2019 Coaching. It's a lose-lose.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Flagless
Club Player

Re: 2019 Coaching. It's a lose-lose.

bigred wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 10:43pm First up, cards on the table. Richardson has completely lost me. How he is still in the role is just astounding really. Pathetic, matey performance management. Fish rots at the head. Runs are just not on the board.

We would have to win 18+ games next year to have me thinking otherwise.

I hate sacking coaches. It just reeks of failure and bad management. Never, ever a good look.

So riddle me these hypotheticals.
  • We win five games or less. We sack a coach. Probably before the half way point of the year. Season will be dusted... we lose. Wont be able to attract any players come season end. We lose.
  • We win five to ten. Good god.... They might actually consider giving him another year. We lose.
  • We win Ten to thirteen games and make the finals, going out first week. Extension imminent. We lose.
  • We win Thirteen to sixteen games. Win a final. Ratten influence. Extension granted. Christ maybe even two years.
  • Sixteen wins or more, win two finals and make a prelim. f*** sake two years. Ratten influence.
  • We win the flag and he coaches for ten years.... more. We win.
Honestly, give him the arse now. Do it. Just damn well pull the band aid off and start fresh. Give it to Ratten.

I just do not trust that Richardson is the guy that is going to get us back at the pointy end. How can you? Blind faith? We cant afford blind faith.

If he says "park that fifteen minutes" once in 2019 my TV will be in trouble.
Just a question to all those wanting Richardson sacked- how many have ever coached a season of senior footy ?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Cho ain’t a coaches arsehole. Everybody with half a clue knows it. Unfortunately the Death Star wouldn’t sign off on the early termination of Cho’s contract & as a result we are stuck with him. At least his clause to coach beyond next year will only be triggered if we make finals. Best case scenario, we win 12, miss finals & Cho gets the chop. We can only hope cos this bloke has ripped the soul out of our club & turned it into a culture-less, no-name, plastic franchise on par with the Gold Coast Suns. We need hope, for the fans, for the players, for prospective players & the longevity of the club - Cho’s gotta go.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 5:57pm
Sanctorum wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 1:24pm Supporters can carry on as much as they like about Alan Richardson remaining as coach for 2019, but that's all in vain.

Fact is that the club have backed him to be Senior Coach, and have identified the need for him to be given far more support for the team to achieve success in 2019 and beyond.

Therefore the clean out of assistant coaches, and bringing in some real experience, especially Brett Ratten and Brendon Lade (as well as Billy Slater) all of whom come from clubs with strong cultures of success.

Gubby Allen is going to give the club some real clout in the area of list management and player retention - a fantastic appointment as every club where he has worked in senior roles has had considerable on-field success while he was involved.

Opinions of supporters of Richo are utterly meaningless compared to how the players rate him, as noted in an article on the AFL website today:

"Acres, 23, has – as you'd expect – backed coach Alan Richardson and his new team to take the Saints a step forward in 2019.

"We've brought in, I think, four or five new coaches now and we'll bring in a few draftees in a few weeks," he said.

"We all trust Richo, we all know he knows what he's doing and I think this year he's got a great support group with all the new coaches.

"We've got to hold up our end of the bargain as well and perform each week
."

If it's good enough for players to trust Richo, then so should supporters. Save your breath....relax, and do what most supporters do at the end of a bad season - bury our disappointment and look forward to next year!!
Entitled of course to your opinion Sanctorum and if you want to see it that way, your prerogative. The club has backed him because it’s too expensive to sack him, that can be the only reason he was excluded from the post season review. Acres has backed him.....well what do you expect him to say?
I read your post as, “let’s just make the best of it”, which is good if you like optimism and hope. I like them too, but not at the expense of sweeping sh*t under the carpet coz it’s too unpalatable. It has a tendency to smell after a while. Hope you’re right mate. Hope we come good....don’t share your optimism with Richardson at the helm. Time will tell.
Is it a false claim that Richo was not part of the review? Have you got any links to media with quotes from club officials stating Richo will not be included in the review?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 10:35am
bigred wrote: Mon 29 Oct 2018 10:43pm First up, cards on the table. Richardson has completely lost me. How he is still in the role is just astounding really. Pathetic, matey performance management. Fish rots at the head. Runs are just not on the board.

I hate sacking coaches. It just reeks of failure and bad management. Never, ever a good look.

• We win five games or less. We sack a coach. Probably before the half way point of the year. Season will be dusted... we lose. Wont be able to attract any players come season end. We lose.
  • We win five to ten. Good god.... They might actually consider giving him another year. We lose.
  • We win Ten to thirteen games and make the finals, going out first week. Extension imminent. We lose.
  • We win Thirteen to sixteen games. Win a final. Ratten influence. Extension granted. Christ maybe even two years.
  • Sixteen wins or more, win two finals and make a prelim. f*** sake two years. Ratten influence.
Honestly, give him the arse now. Do it. Just damn well pull the band aid off and start fresh. Give it to Ratten.

I just do not trust that Richardson is the guy that is going to get us back at the pointy end. How can you? Blind faith? We cant afford blind faith.

Not sure I agree.

If we make finals, then something is working.

I don't rate Richardson at all, based on what I see. But I never rated Hardwick based on what I saw either.

I still don't.

But if we make the finals, it means one or more of three things:

Our young guys have improved out of sight.

Richardson has coached well.

The coaching panel as a whole is working really well.

I can't see how any of those scenarios are negative.
I'd add one or more of 4 things and include a good run with injuries, a really good run.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Flagless wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 6:45pm

Just a question to all those wanting Richardson sacked- how many have ever coached a season of senior footy ?
Why is that relevant?

Am I unable to say that Clarko is an excellent coach or that Tim Watson was a terrible one?

chico2001
Club Player

Read some interesting but probably meaningless statistics for most:

N.Buckley has played/coached the most games without winning a flag....442. The equivalent of about 22 seasons of footy.Now that is a long time between drinks.

In comparison Cho sits at 225 & no flags

Hardwick has 3 flags in 410 games

Ex saints favourite Mick Malthouse has 4 flags in 900 games played/coached

Chico - 220 games & no flags...;)

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Its not always the coach's fault. I think history proves that.

The best decision for the club in my opinion was to keep Richo on in 2019, make no mistakes he will be gone if the team doesn't deliver but calm heads prevailed in this instance I believe.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Over it. Just let the bloke coach and prepare for 2019. The club has backed him in...if its another 4 win season then I highly doubt he will still be around and many will ultimately get their wish.

He's coaching in 2019. Get over it and lets get behind the club and wish Richo and the players success.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Torn

“Yeah….nah””
repta
Club Player

Richardson is the senior coach, time to get over it. We are stuck with him.

Well at least until June - July when we are 0-10

Flagless
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 7:50pm

Why is that relevant?

Am I unable to say that Clarko is an excellent coach or that Tim Watson was a terrible one?
If you knew anything about coaching you would know that coaching is not defined by wins and losses- it wouldn't matter who was coaching the saints current list, they would struggle to win games. Its also about development and maximising the potential of those players you do have. Unless you have coached and know the intricacies involved, you simply would have no idea

Flagless
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 7:50pm

Why is that relevant?

If you knew anything about coaching you would know that coaching is not defined by wins and losses- it wouldn't matter who was coaching the saints current list, they would struggle to win games. Its also about development and maximising the potential of those players you do have. Unless you have coached and know the intricacies involved, you simply would have no idea

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

So you’re saying that anyone that hasn’t coached is incapable of judging whether Richo has “maximised the potential” of the players he has?

SO when the Saints were in the 8 last 8 and dropped 5 of the last 7, then went on to win 4 games the following season... people on this forum are not able to make a reasonable assessment that if the observe questionable team strategy decisions followed by poor results that the coaching is poor.

I guess you have no opinion on the topic then?

I used to think that Clarkson was the greatest coach of the modern era... now I guess I’ll never know

chico2001
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 6:19pm
chico2001 wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 6:16pm
saynta wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 10:06am Another thread by the chicken little brigade.
Once again , you sit on the fence and offer your tidbits of abuse and snide remarks. you make no contribution and even worse your dumb mate gives you the thumbs up. Like schoolkids. No wonder people don't want to contribute.
And you are a blight on this forum.

Have been ever since you started posting .

800 odd offensive, negative or abusive posts ffs.

Filth supporters should stick to their own rancid forums.

Go back where you came from.

This forum can do without you, thanks very much.

There you go again, you just cant help yourself.....

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Are you going to vote in the upcoming state or federal elections? Question for you.
Have you ever been Prime Minister or Premier?
By the logic in the above post, you’re not qualified to have or express an opinion if you haven’t held those offices.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Chico is allowed to post his opinion regardless of whether or not you agree...
And despite the occasional spar he largely has a basis for said opinion.

To speak on behalf of the forum and call him a blight is very poor form. Regardless of whether or not he is a positive or negative forumite... the personal attacks and prolonged harassment needs to stop.

That’s just bullying.

A number of forumites here seem intent on being thought police and denying others their right to post opinions

bigred
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 1:47pm Chico is allowed to post his opinion regardless of whether or not you agree...

To speak on behalf of the forum and call him a blight is very poor form. Regardless of whether or not he is a positive or negative forumite... the personal attacks and prolonged harassment needs to stop.

That’s just bullying.

A number of forumites here seem intent on being thought police and denying others their right to post opinions
Agreed.

However single line pot shot responses are really just highlighting the division on this forum at the moment.

I would rather be reading some discussion really.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 1:47pm Chico is allowed to post his opinion regardless of whether or not you agree...

That’s just bullying.

I agree. Well said. If there’s a blight on the forum it’s the one liner insults and put downs, bullying and personal invective. There’s banter....and there’s bullying.

Conversation : “Connects us to what is other, let’s in the converse, the opposite...”
Last edited by st.byron on Wed 31 Oct 2018 3:30pm, edited 4 times in total.

stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 10:06am Another thread by the chicken little brigade.
Once again , you sit on the fence and offer your tidbits of abuse and snide remarks. you make no contribution and even worse your dumb mate gives you the thumbs up. Like schoolkids. No wonder people don't want to contribute.
Posters don't want to contribute because of posters like you!!!!!

You go full tilt at posters and be abusive, then try and worm you way out of it by saying, 'don't mean to offend'!!!!!

You offend people by pretending to be a 'St.Kilda Supporter", which many suggest you are not!!!!!

Turkish Roll!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 3:26pm

You go full tilt at posters and be abusive, then try and worm you way out of it by saying, 'don't mean to offend'!!!!!

You offend people by pretending to be a 'St.Kilda Supporter", which many suggest you are not!!!!!

Turkish Roll!!!!!
Speak for yourself bro about who makes you want to post and who offends you.

stonecold
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 3:28pm

Turkish Roll!!!!!
Was responding to it's statement, also speaking for myself and other that find it offensive!!!!!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 3:32pm

Turkish Roll!!!!!
Was responding to it's statement, also speaking for myself and other that find it offensive!!!!!
So you’re not speaking for yourself. What you’re actually doing is ganging up on someone by saying you and a bunch of others find them offensive.

stonecold
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 4:12pm
stonecold wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 3:32pm

Turkish Roll!!!!!
So you’re not speaking for yourself. What you’re actually doing is ganging up on someone by saying you and a bunch of others find them offensive.
Making a statement is speaking for yourself!!!!!

Not ganging up on anyone, the poster is clearly anti-st.kilda based on many previous posts, if that is not the case, it should be, provides nothing positive towards the club!!!!!

Whiskey
Club Player

Turkish Roll!!!!!
What's a "Turkish roll" !!!!!?

stonecold
SS Life Member

Whiskey wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 4:50pm

Turkish Roll!!!!!
What's a "Turkish roll" !!!!!?
Troll!!!!!