Billy Longer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Schillaci
Club Player

Re: Billy Longer

Docherty and Polec trades have been done. Brisbane starting to deal. Hopefully a Longer trade won't be too much longer.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

If it is any longer, will Longer want to wait that long ;)

Schillaci
Club Player

Apparently Yeo trade will happen next/before day is over. Will leave only Longer and Karnezis trades to do.
Feel for the Lions...Docherty pick #12 two years ago for #33, Polec deal was better than nothing but essentially nothing, Yeo, Longer and Karnezis.
All could have long and great careers elsewhere after being developed by Brisbane.
Still better them than us.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Karnezis is off to Collingwood for Jackson Paine isn't it?

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
suss
Club Player

Schillaci wrote:Apparently Yeo trade will happen next/before day is over. Will leave only Longer and Karnezis trades to do.
Feel for the Lions...Docherty pick #12 two years ago for #33, Polec deal was better than nothing but essentially nothing, Yeo, Longer and Karnezis.
All could have long and great careers elsewhere after being developed by Brisbane.
It could've been crap drafting by Brisbane in the first place I suppose.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
Schillaci wrote:Apparently Yeo trade will happen next/before day is over. Will leave only Longer and Karnezis trades to do.

Not if everyone wants the players.

oldie60
Club Player

Theme this year appears to be youngsters are homesick or are clubs talking to them throughout the year. Brisbane seems to have been hit the hardest but no doubt the AFL will have to look at the kids taken by interstate clubs.

Schillaci
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
suss wrote:

Not if everyone wants the players.
Well this is right. Carlton think they've got a steal. Wraps on Docherty.
Yeo has been traded to WCE for pick#28. Pies want Karnezis. Port got Polec. We want Longer and Brisbane wanted to keep all of them.

defacto
Club Player

docherty just shows that pick 25 for longer is about right

starsign
Club Player

saintlee wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Docherty has gone to Carlton for pick 33.

Now we can get Longer done.
Good, sets a precedent in terms of value. Longer for #25 would be similar to Docherty for #33, and definitely a win for us.
OK thanks for that ! Didn't realise he was a lion Ta!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

oldie60 wrote:Theme this year appears to be youngsters are homesick or are clubs talking to them throughout the year. Brisbane seems to have been hit the hardest but no doubt the AFL will have to look at the kids taken by interstate clubs.

The players loved Voss and don't have much time for the decision makers at the club I heard.

karnaby
Club Player

Ya know, when we win 3 flags in a row I won't care too much if we have a few problems 10 years later, not feelin' too much sympathy for brisbane.
That said I'll be happy when we get this one over the line, it would be ok to get Bruce via the PSD if necessary, but aiming for 2 that way would complicate things.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
avid
Club Player

Here's my guess:
Since Bruce is playing the PSD card hard, we might want to secure the Longer deal by offering pick 19 for Longer and swapping their pick 22 for our 25.
22 is about the average between the two stalemated positions.

(Hoping like hell for a straight pick 25 deal though. Hoping even harder that the whole thing doesn't fall through.)

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:Here's my guess:
Since Bruce is playing the PSD card hard, we might want to secure the Longer deal by offering pick 19 for Longer and swapping their pick 22 for our 25.

(Hoping like hell for a straight pick 25 deal though. Hoping even harder that the whole thing doesn't fall through.)
That sounds like a fair deal, I hope we get it done

I love this club
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's funny.... I think I'd feel the same way, but

Not too long after a flag... The only thing you worry about is the next one.... They become a distant memory quickly?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It's funny.... I think I'd feel the same way, but

Not too long after a flag... The only thing you worry about is the next one.... They become a distant memory quickly?

What is that in response to it would e so much easier just to quote so we can understand the point of your post.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:

Maybe 25 & 41 for Longer? We won't need 41 if GWS won't accept it.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

karnaby wrote:Ya know, when we win 3 flags in a row I won't care too much if we have a few problems 10 years later, not feelin' too much sympathy for brisbane.
That said I'll be happy when we get this one over the line, it would be ok to get Bruce via the PSD if necessary, but aiming for 2 that way would complicate things.
Plugger66 ... I think BigMart was commenting on this ...

Was pretty easy to work out.

Was just a few posts above his contribution.

Hope that helps.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

We'll this one is going to go down to the wire. I think this is where our trades of Hickey and Lee from last year has created an impression that we might be easier to roll over than other clubs and hence Lions and giants holding out for more thinking we are more desperate and less likely to walk away.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
karnaby
Club Player

Don't know how I'd feel seeing that I was only 9 last time round.

Guess, I'd be prepared to win another one in the not too distant future so I can reassess how I'd feel about whatever cr@p came afterwards.

karnaby
Club Player

Stillwaiting wrote:

Agree.

As a supporter, and just wanting it to be resolved I'd be happy to see us give up a 'little' bit of ground to make it happen. Maybe there was a bit of that thinking in what brisbane did with Polac.

If this went thru our trade team gets to save a bit of face, 3 picks in the 1st 22 isn't as bad as 3 in 25 when the stated aim had been 3 in the top 20.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I feel the same way about GF appearances. Haven't watched replays of '97,'09 or '10. I have thought about it from time to time but just can't.
Probably best to just look forward.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
mohannair
Club Player

I think we should get it for pick 25, Blues got Docherty for pick 33, he is a gun.

On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

mohannair wrote:

I think we should get it for pick 25, Blues got Docherty for pick 33, he is a gun.
Eagles have now picked up Elliot Yeo for pick 28 from Brisbane. I think pick 25 is about right for Longer based on these 2 trades.

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

A deal for Longer to move from Brisbane to St Kilda has been agreed in principle for pick 25, with only the detail of whether the Lions gain an additional draft pick yet to be determined. The extra pick hinges on whether St Kilda can secure key back Bruce from GWS through the pre-season draft or if they have to trade pick 41 for him. The latter is more likely.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/w ... z2ie0oSfmw

they can have #99

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107