Anyone at the Sandy game?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Anyone at the Sandy game?

Teflon wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 6:29pm
sunsaint wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 6:16pm
saynta wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 4:08pm Give the kids hope of getting a senior gig and see them shine.
I dont want to start a slanging match - but you cant say that here and then defend to the hilt the elevation of Gilbert in another thread.
positives...
Great to see Minch hitting the score board heavily its what we need
Bruce is back{?}
And I know it will never happen with our coaching staff - but - I just think the combination of Hickey and Marshall gives us so much versatility. We desperately need to find that ruck/rotating forward that can avg a goal a game
Great post and good point
I think posting consistency is important as it says the poster has a rational mind and has thought about what it is they’re saying
Too often there are many mindless numbats on here sprouting all sorts of rubbish as they feel the need to say something
Sad in a way.
Not quite following the logic there. 2 different issues.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Beating the Borough by 10 goals is pretty special.
So, Hickey got 34 possies, Marshall 24 and a goal. Solid fortnight from Hick. Competition for spots is never a bad thing. This is good motivation for Billy The Kid to really take it up to big Max tomorrow.
Sounds like Ian Cooper's grandson is a beauty too. 3 goals. We have to rookie list him at the end of the year surely.
Bruce kicked 3 as well. The forwards would want to have a good day, especially Membrey.
Apparently the other Irishman, Connellan, played very well too, and Freezer okay. Positive signs.

Tony74 - when is a return to footy likely for Acres and long?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 6:45pm
saynta wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 4:08pm Give the kids hope of getting a senior gig and see them shine.
I dont want to start a slanging match - but you cant say that here and then defend to the hilt the elevation of Gilbert in another thread.
positives...
Bruce is back{?}
And I know it will never happen with our coaching staff - but - I just think the combination of Hickey and Marshall gives us so much versatility. We desperately need to find that ruck/rotating forward that can avg a goal a game
I think posting consistency is important as it says the poster has a rational mind and has thought about what it is they’re saying
Too often there are many mindless numbats on here sprouting all sorts of rubbish as they feel the need to say something
Sad in a way.
:wink:

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

34 cheapies...

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Great response by Saints 2's and heaps of positives against a strong VFL club away. People were quick to bag the f*** out of them last week.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 8:49pm34 cheapies...
Be a nice change if Hickey's great performance was acknowledged rather than put down.

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

To the top wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 6:16pm The selection of some players, starting with Geary and Longer says it all about where St Kilda finds itself

IF the Coach and the selection Panel prefer these non entities on an AFL field of play then they need to be moved on.
I agree, I don't think Longer is even VFL standard.

No other coach in the AFL would give him a game

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 9:03pm
Be a nice change if Hickey's great performance was acknowledged rather than put down.
Just pre-empting Billy's agent.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

I think Hickey was obviously pissed that he wasn't an emergency over Pearce for this round. Hickey played well in the VFL last week too.

Maybe this is the kick start he needed. Spuds don't get 30+ touches in the 2nd best league in the country full of AFL and ex-AFL players.
Last edited by parkeysainter on Sat 30 Jun 2018 9:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

StPeter wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 5:21pm Hickey 23 possessions to 3/4 time?

That's more than Longer gets in a season!!!
Whack! Over to you Stoney

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 9:39pm
To the top wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 6:16pm The selection of some players, starting with Geary and Longer says it all about where St Kilda finds itself

IF the Coach and the selection Panel prefer these non entities on an AFL field of play then they need to be moved on.
I agree, I don't think Longer is even VFL standard.

No other coach in the AFL would give him a game
bulls***.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 6:03pm
longtimesaint wrote:Hickey had 34 possessions for the match!
When you spend all day on the ball you’re bound to pick up a few possessions.
Ooh, bitchy.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stonecold
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 9:47pm
StPeter wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 5:21pm Hickey 23 possessions to 3/4 time?

That's more than Longer gets in a season!!!
Whack! Over to you Stoney
Nice to see Tom play in a win for once, all be it in the 2's, good to see him find he's level!!!!! ;)

Just an oversized mid, not a ruckman, should have a good career at the level, increasing trade value!!!!!

Well done Hickledik!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
To the top
SS Life Member

There is no doubt that we have some players with good potential and the ability to impact on the results of games - but they just need maturity to deliver

So the likes of McCartin, Billings, Acres, Gresham, Clarke etc etc

Plus we have Carlisle and Steven

Past that we get to the reasons we sit where we sit on the premiership table - and the reason we finished last season as we did once Roo and Montagna had run their race

And those reasons include playing players who are role players so single dimension when single dimension players do not cut the mustard in what is the AFL competition of 2018

Geary and Longer lead the one dimension contingent and are why we are the bottom side in the competition

I would much prefer Hickey and Marshall developed as our rucking combination because both can COMPETE in the ruck contests AND impact around the ground so are not passengers for 95% of the game unable to even be an option to direct ball delivery to

stkfc1
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 6:27pm
didzee wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 6:02pm Sandy FB
FT 21.8.134 - port 11.13.79

WINNERS! One of our strongest performances for the year, as we get a big away win over Port Melbourne Football Club by 55 points.

Let’s make it 2/2 and get around St Kilda Football Club tomorrow afternoon 🙌🏼

Disposals: Hickey 34, Seccull 26, Minchington 25, Marshall 24, Answerth 24, Freeman 23.
Goals: Bruce 3, Lamb 3, Wright 3, Minchington 2, Haidon 2, Lonie 2, Seccull 2, Connellan, Phillips, Langlands, Marshall.
Lamb, Seccull and Answerth are all worth a look come seasons end.
Absolutely. All 3 could offer something. Seccull seems to be the standout but Lamb isnt far behind.

To the top
SS Life Member

And that brings us to the balance of the sides we put on the park

With Longer, because he has absolutely no value past contesting ruck contests he can just not be pushed forward looking for a mis match because he just cannot mark, cannot contest at ground level and can not chase - so why kick to him?

That lack of flexibility means when we select Longer we can not also select either Hickey or Marshall and have to rely on Bruce and Acres - and we know the outcomes there including the impact on the structure of the side

I would like to see St Kilda use both Hickey and Marshall because, as acknowledged they also have midfielder abilities therefore can both periodically be on the ground at the same time looking for a mismatch

The structure of the side is not then negatively impacted by having to ruck Bruce and Acres - or Carlisle

Acres, Carlisle and Bruce are just too bakiankr to ruck but Longer is forcing us to ruck them because we are playing a strictly one dimensional player in Longer who is a liability except at a bounce or a boundary throw in, so useless for 95% of game time

some muppet

saynta wrote: Sat 30 Jun 2018 9:03pm
also be nice if big lazar's great performance was acknowledged rather than put down. his tough love campaign is starting to pay off.

(satch' is just playing his part in that. :wink: )

is there some way i can 'like' lazar's next hickey post in advance?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

positives...
Bruce is back{?}
Sad in a way.
Let me be clear
Only posting on 1

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 12:04am There is no doubt that we have some players with good potential and the ability to impact on the results of games - but they just need maturity to deliver

So the likes of McCartin, Billings, Acres, Gresham, Clarke etc etc

Plus we have Carlisle and Steven

Past that we get to the reasons we sit where we sit on the premiership table - and the reason we finished last season as we did once Roo and Montagna had run their race

And those reasons include playing players who are role players so single dimension when single dimension players do not cut the mustard in what is the AFL competition of 2018

Geary and Longer lead the one dimension contingent and are why we are the bottom side in the competition

I would much prefer Hickey and Marshall developed as our rucking combination because both can COMPETE in the ruck contests AND impact around the ground so are not passengers for 95% of the game unable to even be an option to direct ball delivery to
Whilst I’m all in on Marshall (though he does need to find a key position to play), more and more I’m accepting that neither Hickey or Longer are simply good enough.

Longer is a vastly overrated tap ruck... he’s okay to average most of the time and capable of putting together good patches of time. Look at the GC game... had one reasonable quarter and many carry on as though he single handedly won us the game. The fact is he doesn’t get enough ball and he doesn’t have enough presence and all the bollocking and protecting mids that ppl bang on about is simply not enough.

Hickey isn’t nearly as good in the centre... heck at times he’s a liability in there and his around the ground game which was once the cornerstone of his style is near inexistant. Yeah he gets possessions but again, no presence... what happened to his mongrel... he used to take marks, hit tackles and have that crazy look in his eye.
His game against Port today is what his game should always been like.

Of the two, I pbly prefer Tom because he at least demonstrated that he had what it took for a while at least... but he’s had his go and now Billy deserves his.
It’s hard not to prefer that Tom succeed what with the extended smear campaign that’s gone on here by SCSS, Hickledic, the games passed him by, Tom doesn’t play in winning sides...
When you consider that we’ve had two lacklustre wins against GC and Brisbane... and pbly our best was against GWS and Hickey did his bit... well it’s a wonder why this a turned into a Hickey vs Longer debate but whatever

To be honest... I’m ready to put a line through them both and try a Marshall/Pierce combo and see if Lewis can, with an extended shot at it, demonstrate that he’s worth persevering with.

takeaway
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 1:17am
positives...
Bruce is back{?}
Sad in a way.
Let me be clear
Only posting on 1
?? Which one?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hickey and Longer are the best combination. Hickey has proven he can cut it around the ground, but Longer has the edge in the hitouts. The ruck coach needs to work with both of them. We gave up a lot to get both of those guys and they've both shown they can play.
If you talk about Hickey lacking physicality and then say bring in Pierce, that's a bit disingenuous, in my opinion. I think we keep both of those guys and get them working in tandem. A ruckman getting 34 possessions in one game against very good opposition one week, and 50 hitouts the week before against another warrants selection.
This is where I really wonder about our coach and the selection committee (and I'm tipping I'm not the only one here). Billings gets 50 possessions against Frankston who are really struggling and are barely VFL standard (and I barrack for them so I don't mean this unkindly) and boom, straight back in, and others who perform better against far more formidable opponents for weeks need to stay in the reserves to earn their way back in to the seniors with a block of games (which I agree with by the way). Too inconsistent by far for mine.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Its a sort of an unfortunate discussion/choice. When you see rucks like Ryder, Gawn, that Collingwood chap with the bun and Jacobs at times, they make such a positive difference to their sides. Ryder spiked a ball out of defence recently and I was amazed it didn't burst. It went further and more accurately than a Dunstan drop punt. I guess Michael Gardiners and Spiders don't come along too often (or Lazars!) but it would be good to look. Both Billy and Tom seem poorly coached. It is clear neither has the full confidence of AR but that Billy is the favourite child. In trying to fathom AR I am considering whether he is just old school hard/bloody-minded about some things and has invested so much faith in Billy he can't let go. I suspect neither can ever play with relaxed confidence knowing the other is just hovering at AR's whim. Marshall seems to have done something to annoy AR and Tom's inglorious interchange a couple of weeks ago dropped his share price considerably. Remember a couple of seasons ago we beat Geelong when Holmes' mighty leap dominated the ruck and Gresh kicked a miracle goal. That's the sort of rucking that has been missing even though the guy from USA wasn't so good around the ground. High on the list of the new recruiting team has to be a class ruckman, and Marshall doesn't deserve to be sent to Coventry. What to lose by giving L. Pierce a chance, even in tandem, if his form is as good as reported. But if the coach is here for the long term it is hard to see Billy or Tom or Lewis developing, unless a strong new assistant comes in and breaks the mould. (Now watch Billy give Gawn a hiding this arvo and AR look a genius, oh how I wish).

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 9:48am
Teflon wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 1:17am
positives...
Bruce is back{?}
Sad in a way.
Let me be clear
Only posting on 1
?? Which one?
You’re a bright banana ....work it out?

“Yeah….nah””
chico2001
Club Player

Hickey was dropped after 9 senior games. He has had ample opportunity to get 20 good possessions and prove he is a worthy senior ruckman. His spot was under pressure from Longer and he didnt respond. He was criticised by media and others etc after his last senior appearance. Now he gets 34 possessions in the magoos and he is a world beater.

Lets get serious.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sun 01 Jul 2018 12:54pm Hickey was dropped after 9 senior games. He has had ample opportunity to get 20 good possessions and prove he is a worthy senior ruckman. His spot was under pressure from Longer and he didnt respond. He was criticised by media and others etc after his last senior appearance. Now he gets 34 possessions in the magoos and he is a world beater.

Lets get serious.
Like I've said countless times (assuming you're not talking to me) and perhaps evidenced more over this W/E... I think neither are the answer.
Don't know that Marshall and or Pierce would do any worse.