Cooney on Richo's tenure

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

guitars4
Club Player

Re: Cooney on Richo's tenure

As bad as I think Richo is I don't think Adam Cooney has the credentials to come out a comment in a media position. Don't get me wrong he was a handy player in his time but hardly think his opinion holds any weight.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Yes I am a nick picking prick to parse the comments above attributed to Adam but he seems to have said "..should be complimentary.." but wasn't; and didn't really say AR was a good development coach. How hard is it to coach a high draft pick and subsequent Brownlow winner into the firsts? Just give him a footy? AR's body of work seems to highlight his ordinariness and longevity rather than achievement. Club must be painfully aware AR is there on sufferance and marking off the days to the lack of performance trigger point.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Cooney...is the Kyle Sandilands of AFL journalism.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Premium89
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 6:54pm
saynta wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 5:56pm
fugazi wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 12:13pm Can you paraphrase it?
Sure.

'SOUTH Australian Brownlow Medallist Adam Cooney has predicted St Kilda coach Alan Richardson is about to enter his final year of senior coaching.

Cooney, who had Richardson as a development coach in his early days at the Western Bulldogs, predicted the recruitment of Sydney champion Dan Hannebery would not be enough to save the Saints’ senior coach from the axe.

Richardson, who previously worked as a senior assistant coach under Ken Hinkley at Port Adelaide, has been at St Kilda for five seasons without making the finals.

“My first development coach at the Western Bulldogs, he was, Alan Richardson” Cooney said on Adelaide radio Sportsday SA. “So I should be quite complimentary of him, because he did help me get a game early on in my career.

“I think he will last the season but I don’t think he’ll last the season after that.

“I just don’t see where the improvement comes from for the Saints.

“We talked about Dan Hannebery being their main acquisition in the off-season but again … I’ve watched him play pretty closely over the last couple of years (and) he does look banged up.

“Don’t see how much improvement he’s going to make unless he gets his body right, which would be ideal.”

Richardson is contracted until the end of the 2020 season but several reports have suggested there are performance-based clauses in his contract that will need to be met for him extend his tenure beyond next season."
So Cooney is being pilloried by some on here for saying the blinding obvious ....

Riiigghht.
Think he’s actually being pilloried because A) he’s trumpeting the same stuff the entire footy media and most on this forum have been saying for 6odd months and B) cause he’s not an ex saints player.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 11:01pm Cooney...is the Kyle Sandilands of AFL journalism.
Cooney is not a journalist. Like many AFL media personalities he provides expert opinions because he had a long successful career in the sport.

Do you know the difference between a journalist ( AFL or otherwise ) and a footy commentator? Tom Morris, Mark Stevens, John Ralph, and Tom Brown are journos afaik and they are not ex-AFL footballers.

Why do you like to put beyond doubt the fact that you are a total tool?
Nearly half your posts are plain dumb or inaccurate.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Coming from a poster with a quote from Ben Long/Con Gorozides in their signature....ok. You are an intellectual giant of this forum.

Cooney is after headlines. Not the first time.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The above falls into the half that is accurate

The Recruit
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 1:32pm Can we just let Alan coach and get the list ready over pre season. If he has a shocker of a year then lets discuss it.

Because...at the moment its not even Rd 1 and the man is coaching the Saints. I'm backing Alan in to have a good year.
No.
Last year was unforgivable and unfortunately we are still dealing with the fallout

- fail to attract any decent players from other clubs during trade
- lost the Good Friday game
- playing 3 home games in Chine (what a joke)
- And I imagine playing the majority of games on a sunday arvo when no one cares which I can only be negative for sponsorship.
- predicted drop of 5-10k members

So in summary if Alan does not deserve to be let off the hook and let coach. 2018 was not good enough an any other club (well any of the more successful clubs) would have shown him the door.

He will cop it until the team improves bottom line.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 11:01pm Cooney...is the Kyle Sandilands of AFL journalism.
:D Couple of pricks.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 10:13am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 1:32pm Can we just let Alan coach and get the list ready over pre season. If he has a shocker of a year then lets discuss it.

Because...at the moment its not even Rd 1 and the man is coaching the Saints. I'm backing Alan in to have a good year.
No.
Last year was unforgivable and unfortunately we are still dealing with the fallout

- fail to attract any decent players from other clubs during trade
- lost the Good Friday game
- playing 3 home games in Chine (what a joke)
- And I imagine playing the majority of games on a sunday arvo when no one cares which I can only be negative for sponsorship.
- predicted drop of 5-10k members

So in summary if Alan does not deserve to be let off the hook and let coach. 2018 was not good enough an any other club (well any of the more successful clubs) would have shown him the door.

He will cop it until the team improves bottom line.
The saints were not in a position to show him the door ffs. How many times do pple have to be told that.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Let Alan bloody coach people. He's coaching Rd 1 and probably the entire season. Time to move on. Alan and the players need our support.

If he has an ordinary year then lets review it, but otherwise get onboard or get off. It amazes me why so called supporters want him to fail next year. Really don't get it.

Total = 1.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 4:10pm Cooney has simply given voice to the obvious.
People with freakin' Murdoch subscriptions? Because the rest of us can't read it...although, get the general gist.

stonecold
SS Life Member

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 10:39am Let Alan bloody coach people. It amazes me why so called supporters want him to fail next year. Really don't get it.
It's in some people's D&A to be like that, they can't help it, just born losers!!!!!

It's here for all to see, negative mindset, sad sacks!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
spert
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 10:39am Let Alan bloody coach people. He's coaching Rd 1 and probably the entire season. Time to move on. Alan and the players need our support.

If he has an ordinary year then lets review it, but otherwise get onboard or get off. It amazes me why so called supporters want him to fail next year. Really don't get it.
He has only had 5 years to get it right- I don't want the Saints to lose any game, but jeez good luck with your projects guys!

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

No fan of Kyle but he has a level of intelligence Cooney can only dream of aspiring to reach.

Giving his wife a burger ring as an engagement ring sums him up.

I think he and Jake Stringer’s ex would make a great pair.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 11:27am
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 10:39am Let Alan bloody coach people. It amazes me why so called supporters want him to fail next year. Really don't get it.
It's in some people's D&A to be like that, they can't help it, just born losers!!!!!

It's here for all to see, negative mindset, sad sacks!!!!!
Depreciation & Amortization?