Lions currently ahead of Hawks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lions currently ahead of Hawks

I agree that we needed to use the draft and invest in our youth, but we needed to do it back when we had Watters. Did you agree with the sacking of Watters and were you glad that we kept Rooy happy the last 4 years?

The best way we were going to keep 'drinking from the draft' was to keep Watters and risk upsetting Rooy and senior players.

Were you in favour of allowing Rooy to remain as captain up until the end of 2016? Were you continuing to argue in 2014/2015/2016 that we needed to keep all senior players on the list and that the youngsters had to earn their spots? It's not like we were North Melbourne or anything...they kept their older players because they were at least contenders in those years.At the end of 2016 they made decisions in the interests of their youth. Look at them now

Were you in favour of McCartin being played at Sandringham while Rooy played at FF early last year, and I'm talking before Paddy had his concussion issue? Whether McCartin was going to be good enough or not, the fact that we preferred to favour an aging star instead of investing in our future, told me a lot about the mentaility of the club and the short sightedness and selfishness of people in charge of making those decisions. If there is any chance of future success St Kilda knows how to stuff things up royally

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lions currently ahead of Hawks

Scollop wrote: Mon 21 May 2018 12:18am I agree that we needed to use the draft and invest in our youth, but we needed to do it back when we had Watters. Did you agree with the sacking of Watters and were you glad that we kept Rooy happy the last 4 years?

The best way we were going to keep 'drinking from the draft' was to keep Watters and risk upsetting Rooy and senior players.

Were you in favour of allowing Rooy to remain as captain up until the end of 2016? Were you continuing to argue in 2014/2015/2016 that we needed to keep all senior players on the list and that the youngsters had to earn their spots? It's not like we were North Melbourne or anything...they kept their older players because they were at least contenders in those years.At the end of 2016 they made decisions in the interests of their youth. Look at them now

Were you in favour of McCartin being played at Sandringham while Rooy played at FF early last year, and I'm talking before Paddy had his concussion issue? Whether McCartin was going to be good enough or not, the fact that we preferred to favour an aging star instead of investing in our future, told me a lot about the mentaility of the club and the short sightedness and selfishness of people in charge of making those decisions. If there is any chance of future success St Kilda knows how to stuff things up royally
I think the mix of kids to ageing players has been wrong for sometime - as I said in the “torn” thread a year ago this side isn’t the future and some of our future we haven’t drafted yet and we need good picks to help us at least get into the conversation
I’m not and never will be a Watters fan - I thought he was a dud tbh perhaps just like you and some didn’t like Lyon but at least e had a structure that was ahead of its time and successful
Anyhow it’s now about the future - we simply have to have change from top down because right now I don’t see a spark for this club

“Yeah….nah””