We're on Track

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: We're on Track

I really hope the OP is right, but I’m extremely doubtful.

There just isn’t enough raw talent in the future core of Billings, Paddy, Acres, Dunstan, Ross, Long, Steele, Membrey, Webster and Gresham to form a very good team and to say that through natural attrition that it will happen in two to three years is wishful thinking.

Although we’re destined to bank a top 3 pick this year draft, our last two picks in the top 5 were used to get Billings and Paddy, both of which we currently WAY overplayed for, so again, it’s niave to assume that our first round pick this time around will automatically bear fruit.

The only way I can realistically see this current list going to the next level is to recruit two ready-made star players and when I say star, I mean elite players, preferably mids. Something this club has tried to do for a while now and has so far failed.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i thought two elites may do it - both mids - but we need a good tall forward that can kick goals. a really good one. and if roberton retires we need to find a good replacement.
we have a bunch that can become a good support cast, but none are really putting their hand up as an AA calibre player.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
spert
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 5:51pm I completely agree with the OP. Our list profile is much closer to Brisbane's and Carlton's, which is what our results are proving.

The thing that I'm not sure about is whether Richo can survive another couple of years of "development". Or is Richo gonna be our Mark Neeld??
I heard G Lyon talking about Melbourne's rebuild, and the coach was indentified as one of the problems, so he was let go. In our case, the club blames the players.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 9:00am
St Chris wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 5:51pm I completely agree with the OP. Our list profile is much closer to Brisbane's and Carlton's, which is what our results are proving.

The thing that I'm not sure about is whether Richo can survive another couple of years of "development". Or is Richo gonna be our Mark Neeld??
I heard G Lyon talking about Melbourne's rebuild, and the coach was indentified as one of the problems, so he was let go. In our case, the club blames the players.
The same G Lyon that endorsed Mark Neeld?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
spert
Saintsational Legend

Probably the same Lyon, but at least the club had the balls to get rid of the coach who was under performing

barneyboyz
Club Player

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 4:14pm That about sums it up for me!
And me

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 9:34am Probably the same Lyon, but at least the club had the balls to get rid of the coach who was under performing
Yes, and they've done that many times, as has our club. What's the success rate of that action? How many times have they got it right?
They are flying at the moment, but only time will tell if "good stuff" Goodwin is the answer.

It's easy to sack a coach. Finding a better one is a substantial challenge.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 10:07pm
So thoughts RF. Yay or nay on Richo?
Very good question.

I flip flop on this.

There's times when I feel like I want to march down to Moorabbin and personally walk him out of his office and chuck all his s*** out on the footpath behind him!

Then there's other times, when I think 'maybe he's onto something'. Maybe having a team being competitive with no real stand out talent is evidence that his method works? Maybe when he does have some talent, when his list matures, it'll all work beautifully?

The specific things that really bother me - are the 'bombing it in' offensive strategy, and the 'pressure' s*** he craps on about all the time. The other thing that worries me, is that we never really look to be playing well. We always look ugly, We always look like when we score, it was almost by accident.

So I do harbor some big concerns about him. The players seem to play for him, in terms of having a crack. So that's 'pleasing'. But is he a good teacher? Not sure. Is he teaching them the wrong stuff? Maybe.

My gut feel is that he's no good and needs to go at the end of this year. But placing him with an untried coach would be unnecessarily risky, unless the club 100% knows Richo is no good. If they do sack him, I'd have no problem with it - as long as he was replaced with an experienced coach.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 11:42am

It's easy to sack a coach. Finding a better one is a substantial challenge.
Agreed.

chico2001
Club Player

Richardson should be gone by years end if not sooner, looks like the worst coach in the AFL. Stands a very slim chance if the saints can win 5/6 in the back end of the season and that will still leave us about 14th. I just cannot see how this club will improve in 2019 with the current list, winning a few this year will give hope but the experienced group dont have the skill set to take us forward. Not going to get one of the top coaches so forget that everybody but may snag a good one sitting in the wings. Each club has about 6 assistant coachs' so that's about 100 to pick from.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

So who replaces Richo as coach is the next question? We need someone who loves a challenge. Clarko you can do it

Starting to get familiar with draftees as I am now focusing on 2019

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2018 ... -may-2018/

Sam Walsh is the front runner for us at the moment but a long way to go

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 1:18pm So who replaces Richo as coach is the next question? We need someone who loves a challenge. Clarko you can do it

Starting to get familiar with draftees as I am now focusing on 2019

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2018 ... -may-2018/

Sam Walsh is the front runner for us at the moment but a long way to go
If the coach gets replaced, then surely our recruitment personnel should be under the microscope also. All these first and second round selections and 5 seasons on, not a single A grader. Gresh and to a lesser extent Acres are the only ones that show signs of going to the next level. Billings has been with us for 5 seasons now and he's a purple patch player at best.

After Billings and Paddy, I just don't trust another top 5 pick in the hands of Trout and co, or any first round selection for that matter.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

As much as the OP is a fair argument, we can't fool ourselves where we are.
Paddy wont make it. Huge error.
But there is still hope.
Would live to see Clarko in charge of this list.
We are certainly better than we have been playing.
But without a new coach and some A graders, finals, let alone a flag, are pipedreams.

Nee!
saint64
Club Player

I think selecting Battle over Paddy this week would be more of an indication we are on track. Looks like Battle played pretty well last week and we must pick players on form alone.

saintadamski
Club Player

I'm loving what I'm reading here
Fugazi, saint64 and Sydney Sainter - all on the money - Finally some clear thinking without the rose coloured glasses.

Paddy and Billings - huge errors...Trout is incompetent and needs to go ASAP
The club needs to acknowledge their mistakes in recruitment and begin to look forward quickly.
Start playing Battle - he has true potential. Gresh and Acres have huge upside, and will flourish with better players around them.
Delist or relegate to VFL for good - Billings, Newnes, Weller, Armitage, Savage, Marshall, Paddy etc - and Geary is no captain.

We can turn this around - but not with Trout Elshaug - he is incompetent, and will continue to make incredibly bad list decisions.

Crossy66
Club Player

A bit hypothetical, but if both these players were getable next year, who would you draft based solely on these stat averages and assuming all other considerations were similar:

Average PG disposals: player A 19.7, Player B 18.6
Average PG marks Player A 4.7 Player B 3.0
Average Goal assists player A .78 player B .77
Average Clangers Player A 1.9 player B 3.15
Average free kicks given away player A 0.25 player B 0.8
average PG brownlow votes Player A .20 player B .04

Average rebound 50's Player A 1.15 Player B .78

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Crossy66 wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 3:30pm A bit hypothetical, but if both these players were getable next year, who would you draft based solely on these stat averages and assuming all other considerations were similar:

ok you sucked me in - clearly player A - who is it?

Crossy66
Club Player

freely wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 3:49pm
Crossy66 wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 3:30pm A bit hypothetical, but if both these players were getable next year, who would you draft based solely on these stat averages and assuming all other considerations were similar:

ok you sucked me in - clearly player A - who is it?
Thanks for playing :D

Player A is Jack Billings!
would you like to know who player 2 is?

saintadamski
Club Player

Based purely on stats you would pick player A - but stats alone are useless and purely hypothetical.
In the real world, the very first thing you look at is courage, ferocity, and leadership...you read a player's face, their reactions, and their ability to put in when the chips are down in real pressure situations....then you start looking at stats
Billings for example may have looked good on paper - but it's the real world tests where he fails miserably....

Elshaug has no ability at all to read people, and their potential. He must resign

saintadamski
Club Player

So are you telling me that we recruit player's based purely on stats? If so...we are worse than F***ked

Flagless
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 12:27am Ahh what a lovely feel good post, and so many delusional plus ones...let's all hold hands and dream of holding that silverware aloft, rose petals falling all around us.

The actual fact of the matter is that the playing list requires a cleanout and fast.

Geary is no captain, and in most sides wouldn't get a game in the first 22.
Then you have Billings, Savage, Newnes, Sinclair, Lonie, Steele, Weller, Armitage etc....say no more

Anyone that actually believes that this list is capable of taking The St Kilda Football Club to a premiership, or even finals for that matter, is in dire need of medical attention....or at least an eye test.

The rose coloured glasses on so many posters here, seem to see anyone that wears the red white and black as an instant son, to be welcomed into the bosom of our premiership imaginings, and NEVER EVER CRITICISED!

Watch a game, glasses off, and you can see the cold hard truth...Elshaug resign, list cleanout required....and fast.
Spot on, Its delusional to think this list can get us anywhere near a flag. There are far too many players with woeful foot skills but probably more importantly, lack of footy smarts. The only player on the list that I would consider "footy smart "is Gresham, the rest are just triers. Until they clean out the talent identification and recruiting department we will continue to flounder

Crossy66
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 3:59pm So are you telling me that we recruit player's based purely on stats? If so...we are worse than F***ked
Look i agree, stats only tell part of the picture. But its interesting that the stats quoted reflect output or results in some key measurables. Clearly Billings averages more disposals, takes more marks and coughs the pill up less than player B, who is in fact the muched revered Christian Petracca. The only major difference between them is Petracca has more contested possessions and Billings more uncontested, but thats got a bit to do with the way they are played. Billings is playing badly and returning these numbers... plenty of upside i would think

I think its easy to value what you dont have rather than what you do. I dont think Billings is the quite the bust.

saintadamski
Club Player

Of course you would cough up the pill more often if you were in the thick of the fight like Petracca is....anyone would, when 4 or 5 guys are trying to get the ball off you
The fact that he wins more contested possessions is a huge stat, as Billings can't win a one on one to save his life.
Billings was a huge mistake...from now on, contested possession kings, with hardness and strength.
Until then, we will be eating with a wooden spoon for decades to come.
Trade Billings now while we still have time. Another year of his rubbish will make him un-tradeable.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Paddy is going to be a jet. We need Paddy, Bruce and Members to play out the year together and build a chemistry. Them not being able to play together is arguably the single most reason why our progress has stalled.

Tall forward lines will be back in vogue by seasons end and if West Coast win the flag then Richmond's small forward line will be confirmed for what it always was, a one hit wonder.

Arguably our 3 tall forwards being injured and not being able to play together is what has caused the most instability in the team setup and development.

Crossy66
Club Player

saintadamski wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 4:19pm Of course you would cough up the pill more often if you were in the thick of the fight like Petracca is....anyone would, when 4 or 5 guys are trying to get the ball off you
The fact that he wins more contested possessions is a huge stat, as Billings can't win a one on one to save his life.
Billings was a huge mistake...from now on, contested possession kings, with hardness and strength.
Until then, we will be eating with a wooden spoon for decades to come.
Trade Billings now while we still have time. Another year of his rubbish will make him un-tradeable.
Not quite right, Billings averages 6.08 contested possessions pg versus 9.92 petracca - so he can get one to save his life. Also important to have a few outside types in any team. In fact i think we have a couple to many in and under types. Also have a look at the 2013 draft up to our next pick at 18 and with the exception of Bont and perhaps Cripps, he would still go around 4th or fifth (ahead of Boyd)