Match Thread Saints v Dockers Round 3 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Dockers Round 3 2019

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:10pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:01pm see what I mean? this thread, which is an important one about a really good game that was played tonight has been hijacked by a couple of morons who want to debate the machinations of racism. This forum is .... in dire straights

pm each other...better still visit each other..give us a break
Not having the courage to call out rasism makes forums weak. Do you call it out when you see it?
Exactly. S**t needs to be called out. No more worrying about making the racists feel uncomfortable.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:10pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:01pm see what I mean? this thread, which is an important one about a really good game that was played tonight has been hijacked by a couple of morons who want to debate the machinations of racism. This forum is .... in dire straights

Not having the courage to call out rasism makes forums weak. Do you call it out when you see it?
how much courage can you muster on a forum ? really? gimme a break... as I said take into another room and leave the forum for those that want to talk about the game .

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I disagrre - it was not a good game - we were poor today and some players need a reality check

Sinclair 9 handballs zero kicks

Is Acres playing injured again?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 9:58pm
Devilhead wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 9:51pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 9:37pm
Devilhead wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 9:24pm
The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 9:19pm
fugazi wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 9:13pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 9:08pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 8:44pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 8:34pm Brandon Matera of all players.

He is a hack
Hack Aborigines have always been our undoing!
Lovett anyone?

There isn't a more gutless and piss weak type of person exist than a scumbag bottom feeding lowlife racist that makes cheap racist shots from behind an anonymous social media account.

Yep, not a great post, mate. Have a think about it, before you press "submit"
just a stupid post and i'm not talking about any racist slant....we have had some magnificent aboriginal players. just an idiot post.
Sorry is it racist cause he used the word aboriginal or is racist because he said one was a hack?
Ask yourself why the race of a player needs to be mentioned at all and then break it down from there to see if you can work it out yourelf.
We always talk about our indigenous players as being indigenous or of Aboriginal origin

We talk about Winmar as being one the greatest indigenous/aboriginal players to have played the game

No one bats an eyelid then when we categorize him as being Indigenous or Aboriginal

So its ok one way but not the other way?
Absolutely context can come into play, however racism can be easily spotted in any context if you aren't a racist, are you having trouble with the context?

I agree racism is disgusting. I can not tell context perfectly because it's a single comment on a forum thread. It does not read well though. Not what we want on this forum.
Last edited by SAINT-LEE on Tue 09 Apr 2019 7:22pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:14pm

I disagrre - it was not a good game - we were poor today and some players need a reality check

talking footy...awesome...but it was a good game :)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:15pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 9:58pm
Devilhead wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 9:51pm

He is a hack
Lovett anyone?

There isn't a more gutless and piss weak type of person exist than a scumbag bottom feeding lowlife racist that makes cheap racist shots from behind an anonymous social media account.

just a stupid post and i'm not talking about any racist slant....we have had some magnificent aboriginal players. just an idiot post.
Sorry is it racist cause he used the word aboriginal or is racist because he said one was a hack?
Ask yourself why the race of a player needs to be mentioned at all and then break it down from there to see if you can work it out yourelf.
We always talk about our indigenous players as being indigenous or of Aboriginal origin

We talk about Winmar as being one the greatest indigenous/aboriginal players to have played the game

No one bats an eyelid then when we categorize him as being Indigenous or Aboriginal

So its ok one way but not the other way?
Absolutely context can come into play, however racism can be easily spotted in any context if you aren't a racist, are you having trouble with the context?

I agree racism is disgusting. I can not tell context perfectly because it's a single comment on a forum thread. It does not read well though. Not what we want on this forum.

But what kind of gutless scum thinks a racist is the worst person over a pedophile or a rapist or a murderer or a genocidal dictator?

Did that read in context mate? Talk about a keyboard warrior....
Oh dear. How embarrassing for you.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 9:21pm I'm happy with this game..I no longer think we will get the spoon. next year, new coach...upward.
That is one way of looking at it. Here is another: today we could've and should have won. We got off to yet another slow start interstate against a team not that much better than us at the moment. We had chances to get level with them, but squandered opportunities again. We only could manage a woeful 9 goals against a team who finished 14th last year on a perfect day for football. This was an important game for us to win because it could be a very long time before we salute again - this was our BIG CHANCE. Richardson is no rookie coach anymore - in fact in the next three weeks he will become our third longest serving coach in our 136 year history.
In the next six weeks in order we play last year's finalists one after the other, after the other, and based on our injuries and unlikelyhood of several of our important players playing again this season, this game today had to be won for team morale.
From next week on we play:
Hawthorn at Marvel - we've beaten them once in ten years.
Melbourne at the MCG - 3rd last year
Adelaide Crows at Marvel - we've lost to them 8 times in a row going back to 2011
GWS in Western Sydney
West Coast Eagles at Marvel - we've beaten them once since 2011.
Collingwood at the MCG
Then our next realistic chance of a win against the Blues at Marvel.
We will probably be three wins from ten games. Winning today was imperative, especially if Richo values his job, and if a few of our younger players want to stay in the seniors, and have an AFL career.
I am very disappointed because we lost an opportunity today. And we lost it in much the same way as we have been losing since 2014. Not converting and not kicking to the advantage of our forwards when kicking into forward 50. By now those two problems should have been ironed out of our game, especially by the players who have been with the club since then.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:33pm, edited 2 times in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:17pm

Meh ..... we lost against a team who had 16 shots at goal - only one set of supporters would have thought it was a good game

4pts lost we should be 3 zip

A few changes should be made next week

Steven in - out Sinclair

Long in for Kent or Lonie

Don't want Acres dropped but the coach needs to work out where best to play him ....... and it's not as a 2nd ruck

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Not really interested in prolonging this S...fight.
Will explain what I meant and leave it at that.
During the Lyon era we always struggled against Essendon and in particular their faster type Aboriginal players of which Lovett was a memorable example (2007 and 2009).
I don't reckon Lovett was a great player but he certainly gave us heaps in those two games.
What I was trying to say is that they needn't be Adam Goodes or Michael Long to do us over!
If that's racist I will go live in a cave so as not to offend anyone!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sam...most of us didn't expect the wins we already have..me one of them. I was impressed by our endeavor tonight..with J Steven in we would have won..(i believe) of course our chances of winning any future games this season are slim..but I actually see light at the end of the tunnel for the first time in a long time. new coach next year and we will rise, happy with tonight.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:28pm

Meh ..... we lost against a team who had 16 shots at goal - only one set of supporters would have thought it was a good game

Steven in - out Sinclair

Don't want Acres dropped but the coach needs to work out where best to play him ....... and it's not as a 2nd ruck
Long has to play!!!!!

Steven in for Clark, not there yet!!!!!

Young for Parker, stop getting ahead of yourself son!!!!!

Sinclair, shocking!!!!!!

Need help for Marshall, start him as deep forward, play Peirce or Longer!!!!!

Skunky and Bruce need a bigger body down there!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:32pm Sam...most of us didn't expect the wins we already have..me one of them. I was impressed by our endeavor tonight..with J Steven in we would have won..(i believe) of course our chances of winning any future games this season are slim..but I actually see light at the end of the tunnel for the first time in a long time. new coach next year and we will rise, happy with tonight.
Can't fault the endeavor - but where was it in the first quarter, and in the first half of the second.
I agree that I would prefer us to have a go and at least go down swinging, but I believed that we would win today, because I honestly believe that we have a reasonable side. What we lacked, and what Fremantle had - was leaders. Lyon outcoached Richo tonight, and then we allowed Freo to play keepings off through poor disposal into the forward line, and not taking our chances when it did reach our forwards.

Now, I can't speak for everyone on here, but when we have another narrow loss to Hawthorn next week, and then the hidings start in a few weeks when we start playing sides like the Eagles and the Crows, I could've at least been happy with the fact that we'd won a few games, but throwing one away today means that we are highly likely to lose seven matches on the trot and therefore any momentum we could've earned today.

I believe that we threw away a golden opportunity today by only kicking 9 lousy goals in perfect conditions against a side we had on the ropes. I think Lyon completely schooled Richo again, and we played dumb football which allowed it to happen. Who else would allow us to continually win the ruck contests but lose twelve out of fifteen centre clearances? Effectively allowing the other team to get a leg up all day. I'm speechless.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:36pm

Steven in - out Sinclair

Long has to play!!!!!

Sinclair, shocking!!!!!!

Has he’ll frozen over because we’re in fierce agreement... though I’d keep playing Clark. Needs the experience

stonecold
SS Life Member

*Hell!!!!!
👍

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:36pm

Steven in - out Sinclair

Long has to play!!!!!

Sinclair, shocking!!!!!!

yep

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

They took most of their half chances, if not all of them and we took none of ours. That was the difference! We need a Walters type of player.

Roma could have used a chop out, but adding a 2nd ruckman to our forward line will mess with the structure which is going great. Battle is the one we need up there.

Jack Billings had a poor 1st quarter and looked in for a dirty day, but he worked himself back into it and was magnificent. Best game he has played for us, he's playing with a hardness we haven't seen before. He's a gun and will get better.

Bloody annoying that we coughed up the points, should have banked another four. Aside from that there is plenty to be enthused about. Add Carlisle and Hannebery and we're looking really good.

Don't assume the Coach is going anywhere.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:29pm Not really interested in prolonging this S...fight.
During the Lyon era we always struggled against Essendon and in particular their faster type Aboriginal players of which Lovett was a memorable example (2007 and 2009).
I don't reckon Lovett was a great player but he certainly gave us heaps in those two games.
What I was trying to say is that they needn't be Adam Goodes or Michael Long to do us over!
OPEN MODERATION:

I accept what Whiskers writes above as it fits in terms of the context of the original post where Brandon Matera was called a "hack" and Whiskers clumsily made the point that Brandon was not the first "hack" player of aboriginal descent to tear us apart. Why his ethnicity or race needed to be included by Whiskers (by the way Matera is also Italian) shows some form of desire by him to differentiate footballers by their ethnicity / race, however I think it is a leap to then claim that this was a blatant racist remark.

We cannot and shouldn't take words like "hack aboriginal" in isolation and automatically call it racist.

In context he was talking about that even the non super star aboriginal players have torn us apart - not just the super star players.

Having excused Whiskers, I am also excusing Cairnsman who may have read the original post by Whiskers as meaning that all aboriginal players are hacks ... and went on a ban worthy vicious attack on Whiskers in a follow up post.

Nether post will be punished.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 11:11pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 07 Apr 2019 10:29pm Not really interested in prolonging this S...fight.
Why his ethnicity or race needed to be included by Whiskers (by the way Matera is also Italian) shows some form of desire by him to differentiate footballers by their ethnicity / race, however I think it is a leap to then claim that this was a blatant racist remark.
No offence...but in my opinion there are a lot of rednecks and racists that can't help themselves

As per my initial post. Some indigenous people would perceive that he was highlighting their heritage in a negative manner. Righltly or wrongly, the lesson here should be that you just talk about their attributes rather than whether they are Italian or indigenous

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i do like this ‘open moderation’ thingy

has an expansive , inclusive feel with prospects

... better than the repressive , regressive ‘n foundationally aggressive my way or the highway approach

re the other issue

gentle

it’s an education process
(everything , is teach/learn)

so as above

keep it ‘inclusive’
... which is what those who choose to be offended by
by intentional or unintentional commentary of a racist possibility actually desire

love
your token aboriginal
(on mum’s side , all the way back to the 1st wavers)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

and i’d like to add to that

when we don’t , keep it ‘inclusive’

we are becoming , what we fight

the sword is double edged

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

12.9 we win

9.12 we lost

Many of our shots were quite gettable in very good conditions.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

He is a hack
Lovett anyone?

Good on you for calling it out Cairnsman.

Also, thanks Devilhead - your loaded questioning and difficulties understanding helps me to know what I'm dealing with when you post now.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Mon 08 Apr 2019 1:38pm

He is a hack
Lovett anyone?

Good on you for calling it out Cairnsman.

Also, thanks Devilhead - your loaded questioning and difficulties understanding helps me to know what I'm dealing with when you post now.
Yet you have no idea who I am, what I look like, where I live let alone have you even met me

So nice way to go about judging someone - you seem to have a gift

Looking forward to the Flames smoking your soft Avalanche snowflakes

Go Saints!! :twisted:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I know where you live Devil - and I see your work

Seeya
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Just like the AFL were way too slow to react to the Adam Goodes situation because they didn't understand the situation, an opportunity to moderate this thread appropriately has been missed.