etc., as i said earlier, I just don't see where Long's development can go...I haven't noticed anything yet. I love the effort. And as I say, it's all relative.
Did you watch the last quarter against West Coast? Long was probably our second most effective player after King.

You probably don’t have access to all the quarter by quarter stats and you won’t get the data the club has, but that’s ok…just watch the footy and pay attention next time
So Longy got quite a few of his 9 disposals in the last quarter did he? What was he doing in the first 3 quarters? He did have a total of one metre gained - was that his shot for goal from one metre out?

It's OK executing a few bone crunching tackles (as long as they are legal), but he needs to have more consistent impact for me.

He is well behind Higgins and Butler (who has improved in recent weeks) in the HF stakes, and probably ahead of Kent and Lonie, so the next month is very important for him to consolidate his position.

As we get injured players back, and add Gresham & Paton next year, it will be difficult for him to retain a spot in the best 22. I doubt that he will, but happy for him to prove me wrong.

The drama queens on Foxfooty like to add some spice to their commentating so ….what do all the nuff nuffs do? They look at 1 piece of play that wasn’t executed and miss 15 bits of play that helped his team…including those disposals you talk of

Long isn’t just a receiver. He wins contested footy. When he’s free and in space he’s also a very good distributor so his team mates will be looking to get the footy to him a little more than they have been

What makes you think that Ratts only wants to develop Long as a forward? Ben will probably take over from Dunny, or Ross or Crouch.

You raised the stats, and now they don't count? Make up your mind. I hope Long develops as a forward, he can do some great things, tries very hard, but needs to be in the game more often if he is going to hold his place. Very good distributor? No better than most players.

Take over from Crouch, Ross, Dunstan? Yeah right. Plenty of others more likely to go into the midfield than Long, and I doubt whether he can play midfield.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Thu 29 Jul 2021 1:55pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 29 Jul 2021 1:28pm

You raised the stats, and now they don't count? Make up your mind. I hope Long develops as a forward, he can do some great things, tries very hard, but needs to be in the game more often if he is going to hold his place. Very good distributor? No better than most players.

Take over from Crouch, Ross, Dunstan? Yeah right. Plenty of others more likely to go into the midfield than Long, and I doubt whether he can play midfield.
We’ll see who is right. We all know that clangers and turnovers can kill you. It’s why Dunny was on the outer. It’s why Seb is often criticised. Guess who is king of clangers in the last 2 weeks? His first name starts with Brad and he is a starting mid

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Inside Mids always have the most clangers

1/ because they get the most kicks and therefore it makes sense they would have the most clangers

2/ the contested situations they get their possessions. They get a fair percentage of their kicks under pressure.

3/ they often are delivering the ball i50. Where there is a lot of opposition numbers.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

The key to beating Essendon was to tag one of their key ball winners and stop Hind
is that a laugh or a cry moment

#only at st kilda

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.