Max King to play VFL in 2-3 weeks?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Max King to play VFL in 2-3 weeks?

BringBackMadDog wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 2:56pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 2:24pm Good ol’ St Kilda, loves a ‘project player’!

How many players from the last 3 national drafts are locked in our best 22? Battle? Maybe Parker?

Who needs players that come straight in and make an impact, having to wait 3 or 4 years makes it much more rewarding! :wink:
From this weeks team: Battle, Paton, Marshall (rookie), Long, Wilkie (rookie), Parker. nearly a 3rd of the team. But don't let facts get in the way of your constant whining
:D :wink:

Sorry Dud, but you are wrong.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Silly comment Dudley. Stop stirring the pot.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 3:03pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 2:24pm Good ol’ St Kilda, loves a ‘project player’!

How many players from the last 3 national drafts are locked in our best 22? Battle? Maybe Parker?

Who needs players that come straight in and make an impact, having to wait 3 or 4 years makes it much more rewarding! :wink:
From this weeks team: Battle, Paton, Marshall (rookie), Long, Wilkie (rookie), Parker. nearly a 3rd of the team. But don't let facts get in the way of your constant whining

Read again fellas! I said “locked in our best 22” and I wasn’t referring to the rookie draft (where we’ve gotten some good value).

Battle - prob locked in currently but would he be getting a game if Carlisle, Roberton and Paddy weren’t injured?

Long, Paton - both missed games this year thru not being selected, therefore obviously not locked in.

Parker - just doing enough to keep his spot I think atm, wouldn’t call him a lock.

Three top 10 picks in the last 2 years and we’re currently getting nothing from them (Clarke and Coffield certainly haven’t set the world on fire). Why do we never seem to pick up the gun who has an impact straight away? Heavens know we’ve had enough top ten and first round picks the last few years!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Crossy66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 7:05pm

Read again fellas! I said “locked in our best 22” and I wasn’t referring to the rookie draft (where we’ve gotten some good value).

Battle - prob locked in currently but would he be getting a game if Carlisle, Roberton and Paddy weren’t injured?

Long, Paton - both missed games this year thru not being selected, therefore obviously not locked in.

Parker - just doing enough to keep his spot I think atm, wouldn’t call him a lock.

Three top 10 picks in the last 2 years and we’re currently getting nothing from them (Clarke and Coffield certainly haven’t set the world on fire). Why do we never seem to pick up the gun who has an impact straight away? Heavens know we’ve had enough top ten and first round picks the last few years!
How many collingwood players would fit your criteria?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Long way to go for Max. But all the signs are good. Fingers crossed.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 7:25pm

Stephenson goes ok.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Crossy66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 8:03pm
Crossy66 wrote: Wed 24 Apr 2019 7:25pm

Stephenson goes ok.
One

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Let me guess Dudley, you’re a Geelong supporter.
...And every club has had a first round pick the last few years.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
ace
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 10:08pm
magnifisaint wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 10:06pm How does his brother compare to him?
Very similar.
Brother has signed the mandatory 2 year contract but most clubs want their first round picks to sign on for longer.
None of Gold Coast's first round picks (Lukosius, Rankine, Ben King, McLennan) have signed for longer than 2 years.
Ben will cost us our 2020 first rounder.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2019 12:48am
satchmo wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 10:08pm
magnifisaint wrote: Tue 23 Apr 2019 10:06pm How does his brother compare to him?
Very similar.
Brother has signed the mandatory 2 year contract but most clubs want their first round picks to sign on for longer.
None of Gold Coast's first round picks (Lukosius, Rankine, Ben King, McLennan) have signed for longer than 2 years.
Ben will cost us our 2020 first rounder.
If the jungle drums have any credibility and aren't relying on the NBN, and we somehow manage to secure Tomlinson, Martin and Jones. Our 2020 first rounder may not be too bad given a talented 200cm kid has had two years of AFL development.

Regarding Stephenson for Collingwood, I don't remember us overlooking him. I'd rather two quality kids like Clark & Coffield developing and learning what's required whilst the team is playing well. Both will get their chances and both will be in our 22 by season's end and both will be in our best 22 from 2020 and beyond. Clark will win multiple St Kilda B&Fs in my opinion.

To the top
SS Life Member

These kids are coming straight from an Under 18’s competition

Yes, if they are from SA or WA they MAY have already played Senior footy as 16 or 17 year olds but the normal is that they have come from the Under 18 Competitions

To expect them to immediately impact at Senior levels is unrealistic - and particularly when the demographic of the List is no class experience to provide leadership and cover

There are the exceptions

But they are the exceptions

Stronger Clubs will add to their education at the lower level being VFL or the State competition

Weaker Clubs look for a Messiah

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Will they be better than the Wanklens?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Would be happy if Max plays 2 or 3 senior games this season and 10-12 next year.

It would be a very rare +200cm beanpole coming off a knee reco that could offer any short term impact.

If he was playing senior footy and contributing by the 2021 season I’d think that a great outcome.

2022 and the ten years beyond will hopefully be his domain.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

That's probably an optimistic outlook Joffa

Most tall lanky blokes take a while to come on

Late in 2013 and early in 2014, Peter Wright was being talked about as the potential number 1 draft pick. He didn't light things up in the under 18's like another guy called Petracca

'2 metre Peter' ended up going at pick 10 if I recall correctly in the same draft where Paddy McCartin went number 1

Who knows if Peter goes on to be one of the best from that draft and perhaps one of the most important players at the Gold Coast over the next few years. It's taken him 5 preseasons to get to the point where he could possibly have a breakout year.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Lets hope Max King is good, we deliberately overlooked Rozzee who is already one of Ports best players.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, we've chosen a lanky bean pole with a crook knee. Oh yeah, we also chose a kid with a known back problem who can't play either, and an $800k per year mid who's struggled with injury for a couple of years.

At least they did well with the mature age guys.

King12
Club Player

Gee, doesn't take long on here for the locals to turn does it?

I'm only a newbie, but gee guys, it is only our 2and loss for the year.

It thought this would be a more positive experience tbh, oh well.

King12
Club Player

Gee, doesn't take long on here for the locals to turn does it?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

King12 wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 12:47am Gee, doesn't take long on here for the locals to turn does it?

We are vastly a better team than last year. But equally we still have a fair way to go to be a true contender.

This year however could also prove to vital in that all these injuries are going to get games into players like Battle, Parker, Wilkie, Paton etc who otherwise may have been starved for opportunity. Marshall may not ahve been thrown the opportunity to play as our No1 ruck, whereas now he looks set tp play most of the year there and this will allow him to really develop his game.

Meanwhile Clarke and the under-ager Coffield get more time to build their bodies and develop their tanks. Bytel and King should be right for 2020.

So while 2019 I find to be very exciting, 2020 I am now really, really, really looking forward to.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

King12 wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 12:47am Gee, doesn't take long on here for the locals to turn does it?

Welcome mate. It didn't take you very long to work it out. Lol. 😁

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.