Matt Finnis CEO

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Matt Finnis CEO

avid wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 3:03am
BenLong#21 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:15am
lintonstreet wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 11:57pm
BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:28pm Kind of worries me that so many on this forum are impressed by somebody like Matt Finnis and are afraid to call him out.

A slick spiv used car salesman in a suit.

This kind of blow-in-blow-out spiv is the reason we only have 1 flag in 130 years.
Disgraceful comment.

I know Matt well and he's not only the complete opposite to your comment but not only the best CEO we have ever have but completely devoid of an ego.

Moderators should ban you for this slur.
So you know him well?

Maybe you a tad bias and under his spell.

That is the thing about spivs and used car salesmen. They often have a band of fiercely loyal followers.

Bel Gibson comes to mind.
You, BL21, evidently have bugger all idea of what 'bias' actually means.
Knowing someone can indeed bring a certain degree of bias with it. But knowing someone means you actually KNOW SOMETHING about them -- you have some REAL first-hand EVIDENCE of their character, etc.
You, on the other hand, apparently feel free to pour whatever hate-filled bile onto the CEO-- revealing your own wildly slanted self-generated view of the world -- a view untethered to any actual knowledge, or by any sense of fairness or decency. Your bias is all about you.
If you can't speak reasonably about a person it's best not to.
I'll speak 'reasonably' about Finnis, by referring to his performance as CEO of 'the business'.

The core of the business is football operations - without football operations the StKFC ceases to have a reason to exist. Everything else is peripheral, an input, or an output.

Finnis took up his position around April 2014.

In the early part of his tenure, he attended to a range of issues, from the property 'portfolio', looked to establish greater female participation, reached out further on a number of cultural initiatives, dealt with some downward revenue trends - all good stuff.

Average CEO tenure in a any particular business is around 5 years.

Around 3 and a 1/2 years (1.e. 70%) into the average CEO tenure, Finnis took his recommendation to the Board, that the coach who had been appointed by his CEO predecessor, should be granted a 2 year extension to his contract that had another year to run.

THEN he initiated a 'thorough review' of the core of the business i.e. football operations.

This was his first 'thorough review' of the business core.

Given the business lives, or dies, on the performance of football operations, that sequence of events, AND priorities (as demonstrated) is just not defensible.

That the goddamn board didn't twig to this gigantic management failure says a whole lot about their competence and governance, too.

But, Finnis is the CEO, so he wears it.

Although, not so as you'd notice, given Lethlean's ridiculous statements yesterday, about Richo being 'our man', and doing exactly what Richardson has been doing ever more of, as the slide continues - dumping on the players, and thereby absolving themselves of any and all responsibility.

Pathetic, and managerialist to its core.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saynta
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 10:28pm Kind of worries me that so many on this forum are impressed by somebody like Matt Finnis and are afraid to call him out.

This kind of blow-in-blow-out spiv is the reason we only have 1 flag in 130 years.
Do you even know the guy?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 11:05am

Disgraceful comment.

I know Matt well and he's not only the complete opposite to your comment but not only the best CEO we have ever have but completely devoid of an ego.

So you know him well?

That is the thing about spivs and used car salesmen. They often have a band of fiercely loyal followers.

Knowing someone can indeed bring a certain degree of bias with it. But knowing someone means you actually KNOW SOMETHING about them -- you have some REAL first-hand EVIDENCE of their character, etc.
You, on the other hand, apparently feel free to pour whatever hate-filled bile onto the CEO-- revealing your own wildly slanted self-generated view of the world -- a view untethered to any actual knowledge, or by any sense of fairness or decency. Your bias is all about you.
Thanks for proving me correct.

Indeed I know very much what 'bias' means. Why do you think judges cannot adjudicate on cases involving someone they a personal relationship with? It is called bias.
In fact it is well known that a close personal relationship with someone tends to skew people's assessment - positively.
Here are some scholarly articles:
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1207 ... pspr0804_1
Intimates typically are positively biased in their relationship evaluations.
http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/journa ... 09/10.html

It is often those closest to someone - caught up in the spell - that are last to recognise when someone is doing something wrong.
Think of all those mums and wives of serial killers who -despite overwhelming evidence - still claim their little darling is innocent.

The objective evidence is plain obvious.

Finnis has had 5 years. The club is on its knees.
Next year we will get a horrendous draw with no prime time FTA games.
Attendances are down. TV ratings are down.
The club faces merger, re-location or possibly extinction.

Nothing 'hateful' at all about these observations.

You seem very passionate in your defence of Matt. Do you know him personally? I think your violent over reaction says somewhat more about you. Are you feeling powerless in life in general? Frustrated? I see you are either a night owl or overseas. Perhaps you need some help.
5 years? Crap. Try 3 1/2 years.

BenLong#21
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:50pm

Disgraceful comment.

So you know him well?

Indeed I know very much what 'bias' means. Why do you think judges cannot adjudicate on cases involving someone they a personal relationship with? It is called bias.
In fact it is well known that a close personal relationship with someone tends to skew people's assessment - positively.

It is often those closest to someone - caught up in the spell - that are last to recognise when someone is doing something wrong.
Think of all those mums and wives of serial killers who -despite overwhelming evidence - still claim their little darling is innocent.

You seem very passionate in your defence of Matt. Do you know him personally? I think your violent over reaction says somewhat more about you. Are you feeling powerless in life in general? Frustrated? I see you are either a night owl or overseas. Perhaps you need some help.
5 years? Crap. Try 3 1/2 years.

That is 5 seasons.
Count them yourself.

BenLong#21
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:01pm

Disgraceful comment.

So you know him well?

I'll speak 'reasonably' about Finnis, by referring to his performance as CEO of 'the business'.

The core of the business is football operations - without football operations the StKFC ceases to have a reason to exist. Everything else is peripheral, an input, or an output.

In the early part of his tenure, he attended to a range of issues, from the property 'portfolio', looked to establish greater female participation, reached out further on a number of cultural initiatives, dealt with some downward revenue trends - all good stuff.

Around 3 and a 1/2 years (1.e. 70%) into the average CEO tenure, Finnis took his recommendation to the Board, that the coach who had been appointed by his CEO predecessor, should be granted a 2 year extension to his contract that had another year to run.

THEN he initiated a 'thorough review' of the core of the business i.e. football operations.

Given the business lives, or dies, on the performance of football operations, that sequence of events, AND priorities (as demonstrated) is just not defensible.

That the goddamn board didn't twig to this gigantic management failure says a whole lot about their competence and governance, too.

Although, not so as you'd notice, given Lethlean's ridiculous statements yesterday, about Richo being 'our man', and doing exactly what Richardson has been doing ever more of, as the slide continues - dumping on the players, and thereby absolving themselves of any and all responsibility.

According to avid:

All decisions, job interviews and court cases should be conducted by people's mates and family members.
They have 'actual knowledge' of the person and arent bias at all.

Seriously comedy central.

Why dont we get Richo's mum to conduct the next performance review and Finnis's best mate and wife to review his contract? Actual first hand knowledge right?

Honestly the stuff we read on here.

Sounds like avid is fiercely loyal to his mate. Drinking the Kool Aid. Or has never met him and is just arky about someting or other. But avid - with your Topsy Turvy concept of bias - i suggest you dont go around lecturing on the topic.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

stonecold wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:52pm
derby Street wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:48pm

Disgraceful comment.

So you know him well?

Interesting comments Benny - I reckon I have seen this type of vocabulary in recent times. But did stop for a few days until you suddenly sprung up a couple of days ago ???? Surprised you haven't slotted something in about Ammet Bains ? Just sayin.

I thought the Huggins stand was gone.....
Its not Drake, its ConG.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Just another ID, how many can 1 poster have?....

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

BenLong#21 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:18am
Saintmatt wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 11:59pm
He’s very, very bright and very good at what he does.
Is it ok to ask exactly how you know this?
Our paths have crossed previously.

Go you red, black & white warriors
BenLong#21
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 12:10am
Cool story bro.

He probably is bright. Not questioning that.
And he is good at what he does.
Which is sell hope to the gullible.
Sell a rubbish product and dress it up as something shiny and new.
He is good at that.

avid
Club Player

BenLong#21 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 4:32pm

Disgraceful comment.

So you know him well?

According to avid:

All decisions, job interviews and court cases should be conducted by people's mates and family members.

Why dont we get Richo's mum to conduct the next performance review and Finnis's best mate and wife to review his contract? Actual first hand knowledge right?

Sounds like avid is fiercely loyal to his mate. Drinking the Kool Aid. Or has never met him and is just arky about someting or other. But avid - with your Topsy Turvy concept of bias - i suggest you dont go around lecturing on the topic.
You've just lampooned what I've said, which is pretty easy when you haven't read/understood what I've said.
I actually acknowledged that knowing someone personally will bring with it a degree of bias. Yes, there it is in line 2. So I'm obviously not saying his relatives would make the most effective job interview panel for him.
Acknowledging that, but saying that you display an even worse form of bias does not make me "topsey turvey". Possibly makes me more nuanced and accurate.
In real life I happen to know a fair bit about the topic of bias.
Your admission (elsewhere) to being something of a conspiracy theorist doesn't help your credentials in this regard.

BenLong#21
Club Player

avid wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 3:30am
BenLong#21 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 4:32pm

Disgraceful comment.

So you know him well?

According to avid:

You've just lampooned what I've said, which is pretty easy when you haven't read/understood what I've said.
I actually acknowledged that knowing someone personally will bring with it a degree of bias. Yes, there it is in line 2. So I'm obviously not saying his relatives would make the most effective job interview panel for him.
Acknowledging that, but saying that you display an even worse form of bias does not make me "topsey turvey". Possibly makes me more nuanced and accurate.
In real life I happen to know a fair bit about the topic of bias.
Your admission (elsewhere) to being something of a conspiracy theorist doesn't help your credentials in this regard.
Cool story!
You are making this all very personal. Mainly about yourself somehow (talking yourself up) but with a few personal totally off mark insults thrown my way.

I love when people come on a footy forum and claim they are 'experts' on something or another.
Are you a psychologist? Sounds more like a hobby. An ironic hobby too when you think about it. An expert on bias. You get irony right? Not to mention a conceited and pompous claim to some kind of superiority. Like a waiter in LA calling themselves an actor. Did you file a tax return for this 'expert' related income? Id say you were more an 'enthusiast'. Perhaps a zealot.
The conspiracy theory comments was a conversation starter. Seems you latched at on that with real vigour! I most certainly arent. This is a footy forum and as such some levity is involved. You seem to be on some very earnest crusade here... on a footy forum. Seems a tad desperate. But nice punctuation in your post. A lot of effort. Well done there. 10/10 for punctuation.

Now back on the actual topic and less about you telling the footy forum how smart you are.
Do you think Matt is doing a good job? Based on current observable results? On field? Crowds? Staff management? Marketing? Anything to actually add about that?
Do you think the decision to extend the AR contract until 2020 made in October 2017 was a sound decision for a CEO to make? Anything at all to say on that?
This is a footy forum. This is the topic.

Or this is just a pissing contest about you trying fill some sagging hole in your ego? Sounds like you are interested attacking me personally and amateur psychoanalysis.

Mods - please file this under off topic flaming.
Avid has no interest in discussing the topic subject but wants somehow make some personal rant and somehow attack me personally based on god knows what.
Once again ironic when you think about it. If you understand irony.

ace
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:36pm

Disgraceful comment.

Please!
Has got you fooled as well.
Come clean jaxons.
Are you someone who has taken over the name from the jaxons of last year or have some at the club really hurt you.
You seem to have turned bitter against those in power at the club.
Not what one expects from an insider.
Did you get the sack along with Trout, are you a relative or friend of Trout, are you Trout ?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 3:53pm

Disgraceful comment.

Please!
Come clean jaxons.
Are you someone who has taken over the name from the jaxons of last year or have some at the club really hurt you.
Did you get the sack along with Trout, are you a relative or friend of Trout, are you Trout ?
All fair and reasonable questions in the circumstances.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

BenLong#21 wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 12:24am
Saintmatt wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 12:10am
Cool story bro.

He probably is bright. Not questioning that.
And he is good at what he does.
Which is sell hope to the gullible.
Sell a rubbish product and dress it up as something shiny and new.
He is good at that.
I do like how when you're provided with a simple answer to your simple question that you resort to using "Cool Story Bro" as your passive/aggressive intro. Well done you.

For the record - I never said where my path and MF's had crossed; nor WHAT MF was good at yet, you naturally assumed it was in his ability to sell hope and rubbish products (presumably in a footy club context).

In any event - I'm not entirely convinced that MF is doing a great job on the football side of the business and in particular, his submission to the board to extend Richo is proof enough of that. My OP made note of this.

But, well done to you - you've just made yourself look like a pickle in constructing a set of assumptions to suit your particular narrative. Kind of like a year 10 school boy does.

Perhaps next time don't ask a question if you're not prepared to accept the good-faith answer from the respondent.

Go you red, black & white warriors
jaxons
Club Player

Disgraceful comment.

Please!
Come clean jaxons.
Just extremely disappointed at what I see and know has transpired at our club.
I support all at the club until I have a reason not to.
I see and know too much and our club is on its knees due to an appalling lack of great leadership.
I can sit there and say nothing or can vent my frustration when appropriate.
Would you prefer I say nothing?
If the answer is affirmative then won’t share it’s no problem.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Disgraceful comment.

Please!
Come clean jaxons.
I thought it was well established now that Jaxons was the club's previous janitor at Seaford. After the move to Moorabbin, he was replaced by another janitor, which has left him quite bitter with the club.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 8:37pm

Disgraceful comment.

Please!
Come clean jaxons.
I see and know too much and our club is on its knees due to an appalling lack of great leadership.
We prefer you to come clean - we get a thin overview but no real substance under your dome of impending doom in order for us to understand completely the issues at hand

From all we know you could be a destructive AFL worm sent to sow dissension amongst hardcore forumites/diehard Saintsationalists and spread the notion that the club is doomed and that future support is a pointless exercise ...... I wouldn't put it past them considering the AFL plants we have at the club currently

Whilst your insights are absolutely welcome they are currently unsubstantiated teases

Appling lack of great leadership? Can you expand? At player level? At all levels? Examples?

Help us .... help you ...... unless of course you are a worm :shock:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 8:37pm

Disgraceful comment.

Please!
Come clean jaxons.
I for one really appreciate your honesty on here it is one of the reasons I visit this site (plus I have followers/fans here like StPav and others I can’t dissapoint..) - I don’t need a blood test or birth certificate to identify you or in all likelihood put you in a difficult position at the club.
I do genuinely hope for a credible, alternative Saints ticket is brewing out there somewhere ....I doubt it but feel its now our only hope.

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 9:11pm I do genuinely hope for a credible, alternative Saints ticket is brewing out there somewhere ....I doubt it but feel its now our only hope.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 9:24pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 9:11pm I do genuinely hope for a credible, alternative Saints ticket is brewing out there somewhere ....I doubt it but feel its now our only hope.
Like it!
ObeWan has taught you well...

“Yeah….nah””
BenLong#21
Club Player

jaxons.
we need to hear from you oh wise sir. the club is completely stuffed and you know things.

avid.
whatever weird chip on your shoulder or insecurities you have. the world doesnt give two s***s if you are smart, dumb or anything in between. not two s***s. Get over yourself and get a sense of humour. start talking talking footy.

axcellence
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:40pm

Do you even know the guy?
Saw him speak at an event. Can confirm he didn’t sound very inspiring.

Vazelos
Club Player

Apparently our CEO is holidaying in France with his family.... takes holidays during the season!!!

BenLong#21
Club Player

So how is that 2 year AR extension recommendation by MF looking?

Doubling down on it to preserve the ego is going to take us all deeper in to the s***.

Time to rip off the band aid. Face reality.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Tue 07 Aug 2018 11:40pm Apparently our CEO is holidaying in France with his family.... takes holidays during the season!!!
I think this needs to be put in perspective........ He was getting to France the hard way....... swimming across the English Channel.

You may not know much about swimming the English Channel. You need to book nowadays a few years ahead. And it is only viable to attempt the swim at a certain time of the year. Summer, a window between late July - mid August when the tides are right etc. Even then your booking can be cancelled at the last minute because of weather/ sea conditions, plus shipping movements.

To add a further perspective to Finnis’ swim. His father has always wanted to swim the 3nglish Channel. It was I think his father’s 70 birthday this year. So it was planned that Dad, Finnis and Finnis brother and a cousin would celebrate the father/uncles birthday by doing a relay across the Channel to have Dad achieve his dream. More kudos to Finnis & family for wanting to do this. Great to see a family unite for the family patriarch. And as I say, it’s not just a sudden thing you can do. You have to book a spot years in advance - get the appropriate approvals etc. plus you need to be very flexible, as due to weather etc your swim can be put back days.

I know the swimming coach, who has trained many Channel swimmers (plus Australian medal winning marathon swimmers)has had the Finnis team training for this goal for quite some time. By all accounts Finnis was only to be away for at the max of 10 days. That was to allow for time to get to & from Australia - then to overcome any jet lag - and cross your fingers their team would be able to depart on the days they were allotted. You have to be flexible with times to do the swim. So you need a week time frame to maybe ensure you can get to go.

I don’t think after the swim to France, Finnis would be whooping it up on a lovely trip to France. From what I know it’s a real extended family affair - parents, brothers and cousins & their family members who are all very proud to greet them on the France beach as they struggle up the sand on wonky legs....... as you do when you finish a marathon swim 🏊‍♂️. believe me.

I think the only thing Finnis might be worried about - the man with the broom. Many a time a person has gone on holidays and a coup happens before or ‘pon their return. I don’t think Finnis could have predicted this ‘crisis’ would be happening this season when the family would have planned/booked their swim a few years back. Just my perspective on his ‘holiday in France during the season’!!!