Billy Longer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

howlinwolf
Club Player

Re: Billy Longer

WinnersOnly wrote:
howlinwolf wrote:Could we shoot ourselves in the foot by holding out for both Bruce and Longer for the picks we've offered ?
If the Lions and GWS call our bluff we can't pick them both up in the PSD ?
No because GWS want pick #25 if Brisbane don't take it for Longer it will go to GWS for Bruce and then Longer through to PSD, or the contrary should Brisbane take #25 and GWS wont take #41.
Hypothetically speaking.. what would happen if both the Lions and GWS called our bluff so we then gave 25 for Bruce.
Melb or GWS then take Longer in the PSD before us ?

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
oldie60
Club Player

Anyone remember the late great Allan Jeans playing Val Perovic off the wing in his first couple of years until a bad knee put him out and came back as a centre half back. In the old scale was 6 ft 4 inch and was quick for a tall.Stanley could play on a wing easily and it gives you height coverage on both sides of the ground when clearing the ball out.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

sainters man wrote:I don't get why people are saying if Longer comes...Stanley's position is questionable?? He is nearly the quickest on our list and could play on a wing/forward flank/forward pocket - anywhere with his pace...People think because he has height he is a dinosaur..wrong
Agreed. When his body holds up Rhys is more than handy.

Any confusion as to Stanley's ability and value can be quickly erased by watching this game - Round 7 2012 game versus Carlton.

The question mark is on his durability and I reckon with another year of weights and the tall lanky kid filling out, he'll finally show what he is capable of. Good luck Rhys

Hope we get Billy on board too. I'm sure either of Rhys or Billy could play the ruckman forward role.

loris
Saintsational Legend

oldie60 wrote:Anyone remember the late great Allan Jeans playing Val Perovic off the wing in his first couple of years until a bad knee put him out and came back as a centre half back. In the old scale was 6 ft 4 inch and was quick for a tall.Stanley could play on a wing easily and it gives you height coverage on both sides of the ground when clearing the ball out.
Sure do "oldie60"................. also Fraser Gerhig played wing in his early days at the Eagles.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

sainters man wrote:I don't get why people are saying if Longer comes...Stanley's position is questionable?? He is nearly the quickest on our list and could play on a wing/forward flank/forward pocket - anywhere with his pace...People think because he has height he is a dinosaur..wrong
'could play on a wing/forward flank/forward pocket'

People also think because hes tall, fast and blonde that hes awesome at footy
also wrong.

has ever got a kick as a wingman, fwd pocket or fwd flank?

I hope I am wrong on this - but i think the Stanley as a fwd idea is closer to dream than reality.

supersaints
Club Player

There were quite a lot of tall wingmen back in those days
They were overtaken by players with pure pace ( like Cunningham )
But the way taller players have become much more athletic I'm sure there will be a resurgence of the taller wing player
Stanley sure fits the bill......

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
st.dave
Club Player

The Age has an article about Brisbane accepting a trade of WCE's pick 28 for Elliot Yeo...
Under the deal, the Lions will receive West Coast's second pick, no 28, in exchange for the promising Yeo, whom many from rival clubs believe is the best performed of the uncontracted players who are leaving the Lions.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/e ... 2vyo0.html
Taking this in to account pick 25 seems reasonable for Longer.
Sure he is probably worth a lower pick, but the fact is he is uncontracted and leaving their club regardless. This makes a mid second round pick seem about right and should get the deal over the line as the trade deadline gets closer IMO

AFL.com.au's Trade Wrap Tuesday article says:
There is a stalemate developing in talks, however, with the Lions juggling several balls in the air and appearing to want to sign off on a number of deals simultaneously.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-22/t ... ap-tuesday
Maybe the Yeo trade is the first of a few and the saints won't have to wait much longer... :?

Gurgman
Club Player

loris wrote:
oldie60 wrote:Anyone remember the late great Allan Jeans playing Val Perovic off the wing in his first couple of years until a bad knee put him out and came back as a centre half back. In the old scale was 6 ft 4 inch and was quick for a tall.Stanley could play on a wing easily and it gives you height coverage on both sides of the ground when clearing the ball out.
Sure do "oldie60"................. also Fraser Gerhig played wing in his early days at the Eagles.

Fraser and Stanley similar , man your on something , one had smarts , the other can just run , i love stanley and said when we drafted him to my mates he would be a star but so far i have seen nothing

And i thought this was a forum
spert
Saintsational Legend

Gurgman wrote:
loris wrote:

Fraser and Stanley similar , man your on something , one had smarts , the other can just run , i love stanley and said when we drafted him to my mates he would be a star but so far i have seen nothing
2014 may be Stanley's make or break season- he really needs to toughen up and play with a bit more authority

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Yep would love him on the wing ,!

PADDLEPOP1000
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Are we really comparing wigmen today to the 70 and 80's? A wingman today is an onballer who isnt allowed in the centre after a goal. After that he is the same as a centerman or a rover. Stanley isnt good enough below his knees to play on the ball and certainly isnt fast enough in packs to play on the ball. he either plays KP or rucks or plays at sandy.

sainters man
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Are we really comparing wigmen today to the 70 and 80's? A wingman today is an onballer who isnt allowed in the centre after a goal. After that he is the same as a centerman or a rover. Stanley isnt good enough below his knees to play on the ball and certainly isnt fast enough in packs to play on the ball. he either plays KP or rucks or plays at sandy.

Sorry mate I disagree with you. But we will see next season I guess...

Ross who?
Club Player

Lions have accepted pick 28 from WCE for Elliot Yeo. Where does that value Longer????

Blake Acres fan club VIP
savatage
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Are we really comparing wigmen today to the 70 and 80's?
Most players seem to go the Advanced Hair route these days.

andrewg
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think I am happy with Longer - but I remain in a state of utter confusion regarding Stanley and his place on our list if we did get Longer.
Stanley will be a tall target forward. He is excellent there and will be a very good player for us.
Can't see Stanley getting traded any time soon.

Watters loves him
Robert Harvey definitely rates him...

ctqs
Club Player

Matthew Richardson nearly won a Brownlow after he moved from full forward to a wing, no? Not saying Stanley's that good, but that could be worth a try.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
savatage
SS Life Member

I like Rhys like the next Saints supporter. Wonderful athlete but as a footballer...he is probably just thereabouts.

I hope he can improve but I'm seeing a lot of people over-rating his ability here!

Richter
SS Life Member

howlinwolf wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:
howlinwolf wrote:Could we shoot ourselves in the foot by holding out for both Bruce and Longer for the picks we've offered ?
If the Lions and GWS call our bluff we can't pick them both up in the PSD ?
No because GWS want pick #25 if Brisbane don't take it for Longer it will go to GWS for Bruce and then Longer through to PSD, or the contrary should Brisbane take #25 and GWS wont take #41.
Hypothetically speaking.. what would happen if both the Lions and GWS called our bluff so we then gave 25 for Bruce.
Melb or GWS then take Longer in the PSD before us ?
Then we get Bruce, who is a better prospect than who we would probably pick up with #25 anyway, and then instead of picking up Longer for free consider taking Karnezis instead in the PSD.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I think focusing on getting Longer during trade period and taking Bruce in the PSD is the smartest option.

Pick 25 seems a fair deal both ways and there isn't much doubt we'd get Bruce in the PSD.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:Matthew Richardson nearly won a Brownlow after he moved from full forward to a wing, no? Not saying Stanley's that good, but that could be worth a try.
Richo kicked 56 goals in 1994 as a 19 yo and 91 goals in 1996 as a 21 yo.

Peoples view/comparisons of Stanley are so far fetched it as to be a fairytale.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
ctqs wrote:Matthew Richardson nearly won a Brownlow after he moved from full forward to a wing, no? Not saying Stanley's that good, but that could be worth a try.
Richo kicked 56 goals in 1994 as a 19 yo and 91 goals in 1996 as a 21 yo.

Peoples view/comparisons of Stanley are so far fetched it as to be a fairytale.

To be fair rhys wasn't played as a permanent FF from the time he arrived. Richo was a gun early on then did his knee and never quite got back to what he was. Rhys needs games to get some confidence up and some consistency. Goddard was a pretty average player until they played him into a position. Ross really gave him his best chance as a player by using him in a role that suited his skill set.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Ross who? wrote:Lions have accepted pick 28 from WCE for Elliot Yeo. Where does that value Longer????
Around Pick 40.....

WC have done very nicely for themselves there. Brions were talking about a pick around 15 for Yeo last week.

resaintlee
Club Player

Stanley on a wing this season to continue building his skills and confidence. Work out the next step later.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:Stanley on a wing this season to continue building his skills and confidence. Work out the next step later.

Couldnt possibly play on the wing. What happens when he is an onballer which most wingmen are these days for most of the game? not good enough below his knees.

gosaints
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
resaintlee wrote:Stanley on a wing this season to continue building his skills and confidence. Work out the next step later.

Couldnt possibly play on the wing. What happens when he is an onballer which most wingmen are these days for most of the game? not good enough below his knees.
He has fantastic straight line pace but I haven't seen any evidence of the agility required to play wing / mid.
He is a forward / ruck and at the moment he is still getting by on potential.
Time will tell.