Great insights by David King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Great insights by David King

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 6:46pm as a Perth resident, went to the Rd 8 clash, we were lucky enough to be seated above the forward pocket
as the boys kicked those 3rd qtr goals.

Those goals came from being creative and opening up the forward line-
remember Gresh delivering to just in front of Stuv, it was a BRILLIANTLY precise kick,
because Stuv did not break stride; and was able to brush aside TWO dockers.

The corridor was open wide. It happened right in front of 300-500 screaming Sainters. Unforgettable.
Who is Stuv ?

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 2:51pm
Superboot wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 12:59pm If I looked up and saw our forwards standing in the goal square and there was no-one else to give it to I'd probably bomb it long too. Lack of movement among the forwards is also a basic problem. And then of course there's spilling the ball when you are on a lead or missing the kick for goal when you didn't spill the mark.
The other reason I think they often stand in the goal square, is that they know that that's where the ball is going. Just like every defender on the ground! It's clearly a strategy of Richardson's to have a tall in the hot spot to make a contest. If they lead, like McCartin regularly does, they just get ignored and have to watch the ball sail over their head to the waiting arms of defenders standing in the hot spot.
You might well be right, but it looks like a chicken and egg thing, and is self-perpetuating whichever way you look at it.

The only way to break the cycle is to get more movement. No point in kicking it where someone is supposed to have led but didn’t.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 7:11pm
WellardSaint wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 6:46pm as a Perth resident, went to the Rd 8 clash, we were lucky enough to be seated above the forward pocket

remember Gresh delivering to just in front of Stuv, it was a BRILLIANTLY precise kick,

The corridor was open wide. It happened right in front of 300-500 screaming Sainters. Unforgettable.
Who is Stuv ?
the boy from Lorne, from the Geelong Falcons Football Factory...just ask Bristle :shock:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

great and david king in the same sentence just doesn't sit right with me

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

ausfatcat wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 7:33pm great and david king in the same sentence just doesn't sit right with me
haha
you edited this just in time!

I remember King in that 97 final, in the mud, when Rod Keogh had ball in hand
and ran hard at him, daring King to tackle- King took a Billings-esque short step
to avoid contact.
3rd qtr IIRC

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
vacuous space
SS Life Member

David King knows exactly when to kick it long:

Yeah nah pleasing positive
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

How good was Harvs!....aah the good old days....remember when we played like we had balls?

How was his kick to the space for Gehrig....unspotted so far this year.

Nee!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 7:13pm
Superboot wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 12:59pm If I looked up and saw our forwards standing in the goal square and there was no-one else to give it to I'd probably bomb it long too. Lack of movement among the forwards is also a basic problem. And then of course there's spilling the ball when you are on a lead or missing the kick for goal when you didn't spill the mark.
The other reason I think they often stand in the goal square, is that they know that that's where the ball is going. Just like every defender on the ground! It's clearly a strategy of Richardson's to have a tall in the hot spot to make a contest. If they lead, like McCartin regularly does, they just get ignored and have to watch the ball sail over their head to the waiting arms of defenders standing in the hot spot.
You might well be right, but it looks like a chicken and egg thing, and is self-perpetuating whichever way you look at it.

The only way to break the cycle is to get more movement. No point in kicking it where someone is supposed to have led but didn’t.

I respectfully completely disagree.

I think blaming the offensive predicament on the forwards is simply incorrect.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 7:31pm

Who is Stuv ?
the boy from Lorne, from the Geelong Falcons Football Factory...just ask Bristle :shock:
Thanks

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Darth Vader
Club Player

“Great insights by David King”. A combination of words I never would’ve expected to see on Saintsational. Shows how low we’ve sunk.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Who is Stuv ?
Jacky Boy.

Steven not Stevens.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

How sad a buffoon like king sees this but our lot of incompetents either can't or can't fix it
Even IF it's the players fault for not following instructions the question still gets asked:
1. Why are you constantly selecting repeat offenders ALan?
2. Why does this club continue to tell us "this group just hasn't played to its capabilities" if players can't follow instructions and/or execute due to poor skills them I'd suggest we are guilty of grossly overestimating the playing group and for that alone coaches/recruitment ought to be gone afte 5 years to get it right

“Yeah….nah””
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 8:39pm

Not blaming the forwards. Just think the change has to start somewhere.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 12:31pm
rodgerfox wrote: Fri 25 May 2018 8:39pm

Not blaming the forwards. Just think the change has to start somewhere.
I think the change clearly needs to start in the coaches box personally.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 26 May 2018 10:06am

Who is Stuv ?
Jacky Boy.

Steven not Stevens.
Thanks