GWS to get pick 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint-stu
Club Player

Re: GWS to get pick 1

jaxons wrote:We will not build the list well enough by going into this draft with just picks #1 and #23 and #40.
If I told you we may have 4-5 picks inside pick 23 and/or maybe a young gun with those picks, you would think that gives us a better chance moving forward in the long run.
I would have thought so.
That does sound good when you put it that way!

I think if we can have a similar result to last year's trade/draft we would have to be very happy.

1ac46a38
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:Con teaching etiquette and decency standards…

It's like the twilight zone.
:D :D Yes I certainly admit its a bit rich . Pot calling kettle black I know :oops:
Just blame the Lunar eclipse.

As for the depth of this draft, the "experts" say that the top 20 is very good, so if we could get a few players rather than one that could be a good thing. But as with most drafts it may take a few years to really know either way - depending on the players.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Thanks Jaxons - sounds like the club is in good hands at trade time!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
sainter#4
Club Player

my worry is with 4-5 picks we really need to hit a home run and we won't

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Thanks Jaxons - sounds like the club is in good hands at trade time!
The club is obviously working on something, unfortunately, they aren't keeping Saintsational informed.

They've probably checked the place out, too many ego's, too much bickering, we'll just have to wait until it happens.

then the first one to hear about it can get on here with a newsflash... :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:Luke Hodge, Des Headland and Drew Banfield are the only players taken at #1 by their original club to have played in a premiership since 1986 of No.1 draft picks (yes Riewoldt was close).
I'm not sure that stat proves anything.

Picks before 92 were a crapshoot. Picks after 03 still have time - Deledio's only 27. So that's 12 pick ones we're looking at. You're saying a quarter of them played in premierships. Not a bad strike rate.

On top of that, Riewoldt played in two losing Grand Finals, so did Goddard. Fraser played in a couple. Gardiner played in one for his original club and two for us. Johnstone played in one for his original club. White played in one for Melbourne (after a dodgy trade from Freo). Cooney made two prelims and Gaspar made a prelim (after forcing a trade to Richmond). Waterhouse is the only one to have never played a final. In fact 11 out of 12 made it at least to preliminary finals, only a couple of them had to change clubs to do so.

Safe to say these guys had much more successful careers on average than the guys taken at any other pick in the draft between 92 and 04. So the question isn't whether pick one is good. It is. It's just whether we can get more value from later picks. You haven't proved that at all.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

We keep no 1 and the player turns out not to be a superstar, we'll get bagged.

We trade no 1 for multiple picks etc, we'll be labeled crazy and we'll get bagged.

Lets face it, we'll get bagged whatever we do.

We get bagged for breathing. We get bagged for just being St Kilda.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
jaxons
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
jaxons wrote:Luke Hodge, Des Headland and Drew Banfield are the only players taken at #1 by their original club to have played in a premiership since 1986 of No.1 draft picks (yes Riewoldt was close).
I'm not sure that stat proves anything.

Picks before 92 were a crapshoot. Picks after 03 still have time - Deledio's only 27. So that's 12 pick ones we're looking at. You're saying a quarter of them played in premierships. Not a bad strike rate.

On top of that, Riewoldt played in two losing Grand Finals, so did Goddard. Fraser played in a couple. Gardiner played in one for his original club and two for us. Johnstone played in one for his original club. White played in one for Melbourne (after a dodgy trade from Freo). Cooney made two prelims and Gaspar made a prelim (after forcing a trade to Richmond). Waterhouse is the only one to have never played a final. In fact 11 out of 12 made it at least to preliminary finals, only a couple of them had to change clubs to do so.

Safe to say these guys had much more successful careers on average than the guys taken at any other pick in the draft between 92 and 04. So the question isn't whether pick one is good. It is. It's just whether we can get more value from later picks. You haven't proved that at all.
My point is don't get wedded to one player if we could get multiple beauties and there are some really good players in this draft.
Pettracca will be a gun but there will be some other real guns that are available too.
Our recruiting team have done an excellent job in the last 2-3 drafts.
They have put in a ton of work, have faith they will deliver some new Saints heroes.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:We keep no 1 and the player turns out not to be a superstar, we'll get bagged.

We trade no 1 for multiple picks etc, we'll be labeled crazy and we'll get bagged.

Lets face it, we'll get bagged whatever we do.

We get bagged for breathing. We get bagged for just being St Kilda.

What if we keep pick 1 and he's a superstar...?

Also, not related to this but I'm sick of people writing for example: picks 4 and 7.... McCartin and Lever... Just seeing the good in the picks, the best result, not the risk that those players will probably not be there.

sainter#4
Club Player

Jaxons besides pick 1 is there any other news? any trades in or out besides membrey? is O'shea going to happen?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:My only worry would be how deep the talent is in this Draft??? Is it comparable to other good drafts.
No point having 4 to 5 picks if the talent doesn't run deep. To trade pick 1 would have to be special. I would hate for Petracca and/or Mc Cartin to be superstars and the picks we get flop.

What's worse. Giving away a potential superstar and flopping our picks, or flopping pick 1???

I would say this drafts point of difference seems to be a huge group from about pick four onwards up until around the mid 20s seem very even. I have heard the term throw a blanket over them. Guys like Goddard and and Lamb who were talked about as top 7 have been in phantoms up until the high twenties as people can't fit them in. The first four seem to go Petracca, Mc Cartin, Brayshaw then probably Wright but there are at least 4 others that could be swapped around after Petracca. There are guys like Kietel and R Mc Kenzie who are considered anywhere from teens to thirties. Good year to have multiple top twenty picks.

lefty
Club Player

Petraccas older brother is a pretty good player too, very big and solid, played two years together.

Anyway, I'll just trust the club.

I think a lot of you forget that Dunstan and Acres were picks 18 and 19 from memory.
NDS was pick 13, Jack Newness was in the 30's, etc etc

I think I'd trade pick 1, if we got two picks (1st rnd) + player (under 21 yr old), or three picks (1st rnd) but one must be at least around #4-7)

jaxons
Club Player

lefty wrote:Petraccas older brother is a pretty good player too, very big and solid, played two years together.

I think a lot of you forget that Dunstan and Acres were picks 18 and 19 from memory.

I think I'd trade pick 1, if we got two picks (1st rnd) + player (under 21 yr old), or three picks (1st rnd) but one must be at least around #4-7)
We will have multiple single figure picks I promise.

jaxons
Club Player

gringo wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:My only worry would be how deep the talent is in this Draft??? Is it comparable to other good drafts.
No point having 4 to 5 picks if the talent doesn't run deep. To trade pick 1 would have to be special. I would hate for Petracca and/or Mc Cartin to be superstars and the picks we get flop.

What's worse. Giving away a potential superstar and flopping our picks, or flopping pick 1???

I would say this drafts point of difference seems to be a huge group from about pick four onwards up until around the mid 20s seem very even. I have heard the term throw a blanket over them. Guys like Goddard and and Lamb who were talked about as top 7 have been in phantoms up until the high twenties as people can't fit them in. The first four seem to go Petracca, Mc Cartin, Brayshaw then probably Wright but there are at least 4 others that could be swapped around after Petracca. There are guys like Kietel and R Mc Kenzie who are considered anywhere from teens to thirties. Good year to have multiple top twenty picks.
There's a few not on this list we love too.

sainter#4
Club Player

jaxons, regardless what happens - thank you. Its always good as a supporter to get news on potential club dealings especially when were at the foot of the table and trade and draft time is a good time for us.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear from you jaxons. Would it be fair to say we are hoping Carlton use pick 7 on Jaksch so we can get that with pick 4 (& possibly something else) for pick 1?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
gringo wrote:

De Goey, Lever, Laverde etc

saint4life
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
jaxons wrote:
gringo wrote:

Isn't Lever's nickname...dicky knee ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

One day Im gonna tell my kids I posted on the same forum as Jaxons.....thanks for the hope cause we all need it but please whatever you do don't give away any trade secrets too early......others watch this board and lets keep them all guessing till deals are in the bag

“Yeah….nah””
Richter
SS Life Member

At a guess I would suggest the following as possibilities...

#1 to GWS for #4, #21 and Jaksch
Then #4 to Gold Coast for #8 and #15

Would leave us with #8, #15, #21 and Jaksch for #1

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
gringo
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
jaxons wrote:
gringo wrote:

Ahern goes pretty well too, Duggan, Weller, Menadue, Durdin, Neal Bullen, Marchbank, Pickett, Cockatoo... plenty of depth.

jaxons
Club Player

Teflon wrote:One day Im gonna tell my kids I posted on the same forum as Jaxons.....thanks for the hope cause we all need it but please whatever you do don't give away any trade secrets too early......others watch this board and lets keep them all guessing till deals are in the bag
Thanks Teflon for the wrap.
Have given nothing away to hurt the club.

FYI this is on afl.com.au now:

Two clubs have ramped up their efforts to secure St Kilda's No.1 draft pick, each working to put together a package of picks that will get a deal done.

AFL.com.au understands there is a third club that remains interested in securing the prized pick, which has been less proactive in discussions.

As well as pick No.1 in the 2014 NAB AFL Draft, the Saints have pole position in the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft, which is becoming a factor in talks around GWS tall Jaksch.

The Giants and Carlton have hit an impasse in negotiations to send Jaksch to the Blues – his preferred club – with St Kilda a viable option if a deal can't be struck.

It is believed the prospect of Jaksch ending up at St Kilda through the pre-season draft is being used to encourage GWS to deal with Carlton and get some return for losing the key-position player.

The Saints have already met with Jaksch's management and put forward a contract offer.

Despite reports of Essendon's interest in Jaksch, the key-position player has not spoken with the Bombers and remains intent on getting to Carlton, with St Kilda his preferred fall-back option.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:At a guess I would suggest the following as possibilities...

#1 to GWS for #4, #21 and Jaksch
Then #4 to Gold Coast for #8 and #15

Would leave us with #8, #15, #21 and Jaksch for #1
Read above posts by Jaxsons

will be better than 1 pick under 10

saint4life
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote:
lefty wrote:Petraccas older brother is a pretty good player too, very big and solid, played two years together.

We will have multiple single figure picks I promise.
To achieve multiple top 10 DP (4-5 under 23) - there must be some chance that a quality Saints player(s) will be traded out as well as DP 1 That's what worries some supporters.

I hoped they would take Petracca + a very good player at DP 23 (+Membrey) Anyway I'm sure the recruiters have done an outstanding job.
I'll bet one of the players not listed by another poster earlier, that the Saints would love is Sam Durdin.
Thanks for the info Jaxons.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Thu 09 Oct 2014 11:29am, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
sainter#4
Club Player

Hey Jaxon, Paige cardona who some people believe knows abit about the draft posted this 2 weeks ago - is it the same deal you are referring to?

Paige Cardona
‏@paigecardona
St Kilda likely to trump everyone and pull off a big, big deal during the trade period. Big things happening at that club. #AFLTrades