WTF Young and Long IN!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

Re: WTF Young and Long IN!!

The problem is that Long, Kent, Young and in away Parker are all similar players and none of them can do a stint in the midfield.
Then Bruce will double up in the ruck. How many years has that not worked.
We have a terrible history with these stupid games in other countries.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
twirlyhair
Club Player

Special wrote: Fri 31 May 2019 7:20pm
twirlyhair wrote: Fri 31 May 2019 6:44pm
Special wrote: Fri 31 May 2019 6:11pm Young was useless last week and is gifted a game. Clueless again after the Long tokenism last week.

And Long didn’t do much to warrant selection either.

Onya bike Richo, I’ve had a gutful of the selection crap
WTF most appropriately applies to the over the top reaction of the poster.

Long was not our worst and is a big part of our future. Young was quiet but second game and showed alot in his first, so worth the faith I believe. Acres ill. Suggestions of tokenism is highly offensive.
Whatever twirlyhead. Everyone knows Longs form was really poor for Sandy. I feel sorry for you if you can’t see it was blatant tokenism. It’s friggin obvious buddy
Meh. Whatever rocks your boat special one. Unless you were at selection committee, no one could say don't you think? But you surely you would know the details of the conversation amongst the group of men sitting at that table that night? I guess thats what makes you special! Super powers!

SuperDuper
Club Player

There really is no selection integrity at the club.
And that will have a corrosive effect on the playing group

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Playing HFF or anywhere on the forward line makes it near impossible to string together a sequence of good individual performances (S Milne a notable exception). It is even more difficult as the way the game is played these days is more defence than attack. In particular, small forwards and flankers have to make the most of any opportunity that comes there way. Last week, there were too few entries into our forward 50 and - to their credit - Carlton players made sure they got back in numbers to prevent opportunities for our players.

Tell me if I am wrong, but every match I watch seems to be played in a similar vein.

So, St Kilda's coach is considered an idiot for understanding what is the bleeding obvious and not dropping a third of the team every week. After a match that we won!

An old mate once said to me "you can't educate mugs". No truer words have ever been spoken.

Saint supporter since '62
twirlyhair
Club Player

SuperDuper wrote: Fri 31 May 2019 11:15pm There really is no selection integrity at the club.
And that will have a corrosive effect on the playing group
Well clearly it's not. The players are playing with more vigour, endeavour and discipline than I have seen for quite a while.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 31 May 2019 6:50pm Where to start...what a NFI ridiculous thread.
You of all people telling someone else they have NFI....
Read it all now.
But you do you and continue with your Hannas and Shangas posts big fella 🤪

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 31 May 2019 11:45pm Playing HFF or anywhere on the forward line makes it near impossible to string together a sequence of good individual performances (S Milne a notable exception). It is even more difficult as the way the game is played these days is more defence than attack. In particular, small forwards and flankers have to make the most of any opportunity that comes there way. Last week, there were too few entries into our forward 50 and - to their credit - Carlton players made sure they got back in numbers to prevent opportunities for our players.

Tell me if I am wrong, but every match I watch seems to be played in a similar vein.

So, St Kilda's coach is considered an idiot for understanding what is the bleeding obvious and not dropping a third of the team every week. After a match that we won!

An old mate once said to me "you can't educate mugs". No truer words have ever been spoken.
Much of what you say is true. However.... Not many (some) have called the coach an idiot. Blind freddy could see that Robbie Young was out of his depth last week. It is true that the fwd line is far harder to play than anywhere else on the ground. You are dependent on supply, the flow of the game, not to mention you are virtually tagged week in week out. No-one lets a fwd run around doing what they want - as opposed to the midfield where quite often you could play a full game virtually unopposed.

However it's not the volume of possessions I myself am critical of. It's what's happening when the ball is in the area of these particular players. I don't think too many players in their embryonic stages of their career have been gifted a 3rd game like Young has. He was serviceable in his 1st game but worthy of a 2nd chance. @nd chance he was poor and 99% of players would return to the 2nds based on that.
Long has been poor in my view and by all accounts hasn't been much better in the VFL. He appears to be trying to increase his aggression, but from what I can tell all that has involved is some late hits and an increase in getting into scuffles on the ground. He seems rushed when he gets the ball and for every 'exciting' thing he does there's three other fumbles, missed targets or missed goals.
Parker is an interesting one. Certainly showed promise at the start of the year and provided a spark that we were missing on our fwd line. Certainly I prefer him to Wellar. However, last week aside, he too is struggling to have any sort of meaningful impact on a game. Many good mid size fwds only need 7-10 possessions to have an impact. Parker had been getting 5-6 and many were scrubby kicks. Last week he was far more effective and I think he deserves his spot.

I just reckon that Young and Long are being afforded far more opportunities than others have in the past. If they are only to get 5-6 possessions and rarely impact the scoreboard then I would expect that they make 4-5 fwd line tackles each. I'm not sure this is occurring.

stkfc1
Club Player

They need to be given definitive roles , either locking down one of their running defenders ( Long) or make damn sure your front and centre at the front of any marking pack (Young). They need to bring their A grade pressure game.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Fri 31 May 2019 10:44pm The problem is that Long, Kent, Young and in away Parker are all similar players and none of them can do a stint in the midfield.
Then Bruce will double up in the ruck. How many years has that not worked.
We have a terrible history with these stupid games in other countries.
You're right there and it isn't just other countries we stink it up in - even when we had home games in Launceston, Tasmania with one of the strongest teams we've ever had we were still terrible.
The club needs to ensure that if these games are sold for money that the team at least 'turns up turned on' on the day. If all of these interstate teams can do it there should be no reason why we can't. The club also owes us, the members, some hope, and winning this type of very winnable game tomorrow is a part of that.

Melbourne and Richmond have similar records with matches they have sold to "the colonies".

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Trev from the Bush wrote: Fri 31 May 2019 11:45pm Playing HFF or anywhere on the forward line makes it near impossible to string together a sequence of good individual performances (S Milne a notable exception). It is even more difficult as the way the game is played these days is more defence than attack. In particular, small forwards and flankers have to make the most of any opportunity that comes there way. Last week, there were too few entries into our forward 50 and - to their credit - Carlton players made sure they got back in numbers to prevent opportunities for our players.

Exactly. Very well said TFTB! It must be the clear air in the scrub that allows your noggin to work properly. 😄

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Exactly. Very well said TFTB! It must be the clear air in the scrub that allows your noggin to work properly. 😄

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

can't see how Long is getting a game.

Special
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sat 01 Jun 2019 10:29am can't see how Long is getting a game.
It’s because it’s Indigineous Round again. Goes for 2 weeks.

Explains also why Young got another game. Tokenism agaijbb

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote: Fri 31 May 2019 9:36pm Just as a matter of interest, how many games has selection cost us this year?

Can’t rhink of a single game of the top of my head.
Then the opposite of that must be true, how many games has selection won us?

In regards to Trev From The Bush, whilst I like the theme of what Trev says, I really hope the Saints don't see that win over Carlton as the benchmark.

If we genuinely think we cannot improve on last week's effort or have players at Sandy that can improve us we are treading water. If all of last week's side played to an acceptable level in the eyes of the selectors then there is a lack of selection integrity. I genuinely believe our best 22 by the end of 2019 and moving into the 2020's has 4 to 6 players running around at Sandy at the moment.

Perhaps I'm just impatient, maybe I'm wrong but can only defer to our club officials understanding that time will tell.

All the very best to any Saint playing in our seniors and that will always be the case. They have achieved one game more than me those talented, lucky bastards.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Not worried about Long, but how does Phillips hold his spot?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
axcellence
Club Player

Junior wrote: Fri 31 May 2019 9:36pm Just as a matter of interest, how many games has selection cost us this year?

Acres vs freo could have been dropped after a 12 disposal effort vs the bombers. The freo game got decided by a goal where Acres had 8 disposals.

older saint
SS Life Member

Newnes?
First 6 weeks good and had over 20 possessions each game ( possessions not everything i know)

Last 3 weeks:
Disposals - 15, 11,13 as a wingman
Tackles 3,4,2
1% ers- 2,0,1
Scores 1.2 total
Frees against 3, For 0
Contested possessions . First 7 games 57, last 3 weeks 14 , last week 2

falling back into 2018 form and old habits as knows he is safe week in week out.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Special wrote: Sat 01 Jun 2019 11:40am
The Fireman wrote: Sat 01 Jun 2019 10:29am can't see how Long is getting a game.

Seriously... 😳😳😳

Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

No. It's because we are playing in China

Our friends and hosts Wung, Xing, and Hong are velly happy to have the player Yung and the player Long in the side

Velly dissapointed the player Lice is missing

Actually the above is nearly as ridiculous as the posts from those quoted :wink:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 01 Jun 2019 11:48am

Then the opposite of that must be true, how many games has selection won us?

In regards to Trev From The Bush, whilst I like the theme of what Trev says, I really hope the Saints don't see that win over Carlton as the benchmark.

If we genuinely think we cannot improve on last week's effort or have players at Sandy that can improve us we are treading water. If all of last week's side played to an acceptable level in the eyes of the selectors then there is a lack of selection integrity. I genuinely believe our best 22 by the end of 2019 and moving into the 2020's has 4 to 6 players running around at Sandy at the moment.

Perhaps I'm just impatient, maybe I'm wrong but can only defer to our club officials understanding that time will tell.

All the very best to any Saint playing in our seniors and that will always be the case. They have achieved one game more than me those talented, lucky bastards.
Out of interest can you name those 4 to 6 players running around at Sandy?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Young sick now too apparently. Parker posted something about it on social media. He is probably in doubt for tomorrow's game.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 01 Jun 2019 3:45pm

No. It's because we are playing in China

Our friends and hosts Wung, Xing, and Hong are velly happy to have the player Yung and the player Long in the side

Velly dissapointed the player Lice is missing

Actually the above is nearly as ridiculous as the posts from those quoted :wink:
Lice? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Certainly can CQ, in no particular order...

Clark
Coffield
Clavarino
Langlands
White

King in 2020, maybe a late game or two this year.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 01 Jun 2019 11:57pm Certainly can CQ, in no particular order...

Clark
Coffield
Clavarino
Langlands
White

King in 2020, maybe a late game or two this year.
Interesting Ghost. Not completely unbelievable, but if Carlise, Webster, Lonie and Hannerbery all return, and remain fit, it seems that it might be a stretch for some of these guys. Clark and King seem logical, while the others might struggle for opportunities.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Young is there for his forward pressure.

Richo loves that s***.

As long as he's ticking whatever boxes Richo wants him to in that role (whatever the f*** they are!), he'll keep getting a game.