Match Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread

6.14, pretty much sums it up.

We’ve regressed back to the Richo era Saints. We’ve totally forgotten what we did and how we played the first half of the year.

Too many plodders keep getting picked. Seb team high clangers again. Geary cost us the first goal of the game and 2 in the last quarter. How many goals has Hill kicked this year? King looks to have the cleanest hands on the ground in our forward 50...

We haven’t played a good game since we beat the Swans. Time to stop accepting mediocrity.

Like someone said earlier, my opinion of Ratten has dropped this second half of the season. What is the game plan? Why do we keep making the same mistakes over and over and over...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintkev
Club Player

After 30 years, the club will have work hard for me to renew my membership next year. I will need to be convinced and my membership not just taken for granted. Truly gutted!!!

saintkid
Club Player

Clark had a good last quarter but is still a kid. Our senior players are letting us down too much. That's what defines the better teams.
Billings, Ross and Geary never step up when we need them because they aren't good enough. How can our younger players look up to these guys when they continually let the side down?

George27
Club Player

Well I am just shattered , stunned really. I stupidly let myself believe in the last quarter that we were going to win. Clearly we should have won. King and/or Hill kick eminently gettable goals and we win.

Like so many others , I am staggered by selection. I, and others on this forum, queried in advance the selection of 4 small forwards. Two are enough . Butler and Lonie were quiet , but even so were miles ahead of Hind and Kent. Those 2 have to be dropped next week.

Then there is the game plan. Goodness me, it is so ineffective.

To those of you preparing to take out writs against the umpires , I wish you would stop. I know you won’t, and it is an open forum , but I record the fact that I don’t agree with you. The umpires made some mistakes ( yes, those 2 deliberates were shockers ) but they were a darned sight better than most of our players. We were not good enough , just not good enough.

I am not going to sleep well tonight , as I stupidly invested mentally in this game. Bugger.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Groundhog Day.

We just weren't prepared to pay the price when it counted.

Same issues for years - bombing into the forward line. Picking out defenders. Kicking it to the defenders advantage.

Game on the line and winnable with time running out - hit the boundary!

We really needed to play another key position player in the back line as well. I knew it would cost us and I really believed that Carlisle would be a late in right up until the match started. Well, I was certainly wrong about that.

I can't believe that Kelly and Ryan were just allowed so much space all night.

And once again our 5 year + players didn't provide any leadership when it really counted.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

When we lost to Melbourne, I was as disappointed as I have been since the North loss in Round One.

This loss confirmed some things....

Our defence was overwhelmed and out of position again.
Our selection baffling (No Carlisle, why Kent is still picked?)
Our forwards were weak.
We lack skill and class.

God damn awful...

They made seven changes. They lost McGovern. They easily beat us. It could have been worse.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Peanut
Club Player

I know everyone is very disappointed 'but gee' (normally use stronger words) can't you see we are still building and were completely outclassed by arguably the best team in the competition. I thought we put in a good effort and it was a tragedy it go away from us in the end, but I feel the effort by a majority of our lads was first class. We have been playing above ourselves all year and I reckon we have a slightly better chance next round.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

8pts up and everyrhing going our way and NicNat does one tap over the back in a contest on the wing from a kick out and ....... everything changed ..... it was a set play as 3 Eagles ran past the pack waiting for it and we got caught out ...... one minute later the Freeagles were in front

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

If Hill keeps having giggles with the opposition players, I'll go nuts. It's not a good look and Ratts should call it out. Ratts went on last year about poor disposal, but Ross keeps getting games- he did a few low percentage efforts tonight. If Butler can't get a few goals, and the opposition sit on Jones, then we're out of business- Geelong showed everyone how and we haven't been the same since.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

We sucked at the end but it must be ace to know when you are Eagles that you will just get that rubbish free to give you a little lift and put the wind back in your sails.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
George27
Club Player

The Peanut wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:12pm I know everyone is very disappointed 'but gee' (normally use stronger words) can't you see we are still building and were completely outclassed by arguably the best team in the competition. I thought we put in a good effort and it was a tragedy it go away from us in the end, but I feel the effort by a majority of our lads was first class. We have been playing above ourselves all year and I reckon we have a slightly better chance next round.
I admire your stoicism, but the Eagles had the guts ripped out of their team by injury both before and during the game and were ripe for the picking.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:13pm 8pts up and everyrhing going our way and NicNat does one tap over the back in a contest on the wing from a kick out and ....... everything changed ..... it was a set play as 3 Eagles ran past the pack waiting for it and we got caught out ...... one minute later the Freeagles were in front
Go back and watch who allowed that tap over the back to hurt us.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:18pm
Devilhead wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:13pm 8pts up and everyrhing going our way and NicNat does one tap over the back in a contest on the wing from a kick out and ....... everything changed ..... it was a set play as 3 Eagles ran past the pack waiting for it and we got caught out ...... one minute later the Freeagles were in front
Go back and watch who allowed that tap over the back to hurt us.
Not blaming anyone as it was a great set play to get the ball forward - they were struggling before that moment to get ball past the wing - unfortunately he meet the ball perfectly and we weren't awake to it

But hey Howard watching Allen mark the ball standing 3 feet away on the behind line in the 2nd quarter ...... blame away

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:05pm 6.14, pretty much sums it up.

We’ve regressed back to the Richo era Saints. We’ve totally forgotten what we did and how we played the first half of the year.

Too many plodders keep getting picked. Seb team high clangers again. Geary cost us the first goal of the game and 2 in the last quarter. How many goals has Hill kicked this year? King looks to have the cleanest hands on the ground in our forward 50...

We haven’t played a good game since we beat the Swans. Time to stop accepting mediocrity.

Like someone said earlier, my opinion of Ratten has dropped this second half of the season. What is the game plan? Why do we keep making the same mistakes over and over and over...
You actually lie

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

At the moment it's the pain of being so close to playing finals with the ball in our hands on our court and we are throwing air balls

If it wasn't for that last bulls*** goal it would have been another very winnable loss under 10pts

Not sure what these losses are mentally doing to this team but at the moment it seems the team themselves don't think they belong

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:30pm

You actually lie
How many forward 50 tackles again?

BadRossco
Club Player

To have any chance of getting to play finals without relying on other results we must get rid of the ball butchers and non contributors. Kent, Hind and Lonie are not up to it and Ross and Geary should be wearing striped aprons. Time to bring back Carlisle, Savage, Roberton, Bytel and have a look at Langlands. If Hanners is available he replaces one of the last two for some on field experience

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:34pm

You actually lie
You lied in a attempt to bag our captain. Disgusting.

seano1
Club Player

While we have some good kids at the club they need to be given their chance ....hind and kent aren’t the future give the kids their heads . We’re still a chance to make finals but will be out just as fast a lot of our players just aren’t strong enough

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:36pm

You actually lie
Cost the first goal of the game by pulling out of the mark and letting Darling get a clear run at it.

Cost the first of the last quarter by letting the ball get passed him in the middle leading to the Kennedy goal, and them getting a run on.

Cost another in the last because he panicked in a simple one-on-one.

He’s a liability.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 10:46pm Stopped watching at half time. Lost faith.

Went into the studio and played drums

Did not need to see the inevitable fight back only to another crushing loss.

Well done to all you stoics for sticking it out.

Were they missing 8 of their top 12 And had one of their stars go down at half time?

We refuse to take our chances

GWS will run back onto form next round....ink it in.
turned it all off
in the first ,
when we went backwards & lost the pill

turned it back on with a minute and a bit left
in the last

turned it straight off again

dermie was right
we don’t win because we are st kilda

god love us

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:39pm

You actually lie
Cost the first goal of the game by pulling out of the mark and letting Darling get a clear run at it.

Cost the first of the last quarter by letting the ball get passed him in the middle leading to the Kennedy goal, and them getting a run on.

He’s a liability.
Such a lier. Especially the Allen free but typical of a lier.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:41pm

You actually lie

He’s a liability.
What the f*ck is a ‘lier’???

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:43pm

You actually lie

He’s a liability.
You. Just make stuff up. Tell untruths. Disgusting habit

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:45pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 11:43pm

You actually lie

He’s a liability.
You. Just make stuff up. Tell untruths. Disgusting habit
CURLY wrote: Thu 10 Sep 2020 9:22pm
24 forward 50 tackles no free kicks.