Pick 14

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ripplug66
Club Player

Re: Pick 14

skeptic wrote:
samoht wrote:re: outside vs inside midfielder argument.

I still return to the 2009 GF when we had to leave Armitage out of the side, because we already had Ball as the inside midfielder. Which demonstrates to me that there is only room for so many (inside midfielders/players) in the side - which suggests that we may have already overdone it with the inside midfielders, unless we think that Ross and Dunstan are not going to make it. Have we wasted those picks - and it's back to the drawing board? I wouldn't have thought so.
The 09 GF is a bad example.

Remember we chose a then unproven Dempster to be forward pressure, push into the midfield guy...

Armo wasn't played becuase the coach didn't like/rate him

He rated him the year before when in his second year he played 12 games when we made the finals.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

It's not that RL didn't rate Armitage - it's just that he couldn't fit him and Ball in the GF side.

I remember Brereton commenting (on the radio) that we should select Armitage instead of Ball, before the 2009 GF side was announced.
So Brereton also saw it as an either/or - that one of them had to be left out, as they play a similar inside game.

If we're targeting a midfielder at pick 14 - I hope we recruit the best midfielder available who has shown (even at U-18 level) that they have an outside game in their repertoire -
otherwise I'd consider it bad recruiting.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

It would be great if we could just find someone who kicks it to a team mate consistently. This year, almost without exception, we showed great endeavour but our skills were woeful. Both Gresham and Tucker already kick the ball to AFL standard, let's just nab one of them.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hemi Baxter wrote:It would be great if we could just find someone who kicks it to a team mate consistently. This year, almost without exception, we showed great endeavour but our skills were woeful. Both Gresham and Tucker already kick the ball to AFL standard, let's just nab one of them.
Last thing we need is another bloke who is hard at it but cant kick. Must put heavy weighting on kicking. This is why I lean toward Tucker.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm leaning, somewhat surprisingly, towards Kieran Collins. If there's no obvious sliders from the top 12.

Getting bookends isn't easy, and if we get him, that's FB sorted for the next ten years. Throw in Carlisle and Goddard and we've got three big, crushing defenders who have lots of footy ahead of them.

He wasn't my first choice for that pick a month ago, or even a few weeks ago, but, in terms of value, he might be quite difficult to pass up.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

ripplug66
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:I'm leaning, somewhat surprisingly, towards Kieran Collins. If there's no obvious sliders from the top 12.

Getting bookends isn't easy, and if we get him, that's FB sorted for the next ten years. Throw in Carlisle and Goddard and we've got three big, crushing defenders who have lots of footy ahead of them.

He wasn't my first choice for that pick a month ago, or even a few weeks ago, but, in terms of value, he might be quite difficult to pass up.

Just having this convo on BF but why do we need 3 tall backs. If anything sides are using less and less tall forwards. What we do need is medium and small backs. 2 tall backs is plenty based on how other sides set up their forward line. And if you doubt sides are using less and less tall forwards just look at the leading goalkickers in the last year or two.

I honestly don't see how a third genuine tall plays in our backline unless footy changes and the only changes ive seen in the last few years is the use of more and more medium and small forwards who can lead up and mark the ball.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:I'm leaning, somewhat surprisingly, towards Kieran Collins. If there's no obvious sliders from the top 12.

Just having this convo on BF but why do we need 3 tall backs. If anything sides are using less and less tall forwards.
Know the theory, but I'd rather be well-stocked with top-liners in KPP roles than using stop-gaps (PS: Hawthorn seemed to function well with three tall forwards).

Carlisle and Goddard CAN go forward, which means they're also valuble options in attack if we're too tall in defence. I don't propose playing all three there at the same time.

Though Collins himself is not versatile, he frees others up to be versatile, and, when you factor in the above pair's ability in attack, and that injuries can cruel any September campaign, he could be an excellent addition.

I'm usually a 100-per cent "best available" for this selection, but I'm not sure there will be many who are actually better than Collins still left.

Don't get me wrong, hopefully we see a massive slider or two, but it's pretty unlikely. The top 10 seems relatively settled, the next five seem clear-ish, and the 15-25 crowd seem like a bag of mixed lollies before the whole thing thins right out.

No complaints about Darcy Tucker if we take him, however.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

ripplug66
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Just having this convo on BF but why do we need 3 tall backs. If anything sides are using less and less tall forwards.
Know the theory, but I'd rather be well-stocked with top-liners in KPP roles than using stop-gaps.

Carlisle and Goddard CAN go forward, which means they're also valuble options in attack if we're too tall in defence.

Though Collins himself is not versatile, he frees others up to be versatile, and, when you factor in the above pair's ability in attack, and that injuries can cruel any September campaign, he could be an excellent addition.

I'm usually a 100-per cent "best available" for this selection, but I'm not sure there will be many who are actually better than Collins still left.

Don't get me wrong, hopefully we see a massive slider or two, but it's pretty unlikely. The top 10 seems relatively settled, the next five seem clear-ish, and the 15-25 crowd seem like a bag of mixed lollies before the whole thing thins right out.
Yes everyone says so and so can go forward but we also have plenty of tall forwards, actually too many if Hickey plays as a forward, which I doubt he is capable of. We got carlisle as a back so I hope we aren't falling for the trap of putting him forward. And I know mids get up and running quicker than talls but if we don't get some soon and tall backs and forwards will look very ordinary if either the ball doesn't come forward quick enough or comes down too quickly for the backs. I also cant see Collins playing at all apart from injury and poor form for at least a year if not 2 because I don't see a spot. I do see many spots for mids and yes I know its over the long haul but we still want to see these guys play a bit early.

I certainly want the best available but I want the best available mid.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Balic looks good.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrija_Balić

And he is local which makes him a better player.
Was chatting to a recent AFL drafted player's sister yesterday who said the club recruiters like to have dinner with the prospective draftee's whole family to really get to know the player. I hope our club does this - you'd get a good insight that way

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
joeyjohnw
Club Player

Gresham!!!! Holy jesus

the dome
Club Player

# 14 J. GRESHAM

GRESHAM INTO SAINTS MIDFIELD :D

jaxons
Club Player

silverhalo wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Balic looks good.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrija_Balić
I would take Tucker over Balic to be honest.

Hey Jaxons, do you have any insights for us?

Sorry I posted in the wrong thread but gave you the scoop earlier today before draft!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89978&start=25

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:It's not that RL didn't rate Armitage - it's just that he couldn't fit him and Ball in the GF side.

I remember Brereton commenting (on the radio) that we should select Armitage instead of Ball, before the 2009 GF side was announced.
So Brereton also saw it as an either/or - that one of them had to be left out, as they play a similar inside game.

If we're targeting a midfielder at pick 14 - I hope we recruit the best midfielder available who has shown (even at U-18 level) that they have an outside game in their repertoire -
otherwise I'd consider it bad recruiting.
I respectfully disagree RE Ball