AGM and financials

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Re: AGM and financials

Tasmania is so overrated.

Would have made almost zero difference to our plight.

And if it made a difference of note - we'd be relocating there within 18 months.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Sun 22 Dec 2019 2:42pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 22 Dec 2019 12:52pm I’m actually a little offended. I thought I was your arch enemy.
You are not my arch enemy SaintPav. It's all fun and games (unless you are really Joffaboy).
Anyway, in all seriousness, what do you think of my response? Were you at that AGM all those years ago when I asked BUTTHEAD not to leave Tassie. I know that a few on here remember that day. Do you?
Yes, I was at the AGM sitting behind you and stuck you in the ribs which made you put your hand up.

It was a fair question but it sounds like Butthead gave a typical AGM brush off response. Management usually have a tin ear when it comes to challenging questions. I think it was a shortsighted decision.

In his defence, the club and supporters were desperate for that flag and we had a very poor record there. Also, you can’t compare the deal Hawthorn struck to what the Saints were getting at the time. I’m not sure we would have ended up with the same type of lucrative deal anyway. St Kilda is not Hawthorn. Apples and oranges.

I don’t think NZ is a viable option and I think we won’t be playing in China for too much longer. In hindsight, we probably should have thought with the long term in mind and stuck with Tasmania.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 22 Dec 2019 8:57pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Sun 22 Dec 2019 2:42pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 22 Dec 2019 12:52pm I’m actually a little offended. I thought I was your arch enemy.
You are not my arch enemy SaintPav. It's all fun and games (unless you are really Joffaboy).
Anyway, in all seriousness, what do you think of my response? Were you at that AGM all those years ago when I asked BUTTHEAD not to leave Tassie. I know that a few on here remember that day. Do you?
Yes, I was at the AGM sitting behind you and stuck you in the ribs which made you put your hand up.

It was a fair question but it sounds like Butthead gave a typical AGM brush off response. Management usually have a tin ear when it comes to challenging questions. I think it was a shortsighted decision.

In his defence, the club and supporters were desperate for that flag and we had a very poor record there. Also, you can’t compare the deal Hawthorn struck to what the Saints were getting at the time. I’m not sure we would have ended up with the same type of lucrative deal anyway. St Kilda is not Hawthorn. Apples and oranges.

I don’t think NZ is a viable option and I think we won’t be playing in China for too much longer. In hindsight, we probably should have thought with the long term in mind and stuck with Tasmania.
That's my point, we should have stuck with Tassie. We didn't, but we have one last chance with NZ. If and when Auckland is reconfigured for AFL my hope is we play 2 games there every year. Maybe even the women's team can play a couple as well. If we don't then I can see us out of the AFL within the next 10 years. It will get to the point where our debt will approach $20Mill and the AFL will say enough is enough.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
saynta
Saintsational Legend

NZ is a hole dude, filled with rugby loving people who dislike anything Australian.

Get over it.

AuckSaint
Club Player

They haven't even started work on the Western Springs revamp for Test Cricket and oval sports in Auckland. The only other suitable ground is the Cake tin (Westpac Stadium) in Wellington and the council won't financially support it after the poor crowds when we last tried there....NZ I would think is off the map for at least 2 years

1 of the 10,000 NZ Saints members
Sombersainter
Club Player

If we were to be relocated as a result of our debts, I would be ok with it. As long as we became relevant during finals and actually started to be a successful, i'd be happy.
It's better than being irrelevant and unimportant.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

AuckSaint wrote: Mon 23 Dec 2019 9:59am They haven't even started work on the Western Springs revamp for Test Cricket and oval sports in Auckland. The only other suitable ground is the Cake tin (Westpac Stadium) in Wellington and the council won't financially support it after the poor crowds when we last tried there....NZ I would think is off the map for at least 2 years
I don’t know how to post in bold shades red, but this poster is a Kiwi and knows his shyte.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Mon 23 Dec 2019 12:05pm
AuckSaint wrote: Mon 23 Dec 2019 9:59am They haven't even started work on the Western Springs revamp for Test Cricket and oval sports in Auckland. The only other suitable ground is the Cake tin (Westpac Stadium) in Wellington and the council won't financially support it after the poor crowds when we last tried there....NZ I would think is off the map for at least 2 years
I don’t know how to post in bold shades red, but this poster is a Kiwi and knows his shyte.
As long as we are playing a game in China every year our finances will be ok. Once the ground in Western Springs is ready then we must play 2 games there every year. One on ANZAC day and another later in the season. The best time would be during school holidays. That way supporters who love skiing could make a genuine holiday out of it.

Ideally - 2 games in Auckland, 1 game in China, pre-season training camp in NZ including visiting schools and promoting the game and you could also play a women's game in NZ as well. The sky is the limit. We do this properly and it would secure our future in the AFL forever.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

🤮

PADDLEPOP1000
AuckSaint
Club Player

I'm afraid saynta is correct...whilst the game is called "'Australian' Rules" there will never be great interest over the ditch. If the AFL want to share buckets of money with us to play over here (i.e. NZ), we should take the money of course. AFL already theoretically have schools programmes over here but they are just not gaining any traction versus Rugby and Rugby League.

Flogging a dead horse I'm afraid; but would love to see a live game here in Auckland one day for selfish reasons!

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

When do you think Western Springs will be ready AuckSaint?

AuckSaint
Club Player

The latest is the council has tendered for extension to Speedway at Western Springs until March 2022 to "...provide Council with the necessary time to fully explore all options for its future". Whilst speedway is at Western Springs no redevelopment will occur. Council estimates cost at NZ91million and nobody know who's funding it. I would suggest nothing would be ready for a minimum 3 years based on this.

The only other option is to look at other oval options like Seddon Park (Hamilton) or Mt Maunganui (recently had its first test match) but I would doubt funding available as populations bases are a lot lower.

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1912/ ... ations.htm

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why did we leave Tas?

Because we were losing there... same as NZ... same will happen in China

At least there was AFL supporters in Tas and it wasn’t a gimmick! Not only AFL supporters by dyed in the wool StK fans!

Here’s a thought?
Instead of blaming the venue for the losses, fix the preparation, change the mindset and perform. The opposing clubs had to travel (the massive 45 min flight it is to Launceston) and they brought game.

We instead just wished we were under the roof!

China is ridiculous

I like NZ on ANZAC day, gave us some prominence.

Tassie was the one. 500K guaranteed per game, chance to make it a fortress and give back to a place that’s given so much to STK.

But no... we couldn’t win there, so instead of fixing the problem, we ran!

BarryGrogan
Club Player

?

What gain do we get from 'dyed in the wool' supporters in Tassie?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 31 Dec 2019 4:49pm Why did we leave Tas?

At least there was AFL supporters in Tas and it wasn’t a gimmick! Not only AFL supporters by dyed in the wool StK fans!

Here’s a thought?
Instead of blaming the venue for the losses, fix the preparation, change the mindset and perform. The opposing clubs had to travel (the massive 45 min flight it is to Launceston) and they brought game.

China is ridiculous

Tassie was the one. 500K guaranteed per game, chance to make it a fortress and give back to a place that’s given so much to STK.

Once China takes over the whole asia pacific our Chinese Saints team will get the best facilities.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 01 Jan 2020 12:10pm
B.M wrote: Tue 31 Dec 2019 4:49pm Why did we leave Tas?

Here’s a thought?

China is ridiculous

Once China takes over the whole asia pacific our Chinese Saints team will get the best facilities.
Don'f laugh.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

ok I won'f

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Wed 01 Jan 2020 10:43am ?

What gain do we get from 'dyed in the wool' supporters in Tassie?
A heap of two headed supporters. :wink:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

AuckSaint wrote: Tue 31 Dec 2019 3:55pm The latest is the council has tendered for extension to Speedway at Western Springs until March 2022 to "...provide Council with the necessary time to fully explore all options for its future". Whilst speedway is at Western Springs no redevelopment will occur. Council estimates cost at NZ91million and nobody know who's funding it. I would suggest nothing would be ready for a minimum 3 years based on this.

The only other option is to look at other oval options like Seddon Park (Hamilton) or Mt Maunganui (recently had its first test match) but I would doubt funding available as populations bases are a lot lower.

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1912/ ... ations.htm
Thanks for the informative posts AuckSaint.

Just returned from there last week and had the best Brazillian BBQ I have ever eaten at Wildfire on the warf.
Amazing food, don't normally eat pork but the pork scotch was amazing.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.