Match thread, Port in Shanghai

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match thread, Port in Shanghai

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 6:51pm
Sainternist wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 3:24pm Can anyone please PM me a link to a live stream? I'm overseas and damn AFL app doesn't work in that region.
I am overseas at present.

I watch the games live on kayosports. You just need to use a VPN and set it show you ate in Australia.

Kayo also allows you to watch the replay any game.

The VPN also works for Netflix etc. Set to us a if you want use Netflix etc.
I dropped 33 dollars on Sunday for a month or warchAFL. Can watch any game anytime and the FoX shows. What a disappointing start to se us get hammered. Just don’t wanna pay for a VPN so I was ent that way, although I wish I could watch footy classified and talking footy, both shows don’t turn up on the Fox app.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 7:15pm
saintsRrising wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 6:51pm
Sainternist wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 3:24pm Can anyone please PM me a link to a live stream? I'm overseas and damn AFL app doesn't work in that region.
I am overseas at present.

I watch the games live on kayosports. You just need to use a VPN and set it show you ate in Australia.

Kayo also allows you to watch the replay any game.

The VPN also works for Netflix etc. Set to us a if you want use Netflix etc.
I dropped 33 dollars on Sunday for a month or warchAFL. Can watch any game anytime and the FoX shows. What a disappointing start to se us get hammered. Just don’t wanna pay for a VPN so I was ent that way, although I wish I could watch footy classified and talking footy, both shows don’t turn up on the Fox app.
You can buy VPN very cheaply when on special. Mine was about $50 for 3 years.

It means when in oz I can watch content from England, usa etc...like say BBC shows.

When overseas I can use Kayo ( my current deal is two months for $5) as well as live Australian tv and anything on their streaming channels, like SBS as well Netflix, etc etc.

Watch Afl is good if you only want afl. As I already had VPN it means that for me it only costs me $5 to watch every St Kilda game the 6 weeks I am in Europe. Watch afl would have cost me two months at $33 each.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintadamski
Club Player

samoht wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 2:04pm I keep repeating in the hope that it gets through, BarryGrogan - and to drown out the "it's all the coach's fault" cacophony/rubbish. (but it's my last post on this thread)

What difference does it make whether we have tried to recruit the 5 quality midfielders you mentioned .. it doesn't alter the fact that we've failed year after year (over the last 12 years) to recruit/poach/land quality A graders for whatever reason and have therefore not been able to improve our list quality in this way (whereas teams like the Hawks have).

Our coach - even with the help of his able assistants - can't just wave a magic wand and turn our C graders into stars with elite skills, and/or develop game plans so superior to those of the opposition coaches that would overcome our list deficiencies.

And just because they can't land the big fish, does this give our recruiters the right to keep adding more and more average half back flankers, average ruckmen, average smalls, and average inside midfielders until we burst at the seams and until we max out our salary cap on list cloggers ?

What's false, BarryGrogan? - we've sacked a dozen or so coaches in a row since Alan Jeans (and one left before they got the chop) and serially blamed them all! This is a fact.
We have the lowest ranked midfield. This is a fact (especially with Steven missing).
Our scattergun recruiting approach and our penchant for adding list cloggers continues unabated - also a fact
We've nevertheless won almost half our games so far this year - also a fact.

What's myth is the false and unrealistic expectation that a new or the next coach will solve it all -- we have a dozen of sacked coaches in a row that would vouch for that.
There's got to be something more to it and something else going wrong/on - and there is.
Samoht, I couldn't agree more....

To the 'it's all the coaches fault' crew.... the way they think is...the moment any guy puts on the jumper, that player is automatically elevated to the realm of gods, with every awful performance discounted as an outlier.... their 'true potential' simmering, patiently in wait for years... to suddenly explode into an eruption of unstoppable football magic.... kept dormant and oppressed by the coach of the day.

Enough...

This is the reason why Newnes and co can continue year, year out, with pure ineptitude... because all they have to do is wear the red white and black....and thus become immune to reality itself.

I get it though...we are all so passionate about our dearest St Kilda, we project adoration, and more importantly, hope, onto every player that dons our jumper.

Newnes ... not the coach (although he keeps selecting him)
Joyce.... not the coach
Patton... not the coach
Sinclair.... not the coach
Ross... not the coach
Kent.... not the coach
Coffield...not the coach
Phillips.... not the coach

And the list goes on...C grader after C grader

What utterly woeful recruitment

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Yes, if players just aren’t that good, no one can yield a magic spell and make them A-graders.

But, how do we know if it’s poor development, or that they’re not that good, or even a combo? I guess we won’t know unless the likes of Sinclair, Acres and Ross get traded.

Either way, this is Richo’s sixth season and this rebuild has clearly flopped. Richo’s strongpoint was supposed to be his knack to foster and develop youth and he has yet to show any evidence he can do that.

He was given a fair crack at this rebuild, he shouldn’t be overseeing another.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think many are under the illusion that ours is a great list.

But nor is it as bad as some seem to think. It’s a good enough list to get plenty of the ball and plenty of chances to win plenty of matches.

Our problem is - and has been for some time - applying scoreboard pressure. Getting reward for effort. Kicking winning scores.

It’s not just about kicking accuracy either. Our forward line is almost always crowded and our opponents is wide open. It means almost every scoring opportunity we have is won under great pressure or kicked under great pressure.

I think we need another tall target to take some heat off Bruce and Membrey (who is not quite a key forward). Just as importantly, we need to give these guys some space to operate in.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

samoht wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 11:18am

Who are the inferior teams?
We have the lowest ranked midfield! And that’s with Steven in it.

Despite having the lowest ranked midfield, we have still won nearly half our games this year.
We are ranked poorly, because we perform poorly. We perform poorly, because we are coached terribly.

As I've said, Ross is a borderline A-Grade defensive midfielder - but he's a C-Grade offensive midfielder.

Guess what he used to be, and guess what Richo has turned him into?

Geary is an A-Grade small defender.

He's a D-Grade running back. Guess what Richo has been playing him as?

McCartin was an A-Grade stay at home forward as a junior, but a D-Grade lead up forward.
Guess what Richo tried to make him?

Not only is his handking of individual players stifling them - the game style we have snuffs out any chance of individuals shining.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

samoht wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 2:04pm
Our coach - even with the help of his able assistants - can't just wave a magic wand and turn our C graders into stars with elite skills, and/or develop game plans so superior to those of the opposition coaches that would overcome our list deficiencies.

Carlton and North say hi.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 5:49pm

That made me laugh out loud, thanks.

I'm not saying our plight is all Richo's fault but I don't believe Richo is part of the answer. I can't imagine Scott Watters still being our coach or Blight or Thomas. If coach's didn't get sacked Bevo would not be a premiership coach & I'm not a 100% sure the Tiges would have won a flag with Frawley or Wallace still at the helm.

Six years is long enough to tread water. Buckley and Hardwick both offered some hope which is why they have kept their jobs.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 6:07pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 5:49pm

That made me laugh out loud, thanks.

I'm not saying our plight is all Richo's fault but I don't believe Richo is part of the answer. I can't imagine Scott Watters still being our coach or Blight or Thomas. If coach's didn't get sacked Bevo would not be a premiership coach & I'm not a 100% sure the Tiges would have won a flag with Frawley or Wallace still at the helm.

Six years is long enough to tread water. Buckley and Hardwick both offered some hope which is why they have kept their jobs.
Totally agree.

It may not be ALL his fault. But I have seen absolutely zero evidence in 6 years to suggest that he's in any way capable of turning things around.

Same list at Carlton today - completely difference performance.

Ditto North.
Last edited by BarryGrogan on Sat 08 Jun 2019 6:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Game finished last week.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Ah Ted, but the ripples.....

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Apologies Ted, I was not aware threads had expiry dates.

For the record & accuracy, the match was finished prior to half time last week.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Newnes - demonstrated is capable of good games, has a great attitude and after 4-5 years of being played constantly... we’re yet to find his primary position
Poor coaching

Ross - clearly capable of being an A-Grade player... played a half season of near elite football... has all the tools. We don’t exploit his strengths and don’t protect/cover his weaknesses
Bad coaching

Sinclair - played his best football as a FP and at times flanker. We won’t him to be an outside mid... hasn’t worked
Bad coaching

Bruce- best season was as a forward... struggled more and more as he went into the ruck and up ground. We send him up ground more and more and haven’t found another key forward to support him.
Poor coaching

Paddy - contested marking and goal kicking worsened over time. Bad marking technique developed, didn’t appear to know how to protect his head
Bad coaching

Acres - is most exciting when in the middle. Can’t get in the square unless in the ruck...
Bad coaching

I think there’s enough there to suggest the coach has a part to play in our stagnating development