mmmmmm- Umpire Movement Rd 9

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: mmmmmm- Umpire Movement Rd 9

Hey Curly once you have finished with the rulebook there some else that might need to borrow it from you :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 1:31am How many of you have umpired a real game at any level?

I did one game for my mates in Frankfurt when we played Munich and got abused for over an hour. I really feel for the Umps as you will continuously piss off half of the people for the whole game.

People who yell at the Umpires (in any game) are missing the point. No umpires, no game. Look at yourselves.
Wow.

So you as ammo umpired a social game and you compare this to AFL?

Did you see Eleni in action?

I hope not, as she was beyond pathetic
Probably sponsored individually by nab as part of their dogooder campaign after the Royal Commission

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 1:31am How many of you have umpired a real game at any level?

I did one game for my mates in Frankfurt when we played Munich and got abused for over an hour. I really feel for the Umps as you will continuously piss off half of the people for the whole game.

People who yell at the Umpires (in any game) are missing the point. No umpires, no game. Look at yourselves.
That’ll teach you for agreeing to umpire a match for Curly :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I used to Umpire at junior level - I made mistakes - I owned my mistakes. At junior level you are always learning - particularly when the AFL change rules and they filter down ..... but ...... the umpiring on Sat was deplorable - and you let them know - we don't (or shouldn't) boo our own, but how do you reckon players feel getting a Bronx Cheer?

As previously mentioned - it is hard not to argue that in this case the umpires turned the tide of the game

I know that as Saint supporters we see St Kilda but it seems that most of the issues with decisions that have impacts on games or where the umpires admit they 'got it wrong' seem to be against us. Notable exception - spider man - 'monkey man' would have been more appropriate but not politically correct.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I've umpired numerous games at various levels. It's not hard and anything said by players or over the fence isn't personal. If I was getting paid the amount these umpires get people could yell and say what they liked to me.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 10:00pm Where’s the Dud?

Apparently it’s me that needs to learn the rules. I called both those disgusting calls at the time as a joke. Game winning mistakes.
Which particular decisions are they talking about, I can’t see any reference to them in the article? Also I never argued the Brown one.

And yes, you still need to learn the rules.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 10:30am

Apparently it’s me that needs to learn the rules. I called both those disgusting calls at the time as a joke. Game winning mistakes.
Which particular decisions are they talking about, I can’t see any reference to them in the article? Also I never argued the Brown one.

Clearly I don't. Or then again maybe it's only you that knows the rules and the entire umpires board is wrong.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 7:52pm Umpire movement
Eleni Glouftsis has become the latest field umpire to be dropped by the AFL in the wake of poor performances.

The Age understands Glouftsis will umpire in the VFL this week, following a string of poor decisions, including two crucial errors in the St Kilda versus West Coast clash last Saturday night, which resulted in two goals to the Eagles.
h
ttps://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/glouftsis-t ... 51nr8.html
Plus the two marks she took off our forwards. That's potentially 4 goals and the match.

spert
Saintsational Legend

There was one dodgy decision in front of goal for WCE that gave them a goal and I don't think any of us watching could see even a line-ball decision worth thinking about. I think the look of despair on N Brown's face said it all.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 2:17am After a couple of early shockers by her, I watched her closely for the whole game and believe she was blatantly biased against the Saints.

I am very pleased she has been dropped and her poor decisions have been recognised. Hopefully we don't see her again in a St KIlda match.
Amen brother, amen.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 10:30am

Posted by curly last monday. Clearly he knows the rules.

"

Post by CURLY » Mon 13 May 2:31 pm
"Prepare to be completely destroyed by the people in green as we play the AFL's number one franchise. After another lop sided free kick count in the first half v WC were the umpires just gifted the Eagles two goals from clear mistakes."

Well done curly mate.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Any person with a clue could see she clearly was looking for reasons to penalize StKilda.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 12:20pm Any person with a clue could see she clearly was looking for reasons to penalize StKilda.
Yep. She certainly was. Most maggots would have paid both those marks, not her though.

Hope she never gets another game. So not up to it.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 12:36pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 12:20pm Any person with a clue could see she clearly was looking for reasons to penalize StKilda.
Yep. She certainly was. Most maggots would have paid both those marks, not her though.

Yep, who cares if they were both clearly touched by others! Don’t they barrack for St Kilda?!?!

:)

King12
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 1:49pm
saynta wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 12:36pm

Yep, who cares if they were both clearly touched by others! Don’t they barrack for St Kilda?!?!

:)
Well, if she called them correctly, she wouldn't be doing VFL this week, would she. :roll:

Maybe you could go down there and support her again! ;)

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Deserved to be dropped.

That first half was pretty much as bad as it comes. I dont give a damn who the umpire was, but they paid some absolute howlers that DID have an outcome on the game. Despite any of the absolute drivel that gets posted here.

Cant wait for this weeks game when we have 30+ free kicks paid against us while we get maybe 7.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I am bemused when people argue umpires can't win or lose games. Ridiculous to think one team getting a team run doesn't influence a result.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely influences the result.

A lot easier to maintain effort if you are getting rewarded for it. Also very easy to lose that motivation if you repeatedly get penalised for actions that did not happen.

When you have so many matches where scores are around or below ten goals each, a two goal bonus in a half awarded by poor decisions has a massive bearing on the finish.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Swings and roundabouts.

Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn’t.

To bitch and moan when it doesn’t and then not say boo when it does gives you zero credibility on the subject.

I hope no one at the club subscribes to the “we’re actually good but the umps keep screwing us” mindset, which is a good way to go nowhere!

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Just admit we got stuffed over by the umps Dudley. They even admitted it themselves mate.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 9:58pm
Toy Saint wrote: Wed 15 May 2019 9:28pm At the risk of sounding like a sexist pig, I was very disappointed that all of the umpires chose not to bounce the ball last Saturday. I'm of the view that Eleni is unable to bounce the ball, and her colleagues chose not to show her up by also not bouncing the ball.
Seriously???? The turf in the middle of the ground was relayed and there was no way it was hard enough to bounce the ball - do you have any clue?

If you were at the ground you would have seen the umpires out there testing it before the game, if you have watched any replays, you would have heard them saying it - cheap shot at Eleni and women umpires.

There is a shop just outside of the city that you can get a clue - I suggest you visit it!!!

/end rant

However - I was one of the people at the game expressing my disappointment at her obvious mistakes and she had a shocker and firmly believe she changed the course of the game - however - it was not her fault that they balled up rather than bounce
I've seen Eleni bounce the ball in a VFL game that's not the problem. Also, if an Umpire is competent I couldn't care less if they don't bounce it well.

Unfortunately, she's not there on merit. This is the folly of quotas or corporate virtue signalling.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 3:36pm Swings and roundabouts.

To bitch and moan when it doesn’t and then not say boo when it does gives you zero credibility on the subject.

I hope no one at the club subscribes to the “we’re actually good but the umps keep screwing us” mindset, which is a good way to go nowhere!
We have had umpires admit twice this year they made mistakes in games. Both games we were the team on the wrong end of game deciding free kicks.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 3:43pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 3:36pm Swings and roundabouts.

We have had umpires admit twice this year they made mistakes in games. Both games we were the team on the wrong end of game deciding free kicks.
We cop the bad end of the stick sometimes because we aren't one of the big 4 Melb clubs.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

alrighty then
I can remember the holding free kick against wilkie and that was fair enough
but what was the other free kick that won the game for weagles?

Seeya
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 16 May 2019 4:14pm alrighty then
I can remember the holding free kick against wilkie and that was fair enough
but what was the other free kick that won the game for weagles?
Free to Oscar Allen and he goaled and the free to Sheed when Brown laid a fair tackle. Both were howlers.