Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Monster deal for Dylan Shiel

I will drop my load if we get the Great Sheil.

I’d take him over any other player in the comp I reckon.

See ya later pick 4 and say an Acres.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Rocket
Club Player

I’m not convinced we need to sell the farm.

If he leaves next year GWS get a compensation pick. ..which based on last 2 years will be within 12-18 range.

Do this year and they get pick 4 to the Saints which is the reason they would consider alongside salary cap relief.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Has anyone watched him play. I have. At 1.3 a year I would want a match winner. Not on those dollars.

Drew21
Club Player

Rocket wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 8:08am I’m not convinced we need to sell the farm.

If he leaves next year GWS get a compensation pick. ..which based on last 2 years will be within 12-18 range.

Do this year and they get pick 4 to the Saints which is the reason they would consider alongside salary cap relief.
I would suggest there would be a swap of picks later in the draft as well maybe you can move up from the third round aboit

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Don't forget gws has salary cap issues at present and will most likely have to let someone go. So they don't have all the power. That said I think we need to offer a bit more cash to get him. It is overs at present but not a lot over

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

SaintDippa wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 8:18am Has anyone watched him play. I have. At 1.3 a year I would want a match winner. Not on those dollars.
Agree.
Good player.
1.3 good?
No f****** way.
No.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Rubbish..

Make it rain.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

It's got nothing to do with what he's worth. It's all about what it takes to get him.
Unless someone better is keen for less?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I dunno but pairing this guy up with Stuv in the midfield would be a win.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

so you just pay bulls*** money because thats what it takes?
Yeah ok.
whatever.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 9:59am so you just pay bulls*** money because thats what it takes?
Yeah ok.
whatever.
Or you go without and hope Hanners is the answer, while Shiel pulls on a North or Carlton jumper.

saintadamski
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 9:59am so you just pay bulls*** money because thats what it takes?
Yeah ok.
whatever.
What's your solution then??
Name a decent player we wouldn't have to pay this much money to , to come to the sheizen saints??!

I personally don't think even this much money will lure him.
Our club is currently a joke

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

saintadamski wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 10:13am
Yeah ok.
whatever.
Name a decent player we wouldn't have to pay this much money to , to come to the sheizen saints??!

I totally agree with that. Personally youd only come to the saints for $$$, there is simply no other reason.
I dont have the answers.
Personally, I think we have to take a hit, again, and do a few years at the bottom.
There is no propping up this team, its a lost cause, you almost have to go back to nothing and start again.
Now many here will disagree and abuse me, but whatever....this is what happens when the club is run like a 3rd division park football social club.
You pay the price.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

iwantmeseats wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 10:28am
Yeah ok.
whatever.

I totally agree with that. Personally youd only come to the saints for $$$, there is simply no other reason.
I dont have the answers.
Personally, I think we have to take a hit, again, and do a few years at the bottom.
There is no propping up this team, its a lost cause, you almost have to go back to nothing and start again.
Now many here will disagree and abuse me, but whatever....this is what happens when the club is run like a 3rd division park football social club.
You pay the price.
Agreed.

I think the reason why offers like this (assuming it's legit) are being made is because those administrators who are still at the club want to prove that their "road to 2018", or 2020, whatever it was hasn't been the epic fail that it's looming to be, so they want to at least tick one of those KPI's which was net a star player from that "war chest" of cap space they've been saving.

That and there is probably also a theory that if they can recruit a few mature-age players, then we might climb the ladder, maybe even sneak into finals, which will again, make it look like the club has at least done something right. Hence why we're entertaining players like Hannebury and Menzel. Almost a bit of a Ross Lyon-like mindset.

It's not about the sustained future of the club, it's about making the future appear less bleak than it already is and make the administrators (especially those who re-signed Richo last year) appear to be less incompetent than they already look.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i'd rather we spent 1/2 mil on sacking richo than 1.3m a year on Shiels.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saint-stu
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 12:50am If Shiel asked to be traded to us GWS would want Pick 4 and a player, probably Gresham or Steven. Gresham is essential to our future and Steven is the heart and sole of the club right now....but Shiel would be our best midfielder for the next 5-6 years and probably has 7-8 years of footy left in total.

Maybe something like this could be fair

Pick 4, 2019 1st round Pick for Shiel, Pick 12, Pick 23

They may be interested in Savage, Lonie or Longer as well who we could throw in as steak knives. We would get our big fish, and get two picks in the top 25 this year while GWS get a huge amount of salary cap relief, massively improve their first draft picks for two years and pick up some cheap depth
You might be right, but pick 3 should be enough I think. The player at that pick might be just as good.

1ac46a38
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Shiel is 26 in March.
Will be at his peak.
Definitely a decent option.
A gun 23 year old would be preferred though.

Nee!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

iwantmeseats wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 9:39am
SaintDippa wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 8:18am Has anyone watched him play. I have. At 1.3 a year I would want a match winner. Not on those dollars.
Agree.
Good player.
1.3 good?
No f****** way.
No.
There is no one in the competition worth that much. Only a Lockett or Ablett jnr at his peak would be worth that sort of money. Unfortunately, that's the market.

chico2001
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 1:04pm
Agree.
Good player.
1.3 good?
No f****** way.
No.
There is no one in the competition worth that much. Only a Lockett or Ablett jnr at his peak would be worth that sort of money. Unfortunately, that's the market.
Correct, Did shiel make the all australian team? No, and he didnt even make the squad so he is not elite and therefore not worth top dollar. Better to look at 2 good midfielders for that price. If you can get another Jack Steele with a bit more pace and one other midfielder or a competative ruckman then you are half way there and still have your pick 4/5.One player will just not do it. I am not convinced this club can pick the right players to get us back up the ladder at this stage. Dont go "aggressive" when recruiting, go smarter. Just cant see a topliner in top form and in the right age bracket coming to the saints in 2019, why would you do that?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

chico2001 wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 2:48pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 1:04pm
Agree.
Good player.
1.3 good?
No f****** way.
No.
Correct, Did shiel make the all australian team? No, and he didnt even make the squad so he is not elite and therefore not worth top dollar. Better to look at 2 good midfielders for that price. If you can get another Jack Steele with a bit more pace and one other midfielder or a competative ruckman then you are half way there and still have your pick 4/5.One player will just not do it. I am not convinced this club can pick the right players to get us back up the ladder at this stage. Dont go "aggressive" when recruiting, go smarter. Just cant see a topliner in top form and in the right age bracket coming to the saints in 2019, why would you do that?
Going by that theory, Harris Andrews, Devon Smith, Mark Blicavs, Tom Jonas, Shane Edwards and Kane Lambert are elite.

But Nat Fyfe, Joel Selwood, Dyson Heppell, Luke Parker, Josh Kennedy and Josh Kelly are not.

saint-stu
Club Player

Yeah ok.
whatever.

I dont have the answers.
You pay the price.
Why is everyone so hung up on how much we spend on getting better players in? Why does it matter?

We have to spend a minimum cap. Who are we going to spend it on? Poeple keep saying, "let's get a match winner", "he's not worth that much", well no one else is going to come. If you want to get a player that will improve the team, this is the only way.

1ac46a38
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 4:07pm
Yeah ok.
whatever.

I dont have the answers.
You pay the price.
Why is everyone so hung up on how much we spend on getting better players in? Why does it matter?

We have to spend a minimum cap. Who are we going to spend it on? Poeple keep saying, "let's get a match winner", "he's not worth that much", well no one else is going to come. If you want to get a player that will improve the team, this is the only way.
Because paying stupid money to someone to get them in means that home grown talent does not get the $$$'s and they look elsewhere. It is not just the getting, it is the keeping.

Gresh may get an offer from elsewhere, look at the amount he is currently getting, know that there is no way we can match it, and decide to seek greener pastures.

It is true that we have to pay it - but if you spread the green, everyone is happier.

Of course if the deal gets a premiership, then all players benefit, but at this stage of our development, I do not think the players are looking towards a premiership, rather more so to their own nests and how expensive it is to feather them!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
chico2001
Club Player

Good answer but a skewed thinking process and mine is not a theory but fact. It was valid reasoning for not paying him top dollar. Just remember that in the 2nd list those guys you mentioned have all been selected in the All Australian team at some stage, some more than twice. So if you think Nat Fyfe is not elite then you better think again. So Parker is not elite either then according to you but he was All Australian in 2016 and a premiership player. I didnt say they were not elite, you did. Are any of the first lot of players you mentioned better than what the saints have now? According to representative honours they are. Saints had no players in the squad let alone the team. We are talking about all australian 2018, Go ahead and pay over a Smill a year for Shiel,he made AA last year which puts him right up there for sure, has not won a B &F to my knowledge. I bet the first list of players current contracts would be sky rocketing at the moment for being selected in the AA team. But a few of them I would not call elite especially Blicavs, Jonas and Edwards and I would pick Shiel before them. Cant see where it is justified to pay him Tony Lockett money though.

While you are at it, maybe you can give us some reasons why you would pay him $1.3 mill at least a year.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 4:11pm
Yeah ok.
whatever.

I dont have the answers.
You pay the price.

Because paying stupid money to someone to get them in means that home grown talent does not get the $$$'s and they look elsewhere. It is not just the getting, it is the keeping.

Gresh may get an offer from elsewhere, look at the amount he is currently getting, know that there is no way we can match it, and decide to seek greener pastures.

It is true that we have to pay it - but if you spread the green, everyone is happier.

Of course if the deal gets a premiership, then all players benefit, but at this stage of our development, I do not think the players are looking towards a premiership, rather more so to their own nests and how expensive it is to feather them!
I see your point, but with the exception of Gresh, who else on our list possibly deserves a star pay increase?

We can't go back to the post grand final years when we were paying 100% salary cap on a list that was well into their decline.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 5:34pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 4:11pm
Yeah ok.
whatever.

I dont have the answers.
You pay the price.

I see your point, but with the exception of Gresh, who else on our list possibly deserves a star pay increase?

We can't go back to the post grand final years when we were paying 100% salary cap on a list that was well into their decline.
LOL - in the next 7 years of the Shiel contract??

Hunter
Gresh
Membrey
Pierce
Marshall
Acres
Coff
Steele
Carlisle

+1 for "We can't go back to the post grand final years when we were paying 100% salary cap on a list that was well into their decline." but you are recommending that we pay a large chunk of cash to Shiel with no knowledge of what the future holds.

FWIW - I am all for throwing the kitchen sink at Shiel (more so than Hanners) and think that with the injection of some real talent, others in the club will stand up and walk a bit taller - so I guess I am playing Devil's Advocate. My issue is when people say - Why not pay it - we have to pay it anyway - in relation to contracts that span 5+ years. I would hate to lose 2 A graders (the only players seriously targeted) in an attempt to keep an A+ player - I guess I subscribe to the moneyball theory.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!