GWS to get pick 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

defacto
Club Player

Re: GWS to get pick 1

Jaxons i will gladly buy you a beer...make that a keg...make that a brewery if this happens

you are a dead set legend!!!!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Oh well....looks like pick one is gone then.
No way would we be able to keep it AND gain two more single digit picks.

Can't be a bad thing.
The recruiters know more info than us numpties on here.
Get it done guys, get us a great deal.
L

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
Teflon wrote:One day Im gonna tell my kids I posted on the same forum as Jaxons.....thanks for the hope cause we all need it but please whatever you do don't give away any trade secrets too early......others watch this board and lets keep them all guessing till deals are in the bag
Thanks Teflon for the wrap.
Have given nothing away to hurt the club.

FYI this is on afl.com.au now:

Two clubs have ramped up their efforts to secure St Kilda's No.1 draft pick, each working to put together a package of picks that will get a deal done.

AFL.com.au understands there is a third club that remains interested in securing the prized pick, which has been less proactive in discussions.

As well as pick No.1 in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft, the Saints have pole position in the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft, which is becoming a factor in talks around GWS tall Jaksch.

The Giants and Carlton have hit an impasse in negotiations to send Jaksch to the Blues – his preferred club – with St Kilda a viable option if a deal can't be struck.

It is believed the prospect of Jaksch ending up at St Kilda through the pre-season draft is being used to encourage GWS to deal with Carlton and get some return for losing the key-position player.

The Saints have already met with Jaksch's management and put forward a contract offer.

Despite reports of Essendon's interest in Jaksch, the key-position player has not spoken with the Bombers and remains intent on getting to Carlton, with St Kilda his preferred fall-back option.
If multiple clubs are trying to deal with St Kilda to get pick one then that says that Petracca must be an outstanding talent possibly as talented as a Judd.
I'm not sure you should be giving away playes like that. One of those can equal 3 good players and you need one of those to win a premiership.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Chris Pelchen next week

LondonSaint
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:
jaxons wrote:
Teflon wrote:One day Im gonna tell my kids I posted on the same forum as Jaxons.....thanks for the hope cause we all need it but please whatever you do don't give away any trade secrets too early......others watch this board and lets keep them all guessing till deals are in the bag
Thanks Teflon for the wrap.
Have given nothing away to hurt the club.

FYI this is on afl.com.au now:

Two clubs have ramped up their efforts to secure St Kilda's No.1 draft pick, each working to put together a package of picks that will get a deal done.

AFL.com.au understands there is a third club that remains interested in securing the prized pick, which has been less proactive in discussions.

As well as pick No.1 in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft, the Saints have pole position in the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft, which is becoming a factor in talks around GWS tall Jaksch.

The Giants and Carlton have hit an impasse in negotiations to send Jaksch to the Blues – his preferred club – with St Kilda a viable option if a deal can't be struck.

It is believed the prospect of Jaksch ending up at St Kilda through the pre-season draft is being used to encourage GWS to deal with Carlton and get some return for losing the key-position player.

The Saints have already met with Jaksch's management and put forward a contract offer.

Despite reports of Essendon's interest in Jaksch, the key-position player has not spoken with the Bombers and remains intent on getting to Carlton, with St Kilda his preferred fall-back option.
If multiple clubs are trying to deal with St Kilda to get pick one then that says that Petracca must be an outstanding talent possibly as talented as a Judd.
I'm not sure you should be giving away playes like that. One of those can equal 3 good players and you need one of those to win a premiership.

Really? is that why we haven't won a flag with Goddard (pick #1), Riewoldt (pick #1), Kozi (pick#2), Harvey, Loewe, Burkey, Winmar.. all stars in their own right.. just look at Carlton, no where near a flag with Murphy, Cruizer, Gibbs (all pick#1), Judd (pick #4), walker (pick #2). The point is have a star team with many good to excellent players with a few stars.. just look at Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong.. keeping #1 is good if you want to re-build slowly and be at the bottom for 10 years... i don't think that's what we're trying to do though... In addition, now is the once in a life opportunity to get talent/picks from GWS when they have more first round draft picks than spots on their team.... Just my humble opinion.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

@Dr_Saintsman: I think of #AFLTradeWeek.

And I think of @stkildafc

And I think of Chris Pelchen & can't help but think of this Image

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

So if we get extra picks, and considering the announced rookie upgrades, how many more current players do we need to delist/trade out?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:@Dr_Saintsman: I think of #AFLTradeWeek.

And I think of @stkildafc

And I think of Chris Pelchen & can't help but think of this Image

Shame we don't just have a 'like' button one here… would save me from quoting this and saying…
or +1
:D

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:So if we get extra picks, and considering the announced rookie upgrades, how many more current players do we need to delist/trade out?
Good question. Currently we have 36 players on the senior list for next year, 1 rookie (Weller) and 1 cat B rookie (Holmes). Max of 40 players on the senior list so that means we have 4 spots available. If we trade in Membrey then we have three spots. Based on current draft picks then we could use 1, 22 and 41. The rest (60, 78 etc) would be not live picks, some used for rookie upgrades.

If we trade anyone else in then that reduces the number of picks further.

Surely we're going to use at least four draft picks? Need to get new blood into the club. If that's the case then we need to free up another spot - maybe Schneider or Simpkin let go. Or maybe Markworth going to the rookie list.

Or maybe part of this trade will be a player going out. Not sure but we don't exactly have a huge number of free spots at this point which is ridiculous given we finished stone motherless last.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Simply - the recruiting staff would have stratagised exactly the appropriate group of picks they believe that

a) is an outstanding offer
b) gives the STKFC the best chance to fasttrack the climb up the ladder

we got 3 1st rounders last year
we get 4 ish this year.
That's 7 first rounders in two years.

Next year we target FA and three to four more first rounders.

We need to do this to compete with the GWS's and GC's.

We need an even team. Even without Buddy the Hawks were easily the best TEAM of the season.

We have all complained about our bottom six. Well if we improve that and then put cream on top we will be cooking with gas.

You are garbage - Enough said
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think Schneider is very unlikely to go on…

Out:
Maister, Hayes, Jones, Gwilt, TDL, Dunell, Milera, Schneider

In:
Minch, Shenton, Templeton, Membrey

Aas you mentioned bergs, we may move a player down to the rookie list.

Still likely to see players traded out too.

As it stands I think 4 players in the draft will be fine as we'll also be adding 3 rookies… 7 new players. It's not like we haven't been turning the list over in recent years, something like 30 players in 3 years have been added.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

It is a joke if Schneider stays on.

1. We finished stone motherless last - 18th from 18.
2. We are playing with old sides and still finishing bottom - http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 08cis.html
3. He has had 6 good games in the last three years http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... -SCHNEIDER
4. He is likely to be injured.

But apparently hes a top bloke with 'footy smarts' and 'class' so just gets contract after contract.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:It is a joke if Schneider stays on.

1. We finished stone motherless last - 18th from 18.
2. We are playing with old sides and still finishing bottom - http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... 08cis.html
3. He has had 6 good games in the last three years http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... -SCHNEIDER
4. He is likely to be injured.

But apparently hes a top bloke with 'footy smarts' and 'class' so just gets contract after contract.
Save your rants for if he even gets another contract.

Btw our age and experience would have already dropped dramatically after losing Hayes, jones, Gwilt, Maister & Milera.

In 2 years we will have the youngest list in the comp regardless of whether schneider plays on next year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ur right.dragit..unnecessary rant.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
lefty wrote:Petraccas older brother is a pretty good player too, very big and solid, played two years together.

Anyway, I'll just trust the club.

I think a lot of you forget that Dunstan and Acres were picks 18 and 19 from memory.
NDS was pick 13, Jack Newness was in the 30's, etc etc

I think I'd trade pick 1, if we got two picks (1st rnd) + player (under 21 yr old), or three picks (1st rnd) but one must be at least around #4-7)
We will have multiple single figure picks I promise.
multiple..........therefore....several.........more than 2

hmm

saint4life
dragit
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
jaxons wrote:
lefty wrote:Petraccas older brother is a pretty good player too, very big and solid, played two years together.

I think a lot of you forget that Dunstan and Acres were picks 18 and 19 from memory.

I think I'd trade pick 1, if we got two picks (1st rnd) + player (under 21 yr old), or three picks (1st rnd) but one must be at least around #4-7)

hmm
Multiple as in more than 1.

Most likely will be 4 & 7 I imagine.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
jaxons wrote:

hmm

Sounds like 4, 7, 19 is highly possible if we trade 4, 7, 19 with GWS for pick 1.

could leave us with

4 - Lever
7 - Ahern
19 - Nackers
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 09 Oct 2014 11:47am, edited 1 time in total.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Could it be the definition of multiple............several............more than 2

saint4life
matrix
Saintsational Legend

still not multiple single digit picks is it.
not if we go with chooks reasoning of multiple meaning more than two

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey is a multiple brownlow winner, as is Judd & Goodes.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

and?
where we going with this.. 8-)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:and?
where we going with this.. 8-)
2 is the magic number :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

have you been drinking tape water again??
8-)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ok so confirmed the Blues just picked up 19 from GWS.

So 19 is off the table. But GWS do have pick 21 still - leaving them with 4,7,21.

Would we do pick 1 for 4,7,21 - that leaves us with 4,7,21,22 - compared to 1, 22.

I say yes - unless we can offload pick 4 for another 2 x top 12s leaving us with 5 in the top 22.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Ok so confirmed the Blues just picked up 19 from GWS.

So 19 is off the table. But GWS do have pick 21 still - leaving them with 4,7,21.

Would we do pick 1 for 4,7,21 - that leaves us with 4,7,21,22 - compared to 1, 22.

I say yes - unless we can offload pick 4 for another 2 x top 12s leaving us with 5 in the top 22.
Yes to 4, 7 & 21, but I don't want to downgrade 4 for 2 later picks personally.