Dunstan, Long and Dmac

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan, Long and Dmac

When you watch other mids serve up games of 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14 disposals and the coaches don’t even consider dropping them, while you get dropped after a game that you received Brownlow votes in, it makes sense you would be a little annoyed.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Who served up those numbers??

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

One of our regular mids had 2 games in a row where he was poor. He got 12 touches round 6 last year and then only 10 touches in round 7 and kept his spot

He had 10 games or more last year with 18 or less disposals and 4 of these 10 games he had 15 or less. Three games with 16 total... you get the picture

Hill was woeful in a few games this year so we begged the other players to handball it to him at every opportunity ( Billings turned his head sideways and gave it to Hill in a game even though they were both running forward and Jack was on his preferred side for a lefty and even though Jack was slightly in front of Hill - the kick from Hill missed its target )

After Hill failed to have an impact we moved him so he could get more touches down back

B.M
Saintsational Legend

You think Dunstan could replace Hill on a Wing or at HB?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

You asked the question “Who served up those numbers” after The_Dud posted his opinion. I answered your question

Anyway…This thread isn’t about Dunstan replacing Hill in the side.

You think Hill could beat Dunstan in an arm wrestle or maybe in some sparring like Clarko got his boys to do?

Don’t tell me it’s a ridiculous question and has no relevance because I could easily say the same thing about your question

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 11:02am You think Dunstan could replace Hill on a Wing or at HB?
I think Dunstan can play the middle of the ground, while Steele plays lead up forward or while Crouch plays defensive forward or while Byrnes sweeps across HB.

Just put Luke into a permanent centre position. Get him involved in set plays rebounding out of defense and push him up to the forward flanks for stoppages. He is a stoppage player, a very good one.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 11:02am You think Dunstan could replace Hill on a Wing or at HB?
It's not about Dunstan replacing Hill, though I think he would 100% do better than returns of 6, 7, 8 touches and zero defensive pressure.

It's about some players getting free passes for multiple bad games, and others getting dropped after games where they were by no means in the 'worst on ground' discussion.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Ratten answered that question

By saying he gave Hill an opportunity to redeem himself and backed him in to do better. Bit of faith.

Plus, there wasn’t much outside talent to bring in?

It’s a fine line between keeping people accountable and swinging the axe each week for those who put in a bad one… you are dealing with players confidence which effects form.

If you’re are talking about Ross
Firstly, he had a few credits in the bank winning two of the previous 3 Trevor Barker Awards.
Second, he was playing as a run with defensive mid.

Am I correct in saying Dunstan has only once finished top 10 in the B&F (being 9th)

older saint
SS Life Member

I will put my hand up as one who has questioned Long's worth and position. He was good Friday but one game doesn't make a season. To me , like McKenzie before , his skills and decision making is not good enough to paly back . If defensive half forward a role he can play as perhaps his decision making /skill errors don't hurt as much 150 m from our goal. Yes he is hard at it but if someone offered a high third rounder i would take it.

McKenzie has benefited form playing on the wing, again not in defense. Great runner and strong overhead but skills let him down. Reminds me of Phillips from Haw (former Coll).

Dunstan has a great footy brain and nose for the footy. Not quick but get s to the contests and is fitter than previous seasons, at least leaner. We all know the foot skill issues at times.
His biggest problem is he is in a team with Steele, Crouch, Ross, Himself, Bytel , All inside mids ( steele both) not quick , bug bodies. Very much a sameness.

I actually see all 3 in a way being used as advertising for any potential suitors in the off season.

At least one inside mid will go IMO . Age may see Ross moved as a GC or someone looking for leadership may overpay . Dunstan younger so will also be an option and can provide leadership.

Will be happy to eat my words in 7 weeks time if they remain consistent but there have been plenty of these flashes before

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 2:13pm
Am I correct in saying Dunstan has only once finished top 10 in the B&F (being 9th)
For the money we are paying Hill (as well as what we had to give up for him in draft picks) lets hope Hill gets to finish in the top ten… at least once!!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What sort of player were you expecting Hill to be?

Always been very outside. He’s just not as fit as he once was. Which made him an elite winger. Now, to get a kick he has to play HB and use his run from defence rather than run the entire wing

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Would anyone in their right mind move Steele out of the centre square (and play him as a forward) to accommodate Dunstan

You need 3 inside Mids
Atm Dunstan is part of that trio

happy feet
Club Player

This thread is becoming ridiculous. Please remember that opinions are only important to those who look at themself in the mirror.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.