Newnes - Free Agency Target

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Newnes - Free Agency Target

saintadamski wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 6:10pm Yeh you're right eat in or takeaway - Newnes is awesome, and fortunately for us , the future of the Saints...I'm already placing bets on his Norm Smith medal.

Oh and as for stats - http://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/ ... ewnes-Jack

riveting reading ...I love all of the 'below average' and 'average' grades

Another one of my contradictions to reality I'm sure...but if I squint hard enough, the words start blurring into 'elite'....but like I have to squint HARD and for ages! The weird thing is, after I did that, I had this real hankering for some takeaway....nah, I'll have it delivered
Ha. Are those the stats you use? Global across the board stats involving all players that don't really give any indication. Come on, you can do better than that. No wonder many of your posts are barking up the wrong tree. Try comparing career/age stats with similar players, ie utility mid,forward - say Shaun Higgins, hbf Shannon Hurn, anyone you think, even Dusty Martin at say age 24. You will find Newnes' stats are better than you think. Not that stats mean that much, football judgement gives a much better idea. Won't go into that with you though.

axcellence
Club Player

Would the saints get a 1st eound pick if he goes as a free agent?

If so, where’s the door?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

We would only get a 2nd rounder at a minimum for Newnes. Pick in the 20's. Depends on how he goes in 2019 though if he left through FA. He could then slip to 3rd round compo.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Newnes is in our top 10

realdeal
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 7:27pm Newnes is in our top 10
Top 10 what? Worst tacklers.. :?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Newnes isnt and probably wont be elite. He has quite a few faults but has obviously played to his strengths in a period of history for the club which has allowed an average footballer to scratch out a 100+ game career in AFL football w ou thout inproving much after 50 games.
Id offer him 1 year deals at a paycut rate and leave his fate in his own hands. If he gets a better offer elsewhere id consider matching it. If he re-signed and there was interest in a trade for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, Id take it. Simple as that.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I would not give up a pick in the 20s for Newnes

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Will be part of the trade for King.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 8:46pm Will be part of the trade for King.
Bernard King?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 8:10pm I would not give up a pick in the 20s for Newnes
I think 2nd/3rd round or 30-40 is about right for a top up player for a finals contender. He could fill an injury gap and give value forward, back and the middle.

We need a 2nd or 3rd year player to push him out. Ideally we need 3 or 2nd or 3rd year players to stand up.

guitars4
Club Player

<t>Newnes is a handy player not a star & never will be but at pick 43 or whatever he was at the time he has done alright . Likes the easy ball out the back & we do need out side players with skill to play that role but in 2018 he went backwards . He wasn't the only one Billings,Dunstan,Bruce,Mc Cartin,Weller,Hickey,Longer,Lonie all went backwards in 2018. But the bigger question is who has thrived under Richo's watch ? I really don't think anyone has excelled. Webster has been alright , Gresham handy,Carslile steady,Membrey marginal , McKenzie better, Battle & Marshall maybe, Geary same ol same ol, Steven is the best we have but I would't say he has improved . I might have missed someone but really can't find a player that has owned it under last years leadership group.</t>

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Fri 14 Dec 2018 3:07pm He could also be our next captain
I know (think?) this is tongue in cheek but, really, a player who should be dropped for poor performance like Newnes or Geary shouldn't really be captain. If a player needs a spell in the twos then they should go back and not rely on the 'C' next to their name for a game.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Newnes steadily improved from a low base every year until he plateaued in 2017 and went backwards badly in 2018. It really wouldn't surprise me if what we saw in 2016 was the best he is capable of, and if so, then losing him really isn't a concern. His best positions are wing and half back, but he doesn't provide much run, he doesn't get amazing stats and generally he just doesn't have any weapons.

If we're looking at running defenders Coffield has pace, height, composure and precision kicking. White has size, elite kicking and a whole lot of mongrel. McKenzie has outstanding athleticism and intensity. Newnes is a solid time trial runner and is ok at most footy skills.

If we're looking at wingman we have the likes of Ross, Hannebery, Acres, Sinclair, Clark, Billings and Gresham likely to fill those spots. All of those guys have damaging attributes which the very vanilla Newnes does not.

Now of course he has proven to be a coach's favourite and there's every chance he plays every game again in 2019. If it's on the wing and he's fit he'll probably average 20 disposals per game again and not be our worst player most weeks. However if Gold Coast offer Newnes a 4 year deal on 450k per year I'd be thrilled to get back into the second round of the draft.

axcellence
Club Player

I think he’s got some weapons, eg long kick to goal from outside 50, etc. not super at it, but he can kick a fair way.

The issue is plateau and going backwards and I do blame some of the coaching/game plan for it.

But yeah, he would look better in a top 4/top 8 team.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Versatility is a strong currency.

Anyone remember when he was swung forward and took strong pack marks and kicked bags of goals.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sat 15 Dec 2018 6:19am Versatility is a strong currency.

Anyone remember when he was swung forward and took strong pack marks and kicked bags of goals.
Im not sure if its versatility or the same attributes or lack of attributes in various positions. His ability to run around unmarked and possessing a decent pair of hands is only useful if the opposition dont see him as a threat. He can run but if needed, he could easily be shut down. He is as highly capable as he is inconsistent and frustrating.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Been very average last few seasons though did get a very heavy knock in 2017.

Needs to shape up or get out.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

He's looked to be playing injured for a while which doesn't do much for his reputation, I hope he gets back to his best as we need senior experience on the field.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Sat 15 Dec 2018 12:43pm He's looked to be playing injured for a while which doesn't do much for his reputation, I hope he gets back to his best as we need senior experience on the field.
If that is the case dragit, I'm unsure who that is an indictment on, the medical staff (incompetence), the coaching staff (desperation) or the player (selfishness).

He (we) cannot afford another 2018. If so will be a mutually beneficial decision if he leaves to fill a hole in a team in contention.

Mad Saint Guy summed it up beautifully in my opinion.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

SaintPav wrote: Sat 15 Dec 2018 10:52am Been very average last few seasons though did get a very heavy knock in 2017...
IMHO Jack was good (at times, very good), and he was improving each year... till that knock. And don't forget, the sheer guts involved in his commitment to getting the footy, that led to the hit. :idea:

Based on all this, I'm happy to run with Jack having earned the right to another year.

But, his 2018 was very poor. He was not playing with his normal guts and commitment IMHO. And he simply cannot be carried beyond 2019, if (for whatever reason) he can't get back to his prior form. So I agree Pav, it's 2019 or bust for Jack.

But should that happen (the bust), it will be the 'original' version of Jack Newne's football that I shall be remembering!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope some club is prepared to pay massive overs and it results in a handy draft pick for us and we can use that pick to acquire an established midfielder from another team.
Jack Newnes is not going to be the difference between us making or missing finals.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 15 Dec 2018 1:22pm
dragit wrote: Sat 15 Dec 2018 12:43pm He's looked to be playing injured for a while which doesn't do much for his reputation, I hope he gets back to his best as we need senior experience on the field.
If that is the case dragit, I'm unsure who that is an indictment on, the medical staff (incompetence), the coaching staff (desperation) or the player (selfishness).

He (we) cannot afford another 2018. If so will be a mutually beneficial decision if he leaves to fill a hole in a team in contention.

Mad Saint Guy summed it up beautifully in my opinion.
IF that is the case and I say IF... one would surely have to see it as an indictment on the coach.

That would make Newnes (if true), Longer (in 2018 and parts of 2017 apparently) and Weller (2017) as players that seemed injured to the point of not being physically capable of performing to the necessary standard, being inundated with opportunity after opportunity despite being injured and out of form whilst a guy like Freeman was written off after 1.5 games

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

He seemed to do ok until the head knock vs Sydney.
Then went backwards.
Being a coaches favourite meant that, like Mav, he was gifted games because nobody in the Zebs was ready to step in (in the coaches minds), and it was hoped he and Mav would magically find their mojo.

Both shoulda been dropped.
Billings, Acres, etc have been dropped.
If he can't get his head right next year,
let him go and 'thanks for your service'
- no sarcasm, I don't know whether he's had personal trauma or what, he's a human being, let him move on
and try elsewhere

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

:roll: Newnes is not going anywhere ffs. :roll:

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Agreed Saynta. Newnes is a true Sainter. Lets all hope he bounces back in 2019.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.