Roughead could do for Saints what Hodge has done for Lions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: Roughead could do for Saints what Hodge has done for Lions

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 10:59am
freely wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 9:59am It all sounds a bit nothing, doesn't it. Like the Slater appointment or even Hannebery to be honest (though hopefully something good comes of that in the end). Can't land a big fish into the playing group so land what would have been a big fish if you'd caught it 10 years ago!
He would be the kind of bloke someone who has coached (recently and whom likes the cut of his Jib) has requested to join. Someone like Brett Ratten would have requested this.

Yes, it does smack of jobs for the boys, but in reality what Roughy brings is 'in your face' honesty, the no bullshyte kind of stuff. I suspect that he might have helped turn the careers of not just a few players around at the Hawks.

Fantastic for us and thank you Saints, another step in the change-up from the last 6 years. And for mine, Roughy wouldn't have been interested if it had no substance to it. This could be considered to be a master stroke in the next 6 years, who knows?
And I might add too, that every successful person that comes in to contact with our young blokes will have a most positive and important effect. They are all people coaches, from Billy last year, to Roughy next and beyond

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
barneyboyz
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 11:04am
freely wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 9:59am It all sounds a bit nothing, doesn't it. Like the Slater appointment or even Hannebery to be honest (though hopefully something good comes of that in the end). Can't land a big fish into the playing group so land what would have been a big fish if you'd caught it 10 years ago!
He would be the kind of bloke someone who has coached (recently and whom likes the cut of his Jib) has requested to join. Someone like Brett Ratten would have requested this.

Yes, it does smack of jobs for the boys, but in reality what Roughy brings is 'in your face' honesty, the no bullshyte kind of stuff. I suspect that he might have helped turn the careers of not just a few players around at the Hawks.

Fantastic for us and thank you Saints, another step in the change-up from the last 6 years. And for mine, Roughy wouldn't have been interested if it had no substance to it. This could be considered to be a master stroke in the next 6 years, who knows?
And I might add too, that every successful person that comes in to contact with our young blokes will have a most positive and important effect. They are all people coaches, from Billy last year, to Roughy next and beyond
And, sorry Freely, that's not meant as a rant against your post

freely
SS Hall of Fame

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 11:16am
barneyboyz wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 11:04am

And, sorry Freely, that's not meant as a rant against your post
No probs - I hope you're right.

Sanctorum
Club Player

OK, so the consensus is that Roughead is no longer capable of playing at the elite level - nonetheless I would argue that if he were able to play another year, his value to contribute to the improvement of St Kilda's young talent would be so much greater than providing this support off-field. He is a really inspirational player and like Luke Hodge would give the team a winning edge, especially in close games.

I would not be at all surprised if during the pre-season the adrenaline kicks in and he decides to pull the boots back on, here's hoping!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Roughy will be playing Centre Half Bench.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
barneyboyz
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 11:23am OK, so the consensus is that Roughead is no longer capable of playing at the elite level - nonetheless I would argue that if he were able to play another year, his value to contribute to the improvement of St Kilda's young talent would be so much greater than providing this support off-field. He is a really inspirational player and like Luke Hodge would give the team a winning edge, especially in close games.

I would not be at all surprised if during the pre-season the adrenaline kicks in and he decides to pull the boots back on, here's hoping!
How would we fit him into next years forward line? especially if Battle goes back forward, as has also been discussed here. I like the idea though

Sanctorum
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 11:30am
How would we fit him into next years forward line? especially if Battle goes back forward, as has also been discussed here. I like the idea though
Roughead can pretty well play in either defence or attack, if for example Carlisle is traded away he would be a rock in the backline, and of course pinch hit in the ruck, he is a great old fashioned "follower".

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
barneyboyz
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 11:43am
barneyboyz wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 11:30am
Roughead can pretty well play in either defence or attack, if for example Carlisle is traded away he would be a rock in the backline, and of course pinch hit in the ruck, he is a great old fashioned "follower".
Would have been great for Paddy a couple of years ago. Hang on, I'm getting sad now :(

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'd rather have Roughead on the field next year than off it.

Reckon he's got more to offer St K/Sandy in that space for the next 12 months.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 3:41pm You can't disguise Dick head :)

<1 day ban for commenting negatively on a poster>

POSTER INTERACTION RULE

Vigorous debate and even some friendly banter on St. Kilda Football Club matters is encouraged on the Saintsational Fan Forum, as long as respect is shown for every poster and all opinions.

No matter how much you may disagree, or dismiss the worth of any opinion posted, or dismiss the worth of the poster in your own eyes, your response must be always be respectful and polite. Argue the facts. Post an opposing opinion. However ONLY make football related commentary on the football content. Do NOT ever make any form of negative commentary about posters or posters.

Any post that negatively relates to or references, or baits (directly or indirectly) another poster, or posters, or group of posters in the Saintsational Fan Forum or leads to bickering to the level of an ongoing dispute, will be deemed a breach of rules and the penalty will be either a 1 DAY BAN or 1 WEEK BAN.
bit perplexed..exactly who was I negative to ? A permanently banned poster ?

The poster who reported me shouldn't be here.