Sitting on our hands.... (edited by mods)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: D!cks in our hands....

aaron82 wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 2:03pm What do people expect, we play on the car park in front of 20,000 style crowds on a weekly basis, currently near the bottom with terrible player development & a vanilla coach in Mr 33%.

I’d imagine we were quite aggressive and offered large sums of money to all of the premium types. Apart from money, we have no unique selling points to offer prospective A graders.

We just need to keep hitting the draft and develop the young players who do have potential but have stalled for one reason or another.

Someone nailed it earlier, once Carlton get there act together the little clubs will always be fighting for the Sam Lloyd’s, Karl Amon’s & Dean Kent types
The trouble is...this is what we expected!

The moment we missed, the considerable window, of sacking Richo, and sending the message that we don't tolerate mediocrity..we look weak .

And come trade period, we look irrelevant. Holding up bags of money.

Does not work for this generation.

Imagine a bold, new StKilda:

At the end of the season, we thank Richo for his services and exit him.
Appoint Ratten, new President, Billy Slater and couple of new coaches.
Ruthlessly go through the list and put up for trade or delistings anyone not up to it: Paddy, Newnes. Loonger, Lonie etc
All of a sudden, StKilda feels different, has a sense of renewal....Richo is an Albatross round our neck!

Nee!
minneapolis
Club Player

Saint wagga wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 1:33pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 1:24pm Hawks will be in massive trouble in a 3-4 years with their list.
I doubt it...I said the same of their list 5 years ago, that they'd hit a cliff, same with Geelong...hasn't happened. They were charmed the advent and timing of free agency, we missed out by a couple of years. Once Carlton get their s*** together, the big powerful melbourne clubs will dominate the little melbourne clubs. Dons have already shown that!
I used to think they would be in trouble but have changed my mind. Each year they will pick up 2 very good footballers. So in 3-4 years time they will have added another 6 good players. These guys play for 8 or so years - it becomes cumulative.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 1:29pm Do you even barrack for St Kilda?
Dragit's links are relevant, but isn't it time you stopped playing that card, Parkey/Bluthy/Ted?

Ad hominem attacks can never replace valid arguments and observations.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 2:33pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 1:29pm Do you even barrack for St Kilda?
Dragit's links are relevant, but isn't it time you stopped playing that card, Parkey/Bluthy/Ted?

Ad hominem attacks can never replace valid arguments and observations.
Bluthy?

Bluthy hated Richo.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Sadly, looks like we're just about the only club NOT landing a big fish this trade period, unless you consider Hannabery a Murray Cod. Neale, Lobb, Hogan, soon May and Sheil, they're all going down.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 2:18pm
aaron82 wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 2:03pm What do people expect, we play on the car park in front of 20,000 style crowds on a weekly basis, currently near the bottom with terrible player development & a vanilla coach in Mr 33%.

I’d imagine we were quite aggressive and offered large sums of money to all of the premium types. Apart from money, we have no unique selling points to offer prospective A graders.

We just need to keep hitting the draft and develop the young players who do have potential but have stalled for one reason or another.

Someone nailed it earlier, once Carlton get there act together the little clubs will always be fighting for the Sam Lloyd’s, Karl Amon’s & Dean Kent types

The moment we missed, the considerable window, of sacking Richo, and sending the message that we don't tolerate mediocrity..we look weak .

Ruthlessly go through the list and put up for trade or delistings anyone not up to it: Paddy, Newnes. Loonger, Lonie etc
All of a sudden, StKilda feels different, has a sense of renewal....Richo is an Albatross round our neck!
In a nutshell. Exactly. The drunken captain remains at the wheel of the ship whilst the spin merchants shift the deck chairs around him.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 1:01pm
ss1986 wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 12:31pm That’s the St.Kilda trade period in a nutshell.

Absolutely putrid. Wingard waltzes to Hawthorn. Burton begrudgingly goes to Port... and we didnt even fire a shot.

Another year, another promise of big things and f*** all to show for it.

I know it’s not closed yet - but that’s how little faith I have in this club to surprise me.

Over to you Lethers and co.
We made an aggressive bid for Shiel, we went for Scully, we made a play at Wingard. What more would you want Lethlean to do? We can't force players to come to the club. This is where the new age of free agency and players nominating where they want to get traded to is going to destroy the competition. Every year it will be Hawthorn, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond picking up the big names and all the rest fighting for scraps.
Exactly.

And that’s why Dimwitshithead and Goofy Gilligan are absolute turds allowing this farked up evolution happen

People blame the AFLPA, but it’s the governing body that make the rules

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 2:47pm

In a nutshell. Exactly. The drunken captain remains at the wheel of the ship whilst the spin merchants shift the deck chairs around him.
My take on this too.

A lot of ppl making excuses and rationalisations as to why we couldn’t get things done and accepting it as unavoidable. IMO an improved image courteousy of strong leadership... we’d have done better

Flagless
Club Player

Even a rabble like Fremantle can attract two young up and coming stars and all we get is a burnt out, slow poor by foot midfielder that no one else wanted. That's right, you can spin it any way you want, but not one other club was interested in Hannebery and Sydney hardly put up a fight to keep him- why do you think that is ? Its because he is cooked and he is coming to us to fatten up his superannuation. If people think him and Kent are the answer, they are delusional. The game more than ever is about speed and elite skills by foot. Why do you think Hawthorn always trade in skilled players. The St kilda management team is just plain dumb. We may get some improvement next year through the natural development of a few youngsters but bringing in broken down players past their best wont be the reason

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 3:02pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 2:47pm

My take on this too.

A lot of ppl making excuses and rationalisations as to why we couldn’t get things done and accepting it as unavoidable. IMO an improved image courteousy of strong leadership... we’d have done better
Indeed. Strong leadership would be positive and pleasing. Not like the zero accountability on display in 2018.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

A lot of posters are forgetting one crucial point. Players don't way to come to us. They don't. So we went after big name players and they all said pass. hanners no longer a big name imo.
I still think we keep pick 4 and get Rankin if they don't give us overs tonight

ss1986
Club Player

May AND Kolodjanisj or whatever the heck is name now is for Pick 6 to Melbourne.

People say "dont give up Pick 4, we could pick up a superstar". Well.... Steven May already is, and the steak knives thrown in for good measure too.

We need some leadership, a backman and some run.....

Don't tell me we didn't just sit on our hands and watch that one play out too.....

It is negligence.
Last edited by ss1986 on Wed 17 Oct 2018 3:27pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

As a regular cellar dweller club we need to sell hope to the fans and to prospective players. What sort of message does it send to everyone when we keep a 33% win rate coach? A new coach such as Ratten may have made all the difference in attracting Shiel, et al.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Congratulations Saints. Got exactly what you deserved. All because you failed to pull the trigger on that useless excuse of a coach. No wonder no-one wants to come to us.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 3:25pm May AND Kolodjanisj or whatever the heck is name now is for Pick 6 to Melbourne.

People say "dont give up Pick 4, we could pick up a superstar". Well.... Steven May already is, and the steak knives thrown in for good measure too.

Don't tell me we didn't just sit on our hands and watch that one play out too.....

It is negligence.
They need to actually want to come to the club though. Scully went cheap, we could have offered a higher pick, but it wouldn't have been accepted. The deal isn't just swapping picks.

ss1986
Club Player

degruch wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 3:43pm
ss1986 wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 3:25pm May AND Kolodjanisj or whatever the heck is name now is for Pick 6 to Melbourne.

It is negligence.
They need to actually want to come to the club though. Scully went cheap, we could have offered a higher pick, but it wouldn't have been accepted. The deal isn't just swapping picks.
Steven May came out yesterday and said he was happy to come to ANY Melbourne club.... If he didn't want us, or he specifically wanted someone else, he would've worded that pretty differently.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 3:45pm
degruch wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 3:43pm

It is negligence.
Steven May came out yesterday and said he was happy to come to ANY Melbourne club.... If he didn't want us, or he specifically wanted someone else, he would've worded that pretty differently.
Did Kokjavnntsrvji also come out and say he was happy with ANY Melbourne club also? Would we have been happy with May and an unwanted additional player for pick #4? The Suns had to happy with the deal too...in the end, I think there were very few clubs in a position to wrangle that deal, I can't see how we could have to be honest.

ss1986
Club Player

Well... if we aren’t attractive to players like Kolokolokolotoure, then we may as well shut the doors now.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 3:23pm A lot of posters are forgetting one crucial point. Players don't way to come to us. They don't. So we went after big name players and they all said pass. hanners no longer a big name imo.
I still think we keep pick 4 and get Rankin if they don't give us overs tonight
Why not?

Why were players willing to come in Watson’s last season or GT’s first season and his second at that... obviously no one is expecting that level of gravitas but the club found a way to look appealing.

That’s kind of the point here

ss1986
Club Player

IF Carlton swoop in and take Dylan Shiel for any less than we could have offered..........

I'll march down to Moorabbin and tear the joint down myself.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 4:15pm IF Carlton swoop in and take Dylan Shiel for any less than we could have offered..........

I'll march down to Moorabbin and tear the joint down myself.
If Essendon couldn't get the job done, surely GWS are eyeing off #1 or multiple top 10 picks? Good on 'em for playing hardball, GWS are a pretty fair club to deal with IMO, and not stupid.

chico2001
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 12:45pm Completely disagree.

We had a couple of good ins and got 2 x of our main trade targets in Dan and Dean. Shiel would have been nice to add to that, but its not a doom and gloom miss at all.

Still have pick 4 and 28 which will net 2 x very good youngsters, especially pick 4. We have added 2 x good and expierenced footballers so far and only let go a fringe ruck we didn't need.

Very few A graders swap clubs in trade period and it never simply guarantees success of any kind. History proves that.
bulls***......There is minimal difference to the playing stocks with these trades. We already had pick four, we got that for finishing near the bottom of the ladder. Let go of a ruck that the club was apparently paid $600k a year...what idiot club pays him that type of money and we now have a ruck who cant even get hold of the pill, those same people are still at the club and trying to cover up gross incompetence..and you are supporting that incompetence with your continual glossing up of a poor trade period and a poor performing administration.

chico2001
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 1:24pm Hawks will be in massive trouble in a 3-4 years with their list.
How so?...let us hear the reasoning behind your "expert" opinion. Share it with the forum.

chico2001
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 17 Oct 2018 1:29pm Do you ever post something positive?
Why post these links without any context and historical facts?
Don't get it.
Do you even barrack for St Kilda?
Still playing the "don't you support us" card....stop bitchin, you sound like a real sonk.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Re: Sitting on our hands.... (edited by mods)

Welcome to the nutbar.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.