Jon Patton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Re: Jon Patton

kalsaint wrote:Patton is struggling because he is immobile and mark kick blokes with NO AGILITY like him, McCartin and Schache are bloody dinosaurs in modern footy.

I wouldn't classify Membrey as a key forward at all either.
Your point on Membrey is a reasonable one. If he has endurance I would put him into the midfield and swap he an Acres until both have the endurance to be mids in their own right. Membrey is the same height as Petracca. Petracca's original analysis before v=being selected that he was great because he was a bull at packs, a great mark and could run forward and kick goals. Something I believe Membrey could do.

Having Membry and Acres up field running forward could allow a giant like Patton in the side.

I have had said regularly since Paddys draft I never thought the tall forward selection was a priority given our midfield need. I feel sorry for Paddy's bad luck with injury but could never understand the club not getting another forward further up the draft when Paddy started to succumb to injuries. The very least would be an option to trade later if the forwards started to click.

Having said all this I still believe a quality mid is required. If Membrey and Acres were used differently perhaps a young gun would be the target. Without taller , bigger bodies thrown into the midfield from our current crop of players we need a more senior inside player recruited. I am assuming we will get more luck with Freeman and other outsiders going forward. Not sure a complete clean out of players is the right choice unless we are all happy to wait another 5-7 years again for any finals.

Some of our key position selections must come around soon and get a bettr run with less injuries.[/quote]

Good post and discussion.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
congorozides
Club Player

I think Patton is a dinosaur - but he is still a clear upgrade on Goddard, Bruce, McKenzie and McCartin etc. He would easily make our best 22. So for a pick in the 20s Id take him.

Nothing contradictory about that at all.

He has kicked 124.70 from 84 games in his career - so at least he kicks straight!
Last edited by congorozides on Sat 12 May 2018 2:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

congorozides wrote:I think Patton is a dinosaur - but he is still a clear upgrade on Goddard, Bruce, McKenzie and McCartin etc. He would easily make out best 22. So for a pick in the 20s Id take him.

He has kicked 124.70 from 84 games in his career - so at least he kicks straight!
Yeah, he kicks straight NOW. Would be worried about him carrying that over to St Kilda.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

congorozides wrote:I think Patton is a dinosaur - but he is still a clear upgrade on Goddard, Bruce, McKenzie and McCartin etc. He would easily make our best 22. So for a pick in the 20s Id take him.

Well you can't compare him to Goddard or McKenzie, but I reckon he is just as good as either Bruce or Membrey, definately McCartin and at this stage in their careers definately Battle and Marshall. Why wouldn't we want him then? At Ethihad his goal kicking would probably improve.

This is the Saints problem a little bit. Yes, we have heaps of tall targets up forward but why not upgrade the position. If it pushes someone out then stiff s***. Same as if we get a better FB or CHB.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Any bloke that gets dropped from an opposition team we'll have a look at and discuss here

Any bloke that looks like they can play better or kick better than any of our players we'll have a look at

Any player coming out of contract at the end of 2018-2025 we'll have a look at

All sound to me like we are desperate and not looking at the real problem. The coaching...

Focus on getting the right structures within the club and focus on recruiting the best coaches first and that will fix the coaching and footy development. Our young players are not getting a chance to perform at their best. Everything will fall into place after that

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If we could get Patton for a reasonable price we'd be mad not to go after him. He's on the outer at GWS and could be someone who they look to move on to ease the salary cap pressure. He's probably on 500k there and we could offer him 800k over 4 years without having to push any decent player out of our list or even increase salary cap pressure.

He may not be a superstar but he is approaching his prime and should be a 40-60 goal full forward who is very handy as a backup ruck. McCartin needs to retire for the sake of his health and we don't have another power forward on the list.